Author Topic: quarantine  (Read 4243 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
quarantine
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:33:02 pm »
I just finished watching the movie and I am not a big fan of scary movies but it wasn't too bad. I didn't realize it was a zombieish movie. I kept saying "You have a freaking hammer, use it!" hehehe....people with rabies XD

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
Re: quarantine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:37:04 pm »
The main chick in that movie annoyed me sooooo bad! I kept yelling at the people to do SOMETHING to fight the rabies people like the whole time. lol XD
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »
Hated that movie. The ending was cool, but they shouldn't have given away her being dragged in the trailers. >0>

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »
yeah that did kinda suck. I knew that was how it was going to end though.

I like how they did the....zombies....or whatever.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:42:52 pm »
The whole 'hiding in the dark' thing was awesome. And the crazzzy old lady.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:49:06 pm »
I can't believe I haven't seen it yet. I told myself I'd see it in theaters, and Kahlan wouldn't let me cause she thought it'd be too scary on a big screen (wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuss, lol). I still think it looks killer, but I've heard a mixed bag of responses.

I love love love horror films of all shapes and sizes (well, as long as they are nothing like Jennifer's Body or Sorority Row), so I definitely have a soft spot for the "crazy things in the dark" perspective, heh
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:49:58 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:39 pm »
I can't believe I haven't seen it yet. I told myself I'd see it in theaters, and Kahlan wouldn't let me cause she thought it'd be too scary on a big screen (wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuss, lol). I still think it looks killer, but I've heard a mixed bag of responses.

I love love love horror films of all shapes and sizes (well, as long as they are nothing like Jennifer's Body or Sorority Row), so I definitely have a soft spot for the "crazy things in the dark" perspective, heh

now that was uncalled for... >.<

but i do want to see the movie

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:58:45 pm »
Sawwy, I take it back. ^_^ We're both wussies, it's okay.

We'll see it eventually. I'm sure of that much.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:01:48 pm »
saw that with my friend and hubby, i liked the way it was from the point of view of a studio camera with out making me feel like i was going to puke or have a really bag camera

the main actress is so differnt in dexter
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:02:38 pm »
I actually want to see Jenifer's Body.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:06:38 pm »
I like that actress (the lead from "Quarantine"). I know her from "White Chicks" and, more awesomely, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". That movie rocks my socks off with some truly horrific scenes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:07:24 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:16:47 pm »
in dexter she has the biggest potty mouth ever, given  a thought of who swears more between her and jay (from kevin smith movies) jay wins but she is a bit more aggresive

was looking up her info and she is married to the guy who plays dex, and she plays his sister on the show,
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:32 pm »
I actually want to see Jenifer's Body.
Yes! Yes in every shape and form!
Jennifer's Body is a must see for me.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:26 pm »
But yes. I remember going to see Quarantine with my dad and my bestie. I love movies like The Blaire Witch Project and Cloverfield so this was obviously something I wanted to see. There were some creepy yet awesome things to the movie like the rabie-infected dog, then the girl then the people... *shudder in excitement*. I too didn't like the idea that they gave away the main character (By the way, I give a cookie to anyone who can tell me what show the girl is on).
I enjoyed it very much, but I look to the side of me and notice that my poor friend was shuddering cause he was so scared. Lol I can't believe he's such a pussy about it. xD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:34:28 pm »
I'm getting the feeling only a couple types of people will like or want to see Jennifer's Body.

And I'm not gonna say what kind of people those two types are.

I'm not one of either.

But yes, rabid things. Fun times, lol
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:34:49 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:41:05 pm »
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but let me just put this out.

Anybody that liked the movie Juno will like this movie.

Anybody that likes Megan Fox will like this movie.

Anybody that likes Amanda Seyfried will like this movie.

Anybody that likes music from these bands will like this movie:
All Time Low
Panic! At the Disco
Dashboard Confessional
Cute Is What We Aim For
Cobra Starship

Got a thing for teenage horror? Jennifer's Body.

Cannibalistic fun? Jennifer's Body.

JENNIFER'S BODY PEOPLE!!!!
Kay I'm done ranting lol.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:45:41 pm »
And now I have eleven more reasons to never, ever see that film, lol.

I know it's a preferential thing, but personally everything about the film disgusts me. My standards have been raised way too high by years upon years of fantastic and legacy-setting horror films to sit by and see people proclaim that abomination as "horror" in any right. Makes my skin crawl.

But yes, it is a preferential thing, and I need to let it lie, lol.

