Author Topic: weapons at cosplay....?  (Read 8470 times)

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
weapons at cosplay....?
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »
So if you buy a replica sword or something online, can you bring that, or does it have to be made of foam or whatnot?

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: weapons at cosplay....?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:31:10 pm »
Yeah!

What if it's wooden also. What about like airsoft guns with NO AMMO.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:24:21 am »
no real blades, no air soft guns allowed...see the following

Reference: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=44

Props and Weapons

A prop is any item that is for display or part of a costume, or a potentially dangerous item, carried or worn by an individual.

No members will be permitted to carry any kind of functional projectile weapon. This includes individuals who possess a weapons permit or concealed weapons permit. Keep them at home. Anyone found in possession of such a weapon will immediately be removed from the convention. Individuals caught in the illegal possession of a functioning projectile weapon will be reported and turned over to the proper authorities. All other items that could be used as a weapon must be peace-tied or peace-bonded.

Obviously harmless props, such as teddy bears, will be waved through. Any other prop deemed safe by the staff may be peace-tied upon review by the staff member. A peace-tie is an indicator attached to your prop which signals to all staff that your item is part of your costume and not unsafe to carry. It also signals that you have agreed to carry your prop safely. This means you will not brandish any prop weapon, engage in any mock fighting, or use your prop in any way which could be seen as unsafe. You will be required to sign an acknowledgement of the requirements of safe-carry.

Peace-bonding will be conducted at the Peace-bonding table next to the Registration area. After hours, please see the Kumoricon Yojimbo Office to obtain a convention-recognized peace-bond. Complete this action before wandering through or around the Convention Space, or you may be required to leave. If you purchased your item at the convention, peace-bonding is required as soon as possible.

All bladed items must be kept in their sheaths at all times in the Convention Space. Weapons should never be waved around in a manner that may be construed as use of the weapon (this is considered brandishing).
Gun replica or other replica projectile weapons should not be pointed at anyone at any time. Replica pistols need to remain in a holster; replica rifles need to be slung.

Brandishing a weapon in the Convention Space, or in nearby spaces such as other public hotel areas or parking lots, may result in immediate removal from the convention. Keep in mind, police will assume all drawn weapons are functional, and will act accordingly. If you are unsure whether your weapon is acceptable in the Convention Space, please ask in the Kumoricon Yojimbo Office or ask at the Info Booth.

Exotic weapons will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Do not bring weapons that Kumoricon staff cannot tell are fake from ten feet away.

Certain props are not allowed within the Convention Space. These include, but are not limited to:

Airsoft or projectile weapons
Live (sharp enough to cut) steel
Props wide enough or long enough to inhibit flow of traffic
Replica weapons that do not comply with state or federal law
Paddles (all varieties—including “yaoi” or “yuri” paddles)
Props which impede personal or public safety
Harassment, Solicitation, and Offensive B
And so it begins...

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:30:32 am »
ok wait, first you said no blades, then it just says they need to be sheathed.... I'm confused.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:59:46 am »
Yes real blades and yes they have to be sheathed.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:10:19 am »
cool tacos!

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:53:26 pm »
Doesn't it also need to be peacebonded/glued into its sheath if it's real? Or did they change that rule?

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »
Doesn't it also need to be peacebonded/glued into its sheath if it's real? Or did they change that rule?
Yes, but that is something we do at con.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
Yes real blades and yes they have to be sheathed.

We CAN?!?!?! oi, I missed "sheathed" part. :P All this time, it had been ingrained in my head the policy of no REAL weapons... good 2 b clear now.

Yes, but that is something we do at con.

I know about the peacebonding @ check-in, but gluing weapon with blade into sheath? Really?
And so it begins...

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:31 pm »

I know about the peacebonding @ check-in, but gluing weapon with blade into sheath? Really?

I forget if it was this con or not, but I remember seeing people talking about how you couldn't bring it if it had a blade, but if you wanted your 'authentic' weapon, you had to make it so it was impossible to remove from the sheath, and the staff would test it too at check-in. :I It makes sense, I mean if it's peacebonded in you can always cut that off.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:10:27 pm »
Question: Would a steel razor (Sweeney Todd style) be allowed in if the blade itself is blunt, and incapable of cutting anything?

(Would it be allowed at Sakuracon..?)

