Author Topic: Makeup help thread!  (Read 4496 times)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
Makeup help thread!
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:52 am »
Uhhh, currently accepting suggestions for a better topic title. 

Um, yeah!  For those of us that need to wear make-up for one reason or another... If you're a guy, or someone like me who doesn't wear make-up on a day-to-day basis, it can be a little intimidating.  So for those of you who do know what you're doing, please help those of us who don't! 

My issue right now is this.  I'm Asian.  My eyebrows are black.  Now, maybe you haven't noticed, but there aren't really a lot of Asian characters (or black-haired characters) in anime/manga/video games.  So most of the characters I end up cosplaying aren't Asian... And I want to know.  When I'm wearing a wig that's significantly lighter than my natural hair (for example, this year I wore a blonde wig two of the days) what can I possibly do about my eyebrows?  It bothers me to no end when peoples' eyebrows don't match the rest of their hair, so agents, I NEED UR HALP.  Thanks! 

Anyone else who has a makeup related problem or any advice to offer to us noobs, please feel free to post here. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
Re: Makeup help thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:05:35 am »
Eyebrows don't have to match the rest of your hair, I'm a blonde with BLACK eyebrows and it looks fine on my face. Although it's a darker blonde, and when I wear my bright-blonde wig i do lighten my eyebrows.

But if it really bugs you there are several ways of dealing with this.
1. if you only need to go a few shades lighter, you can cover your eyebrows with your foundation, this should lighten them enough that the difference between your hair and eyebrows won't be too obvious.
2. If you're wearing a "Party" colored wig, there are mascaras out there to match, just apply to your eyebrows. This also works for regular colors, if you can find the shade (Mascaras don't come in Blonde).
3. if you're really serious about changing your eyebrow color, as in you dyed your hair and want them to match. In some places you can get your eyebrows dyed. This is NOT a do-it-yourself, as there is the possibility of blinding yourself. Also in some states it is illegal for stylists to do, I know Washington is one, I don't know about Oregon.

Hope this helps.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:24:44 am »
i think i made a thread on make up a while back ._.

and eye brows yeah they can look funky but theres  a way to fix that:

put some elmers glue over your eyebrows to smooth them down, then grab some paint and paint your brows! Its actually as easy as that.

Yes dont worry the glue AND the paint both wash off in the shower
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:55 pm »
I recommend the glue and paint technique. Before painting you might want to lighten the brows by putting powder over them or something.

Also don't try coloring your eyebrows with lipstick. The color stays when you try to take it off if you don't put glue underneath, and if you do, it will still probably smear and get on things. I can speak from personal experience with this. :'D
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »
Water based paint please, don't use oil based unless you know what you are doing..... even then don't.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 04:39:04 pm »
Acrylic works well.
I miss 2010.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »
Seconding the glue-and-paint thing, but personally, I just paint acrylics directly to my eyebrows. I think my brows are too thick to use glue xD;
Acrylics work great, but you might want to test out the paint you got (iunno, on the end of your hair or something) to make sure it COMES OUT. The acrylics I have are JoAnn's brand and can just rub out <3

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 08:53:13 pm »
if your trying to get a differnt face look theres a book called "how to cosplay vol 1" it gives you infomation on how to do cosplay makeup, what you need, and how to get a difernt look (also how to do some basic special effects). most of the modles are male and i mistook them for female x.x;;;

but other then that you need fondation, blush, and eyeliner (get a lighter blush and work your way up if needed
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:12:34 am »
Acrylic paint works. I use that for most of my Cosplays. Elmers glue is the kind of glue I use when I decide to put it on. But I've realized that I can go without glue, even when I'm Cosplaying Axel. Although if you want your eyebrows to arch, or go in a direction, I'd recommend the glue, because it helps your eyebrows stay in place.

As long as you use water when washing the paint and or glue off, you should be fine. If you try to pick it off (which you can do, too) be careful if you do. You could easily end up taking a chunk of eyebrow hair with the paint if you aren't cautious. x.x
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:03:29 pm »
I tried the glue and paint thing at home; it works reasonably well.  The only other affordable alternative is to pluck them all out and draw them in with pencil.  Something that takes some practice and I'm not serious enough about cosplay to actually do it.  Yet anyway. 