And I've digressed. Sorry about that.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 12:03:38 am »
That's too bad, but as I said before, everyone's entitled to their opinion. :)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 12:09:30 am »
I would just say, if you think Jennifer's Body looks good, you'll probably like Ginger Snaps (and the two films that followed it). That's a brilliant horror film equating lycanthropy with "the transition to female adulthood." It makes the connection amazingly well, and does it with some genuinely horrific flare and creativity, while not throwing itself too far into its meaning.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:06 am »

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 12:19:41 am »
Well, I looked up this movie and I doubt I'll see it. I absolutely adore horror movies, but can't stand zombie movies or zombie-esque movies. Blame it on the fact my sis played Resident Evil and I watched when I was... like four. xD So I love them, but this would scare me far, far too much. o.o I even have a hard time with the Resident Evil movies, yet I can sit through JU-ON and laugh. xD
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 12:49:10 am »
JU ON IS funny! And so is the movie Ringu. Both seem so silly to me. xD

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:58:39 am »
"You have a freaking hammer, use it!"
I watched this movie the night before Sakuracon while surrounded by a bunch of mostly naked DDR players.  This line sums up the movie, and in retrospect, seems really homoerotic given the circumstances.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 01:00:11 am »
"You have a freaking hammer, use it!"
I watched this movie the night before Sakuracon while surrounded by a bunch of mostly naked DDR players.  This line sums up the movie, and in retrospect, seems really homoerotic given the circumstances.
wtf tofu the is fed up i did not know you rolled that way
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:07:33 am by HardstyleZombie »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 01:09:38 am »
Hey dude, they were DDR players.

What would you have done?

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 01:16:16 am »
i dont play ddr naked or half naked with guys by my self maby

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 02:02:03 am »
The Cooler/original Version of this movie is Called REC.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Enjoi
Team Koga

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:52 am »
I'm almost tempted to watch REC to see if they did a better job with it, but I'm kind of guessing they'd still run out of cool, believable deaths well before the end of the movie.

I do like the notion of what the disease is, but I don't like how inconsistent it was.  I also don't like that it wasn't very consistent with the actual disease (at the infection rate, those infected should have only observed critical symptoms for 3 or 4 hours before dying).  I felt that the end was way too drawn out, and didn't really make a lot of sense.  They also made the zombies too powerful.  Now, had the disease been some obscure strand of PCP that somehow managed to mutate into a virus, I would understand how an old lady could cause so much damage, and just get up and walk away after being shot numerous times, but it just didn't line up.  They made it out to be a lot more of a threat than it really was.

Sorry for being kind of vague.  Trying not to post too many spoilers here.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 11:20:13 am »
well in the movie they were saying it was like rabies but not because it was progressing too fast so it could have been a mutated form of rabies, if that were the case you can't really say what it is and isn't capable of doing because it is (and was supposed to be) something that no one has seen before.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:20:25 am by nikkiolie »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:35 am »
Okay, well there goes any chances of not posting any spoilers.

Anyway, I can very definitely argue that the approach was not scientifically sound.  Now, you have to understand me to understand how I critique movies.  First, classification:

1. Comedy

2. Science Fiction

3. Fantasy

4. Boring

Now, if it's boring, I don't care.

If it's Fantasy, I don't care.

If it's comedy, I don't care.

If it's Science Fiction though, it better be more scientifically sound than the theory of gravity if I'm going to find it intriguing.

Now, the thing about disease strand mutation is that genetics mutate one step at a time.  The first step would be for it to become an airborne strand of rabies.  This would infect all the animals in the building, they'd go crazy, then they'd all die, either through euthenasia or by the disease, because rabies does kill the host, which is why it's not a realistic threat.  The second step, which wouldn't happen because all of the hosts would already be dead, and so would the virus, would be for the effects of aggression, rapid salivation, and light sensitivity to begin effecting humans similarly to how it effects animals.  The third step in the mutation process, which, again, wouldn't occur because rabies kills too quickly to mutate extensively, would be for the disease to incur traits that would cause the host to develop ignorance to physical harm, increased physical strength, and reduced social rationalization.

A few other things that weren't considered:

1. A rabid animal in the wild is quite a bit weaker than a healthy animal in the wild.  The disease decrepifies the host.  Likewise, a strand which mutates to infect humans in the same way would cause those humans to be sluggish, weak, and jumpy.
2. Rabies does not cause the infected to go hunt down prey.  It causes them to become aggressive and easily startled.  Basically, the infected would not become flesh-eating zombies; they would just become lethargic and unpredictable.
3. The old lady wouldn't have been sitting on her couch staring at her TV; she would have been tweaking out in a corner.  And the dog?  She would have been constantly under the impression that the dog was trying to kill her, and would thus be lashing out at it, and it probably would have just killed her because it was a big freaking dog.

Again, I'm very critical of science fiction.  Now, had this movie not made any attempt at having an explanation, or had just said it was a biological weapon (it did hint at this notion near the end of the movie, but it still didn't try to explain the infection this way; it just threw it out there to give conspiracy theorists another thing to lie awake at night being fearful of), I would just have said, "okay, whatever, another zombie movie with a retarded ending because they ran out of good deaths...before anyone even died."  But instead they tried to make it seem realistic, which ruined it IMO.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 08:42:28 am »
Hmm, I appreciate your knowledge of the subject, Tofu. I haven't even seen the movie yet, but the film aside, I just really appreciate everything I just learned, heh. Thanks. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 09:13:48 am »
Demon baby in the attic D:

And I liked the movie.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:16:29 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music