Author Topic: Shaping Up Cosplayers' Hikes (Next wlak/hike: Feb 20th! maybe at Hoyt Arboretum)  (Read 23892 times)

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
S.U.C.H. is a idea I had that might be fun. I know I always want to be in shape to fit in a cosplay I want to do for the con but always end up delaying it. Putting off the exercise, thinking "I still have time" but then it's the end of august again and there is no time left. For 2010 I really want to do a cosplay and thought, if I start now I can do it! But it has been a week since the con ended and I have not even touched the gym once. I relisted though that I did walk a lot when I was at the store with my son this week, school stuff shopping. And I was like, THAT'S IT! Walking with people always makes it so much easier, makes the walk go by faster.

So, here I am with S.U.C.H., a wonderful plan. hehe, okay, that was lame. ^^; What is the plan? it will be a group of people going to the con next year who all want to shape up some for it. I figured the best thing would be to go hiking or walking at nature parks. Where the group can talk about the latest manga they have read, or a game they want to share. Just have fun and enjoy each other’s company while walking off some unwanted pounds, and encouraging each other on the shaping up goals. Maybe have a healthy picnic snack sometimes too. (loves picnics.)

I was thinking of maybe trying to have it at least once a month. Maybe the same nature park every time, or each time a different one. The group can change, so if you can make it one month and not the next you well still be welcomed. And new people will be welcomed to join at any time.

Would anyone be interested in this? Have any ideas to add?

Website (which is still very much a WIP):
http://suchsite.webs.com/

Update -
Hike dates - Location - Time

(Over)Oct 17th 2009 - Mount Tabor Park  - 2:30 pm
Evite to RSVP
http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/DLHPCEOLACSHNLPBTTPV/SUCH1
(Over)Nov 21st 2009 - Hoyt Arboretum - 1:00 pm
Evite to RSVP
http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/TFZEIYTKDJYWVMIYCELG/trees

Feb 21st 2010 -  Hoyt Arboretum (maybe) - 1:00 pm (maybe)
Mar 21st 2010 - TBA
Apr 18th 2010 - TBA
May 30th 2010 -  TBA
Jun 27th 2010 - TBA
Jul 25th 2010 - TBA
Aug 22st 2010 -  TBA
Sep 19th 2010 - TBA - Post KCon Hike, Meeting about next year's events

Feb 20st 2011 - TBA
Mar 20st 2011 - TBA
Apr 17th 2011 - TBA
May 29th 2011 - TBA
Jun 26th 2011 - TBA
Jul 24rd 2011 - TBA
Aug 21th 2011 -  TBA
Sep 18th 2011 - TBA - Post KCon Hike, Meeting about next year's events[/center] Nox, Kaineferu, and Rikku Takanashi are the tree I owe them to.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:52:43 am by Roddy Manic »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Shaping Up for the Con Hikes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:15:37 am »
Sounds like fun. I would be up for it :D

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 02:05:13 pm »
Yup. Hey, I even got a nature park right next door!

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:03:37 pm »
Holy Crap! If this happens I will totally go!  I need to exercise, but I get really embarrassed. :(
Done:
Garterbelt (Panty & Stocking)
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:10:21 pm »
I would love to go~!
If it isn't in Vancouver, I'd probably have to find a ride though. ;3
Hiking is pretty fun if you're with friends~!

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:09:33 pm »
This does sound like fun! Where would we do it? I live in Salem and work Monday - Friday 8-5. xD; I'm a cubicle monkey D:
2011:
Larxene 30% (have the wig/makinng knives) CHANCES ARE NOT HAPPENING as coat fell through AGAIN.
Yuri KOF 100% (might bring this back so I have a costume!)

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »
You've definately got my attention <3 xD Maybe this'll stop me from passing out at con, like I did this year(It happened in my room though, so I'm okay. ^^;;)
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:35:40 pm »
Count me in. I need to lose the poundage. When and where is all I'll be asking. xD

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:01:44 pm »
This is great. ^^ I'm getting excited. I live in beaverton, OR. But drive and con also give people a ride. So I guess first step is figuring out where people live and how far they are willing to go. Second is a park, I have a book about hiking that has a lot of parks listed on short hike routes for them. I can have any day off as long as I have 2 weeks notice to ask for it off. So what times is best for everyone is a quetion too.

