Author Topic: Real hair vs Wig?  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Real hair vs Wig?
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:55 am »
What do you guys think?
Should someone use their real hair if they are able too, or would a wig be better no matter what?

I'm debating this issue right now, as I might be able to save $50 instead of spending it on wig.
Tell me what you think. I'm still working out a few kinks/different methods of styling. Especially for that stupid little piece of hair to stay up.... -__-

Pics here:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/Kimiski/Skuld/?start=0

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
Re: Real hair vs Wig?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:42 am »
I would buy a wig, mainly because of the length of the hair that the character has. You can also cut it to your needs without worrying about how your hair's going to look. Plus, styling it once means you won't have to style your hair everytime you wear the costume, and if you ever want to change your hair, you won't have to worry about not having a similar hairstyle to the character. But that's just my opinion. owo
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:07:33 am »
I never use wigs for my hair if my hair can by styled without looking like a hair spray mess :)
Though if your only issue is length and not enough time to grow it, a wig is a good idea or hair extensions that clip in

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:39:42 am »
In some cases I'd say a wig was necessary, because there are some colours you simply cannot make your hair be without utterly destroying it, and with certain characters who have very complicated styles it's better to have a wig that you can just put on without having to restyle your hair every time. If your own hair will work for the character (is the right colour, style and length) it would probably be better to go with your natural hair, especially if you're only cosplaying that character once.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:39 am »
The reason I mostly choose wigs is because next year I could pull out my Nick, because I have a wig for him, and wouldn't have to mess with my hair.
Then again, if your normal hair cut works for a character (for me, England) then I'd go ahead and use it.
Then again, as I'm a mobile poster, I have no idea what your hair looks like because I can't link :P
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:09:50 am »
I have used my hair for several characters. Based on the pictures I think it looks fine and you don't need a wig. A long wig like that might get tangled easily and not look as crisp. I would say stick with your real hair.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:36 am »
Honestly for crazy long hair like that its more practical wear-wise to wear it shorter. I think your hair looks great in the Skuld-style and the fact that its your real hair just makes it even cooler. Plus no heavy wig adding pounds of weight to your head and neck during the warm days of Con! ;)
Secrety secrets!

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:20 pm »
If your real hair works but your problem is the ahoge, you could make/commission one to clip into your hair. That way you don't have to worry about making sure you can get it upright every day.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:47 pm »
i'm using my real hair for all my cosplays and i only have to dye it once! woot for choosing red haired people! XD

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:44 am »
I almost never have to wear wigs, but if you think wearing a wig makes your cosplay more accurate, then go for it.  :)
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »
My general rule of thumb with hair is this: if it's a character from a manga, anime, or cartoon (in other words, an animated character) then I wear a wig. If I'm from a book or movie (with actual actors) then I'll use my real hair, assuming I'm being a ginger... I'll wear a wig regardless of who I'm being if the color or cut is too different from my own, though.

oslapedo

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
I always use wigs because I change my hairstyle so often, and I like only having to style a wig once. But if you've got it, flaunt it!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »
Wigs, unless it's a really simple hairstyle.
It's better to stick with a wig you can reuse rather than fry your hair to match every single character you want. Plus real hair tends to look... strange? Most pictures I've seen of people not using wigs, it looks like they didn't even bother to wash or style their hair, and it looks stringy.
But if you use a wig, it's always styled and good-looking.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »
Not necessarily. I've seen some pretty nasty-looking wigs, and some people are able to pull it off with their real hair. It depends on the character and your hair type, really. Jaqua has a good point - if you're cosplaying from a liveaction, wigs can look excessive, while characters from anime/manga and videogames tend to have crazy, gravity-defying hair anyway and it's harder to achieve that effect without a wig. Personally, I think you've got a pretty good representation of the character with your real hair, especially if you're still experimenting with the styling, and good wigs are so expensive that if you can use your real hair and have it still look nice I see no reason why you shouldn't.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:54 pm »
i used my own real hair in a cosplay. It came out just fine. i really like your hair. it should work fine with your cosplay.
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:09 am »
Thanks for the advice guys!

My hair would actually take longer to get ready for a wig then to style it like that. I timed myself and it took about five-seven minutes depending on hurrying. With a wig I usually braid my hair in five braids, pin them around my head, pin the wig cap on, then put the wig on and pin that to the wig cap. But yeah the biggest problem is that stupid little piece of hair that sticks up. Clipping some false hair wrapped around a wire sounds like a good idea, anyone know how to do that or can point me in the direction of a tutorial? I know I saw some for making them and clipping them into wigs, but not how to do that for real hair.

The length itself isn't a real problem to me. Like alot of anime character, her hair length varies from the manga and anime and even within the anime. I've had a real long wig once that was accurate to the character and I found it a nightmare. It would always get caught on something or I would always sit on it which pulled it backward reveling part of my wig cap. Ugh.

So, I'm still not to sure on what I want to do. xD
I know I can get away with it, but I kind of want to do a wig just because my hair isn't pure black, it gets red/brown tints in sunlight. I could just dye my hair black... but I really like natural my hair color.

I do have some money for a wig now though, around $40. If I can find a pre-made Skuld wig that looks good or a commissioner who would do it for that price I think I'll go ahead and do it. But most good wigs I see run $100+ and I'm not sure I just want to buy one and try styling it myself, I've never done that before. So I guess I'll shop around and if I can't find anything settle on my real hair.... but curse that stupid little piece of sticking up hair.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:18:44 am by kimiski »

Offline Katarini

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:25:37 am »
I like your natural hair, and you could always buy a semi-permanent or a demi-perm dye. So that it'll fade quicker and go back to your natural hair color after con. (Just don't wash it too much before con or during!)

i has no signature... D:

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »
Wigs are reusable... and can be applied again and again. I vote wig.
Plus you can use the for other stuff... unlike your real hair.

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 06:22:26 pm »
I like your natural hair, and you could always buy a semi-permanent or a demi-perm dye. So that it'll fade quicker and go back to your natural hair color after con. (Just don't wash it too much before con or during!)

Oow, that's a good idea.
I'd wash my hair once every morning of the con, do you think that would be too much for the dye?
I'd probably dye it right before leaving for day 0 to do check in and all that.

Offline ShOrTUrUhA

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:49 pm »
If lengthwise is the issue just get hair extensions of the same color, that should work. I personally try to avoid wigs if i can, because of the horrible experience I had my first year of kcon

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »
^ now your got me very curious

i personaly prefer to use wigs.... then i can do what ever i want with my hair and not have to worry... plus in my place of buisness i cant be dying my hair funky colors
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Katarini

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »

Oow, that's a good idea.
I'd wash my hair once every morning of the con, do you think that would be too much for the dye?
I'd probably dye it right before leaving for day 0 to do check in and all that.

It all depends on the dye. But I dyed my hair the day of con, like you plan on. Dying your hair the day before con on day 0 is a good idea.
:} Just make sure to rinse in cold or luke warm water those first couple of days before you debut the costume, otherwise your hair may fade too much at the crown? Although, I don't know with your particular hair.
So if you can, I suggest going to a stylist and asking about it. But the hair color shouldn't fade ridiculously to your natural in those first couple of washes. (Mine didn't) Oh! And use heat resistant, color saving products for those couple of days.
I like loreal everpure UV protect spray personally.
i has no signature... D:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »
Ok I think that's what I'm going to do

Dye my hair with semi-perm color and style it each morning.
I just need to figure out how to keep that strand up now
Been looking on google for tutorials but they are all for wigs, not real hair. xD

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 08:53:56 pm »
For your questions about hair pieces/sticky uppy things, I know someone that may be able to make one for you for a small fee (~$10). Lemme ask if she has time this summer and I'll let you know.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 09:05:25 pm »
For your questions about hair pieces/sticky uppy things, I know someone that may be able to make one for you for a small fee (~$10). Lemme ask if she has time this summer and I'll let you know.

Ah that would be so cool, let me know ^__-

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »
So does anyone have any recommendations for hair styling products that would be kind to my semi-perm dyed hair?

Something to put in my hair before taking the curling iron to it? Gel? A good spray?  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:27:03 pm by kimiski »

Offline Katarini

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 10:02:03 am »
Honestly, anything will work. Just depends on your own personal texture. :}
So if you like hair spray, use that. Just make sure it's heat resistant or something. (So the iron/blow dryer doesn't fry your hair.)
i has no signature... D:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 06:10:46 pm »
I ended up getting my hair cut so it's now unusable for Skuld~
So.... I caved in and bought this amazing wig I found.

Still need to add the ahoge and style it some but yup...

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
One advice for dyed hair is to choose a good shampoo+conditioner. Stay away from those that contain sulfate--this was recommended by a beauty shop owner to me. I have used normal shampoo after dying my hair permanently and it really did strip my hair color with daily shampooing.  I have been using Loreal sulfate free shampoo + conditioner and it really has been preserving my hair color while keeping it soft and less frizzy. :)

My hair is long enough this year for my cosplay, but I'm still going to purchase a wig. I find it easier to style and I like the sheen of wigs in photos compared to my now natural color + texture.

And so it begins...

Offline Aero

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »
I figured I would use my normal hair because I had a bad experience with a crappy wig once . Even though the characters hair was 'simple' I went through school with part of my hair being purple(after con ) and everyday of con , early morning , I'd be up doing my hair and had it hair cemented so it would stay ... that was a mess  to get out ... I advise if its a strange hair style , wig it . If its all one color and doesn't do a crazy spike or something your natural hair is fine ..

This has been solved , but I thought I would post my two cents . c:
CREATER OF T.P.C. COSPLAY GROUP - Based in Gresham , wanna join ? Pm me . 8D
Alois is set for Sakura-con !!! HUZZZAH !

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
One advice for dyed hair is to choose a good shampoo+conditioner. Stay away from those that contain sulfate--this was recommended by a beauty shop owner to me. I have used normal shampoo after dying my hair permanently and it really did strip my hair color with daily shampooing.  I have been using Loreal sulfate free shampoo + conditioner and it really has been preserving my hair color while keeping it soft and less frizzy. :)

My hair is long enough this year for my cosplay, but I'm still going to purchase a wig. I find it easier to style and I like the sheen of wigs in photos compared to my now natural color + texture.

My hair is black right now and pretty damaged from previous bleaching and dying, and I use Paul Mitchell's shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. It's amazing, especially the shampoo. It's a bit spendy, but totally worth the money.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
It depends on the cosplay for me. For most costumes (e.g. Serah, Rikku, Sailor Moon) I use wigs, but for two of my costumes- Misa and Rose Tyler- I use my natural hair because it looks better.

Offline Mizuki Hyuga

• Oni
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 12:47:36 pm »
I would try to use my real hair, and a wig as the last resort.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 01:48:16 pm »
^Agreed!
I think natraul hair is MUCH more comfy, and often looks more natural. Unless they have super spikey hair, then you should get a wig. For example, I am going as Keiichi, who has flat brown hair, like me. NO WIG NEEDED. But if I went as Tai of digimon, I would get a wig.

Save Caprica!!

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:44 am »
I myself have gone with a combination of the two. Though that leaves me with a question of my own: How soon before a con should one dye their hair? I don't want my hair to be too crispy, but I don't want my roots to grow out-of-sync either. xD