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:53 am »
We don't do anything that will damage anything. Not sure where you heard the glue thing, but we don't do that. We just do the peace bonding.

Shadow: I'll let someone higher up answer that one.

Hazuza: Yeah they can break the peace bond, but if they do that then they're breaking the con rules and better hope they don't get caught.

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:50 pm »
Airsoft guns last year were required to be gutted and glued, with no functional parts. (No moving parts, and no noises when trigger was pulled)
So, that would constitute a 'non-functional projectile weapon', but it's once of those things that fluctuates weither its allowed or not. Keep an eye on announcements till con time.

Shadow: that would be a stage blade, and in it's collapsed position be considered sheathed. So hit peace bonding and have it locked down (tied in such a way that it could not be opened), *should* be no problem. There were a few todds running around last year with them no problem.

Note, thats subject to change at anytime, I don't make the rules, just enforce :P

Offline FynХоук

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:13:23 pm »
Also remember it is a good idea to dull the edges of stage steel with some sand paper, they like to see that you are doing something about safety.

I am Dark Link from 'The Twin Links'
I am the writer and mind behind all skits and videos.
I am awesome!

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »
So, if my steampunk cosplay has a ray-gun (obviously not a real gun), will I have to keep it peace-tied in the holster? or will I be able to take it out for pictures and things?
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline squall leonheart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »
It's really unfortunate...I'd love to bring out my gunblade for pictures sometime but it's just not allowed even for small moments.  This is partially why I'm cosplaying something without a weapon for once, so I don't have to have it sheathed at all times.  It still looks cool in it's sheath but when do you see squall with a sheathed sword?  *sigh*

Always Bored, contact my msn if you want to chat.

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:50 pm »
lol... we should all use Nerf swords and have a big war...
oy... just read the article about props. Could have a nerf fight for giggles? or would that be bad?
Nerf sword fights usually result in some bruises... but never serious injury. i'm curious now...
wow. turns out that I couldn't borrow a buddy'o mine's gunblade... it's a flawless replica. save for the fact that it does not explode (it DOES have a working hammer though...)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:06:27 pm by TideWalker »

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:16 pm »
haha. true. I haven't seen him with a sheath.
YOu could try the keyblade he has in Kh.

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline squall leonheart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »
I'll never demoralize squall to kingdom hearts, anywho squall was retired at sakuracon this year.  The costume officially just got to small on me, so I have the option of remaking the costume or leaving it retired.  With all the cosplays I want to do, and since I still have the SeeD costume, I may just leave it be.

Offline LockTheSlayer

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »
So, this is gonna be my first anime convention, and I've got a question. I'm going as Altair, Assassin's Creed, and of course I'm gonna hidden blade, which I'm making out of a collapsable Tai Chi sword that I got off the internet. The sword is made of steel, however, it isn't meant to be a weapon, it's originally meant for ceremonies, so the tip and edges arn't sharp in the slightest, just smooth, rounded metal. Also, the tip is flat, but I plan on cutting the steel to give it a point, then hammering the tip to so it's flat, then sanding the edges of the tip so they arn't sharp.

Would this be an acceptable prop/weapon to bring to the convention?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
This will depend on a couple of things.

The blade itself must be stage steel and cannot be connected to a spring or trigger assembly of any kind.

Additionally It will need to be peace bonded
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline squall leonheart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
my gunblade is a solid metal too and all 5 years I brought it to Kcon it was never turned away.  You can't take metal weapons out of sheaths though as was my experience which dulls the point of bringing it since pictures are better when you have the actual weapon instead of a sheath...Even still if they're dull and don't cut they usually just need peacebonding

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 07:47:09 pm »
which is why outdoor photo ops are so cool :)

Offline LockTheSlayer

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 10:51:50 pm »
The hidden blade I'm making uses friction as a locking mechanism and gravity to be released from the chamber, other than that, it's not lethal in the slightest with no triggers or springs.

So, I take it this would be allowed? Oh, and a question regarding the peace bounding: is it an obnoxious yellow ziptie, or is it a transparent tie so it doesn't ruin the look of the costume?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 11:26:21 pm »
we usually have different colors to choose from although the transparent ones will get u stopped to see more often

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
What is considered to long/large 0-0
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 06:27:47 am »
What is considered to long/large 0-0

please goto www.kumoricon.org/policies

it states any prop wide enough, or long enough to inhibit the flow of traffic are not allowed in the convention space. basically if its going to block a hallway, or stairs as you walk thorough it, then its too big.

