Author Topic: Mom thinks that my hair is too thick for a wig....help?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
Mom thinks that my hair is too thick for a wig....help?
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:11:59 pm »
So, I want to cosplay this year. Unfortunately, all of them include wearing some sort of wig. I'm a stickler for 'accuracy' when it comes to cosplay so of course, I want to wear the wig that goes with the charater I want to cosplay as.

However, my mom keeps shooting down the wig idea because she claims that my hair is too 'thick' and 'heavy' for any kind of wig (I only have short hair that reaches my shoulders...I don't see how it's a problem)...but the thought of going as Yuki Nagato without the purple hair or Azusa Nakano without her black pigtails gets on my nerves to no end.

How can I convince her to let me wear a wig this year?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:12:24 pm by Rai180990648 »

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
Re: Mom thinks that my hair is too thick for a wig....help?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »
Hi. My best friend, and fellow cosplayer literally has more hair than anyone I have ever met in my life. I mean that totally seriously, and I wish I could impress upon you the absolute monster hair that she has. When donating it to Locks of Love she was able to make five wigs out of her hair, by pure thickness alone, not because it was so long.
Although, recently, she has begun growing it out, and its about halfway down her back. Never-the-less, even she can get it all under a wig with a little work. Anyone can.
The trick is to lean how to pin it up, and utalize a wig cap. If I were you, I would get very good at this process. Go take a day and just practice this if you don't know how. buy a wig cap, they're like 59 cents.  There are HUNDREDS of tutorials, you-tube videos and whatnot about different ways of containing hair. Do it! When you've got it down, go talk to you're mom, show her that your hair can be contained and IS contained with absolutely no damage to your hair what-so-ever.
It's really quite a simple thing, containing hair. :D

Is she the one buying the wig? I'm curious as to why she's wig-blocking you, it seems odd :D
Good luck!
Cheers!
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »

Is she the one buying the wig? I'm curious as to why she's wig-blocking you, it seems odd :D
Good luck!
Cheers!

Technically, dad has the e-bay/paypal account, so it's him buying (However, if mom dosen't approve, the costume idea dosen't reach dad), but anyway, I think she's wig-blocking me is because she thinks that the wig might slide off/it might be hard to keep on. I'll run your (And anyone else's) advice/tips by her in a little bit and see how it goes.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:52:33 pm »
Trust me on this one, there is no such thing as having hair too thick to put under a wig. My hair doesn't go past my ears on a good day and it takes six to eight ounces of dye to completely retouch my hair. It's probably about as thick as hair can come and I used to be able to fit that much hair, except down to my lower back, under a rather short wig. So you ought to be fine on the subject of wigs.

If you have trouble keeping your hair under the wig cap, or it slides around, hair pins (not bobby pins!) can help hold it down. Then a few extra hair pins in the edges of the wig itself can help keep it from going anywhere over the course of a day.

Cosworx's wigs stretch up to about 23"-24", you should have no problem getting any amount of hair under them.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:59:17 pm »
My friend had to wear a black wig for a play back in high school, and we had to tuck her waist-length, super thick hair under it-- we could do it for her, I'm sure you'll have no worries xD Just either french braid, pincurl, or pin it up, then wear a wig cap, and you should be totally peachy.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 11:03:53 am »

^ I can fit this under a wig, I split into braids and then wrap around my head
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:42:49 am »
If your mom is absolutely convinced that there is now way to get your hair under a wig, look at me:

This is all my hair. It took them four bowls to dye my hair at the salon.

I managed to get it all under this wig.

If I can do it, anyone can.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:58:38 am »
^it took a heckalot of bobby pins, two french braids, and a wig net to get her hair in that wig. getting it off and all the bobby pins out took just as long as puting it in xD but as she said, if we can get fleur's hair in a wig, you can get yours. we are trying a new thing, putting her hair into one of those circle braid things in the back of her head. its working pretty good, but we still need to get it really tight.

just expiriment with different ways of putting your hair up, and show your mom that you can.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:05 pm »
One of my friends has hair that goes down to her waist and she still manages to stick all of it under a wig.

Amphigory has suggestions for people with long/thick hair.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline kingbrit7

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »
just for every ones info, i am the mom being discussed  , and i am not blocking her, i just remember other times when she has tried to wear a wig, like for a halloween costume,  the wigs just lift off, she does in fact have extremely thick hair, and after reading all the advice, i think it is a good idea to practice  pining the hair up, and if that works i have no problem buying her a awesome wig to go with her costume,

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »
yay! thanks for understanding. I'm glad you're one of the cool mom's :D
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »
If your mom is absolutely convinced that there is now way to get your hair under a wig, look at me:

This is all my hair. It took them four bowls to dye my hair at the salon.

I managed to get it all under this wig.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Post that one pic of you in where your hair is huhfdsmlkjheverywhurr pretty much dwarfing you :'D

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »
Wait which picture is that? You should post it.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
Hahaha that's my Athena costume. Thank you!

And yes Arda Wigs! I bought two wigs from them at Sakuracon and they fit my head pretty well. Plus they're amazing quality for the price.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »
King of Fighters, the XII version.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »
You should post a pic of yourself so we can get a basic idea on how thick your hair is

I have hair that goes pass my waist and I can get it under a wig
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 03:31:56 pm »
You should post a pic of yourself so we can get a basic idea on how thick your hair is

I have hair that goes pass my waist and I can get it under a wig

You asked for it. Excuse the ugliness/webcaminess....and the bad lighting.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 04:12:44 pm »
Eh, you should be able to fit that all under a wig easy-like.

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 09:16:58 pm »
just for every ones info, i am the mom being discussed  , and i am not blocking her, i just remember other times when she has tried to wear a wig, like for a halloween costume,  the wigs just lift off, she does in fact have extremely thick hair, and after reading all the advice, i think it is a good idea to practice  pining the hair up, and if that works i have no problem buying her a awesome wig to go with her costume,

Alright! Cool! Yeah, just have her practice, help her if you can. There's a TON of info on this and a myriad of different ways to do it, for everystyle of hair. Sometimes braiding works...I've also seen it were it's put up in a loose braid, then put under a wig cap, then massaged out of a braid to make it more even. It's just a matter of practice. I'm confident she'll have no issue.
Thanks for being a cool mom! Since you are paying, it totally makes sense that you wouldn't wanna waste money on a wig that wouldn't work out. But I think this will.
Good Luck!
Cheers!
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----