Author Topic: Kcon picnic?  (Read 13974 times)

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
Kcon picnic?
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:08:50 pm »
So anyways, I was thinking it might be fun to have a picnic during Kcon. ^^

WHERE?
Fountain Plaza

WHEN?
Friday. (Day 0) The picnic will take place after everyone is done with registration and badge pick-up and the like. It will be at about 5 PM.

Do I need to bring anything?
Food, preferably. ^^ I'm on a VERY tight budget and I can't afford to bring/buy lots of food. However, if everyone or most people bring something, there should be plenty of food for everyone!

I found out that I will be arriving on Friday at about 3. Thus, the picnic would be more a dinner than a lunch. I don't think anyone will have a particular problem with this, but still...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone up for this?

Attendees~
 ;D - confirmed guests  :-\ - guests that may be there

Note: Unconfirmed means that I haven't heard a "for sure" from them yet. Feel free to correct me if you want to change your satus! Also, If I assumed you were for sure and are really not, feel free to correct me there, too.

thesirensings(me!) - cookies and fried rice  ;D
Pots - tarts/cupcakes/some sort of pastry  :-\
reppy - who knows? he listed a bunch of stuff   ;D
Griffinclaw Princess - pastries  ;D
camname21 - ?  :-\
ouruknak - ?  :-\
RoscoeTEHclam - drinks  ;D
Washougal_Otaku - ?  :-\
Romo - ?   ;D
Kaspar - ?  :-\
JuneJoyHeart - ?  :-\
NeonFoxRocks - ?  :-\
Griff_the_dragoon - ?  :-\
Jessieku - ?  :-\
wolfy2491 - ?  :-\
flyinvee11 - ?  ;D
FateChooseMe - ?  ;D
Kagome219 - ?  ;D

And if you love us enough, join us at the Spin the Botlle event!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:27:34 am by thesirensings »

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline Pots

• Chibi
Re: Kcon picnic?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »
OOh i would love to come. I can do Friday but maybe not Saturday.

I can bring tons of food too : )

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:18:43 pm »
Awesome! :D The only problem with Friday is that I don't know what time I'll be arriving. ^^; I need to find that out from my ride. That's why I have Friday listed as a "I have no freaking clue day." ^^;;;

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:45:17 pm »
Dude that sounds so totally righteously dudetastic.  

I went on a picnic with Fallon once.  I think we went to Clackamas(?) mall.  I forget.  There was a park out front.  And this squirrel was just standing right next to me on the bench and staring at me.  I recorded it on my cell phone too, haha. 

Er, anyways..

I'll list what I brought, just to illustrate 1) what I could possibly bring assuming I can make it there 2) give ideas ^^

Jalapeno cheese bread rolls with turkey breast, green leaf lettuce, tomato slices, condiments.

Ra~mu~ne~~

Water (coz water is good, yo)

Fresh strawberries

Cheese sticks

Wasabi Doritos  (These were actually surprisingly good!)

Beef jerky

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS FRUIT SNACKS (coz they were all out of Hello Kitty ones -- seriously, wtf did they go?  I can't find them anywhere anymore!!! THEY WERE SO GOOD! CUTE STUFF TASTES BETTER! FACT.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:46:53 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:47:19 pm »
Most of that stuff sounds awesomely delicious. x3

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 11:48:52 pm »
YEah! It was! Maybe Fallon can vouch for me on this one! That I actually put together a picnic that was pretty sweet! At least in my opinion!!

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55:43 pm »
Picnic seems fun!
But I probably couldn't bring much of anything since I live in Washington.
Though I probably could bake something and bring it down...

But it would depend what days as to what I make.
I could easily make a nice cake with the help of my mom but it would have to be on Friday for that.