Thx kylite for monitoring this thread, i will help keep an eye on it too.
=^_^=

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:20 am »
The hidden blade I'm making uses friction as a locking mechanism and gravity to be released from the chamber, other than that, it's not lethal in the slightest with no triggers or springs.

Hidden blade?  under oregon law that is considered a hidden weapon and is illegal without a permit. click the link i just posted.

pyro
=^_^=

Offline LittleWizard

• Oni
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 11:12:31 am »
I am aware of your policies on air soft weapons as props, I was curious if they would still be banned if the weapons were previously taken apart, and completely hollowed leaving only the weapon shell? if then I could have them peice bonded and use them from my costume?

Ive heard that in the past this has been ok, how do I find out if its ok now?

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »
I am aware of your policies on air soft weapons as props, I was curious if they would still be banned if the weapons were previously taken apart, and completely hollowed leaving only the weapon shell? if then I could have them peice bonded and use them from my costume?

Ive heard that in the past this has been ok, how do I find out if its ok now?

yes it is ok, as long as it is still peace bonded. Air soft are allowed only with a few certain parts removed, they must have an orange / yellow tip on it. If not we must be able to put a ziptie down the barrel and out the chamber. Or you may purchase from a store a "trigger lock". 

If any Airsoft is seen without the orange / yellow tip or the peace bonding by K-con staff we will ask you to either have it peace bonded or taken to your room. However Hotel staff and security may ask you to leave the premises if they see you pointing it at people or abusing the rules (peace bonding, weapons policy). More than likely they will just notify us.

We are visitors in this hotel, the hotel will enforce our policies and theirs, ultimately they have they final say in all matters regarding safety and security.

=^_^=

Offline LittleWizard

• Oni
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 02:02:08 pm »
Thanks for the info!!  ^____^

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:31 am »
How does peace bonding work? What if we have a Katana that has no blade guard? Would it still be able to be peace bonded?
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:47 am »
How does peace bonding work? What if we have a Katana that has no blade guard? Would it still be able to be peace bonded?
That will be up to the discretion of the peace bonders, but i can tell you, if it has no hilt/guard it can be peace bonded however it can not have any "live" steel (steel with any edge on it other than a smooth or rounded surface). Basically if it can cut you, it is not permitted. I took my katana to the 2008 con, had it peace bonded, and then was hunted down a day later because somebody saw me showing the steel in the park "outside of con space". My suggestion to you, is DON'T BRING IT, or get a mock / cardboard one.
=^_^=

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »
Does one have to worry about duct tape daggars? Also, a (non-alcoholic) drink as a prop -  allowed in convention space?
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »
^ You may get them stolen by me just cause they sound awesome.

Props that are not weapons related do not need to be peacebound. Weapons, even duct tape ones, should be brought to the peacebonding desk to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »
That will be up to the discretion of the peace bonders, but i can tell you, if it has no hilt/guard it can be peace bonded however it can not have any "live" steel (steel with any edge on it other than a smooth or rounded surface). Basically if it can cut you, it is not permitted. I took my katana to the 2008 con, had it peace bonded, and then was hunted down a day later because somebody saw me showing the steel in the park "outside of con space". My suggestion to you, is DON'T BRING IT, or get a mock / cardboard one.

I have to agree on this one.

Last year, I cosplayed Vergil from DMC3. Anybody that knows the game, knows Vergil's primary weapon is a katana. I had a really nice one for the costume, but it has a live-steel blade. I took it to the peacebinding booth and they said no live-steel weapons allowed. Period.

So.. unless somebody working the peacebinding table/booth tells me that live-steel is allowed if it's peacebound, I still go with the no live-steel weapons, period.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:22:30 pm by Agent47 »
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 05:21:07 pm »
Sorry, double post.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:21:31 pm by Agent47 »
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline Sintrith

• Oni
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »
Okay one more!

A friend needs a handgun as a part of her costume, so she got a fake plastic gun that shoots little foam suction cup things. Like a 3 year olds toy gun.

She painted it black except the tip which she kept orange.

You can still pull the top back and pull the trigger to make a little popping noise.

I know she is going to need to take it to the desk to be looked at, but will they allow it? Or should I take it apart and hollow it out?