Author Topic: cosplay critique (image heavy)  (Read 3790 times)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
cosplay critique (image heavy)
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:19:06 pm »
I know we had one before but it has been locked so I decided to make a new one. I figured it was good to do it now because there is a little less than three months till Sakuracon so it would give lots of time to make improvements.

Ok, firsts things first.
You can post progress pictures or pictures of wigs you want to get and ask which one is better.
Please please please don't post another critique till the one above has at least one answer.If people flood this with critiques then some people might get skipped over. With that being said, also take into consideration the give a little take a little motto. If you want feedback on your costume please post some on other peoples costume.

Critiquing
People are looking at ways to make their costume better so please give some useful feed back. If you think their costume looks great tell them what you liked about it rather than saying it is perfect. Nothing is ever perfect and there is something that can always be improved. For those looking for feedback please give a reference shot, multiple if possible. It is always a good idea to have a picture of the front and back of a costume (for both yours and the reference). Last but not least, for those looking for feedback people will point out some flaws they see, do not get upset by this. They are doing what you asked. Also any negative responses will be deleted (or at least I will request that they do).

Kuja
So I want to get this done by Sakuracon. I would like for it to be as accurate as possible. With that being said I know the gold trimming should not be in the front but I plan on keeping it since I use it to help hide the binding. I also have a few other things in mind of what I can do but I want to know if that is me nitpicking or if others are noticing it as well. I am open for anything so please be through.

Reference:

Thank you for your help.

Forgot the wig.

This is the new one I was planing on getting. I think it will work just fine (length and style) I am just wondering if I should leave it the way it is or add a slight purple tint to it.

Then i also found this one
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:28:53 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
Re: cosplay critique (image heavy)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:03:29 pm »
the only things i can notice that are different are, the purple tint to the wig which you already mentioned, and the sleeves on the picture of the character seem more... stiff and immovable, it doesn't droop like the sleeves in your picture. However it's far more accurate than I would have guessed anyone would make. I like how you got all the small details like the feather and the strap that goes accross the chest, which I didn't happen to notice until after I saw it in the picture of you.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:31:49 pm »
I think that is just the quality of the game and I believe they are supposed to be lose
http://bishounen.info/kuja/kuja03.jpg
http://www.ffcompendium.com/art/9-kuja-a.jpg
http://finalfantasy.cc/ffmembers/dissidia/image/artwork/Dissidia_Kuja.JPG

At least all the cosplays I have seen it has always been like a silk type fabric that is lose and flowy. Thank you very much though. I plan on making the chest of the jacket more stiff like armor. That was one suggestion I got before.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:32:30 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »
yeah, i get that, I was just trying to see any differences in the 2 pictures that I could. I know it's really not helpful but you do look amazing in the pictures! Good job.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »
The main thing I notices was the back of the third picture is different than the back of my costume. It is an easy fix though.

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:32:17 pm »
I would tint the wig purple.
The one thing I noticed is the back of the white part where it connects to the belt. The reference looks smooth at the top rather than ruffled, and there is a piece at the centre that I can't see on yours (but it looks like you already noticed that). I doubt anyone would notice the difference unless they actually had a reference to compare it to.

This really is an excellent costume, though. I can tell you spent a lot of time on it and really pid attention to detail.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »
After a little bit of messing around in order for me to get the back accurate I would have to remake it. And since I didn't make it to begin with it is going to stay the same for now :P I could do it if I got some fabric that was the same. So I will keep an eye out for now. Anyone else have costumes they want critiqued?

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »
The one thing I noticed is the back of the white part where it connects to the belt. The reference looks smooth at the top rather than ruffled...

I noticed that too. I'd hate to say it cuz it could be more trubble than what it's worth but if you could remake the fabric train/skirt part so that the edges don't look ruffled it'd help the look a lot. And not just at the top but the whole way around. It'll make it look cleaner and even more professional. It looks pretty damn good though. There is a lot of detail work in this.

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »
I have to say the kuja is spot on, the main problem being 2 things
1 ff9 seems to be over looked alot, dont ask me why just seems when I am talking to people and I meantion it I always hear "oh 9 I never played that one"
tho while typing this my husband and little bro both yelled "dissidia" at me...