Or I could make cupcakes, muffins, or cookies.
My mom was a professional cake maker when we lived in South Carolina and she has taught me a few things about baking. ^^

But that's about all I can do...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:57:25 pm »
All of that sounds just splendid! >w< I look forward to nomming on it! 8D

I actually don't live in Portland either, so I have to drag stuff with me. ^^; Thankfully, I'm staying at someone's house, and I'm pretty sure it'd be okay to use their fridge. So if I make fried rice, it'll be okay even if the picnic IS on a Saturday.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:59:24 pm by thesirensings »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:12 pm »
Dude, I have always so totally wanted to make my strawberry pizza for some peeps.  I mean, I make it for family during holidays and they all love it.  But it'd be cool to hook up some of you peeps with some strawberry goodness.  One problem though is that it does require refrigeration, so I dunno how I'd solve that.. Maybe stick it in a cooler with a bunch of ice?  I dunno.  ^^

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:11 am »
I'm staying at the hotel so cooking stuff there is out of the question.
I'd have to get something that doesn't need to be chilled or my roommates won't nom on if it's on Sat.

As for refrigeration, an ice chest is best. Just make sure you don't crush it with the ice and lay it on top.

Maybe I could make Peppermint Biscotti?
It's a family recipe. ^^

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:21 am »
Peppermint biscotti? owo That sounds amazing!

The strawberry pizza sounds delicious too!

It sounds like everyone going on the picnic is a wonderful cook! But now I'm hungry. D:

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:52:16 pm »
picnic good, just tell everyone to bring something and make a list of what is being brought.

Do we have a location?  I know time and day is still a question, but location should be made first if the others you are unsure of.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »
The thing is, I'm not very familiar with Portland. I've only been there once, and that was at last Kumoricon. I was hoping maybe someone could suggest a nice part that's neraby, or something. ^^;;;

Offline ouruknak

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »
I am pretty familiar with portland and Pioneer squarr would be easy and simple for everyone also, with my culinary background I could whip up some things :3
Don't poke the bear :3

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »
I was considering Pioneer square, but I was worried that it might not be sufficiently picnic-y.

Offline ouruknak

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »
I was considering Pioneer square, but I was worried that it might not be sufficiently picnic-y.

Its perfect actually there are lots of places to sit and stuff and i've had a picnic there before :3
Don't poke the bear :3

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »
I could probably bring lots of drinks! i seem to do that a lot

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 04:09:20 pm »
Awesome! We don't have anyone bringing drinks yet!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:52:20 am by thesirensings »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »
Can we have a bbq in the square?  Just wondering..

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:42 am »
Hay gais! There be some impotant updates in the first post, so all you who've been here before, please be sure to check it out!

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:51 am »
I've just been informed that Pioneer Square has been booked for most of Kcon weekend. Therefore, we need to find another place. Anyone feel okay with the Fountain Plaza?

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:28 am »
FYI For you guys. The nearest park is Director Park (b/w sw taylor & sw park) which is two blocks away.. its the street over after sw broadway. It would be a very nice setting for your k-con picnic than pioneer square. and You can also take pictures there. I hope that is of some help to you guys. 
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:03 pm »
Whenever I look at the map, the place that everone's says is Director Park is listed as CONSTRUCTION. Was it under construction last year and the map hasn't been updated?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
Siren might know already from my other post, but it is said on the lego website that Director Park is being used as well as the square the weekend of con.

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 11:05:26 am »
My group and I would love to join in on this. I'd have to talk to them before I can figure out what we'd bring, but we'd be all over this...

As for a "parky" place, there's always that park across from Lloyd Center (between the movie theatre and Double Tree), where a lot of us hung out at when Kumoricon was at the Double Tree. It's very "parky", even has the picnic tables, and a "play in the water" fountain thingy. Being able to park at Lloyd Center makes that very convient, plus it is free to ride the MAX from con to this park, and it's really not that many stops.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 11:11:49 pm »
If it's on Friday, I'tll probably have to be after people get their badges and whatnot. If Saturday, I'd guess around lunch time.

Well, I might be able to go on that Friday.  I'll be working at the pre-reg table, so I'll have to finish that first.