Where Am I: Beaverton, near the thriftway at 185th and Farmington (you can give a crossroad near you, mine given is within 5 minute drive. Or furthy or closer or just the city, whatever you are comfortable with.)
Time: Anything with 2 weeks notice
How Far: I guess no more then a 60 minute drive. (you can add here if you'll need a ride too. like, "anywhere on the max line unless I have a ride then anywhere 45 minutes away" something like that.)

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:05:56 pm »
Weekends are the only time that work for me. I don't have vacation xD When I do get my vacation I'm saving it up for a family vacation or a roadtrip next year. x3;

I live in Salem but am willing to drive to the Portland/Beaverton area. I'm also willing (if people pitch in for gas) to take up to 4 people from the Salem/Keizer/Dallas/Independence area with me if they don't want to drive but want to go.
2011:
Larxene 30% (have the wig/makinng knives) CHANCES ARE NOT HAPPENING as coat fell through AGAIN.

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:18:10 pm »
I live in the tigard area and I'm willing to take trimet as far as posibul. If any farther than trimet can go, I would need a ride.
Done:
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:24:04 pm »
I'm at the Portland/Happy Valley border, by the freeway's Johnson Creek exit. I can get anywhere that the Max/bus line will take me, maybe... I don't have infinite bus passes anymore until the C-TEC program (for poor and underpriviledged working students) works out it's budget troubles so I'll need to scrounge up change. Unless I get a ride from someone.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 10:50:11 pm »
I live in SE Portland, I'm not sure if I'll be able to join in with the hiking cause I've honestly never left Portland so I wouldn't know where to go. lol

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 10:57:56 pm »
I need to get to bed. But I'll look for the book some more tommorrow and will post some I find after work.

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:56 am »
What would be awesome is if we can start a chain or something within different regions of Oregon. That way for those who can't reach Beaverton can come to Portland or something. Just an idea. ^_^;;;

Offline konekokitty

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 02:52:07 am »
This sounds pretty cool! (I never get around to exercizing either XD) I'll go if it's at a time when I'm free.

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:26 am »
Only flaw with that is if it doesn't get big enogh. walking with like 3 people you feel you have to keep up where if there is 5 or more, then you are more likely to find someone who walks the pace you do. I am more then willing to give rides if we go somewhere too far from beaverton.

Also, I was thinking maybe Oct 17th for our site hike.

Okay, I figure the schedual out and added it to the first post. It is always a Saturday. I figured December and August are bad times any time the mouth so no walk those months.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:55:47 am by Roddy Manic »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:31 am »
OMFG where have you been this whole time we've had http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=10113.0 ???
Oh well, so this is possibly going to be one of the shape up groups huh?  Sounds good to me, I'm free anytime, and can bike anywhere within 10-20 miles, any further and I'd be too tired to walk and would need a ride hehe.  I'm more in it for the getting out of the house and talking to people who enjoy all this site covers. 

So I'm just throwing this out there, but if we are going to do this we should get organized!  List of things we should have somewhere (not necessarily on the forum) for easier get to get togethers. Making our own web site is always an option.

List:
Car pools, who can, what area they will be able to pick up, and who needs. 

Are we doing regional (full state) get get togethers?  If so different people can set up different groups and events.

How far you can travel? (carpool if not?)

Availability time/dates people have open (mostly just for starting out so we can make better decision what day of weeks work best)

Who our members are?  Make a list!

Lastly I wouldn't cross off dec, aug completely, people are all different on when they like doing things.
As for the other shape up link,  This could easily turn into multiple groups for different things, one for walks others for exercising in general.  Its up to everyone here, what do you all think? ^.^

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 06:58:23 am »
I'm excited! The 17th of October works great for me! :D

Camname: I agree with make a huge list of things like what you listed. Even if we didn't make our own website our own little forum to discuss and update information about the walks an other such stuff.

I look forward to this!
2011:

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 02:01:26 pm »
Alright, our first one's going to be the 50 mile hike at Black Butte. *busts out scout uniform, boots and trail mix* Oh wait, even I never got to go on that one.

But yeah a hike through a state park should work as a start. I don't have a bike, but I can walk. A good start for the people in Portland is to maybe walk up and down Waterfront Park a couple times.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 04:36:15 pm »
I would agree, for the first walk start off smaller.  Make it more of a meet and greet with a nice view and walk.  While the waterfront is a nice view, I don't know if that's much of a walk.  What do you think Roddy Manic?

