Author Topic: So, who is watching "V" ?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
So, who is watching "V" ?
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »
The new series "V" starts tonight on ABC at 8:00pm.  I am going to take a look, was just wondering who else is interested.  If the hype can be believed, it should be a good watch.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: So, who is watching "V" ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:42:13 pm »
I saw some of this back in the early mid 80s. Do I really need to watch it again? And is Robert Englund aka Freddie Kreuger having a role in this one too? lol

Darn and I have a DVR now to have taped the show.

They come to meet and eat
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:50 pm »
Probably me. Had not seen the original but big fan of Morena Baccarin & Elizabeth Mitchell.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:01 pm »
I saw some of this back in the early mid 80s. Do I really need to watch it again? And is Robert Englund aka Freddie Kreuger having a role in this one too? lol

Darn and I have a DVR now to have taped the show.

They come to meet and eat

The new version is worth watching. They are very quick to show you the differences and establish how this is a different story.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »
You mena like they said about Battlestar Galctica? phbbbbt. Being a former navy man myself, I would have absolutely hated to have been stationed aboard such a ship. They are complete idiots! They lack professionalism that you need in a military unit.

So just because it's new, does not mean I trust Hollywood to make it worth my while.

WHich is why I watch so much anime in the first place, nuh?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
Well I watched it.  I think it will be worth following.  The effects are nice, and I think the casting was good.  So far, the acting is OK.  I will have to see how the plot goes to see how beyond belief the story gets.  They definitely have me hooked.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:50 pm »
I like (concur with) the underlying political messages, as I perceive them:
(a) media suck-ups are not only individually selling their own souls for personal adulation, fame, & fortune, but also thereby willfully condemning the populace to ignorance that could cost us our lives;
(b) appearances can be dangerously deceiving;
(c) visual allure blinds us to risk;
(d) insiders/ whistleblowers are the most important contributors to most major covert operations;
(e) devotion, & its invocation, when misdirected, when willfully led in the wrong direction by lies, coverups, media manipulation, false advertising, jingoism, claims of providing salvation, etc., is the most dangerous tool/weapon.

2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:57 am »
So just because it's new, does not mean I trust Hollywood to make it worth my while.

I was speaking from personal experience as a person that was watching the show that very second and had watched the original V THE DAY BEFORE.
I think I can judge the differences pretty well.

The main thing I have seen is that they don't seem to be going for the nazi analog this time. It's much more of a classic invasion scam.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:38 am »
I was speaking from personal experience as a person that was watching the show that very second and had watched the original V THE DAY BEFORE.
I think I can judge the differences pretty well.The main thing I have seen is that they don't seem to be going for the nazi analog this time. It's much more of a classic invasion scam.
Yeah I actually was holding my breath in the scene with Ty accepting the jacket, waiting to see if it would look something like Hitler Youth or there'd be a salute or something. I never watched the original *hides head in shame* but I had read online somewhere about the analogy....

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:55:06 pm »
Watching it right now.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »
I liked the John Carpenter film, "They Live" Best movie Roddy Piper made. Similar vein, aliens taking over.
Have Fun

Jay