As for Saturday, it shouldn't be too bad, so long as it's between 10am & 4pm.  It's probable that I'll be part of the Opening ceremonies, and I'm one of the members of the Kumoricon Comedy panel.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 12:05:41 am »
I have decided on Friday. It would be much easier for people to bring food, and keep it somewhat fresh, if it were on Day 0.

Also, is anyone willing to bring paper plates and plastic forks? Cups might be needed, depending on what we have. I am certain, however, that plates are a necessity.

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 12:07:52 am »
the park looked fine last week. a few people where hanging out there and what nots. I'm sure it would be fine for a hang out spot for your picnic.
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 10:36:27 am »
We should be keeping a tally of how many people have said they will go, that way we know, roughly, how many people might be there. I don't know how many people in my group are going to go, but I know at least four of us will. There's a possibility of up to nine, though I doubt that.

I can probably do the plates/forks/what not... I'll know more after today since I'll finally be able to talk to some of the people in my group.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »
Well....so far we have the following people who have shown interest. I put an asterisk by those who I know are going to attend:

Gryffinclaw Princess *
thesirensings *
reppy
ouruknak
roscoeTEHclam
Washougal_Otaku
DSaturn* (+3*-8 others)
camname21
FateChooseMe* (She doesn't have a choice. I'm dragging her along. XP)
Romo* (I'll probably drag her with me, too.)

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »
My group and I would love to join in on this. I'd have to talk to them before I can figure out what we'd bring, but we'd be all over this...

As for a "parky" place, there's always that park across from Lloyd Center (between the movie theatre and Double Tree), where a lot of us hung out at when Kumoricon was at the Double Tree. It's very "parky", even has the picnic tables, and a "play in the water" fountain thingy. Being able to park at Lloyd Center makes that very convient, plus it is free to ride the MAX from con to this park, and it's really not that many stops.

That sounds nice...does the MAX come back the same way, or do we have to take another line or whatnot to get back?

Offline Kasper

• Oni
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
update the list by adding me to it,Please. Also what time Friday will it start and where (address)? Just let me know what to bring.

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »
The MAX is the same line, it's just that, down by the hotel, it is a street up/down apart because of the one-way roads.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:53:32 pm by DSaturn »

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »
Okay, apparently, the LEGO event is going to be in Pioneer Square Sep.3-5, and in Directors Park on the 6th. So theoretically, we COULD have the picnic there.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »
ya, director park will be free on the date this is wanted.

If you don't know where this is, it is just two blocks west of the hotel, next to taylor st.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:40:39 pm by camname21 »

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »
I would love to join this, but it would have to be after 6:00pm.

Offline JuneJoyHeart

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 09:40:50 pm »
(O.O) can always go to the water front park (>.<) and its right by the river. I would go but lol i just got back to Portland and i forgot to register (T_T) gonna be along line for me on Saturday
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:42:02 pm by JuneJoyHeart »

(>^_^)><(^_^<) <--- *yaoi action*  *innocent bystander*-----> (/)_(\) I SEE NOTHINGGGGGG!!!!

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 10:45:59 am »
Okay, some things finally got settled with my group. Most of them are coming from Central Oregon and there was some horrible communication going on a few days ago. But now that everything has been worked out, I know a few things. They plan to be in Portland by 3 at the absolute latest, so there should be at the very least six of us showing up. I think the other two have to work on Friday so they won't be coming done until late that night or early the next morning, and I don't think I'll have my niece, so six might be my final number.

On a side note... If anyone has HeartGold or SoulSilver, they should bring there Pokewalkers because at least two of us will have ours on us so we can sync up. I might even steal my brother's and there's a possibility that there will be another on among the group.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »
I've heard Waterfront Park is nice, what does everyone in here think?

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 10:00:33 am »
I'm going to go check the areas out today, since I'm going to be in that area anyways... Right now, I think Holladay Park would be our best bet (that's the one by Lloyd Center) because it's green and extremely parky, plus it has a play in the water area, plus it has picnic tables so we would have a good place to set food. If I remember correctly, Waterfront Park is a nice green place, but it's extremely long, so we'd have to be pretty specific on where we meet in there. I have not been to the other one before so I don't know anything about it at the moment.

But, like I said, I'm going to be in that area today, so I'll go look and take pictures, and make a full report when I get back.

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »
If your going to do this on Friday you might need to take care of the time, people will check into their hotel room at around 12-2pm and then I believe pre-reg pickup is around 4pm? dunno exactly and don't know if there is going to be a long line or what. Late in the day wouldn't everyone be hanging out around the hotel in cosplay taking pics and what not?

And as for location holladay is kinda far away from the hotel but that's just my opinion, I'd go for waterfront personally
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline JuneJoyHeart

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 03:09:43 pm »
yushhhhh waterfront ftw

(>^_^)><(^_^<) <--- *yaoi action*  *innocent bystander*-----> (/)_(\) I SEE NOTHINGGGGGG!!!!

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 08:04:48 pm »
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22683&id=1693285201&l=9fc25f94f7

These are the pics I took today... I only did a couple of each of the three parks.

Directors Park:
Pluses: It's extremely close to the hotel. It does have tables for setting stuff. It's kind of pretty in all it's stoney-ness.
Minuses: There's no grass, so it doesn't have a park feel to it. It's not all that big.
Overall: This would be the last of the three I would recommened.

Waterfront Park:
Pluses: It's green and grassy. It's fairly close to the hotel.
Minuses: With how long it is, we'd have to be extremely specific with where we'd meet (I would suggest near Saturday Market since it's the eaisest place to converge at). If it were in that area, seating would be steps.
Overall: This would be my second choice. If you want to get as close to the hotel as possible and be grassy, I would suggest this one.

For both of the above, that part of downtown seems to be viewed as dangerous towards the evening by out-of-towners.

Holladay Park:
Pluses: It's green, grassy, and lots of trees. It has picnic tables. It's a very easy place to meet up at.
Minuses: It is the farthest away (9 stops on the MAX)
Overall: This is my favorite option, simply because it's pretty, it's easy to meet up at, and it has tables for us to store stuff on. The MAX ride doesn't seem like it takes that long to me, but that might be because I go along that route a lot. I think the convience of the park itself would be worth the ride.

Overall, Overall: I'd say go for Holladay if you don't think the MAX ride would be too much (9 stops seems like nothing to me, but that might just be because I ride it all the time). Otherwise, I'd vote for Waterfront if you want to stay on that side of the river.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 08:20:04 pm »
I vote for waterfront park. Holliday park is just too far away to walk from the hotel.

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »
I shall be there

China bound!!!

Offline sporkoon

• Chibi
    • Long neglected deviantart site
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:46 pm »
i'll try to be there ^_^ i get off work at 5 and then i need to get my badge and stuff... but after that!
()()
(**)
(___)0
If love is blind, then I have 20/20 vision

Offline jessieku

• Cabbit
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:19 pm »
I would love to attend, I'll probably be dragging one or two people with me.  :)

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
I'd really like to have it as close to the hotel as possible, so it's easier to find. So Director Park or Fountain Plaza, since those two are on the provided map. I was leaning towards Fountain Plaza myself, as the Spin the Bottle Event is happening there as well, and I'm hoping to recruit peoples for that event. Add that to the fact that a bunch of people coming to the picnic are also planning to go to Spin the Bottle, I think it would be best to have it at Fountain Plaza for as little confusion as possible.

Offline Kasper

• Oni
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »
Well when the location is decided please let me know. Also what should I bring? so not to have every one bringing chips or paper plates like the last picnic i went to. lol it was still fun but would have been better if there had been a bigger selection then chips or paper plate.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
Siren, why don't you put a list of attendance on the first post and next to each name put what they are bringing? ^^
This will make things easier to keep track of.

Also!
I really need a time for when this will be happening.
I don't know when I'm getting to Portland but I probably won't be in my room until 3-4 because of when my roommates are getting back.
Unless Molly gets there when they do and grabs me a key...And I don't want to haul my luggage around with me all day so I probably will get to Portland close to that time.