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:09 pm »
Yeah, A short one for the first would be good. Where it ends someone with picnic tables maybe so we can meet and great before the walk and have a healthy picnic/snack. I am looking for the book now.

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:10 pm »
Seems like an interesting idea. If I'm free on the 17th, I'll go.

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:12 pm »
After today's ankle explosion I'm agreeing that starting off small sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping these walks will actually help strengthen my ankle right now.

xD I don't even think I could do a 50 mile hike... I died doing a 7 mile hike ;-; Granted it was up a steel rocky hill
2011:

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »
LOL 50 mile hikes are weekend (if not full week) hikes, with full hiking backpacks.  I do not see that happening with this group unless there are other outdoor lovers here like myself (who are not totally out of shape, when is the last time you traveled even 10miles on foot?).

I like the idea of having our first walk where there is a nice place to sit or eat light before or after.  Most any place have picnic tables somewhere, so that doesn't limit us at all.

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:23 pm »
lol Never. xD though the seven mile hike was at the begining of August.
2011:

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »
I may bike 20+ miles in a day, but the most I ever actually hiked in one consecutive "trip" was probably 15miles without a long rest of a day or so.  So 50 miles is like wtf even to me. :D  BOY SCOUTS 4 LIFE!! *dreams of meriwether*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:42:24 pm by camname21 »

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 08:39:33 pm »
Oh good, I'm not the only one where when I saw the words "50-mile hike" were like oh dear god...
Done:
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »
The 17th is good for me. I live in SE Portland and can get anywhere the MAX goes, need ride after that. Don't have a bike, can bring some healthy snacks for about 5 people. Just need to know when and where. I definetly want this excersise group to go on as long as possible because it would be a great motivator for me.
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 05:45:25 pm »
When I lived in Colorado for three years, I use to backpack all the time. Sadly, it's been so long since I have I am not sure how well I would be at backpacking now. Maybe we can have that be are final goal for the last hike before the con. ^^; Or not.

Okay, update, I have not found my hiking book yet. Found my backpacking one and will look in it to see if there is anywhere that has dayhikes too. But going to look a few more places before I give up. and if I have no luck finding it or some place in my other book, I can always just buy a new one tomorrow.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »
You changed your pic!  who is that?

Offline SirenMarina

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 07:24:07 pm »
i like the sound of this a group activity to keep fit and to be around people who are just epically amazing...I'm in
Kumo 2012:
Day1 America-APH (Day two?)
Day2 Karkat-HS (Day one?)
Day3 Barnaby Brooks-T&B

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 07:44:18 pm »
Another! Yeppy!

She is Mete Mouya, a vocaloid, I am cosplaying her next year. ^^

Okay, good news, my room is a LOT cleaner... bad.. didn't fnd the book. So, I am just going to head to the store and get a new one. I'll post some maybes when I get home.

Offline UtadaFan20

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:30 pm »
We could do something like the Waterfront or the Japanese gardens to start out. There is also another garden next to the Japanese one don't remember what its called though. I don't know how to drive there but it is easy to get to by MAX, and it would be good for people who can't go to far out of portland.
Kumoricon 2012??????

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:17 pm »
I have a fairly complete mental map of about 30 different parks and trails throughout the Portland area that we could use.  I'll definitely be attending these any time I'm able to.

I suggest the following hikes (or bikes):
Terwilliger - Downtown to Hilsdale (there's a Thai Restaurant in Hilsdale called City Thai which I would recommend as a post-hike eatery.  Excellent food; excellent price)
Mt Tabor Park - Base to Summit
Springwater Trail - Reed College to Downtown (I recommend this as a bike trail; might not be very good for hiking)
Multnomah Falls - any trail would be great during the summer

And there are plenty of others.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:25 pm »
Yeah that reminds me I am near Mt. Tabor.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 01:06:57 am »
I have to bike 10miles or more to get anywhere in portland as it is, I should just make a bike group that goes and chills at the parks and has lunches together before heading back home.  Problem is I'm to lazy to make a schedule with events and keep it running :D  

Mt. Tabor isn't even a Mountain :(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:09:18 am by camname21 »

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:37 am »
Flaw with the Japanese garden is it cost to go in.