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:15:59 pm »
I wouldn't pluck them out, because then you have to wait for them to grow back after you're done cosplaying. Paint is a lot less permanent, because it just washes out if you do it right.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 08:27:38 pm »
I keep my eyebrows short for Axel. But he's also a constant Cosplay of mine. When I need full eyebrows, I just draw the rest of them out. People don't even notice that I'm missing half of them when I have them drawn. XD
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:29:10 pm »
one thing to know is that a little goes a long way, so just lightening your eyebrows with foundation (if you want to be blond or something) Is enough so that usually people think it looks fine!
Most people think I'm actually blond when I'm wearing my wig, and sometimes i Don't do anything with my dark brown eyebrows!

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 01:38:24 pm »
I have my own question about cosplay makeup~!
Okay, so, I usually wear just a bit of Mascara, and it looks fine, but when I wear mascara with my Len cosplay, it looks really wierd. x33
Is there any way I can wear make-up with mah boy cosplay so that it looks fineee~?
I mean, even though I'm supposed to be a boy, I'd like my eyes to stand out a bit. :B
Halp?

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:19:54 pm »
I have my own question about cosplay makeup~!
Okay, so, I usually wear just a bit of Mascara, and it looks fine, but when I wear mascara with my Len cosplay, it looks really wierd. x33
Is there any way I can wear make-up with mah boy cosplay so that it looks fineee~?
I mean, even though I'm supposed to be a boy, I'd like my eyes to stand out a bit. :B
Halp?
Use eye liner and a not to noticeable eye shadow! (something that is very close to your skin tone)
also you can look and see if there is a mascara that isn't REALLY BLACK, i have a brown one that bushes my eyelashes without being too noticeable ^^

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »
I ginerally skip the mascara when crossplaying and just use brown eyeliner. I think it works well.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:58 pm »
I ginerally skip the mascara when crossplaying and just use brown eyeliner. I think it works well.
this is a good idea too, but some (like me! :D) people don't have natural anime sized eyelashes! (lol)

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:29 pm »
Males generally have less-noticeable eyelashes, especially in anime/manga.
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 05:56:29 pm »
Cassi/Lotus - I can't really wear eye-liner. :'O
Whenever I try to wear it, especially if I just put on a little, I end up looking emo/goth. xDDD

Felix - Yeah, but the guy i crossplay is a bit girly. :B

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 11:36:55 pm »
I sometimes have the same problem with eyeliner! I usually just make sure to use a firm rather than goopy pencil and keep it all above the bottom lashes and don't really put it on top! ^^
also light colors lessen the extreme emo :D

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:11 am »
If you line your waterlines then it should be suffecient. I personally don't use any makeup when Cosplaying a male, because, well, they don't wear makeup. But my skin tone and complexion allows me to get away with it.

If you're someone who has nasty break-outs or an uneven skin tone, then using foundation would work. As for the eyes well.. usually if you're a girl Cosplaying a boy, you're already pretty feminine, so it shouldn't look too different, especially if you're Cosplaying someone feminine.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 03:25:02 pm »
But some males (like Axel) do look like they're wearing eyeliner. Really.
I think it really depends on the male in question, and the person cosplaying him.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:26:01 pm by Felix »

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:05 pm »
ANDRE GRANDIER BEGS TO DIFFER.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Oscar_andre.jpg He's the one with the black hair. xD
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »
But some males (like Axel) do look like they're wearing eyeliner. Really.
I think it really depends on the male in question, and the person cosplaying him.

Axel's the only male character I wear eyeliner for. But I do it very specificly and minimally to give my eyes a cat-like look to them, like Axels'. I know a lot of people gob on the eyeliner for him, which is one of my pet peeves of Axel Cosplayers. =/ That and, the eyebrows.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 07:37:35 pm »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Oscar_andre.jpg He's the one with the black hair. xD
...what.

Sayda: What do they do to his eyebrows? D8

The one cosplay I've done, I didn't wear any makeup. I don't wear makeup in real life, and I just never got around to doing it. I probably should have done something with my eyebrows, but... They weren't that bad, since mine are already fairly thick and dark. I saw one person who looked like they glued fur onto their eyebrows. It was weird, and way over-the-top. (He has thick eyebrows, but the fur is too much.)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 08:51:36 pm »
They don't pluck their eyebrows for him, or color them most of the time. DX
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:31 pm »
Awww.

Well, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to pluck them, especially if it's not a regular cosplay. But they should definitely do something to them.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 09:13:08 pm »
Eyebrows do grow back, though. And really quickly, too. x.x;
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:08 pm »

...what.

Sayda: What do they do to his eyebrows? D8

The one cosplay I've done, I didn't wear any makeup. I don't wear makeup in real life, and I just never got around to doing it. I probably should have done something with my eyebrows, but... They weren't that bad, since mine are already fairly thick and dark. I saw one person who looked like they glued fur onto their eyebrows. It was weird, and way over-the-top. (He has thick eyebrows, but the fur is too much.)
I tend to forget to do Makeup too. I hardly wear it normally, but Expecially at con when i have a skit or something, or if i'm getting a lot of pictures taken its good to at least put a little foundation and something to make your eyes pop so you don't looked washed out ^^

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »
Yeah... I'm gonna have to do it next year, though. Two of them have silver hair, so I'll need to do something to my eyebrows for that, and the other I have this crazy tribal facepaint... That'll be fun. I need to get some... I've never bought makeup before.

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 04:52:17 pm »
Make-up can really add up...
I got some face powder and lipstick before K-con 09 and it cost almost $20. Luckily I already had eyeliner and lip-gloss, but woo....
It was the first convention I wore make-up to; I don't wear it regularly, so I hope it turned out okay >.<
Have fun buying make-up, Felix. Careful in case you have an allergic reaction.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 04:54:31 pm »
I can't, my eyelashes are blond so if I just leave eyeliner on it looks funky XD

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 05:11:27 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy it? I'd prefer makeup without a ton of weird chemicals in it.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 05:24:25 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy it? I'd prefer makeup without a ton of weird chemicals in it.
most stores carry at least a few 'natural' makeups. You can check on the packaging to see if its hypo-allergenic and if its listed as "natural" ^^

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 05:46:42 pm »
I'd be a bit intimidated, though. I've worn it before, for performances and such, but I'd feel strange buying it. Can you think of any place that would be friendly to first-time buyers?

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:18 pm »
Walgreens left me alone. There are skin tones charts (depends on the brand) and there is no shortage of labels. But if you're worried about chemicals, natural food stores sometimes have make-up sections that are good even for allergic people.
I had someone with me as backup though.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »
Sorry for the painfully late reply...

Thanks so much for suggestions on eyebrows!  I'll have to try them next time I'm (inevitably) cosplaying someone with lighter hair than jet black.  And I was considering dyeing my eyebrows, so thanks for the heads-up that I might blind myself.  8D;;; Don't think I'll do that. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 07:52:16 pm »
so as not to start a new thread

drastic make up help?

Im dong Sally for halloween this year (plans changed) and im going shopping tomorrow for fabric and stuff but i was wondering, should i just get  buckets of white/greyish body and face paint? ive been wondering if im going to go full out on her and paint my whole body or just perhaps my face. I dont like the fabric legs and arms look people give her, it looks so off to me. so i was thinking either i wont do any grey or go all out.

suggestions?

and if all out you guys got some ideas of brands to go for?

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 09:18:53 pm »
Jill we bought some stuff at Party City for really cheap. Like 99 cense. XD It worked really good surprisingly. On Anna's DA she has a picture of her as Roxas in it. So long as you use a powder base concealer it should stay on okay.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 10:24:23 pm »
: o i'll have to look for it then, and powder base foundation you mean?

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 11:32:33 am »
I'd be a bit intimidated, though. I've worn it before, for performances and such, but I'd feel strange buying it. Can you think of any place that would be friendly to first-time buyers?
fred meyers or wallgreens are great! i always get mine at FM's because they have a lot of stuff, but also like tone charts and samplers ^^
I would advise bringing a friend or someone along to help you choose! ^^