2 no one in the world is pretty enough to be kuja
I can't see in the pic but when you do kuja do you wear makeup? A lighter base cover all and some eye shadow can give that pretty boy look
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »
Yes I do wear makeup. It is a little easier to see in this image http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/339/8/a/Kuja___Take_what__s_yours_by_nikkiolie.jpg

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »
tell me what you think of my cosplay it is getting better as we speak

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08:25 pm »
Are both of those pictures you? If they are both you they are PERFECT. If the 1st one is you then it's pretty awesome! Jack Sparrow has lots of stuff on him so it's pretty amazing.

oslapedo

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:15:43 pm »
I love your Jack Sparrow cosplay, it's so perfect. The only thing I can think of is maybe act more pirate-y in person? But that's not really a huge deal~

What can I improve on Ryoko? The uniform itself is generally as good as it's going to get but how about poses, makeup, etc? In this picture I painted my eyebrows blue, should I keep doing it or is it pointless? And I know the bangs in the wig don't look quite right but I've fixed that since we've last taken pictures~

Ryoko
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/250/0/a/Ryoko_Asakura_Pactio_Card_by_phGoff.jpg

Me
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2362238/

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
Are both of those pictures you? If they are both you they are PERFECT. If the 1st one is you then it's pretty awesome! Jack Sparrow has lots of stuff on him so it's pretty amazing.

the first one is and my profile picture is too but the other one is not me its johnny

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »
Oh wow. Very awesome. How long did it take you to get this far? It's pretty amazing.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »
The main thing for you Dana is that the skirt and the sleeves in the reference picture look shinny where the cloth you used is mate. Nothing huge just nitpicking. I don't know much about the character though ^_^

After looking at other reference pictures I think it does look more mate and it is just that one that comes off as shinny. :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:58:34 pm by nikkiolie »

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:02:17 pm »
I agree with the gray tint thing on my wig but it's unfixable, I think :D

Your wig photographs so well, it looks lovely. Anything that can be improved on your cosplay would be really nitpicky, but let's see~

It'd be cool if you could get the glowy panel things on your armwarmers.

Do your shoes have the blue on the bottom? I can't see~

And your shirt's not shiny but I actually think I like it better that way. Your cosplay's so good though! Your nails are painted the right color and you've even got the number on your arm.

For Magnet maybe take off the jacket and replace the glowsticks for pictures once they stop glowing.

~

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:47 pm »
randomly popping in here, hope ya don't mind!

@dana
the only thing that really bothers me about your Miku is the Headphones, particularly the band connecting them. It seems to be way too close to your bangs, however I'm assuming it's mostly due to the positioning of the pigtails?
Other than that it's lovely, the skirt could be a tad shorter for accuracy, but if you're not comfortable with that it's fine =]

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
Dana - Did you make new arm thingy's Dana? oxo
I could have sworn that they used to look shiny and have the green part.
I really love your Miku, and theres nothing to say that hasn't already been said by someone, so yeah. x3
One thng is, the headphones seem a bit non-acurate for some reason. o3o

Now let's stay on the Vocaloid track:
My Len Kagamine cosplay! :'O

Reference: http://media.photobucket.com/image/len%20kagamine/zenney100/Len.png?o=76
Reference 2: http://media.photobucket.com/image/len%20kagamine%20official/Icchan_Merveilleux/Vocaloid/KagamineRinLenofficialart.jpg?o=1

And I'm getting a new wig soon. :3

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:21 pm »
It looks like the leg warmer things are baggier in the reference, but it's hard to tell since I can't see your feet in any of the pictures. Otherwise it looks good to me... I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the character.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:53 pm »
the only thing i can think of for the len cosplay is to fix/make a new tie the one you have doesnt seem right to me, xD and i was about to say somethign about the wig but then again you said your getting a new one.

i also think the "arm and leg warmers" should be a tiny bit larger near the bottom. other then that looks great
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 08:21:17 pm »
Thank you all. : D
I'm getting new arm and leg warmers commissioned from the amazing Dana, so I can fix that I beleive. x33

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 05:58:42 pm »
*Critiques *
\
I would just make the sides a little spiked like the character. and the top part a bit thicker. Over all it looks good.

oslapedo

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
Yeah, the top part could maybe be thicker, if you can do that without the mesh showing. If not it looks lovely as is.~

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:58 am »
What can I improve on Ryoko? The uniform itself is generally as good as it's going to get but how about poses, makeup, etc? In this picture I painted my eyebrows blue, should I keep doing it or is it pointless? And I know the bangs in the wig don't look quite right but I've fixed that since we've last taken pictures~

Ryoko
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/250/0/a/Ryoko_Asakura_Pactio_Card_by_phGoff.jpg

Me
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2362238/

I'd either find a way to gray up the wig, or get a new wig~
But that's my wig that xD
THEY MUST BE PERFECT*eye twitch*
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...