Author Topic: Large dress's  (Read 2057 times)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Large dress's
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:49:46 pm »
how do I get stuck with these cosplays xD if you count peach I have three of them for 2010 D:

ah well, so who else knows the burden of large dress's? be them large in width or with that nice long train?

and can others agree with me that stepping on your dress in heels is a pain D:
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Large dress's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:25 pm »
Woman, you know I know the burden of large dresses.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »
xD this is true.

you have a dress far larger than mine, on stilts.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:46:57 pm »
I'm making one for next year, as you probably already know (since I asked you where to get the hoop skirt. lol)

I love big poofy dresses, so I will be in heaven the whole time I'm wearing it.
But since you guys have actually worn them before, what situations does it become a burden? like going to the bathroom, or trying to fit into one little chair D:

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:57:30 pm »
My only encounter with them is sitting on the front row sidelines of a small room during an installation of new officers for a youth sorority, and having to think thin as the skirts walk by. But somehow they manage to maneuver around well enough.

It's like driving a very pretty monster truck through an alley. And in crowds like rush hour in LA.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:48:19 pm by TurboSaiyanJason »
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:09 pm »
shanime: xD i found escalators to be pretty hard, bathrooms not so hard. lift and squish the hoop skirt and you can get through doors :3

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:07:41 pm »
@ shanime: Personally I found that not kicking your legs out too far did wonders, as did sitting on tables so that my skirt didn't get crunched up under me.

However, mine was also scaled for someone eight feet tall, so please ignore my ramblings that don't really pertain to the question at hand.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:44 pm »
My chi dress is pretty long and drags on the ground. :\  It's fine as long as I'm inside and there's no one around.  Otherwise I have to carry it so people don't step on it and it doesn't get dirty.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:11 pm »
yeah my wedding dress really needs to be dry cleaned, i was wondering the church parking lot after the wedding looking for the car and my new hubby, getting very dirty
and boy did he get it from me latter
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: Large dresses
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:03 am »
The biggest problem with large dresses is getting stepped on. These days so few people wear long dresses or dresses with trains that most people are totally oblivious to the fact that when going down stairs the hem of the dress will drag 3 to 5 steps behind you. I've found that the bigger the outfit, the more important it is that you have spotters accompanying you -- especially when attempting stairs. You can train your spotter to stay 6'-8' behind you so that when you go on stairs your dress has the room it needs.

If you are trying out a massive dress - especially if you're the kind of person who wears pants most of the time - do practice getting around wearing it so you can look more graceful. I saw several women in large, poufy dresses who clearly had never worn any style similar to that before and they were rather clumsy. It does take some getting used to, so practice! You will find that you can't walk using the same gait as you use when wearing pants & sneakers.

I've heard that it actually is possible to ascend and descend stairs in a hoop skirt without having to lift the skirt (assuming staircase is WIDE enough to fit the hoops).

Offline Kokotankuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 11:46:32 am »
Even my Witch Hunter Robin dress, that I tried to make so I wouldn't trip over it...I still did when going up or down stairs. >.> I'd love to knowwhere to get a long hoop skirt as well, since I am wanting to cosplay Ceil in his ball gown (sounds wrong don't it?) lol And my sister will need one eventually as well.

My biggest issue was the tiny escelators into the ballroom in which people behind me didn't give me enough room >.>
Cosplay '13

Princess Merida again?
Steam Punk-100%

~Mad World Creations

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:45 pm »
I'm about to feel the wrath of the large poofy dresses next year. x D

So Jill and few others, I'll feel most of your pain. While I'm in Shadow Queen Peach with Jill hopefully. >u>;

I rarely wear things like poofy dresses but I'm going to try my best to be graceful. And after reading all these tips there going to really help me this/next year at con. : D
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »
I remember finding a video on youtube that covers wearing a hoop skirt.  I'm not sure if a heavily layered petticoat should be treated the same though.

@Kokotankuu
both Chihiro and myself got this hoop skirt
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-HOOP-WEDDING-BRIDAL-GOWN-DRESS-SKIRT-PETTICOAT-SLIP_W0QQitemZ390073235359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad22d379f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
since I wasn't able to finish my cosplay in time, you'll have to ask Chihiro for details on it.
However, note that its a perfect circle compare to what I remember seeing Ceil's disguise having a more oval shape(it doesn't stick out much in the front or back) as according to the time period I think.

"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 04:45:36 pm »
Incorrect on both fronts. Ciel's ball gown has a large hoop skirt as is befitting the age AND a bustle in the back. That is to say that the dress is supposed to have a hump in the back that most cosplayers have a tendency to miss.

I myself have a growing desire to dress my little sister up in pretty cosplay dresses, and she's more than willing to comply (especially since they're pretty) and so I figure after I make her Belle dress for Halloween I'll see about making her Ciel's dress. She won't care if she's wearing a hoop skirt or not, so it'll probably just be a cheap tulle petticoat, and I won't be telling my mother that she's technically dressed as a boy dressed as a girl.

So yes. Skirts. Evil since the dawn of time.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 04:56:41 pm »
@LtCommanderRichie
I only vaguely remember it not looking like a perfect circle.  That it is much wider on the sides compared to the front and back.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc