Author Topic: Friend Can't Go To Con  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
Friend Can't Go To Con
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:37 pm »
My friend can't go to con because of something her mom read on the internet.
Who trusts the internet nowadays?
Anyway, she told us this at school, and this is what the sides looked like.
    Roxas' Mom
    • We might ditch her
    • We might get stalked

Everyone else's side
      • We're going in a group of like, seven
      • We will have two adults present with us

Does anyone have any opinion on this? We're going to go and talk to Roxas' mom, but has anyone ever been ditched at con? Or been stalked, I mean, it's Kumoricon, but I have to ask.
Thank you a thousand fold!
Fem!Eleven, Vexen, Animal Crossing
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Friend Can't Go To Con
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:49:47 pm »
While there are some creepy dudes at con, there's too many people to get away with being creepy. the most harm of being stalked is of some rabid fangirl who wants your picture, and in acordance to the whole ditching thing, give a description of what she looks like to other con goers and give a room number/cell number to be contacted with incase you do get seperated.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »
i have been stalked before but the person gave up after a while. i have never attended with a parent and i have never been ditched. If i was ditched I wouldnt be able to move lol.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:04:40 pm »
Never had a problem

There's so many attendees, then between the hotel staff and convention staff, stuff like that isn't a problem. Heck, even if you walk a few blocks from the con there's still con attendees everywhere getting a bite to eat or else taking pictures.

Maybe you should try and strike a deal that says she could go as long as she doesn't leave the convention area/hotel where the convention is being held? Then if anything does happen like that you can just tell someone on convention staff or hotel staff, but again I've never had a problem and I've been going since 2004.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »
Thanks you guys, this helps a bunch!
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:12:59 pm »
Your welcome :3
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:23 pm »
all and all, the convention area and area are pretty safe. I walk alone around there all the time.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »
This is the Hilton hotel, not some flea bag along 82nd.

The best thing I think would be to act trust worthy until she thinks you won't go ditching her, and then don't!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline AllyKat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:18:34 pm »
Remind this parent that in any situation when going out and about a metropolis for
any event there is always danger, but you should always way the pros in balance
with the cons.

Come up with a game plan for seperation situations (what happens if you get lost?)
Come up with a safe word or code for telling your guardian about a stalker/bad person.

There is safety in preparation and fear of dangerous things should never be the soul
reason to not go on an adventure, after all, taking the bus to school is full of dangers!
Even schools themselves have risk! We live in a world that is "unsafe" but through knowledge
and preparation we beat the odds every day because we dont allow ourselves to be
victims.

Show this parent you are willing to take the time to be mindful and prepared and that
may sway her to side with you for this event. But under no circumstances should you ever
circumvent her authority. She is the mom and mom is law.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:53 pm »
I'm gonna be disagreeable.

Does her mom know your group well? If not, then try to get to know her better and try to get on her good side. Also, contrary to popular belief, con-land isn't the bright happy land everyone thinks it is- a lot of bad things could and do happen.

And to answer your question, yes, I have been ditched at a con before. It's really upsetting and I was seething about it for hours.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:34:38 pm »
all and all, the convention area and area are pretty safe. I walk alone around there all the time.

I personally like going off on my own alot during the convention cause then I can see and do things at my own pace. I just make sure to have a cell phone on me when I need to get back together with my group.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 09:37:38 pm »
if your friend has a cell have her call and check in to lut there mom know every thing is all right. and for the ditching if your good friends i dont see why you would ditch her.

as for the questions i have ditched my friends cuz all they did for the whole con was hang out in the game room so i left and hung out with other people.as for stalking no but my friend did act like a stalker so i guess that is a sorta yes.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:20 pm »
if she has a concern have her buy a prepaid cell or pager. then she can keep tabs on the friend in quesiton. and if she has issues past that have her talk to the convention security heads *grins*

Also I agree, have her get to know the gorup of friends.

as to being ditched at con...

People tend to get bored and wander, its gonna happen. just enjoy the mingle time.

And if your afraid or panic stricken come to the yoji office, we will see about finding your friends and reuniting youi with them. (trust me it happens alot)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:49:41 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
I haz a feeling a lot of us might actually stand up and report to a staff if we saw anything wrong.
And yes. people at kcon travel in groups.
Here. Take this, it's not safe to go alone.

You just had six members join your party!
1000 exp
258Gold
Fire materia found!
Phoenix down found!

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:53:03 am »
I agree fully with the cell phones...although I am of an age that I don't have to have permission to go to con, I still go with a group of friends. We do separate a lot especially since it's easy to wander off on a friend who stopped to look at something without saying anything. We just keep our phones on us & use them as our leash to find each other.

As for stalkers, you might find some wierd people in con space but all in all it is pretty safe. There are tons of people everywhere & plenty of staff & security to back it up. The only time you might have to worry is if you are wandering the streets away from con space. It's always wise in those situations to go in groups & stay together...also try not to go to far from the hotel.

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 03:05:42 pm »
… But under no circumstances should you ever circumvent her authority. She is the mom and mom is law.
Yes, I am aware of the power of the Mom Union.  ;D

Does her mom know your group well? If not, then try to get to know her better and try to get on her good side.
Her mom knows us pretty well, but we're still working on getting her mom to know us even more.

if she has a concern have her buy a prepaid cell or pager. then she can keep tabs on the friend in quesiton. and if she has issues past that have her talk to the convention security heads *grins*
Hope they can handle a very stubborn mom, and I sure will direct her that way if needed.

Here. Take this, it's not safe to go alone.

You just had six members join your party!
1000 exp
258Gold
Fire materia found!
Phoenix down found!
Thanks! WOOT! LVL UP!

#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 10:09:09 am »
Give Roxas mom this link to my blog. I think she'll find the information here quite informative.

http://scififantasyanimeman.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/how-to-stay-safe-at-a-convention/
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.