Mount Tabor Park is in my book, and seems like a good one. the loop it maps is a 2.8 mile hike. Approximate time is and hout to and hour and a half. And we can always edit it to make it shorter, which looks rather easy to do. it's no fees and is open 4am to midnigt, so no rush to when we go.

This is the Route I would take, so I can pick anyone, up to 4 people (forgot my back holds 3), that is on the way or can get to a max station that is on the way. (the max el.. Elmonica? the one near 170th is the closest to me.)

If this works then:
Who is in? So I know who many snacks to pack in the picnic.
What foods (healthy ones of course.) do you like?
What time should we go?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »
wow; that's actually sorta close to me, the park is. I live off of highway 205, by Johnson Creek/92nd area.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »
I only live a few blocks away from Mt. Tabor. I took the stairs there once (and I had a scooter). It was exhausting, but I bet good exercise!~ x3

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:36 pm »
I'm totally in for this! Sounds and looks like fun! Closer to the date though I'll need an exact address of the meeting point so I can put it into my gps xD Else I'll never be able to show up *gets lost easily*.

For heatlthy snacks: I like most fruit, nuts, and some granola bars.

I'm open for times, I live in Salem so it takes me about an hour to get to Portland.

Also! I was being silly and realised: If you live in the Salem/Dallas/Independence/Keizer area and want to go I can take up to FOUR people with me... I'll extend it to Woodburn as well unless there is some who lives in Silverton that REALLY wants to go but has no way of going (I live in West Salem so Silverton is further away from me than the on ramp for I-5 Northbound is. lol)

If you want a ride from me either send me a message here or you can send me a text 5038510399. Just know that I work 8-5 monday through friday so I don't respond until after work.
2011:

Offline Kaiware

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:00 pm »
Ooh, I'm totally up for this on the weekends I have time.  I live in NW downtown Portland and could also carpool (room for 3 people).  However I'd only be up for hikes relatively close in.  I live a block away from Macleay park so we should do that sometime!  :D

You can count me in for the first meeting if it is close in to portland!  Sounds like fun!

I can bring some delicious fruit.  I work in a produce department so it's easy.  :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:22:20 pm by Kaiware »
Kumoricon '06: Akio (Utena)
Kumoricon '07: Lust (FMA)
Kumoricon '08:Yuuko (XXXholic) & Eclair (Kiddy Grade)
Kumoricon '09: Nadie (El Cazador de la Bruja)
Kumoricon '10: ??

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 06:39:06 pm »
I wouldn't be able to go this weekend :(  Maybe next one?
Done:
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »
I wouldn't be able to go this weekend :(  Maybe next one?

There isn't any this weekend. The first one is next month on the 17th.

Offline SirenMarina

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 10:03:30 pm »
I was looking at the dates of the hikes and realized something...we are going to be Hiking

ON MY BIRTHDAY lols

02/20/10
awesome
Kumo 2012:
Day1 America-APH (Day two?)
Day2 Karkat-HS (Day one?)
Day3 Barnaby Brooks-T&B

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 10:17:39 pm »
I was looking at the dates of the hikes and realized something...we are going to be Hiking

ON MY BIRTHDAY lols

02/20/10
awesome

We SO have to have a special bday for you hike that day! and maybe have it early so not to mess up any later in the day plans for ya. ^^:

And we have a website now.
http://suchsite.webs.com/
It is still VERY WIP. Any input ideas let me know.

Offline NekoAkiko

• Sailor Scout
    • Faded Reality
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34:59 pm »
Yay! *signs up* This will be fun! Have a little site with a photo gallery to post pictures from the hikes on. I don't know if I've ever been so excited on getting ready for cons... evar.
2011:

Offline Fudgie MD

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 11:06:54 pm »
You can count me in.  I love hiking.
Strip the flesh.
Salt the wound.

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2009, 12:45:24 pm »
This sounds very interesting, and sounds like a good idea to me.
I could definitely use some shaping up... or a lot of it. I'd probably be quite interested in this. :)

However, I have bad asthma... So I might have to break every once in a while if it gets too cold or something, if that's alright...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:46:40 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2009, 04:42:41 pm »
Wow, I feel stupid XD. 

I'll try and go to the first one, but no promises.
Done:
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform