Author Topic: 2011: Hetalia & SatW (Please Post Your Photos, and Thank You! <3)  (Read 402677 times)

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
    • I'm not here I'm on Tumblr
Re: 2011: Hetalia & SatW
« Reply #1950 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58:31 am »
^Done so. :3

EDIT: Hey Miria, you need to find a wig for Seborga and send me the link. Or give me a color so I can search Arda, TaoBao, etc~
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:01:49 am by Shi_no_Akuma »
Tumblr | Next Con: Fanime
.:As:.
☆ Porrim Maryam ☆ Mami Tomoe ☆
☆ Roxy Lalonde ☆ Jade Harley ☆
☆ The Disciple ☆ Aradia Megido ☆
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #1951 on: May 23, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »
Bllllaaarrrgh.
So, apparently I'm having an all female con.
Nyo!Denmark and Nyo!Prussia are /officially/ what I am doing. I ordered the boots for it this morning. They're sexy~
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1952 on: May 23, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »

EDIT: Hey Miria, you need to find a wig for Seborga and send me the link. Or give me a color so I can search Arda, TaoBao, etc~
WHERE WERE YOU TODAY. I SAW YOU WERE IN CALCULUS. YOU SHOULD GET ON SO I CAN DO THIS.

Poor Shi. So many people are switching their cosplays. xD;; But I do it too, so I'm one to talk. .
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
« Reply #1953 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
Saki: All right. :3

WHERE WERE YOU TODAY. I SAW YOU WERE IN CALCULUS. YOU SHOULD GET ON SO I CAN DO THIS.

Poor Shi. So many people are switching their cosplays. xD;; But I do it too, so I'm one to talk. .
I WENT HOME NEAR THE END OF THIRD BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT. I'll get on, but I don't think you're awake. 8D;

Bah. xD It's not the end of the world.
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline denmark518

• Cabbit
« Reply #1954 on: May 25, 2011, 02:16:42 pm »
I'm going as Sweden and Denmark
The Nordics will rule you all

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1955 on: May 25, 2011, 02:59:41 pm »
I'm sort of bummed out by this, but I might not be able to do Liechtenstein at all.  Money is quite limited for me, and I want to focus on a single cosplay, if possible, so I'm focusing on Sailor Neptune first.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1956 on: May 25, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »
Yeah, that's why i'm skipping out on Chibitalia. I have other cosplays that i'm much more interested in now and i really need to save the money.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1957 on: May 25, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »
Saki: All right. :3

I WENT HOME NEAR THE END OF THIRD BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT. I'll get on, but I don't think you're awake. 8D;

Bah. xD It's not the end of the world.
o hai, I finally found the wig for Seborga. Is it the right colour?

Plus, it's on sale! :D
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline snafu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1958 on: May 31, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
I won't be able to do Bulgaria due to the fact that I will be studying in South Korea at con time.  However, I should be back in the States for SakuraCon, where I intend to cosplay Bulgaria and Romania for sure.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1959 on: May 31, 2011, 12:38:23 pm »
^ Really?  How sweet!  Where in South Korea?  Seoul?  Busan?  Daegu?

Offline snafu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1960 on: May 31, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
^ Really?  How sweet!  Where in South Korea?  Seoul?  Busan?  Daegu?

Actually it's at Soonchunhyang University in Asan, which is about a 2 hr drive or 1.5 hour subway ride southwest of Seoul.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1961 on: June 01, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
OIC

The name of the city has reminded me of Rafiki.  "Asande sana Squash banana!"

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1962 on: June 06, 2011, 02:15:08 am »
I'm actually going to make a big plushie of Åland to carry around with me at the con <3

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1963 on: June 07, 2011, 06:26:12 am »
I might do chibitalia if it all works out.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1964 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06:23 am »
^ Maybe you can buy Saki's Chibitalia cosplay...

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1965 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:06 am »
^ Maybe you can buy Saki's Chibitalia cosplay...

dats the plan i hope o.o

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1966 on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:21 am »
Sweet deal!

*sigh* I'm still a little sad that I'm most likely not going to be Liechtenstein this year...

...and I think I've figured out why there's no Israel in Hetalia: because of Germany and the Holocaust.  Maybe those who are more familiar with the series and the manga can have a better idea on if my theory is correct or not, but it's what I came up with last night while at work.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1967 on: June 07, 2011, 02:45:12 pm »
Well, there are still a lot of countries that haven't been personified yet, possibly never.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1968 on: June 07, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »
^ Yeah, but it seems kind of weird that there are many real countries that haven't and random bits of whatever's that are not countries that have been characters.  I guess that's just my opinion.

I suppose I could see about borrowing some traditional-style Jewish clothing from my pastor, or something, and create an Israel like I've talked about before (if I can't do Liechtenstein)...

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #1969 on: June 08, 2011, 12:26:39 am »
It's not like Himaruya would have to go over the Holocaust if Israel was a character and that's what's keeping him from doing it. There are probably other countries that interest him more and that he knows more about. He pretty much just does what he feels like doing.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1970 on: June 08, 2011, 01:05:29 am »
^ Okay, I can go with that. :D

Offline Blender

• Chibi
« Reply #1971 on: June 08, 2011, 08:25:09 am »
So, I'm getting a Japan cosplay but I'm not going to be wearing it ti Kumo.
I've ordered it a few days ago so...yeah. I might be able to make meet-ups but that's slim.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1972 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:29 pm »
Yeah, the Holocaust isn't the reasoning. He created the Slavic and Baltic countries, after all, and he avoided it with them.

I figure he avoided the Middle East because of Afghanisu-tan.

Also, the Japanese like to ignore the Holocaust. Which is why fashions such as Nazi chic exist.  :-\

When you say traditional Jewish clothes, you mean Ashkenazi Jewish clothes? Can't really see Israel dressed as a denizen of Williamsburg when most Israelis aren't Ashkenazim, but then again, the countries are based off of stereotypes.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1973 on: June 08, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
I also might add that the Holocaust and the Nazi's probably wouldn't be the best thing to throw into comedy about bishi personifications of countries. Out of all the things i'm comfortable with poking fun at, the Holocaust isn't one of them...I know that sounds a little stupid, but that's how i've always seen it.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1974 on: June 08, 2011, 05:12:46 pm »
Uh, yeah, that'd be a little awkward. .

. . Looking at you, American dub.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1975 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:32 pm »
^ I still have yet to find that episode in its original Japanese... any recommendations on where to look for that?

When you say traditional Jewish clothes, you mean Ashkenazi Jewish clothes?

That might be an option... it'd mainly depend on whatever my pastor has, and would be willing to let me borrow.  I know that he has various tallits and kippas, and his son has told me that he does have some traditional Jewish garbs from Israel; I know little of his collection beyond that.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1976 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
Youtube. If not, I dunno. I don't watch APH.

Out of curiosity, why does your pastor have traditional Israelite wear?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1977 on: June 09, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »
Israel, while a theocratic state, isn't especially faith-oriented in its culture and the day-to-day lives of its people. Wearing the stuff that people normally only wear for Shabbat would be like wearing a priest's cassock to represent a majority-Catholic nation. It's more of a modern European nation. Sort of. It's complicated.

If you wanted to do a Hetalia-type stereotype of Israel, it'd probably be something like a slightly militaristic, but mostly fashionable person who talks really loudly. And looks up to Golda Meir but really I'm just biased.

But if you just wanna do an Ashkenazim, there's an interesting fan theory that Austria is meant to be the stereotypical young, rich Ashkenazim. Out of all the German nations, he's the only brown-haired, non-militaristic one who emphasizes the arts and frugality. There's also that post-Anschluss comic. "Austria would make Germany miserable living at his house. Demanding things like tea and snacks! Actually he did all the slave labor. Hilarious." Implying that the people Austria represented were the ones in the camps.

Dude, what did the dub do?
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1978 on: June 09, 2011, 01:40:01 pm »
^ In the dub, Italy was being extra annoying towards Germany, so he said "Do you WANT me to gas you!?!"  He didn't say it out of anger, but more like, "Why are you being extra annoying?"  I saw it as being on the same level of "Do you WANT me to kick your ass!?!" kind of thing, but I'd like to see the correct subtitled version, first.

I tried YouTube.  For some reason, the episodes that they have don't match the number that I found the English dub to have been.

He's Jewish by birth, and my congregation is Messianic Jewish.  He could technically be called a "Rabbi" but since we worship Jesus (Yeshua!) he personally prefers "Pastor" as his title.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:43:24 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1979 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:04 pm »
I have no idea what to think of that. It's probably a good thing I found the dub impossible to watch from the get-go. :/
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1980 on: June 09, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »
The websight i normally watch Hetalia (in Japanese) at is at GoGoAnime.com

Also, about the whole "Do you want me to gas you" thing. I know that if just about any other character in the series said something like that, it wouldn't be a huge problem. It's just the fact that Germany, out of everyone else, said that. There's just so may other things they could've made him say besides something like that. Like you said, "Do you want me to kick your ass?" is something he could've easily said besides that.
I don't really want to get into this discussion any more than it needs to, but for us long-time fans who have watched Hetalia in it's original form and have always seen it as a cutesy, silly anime poking fun at non-offensive stereotypes, this is an outrage with what they did with the dub.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1981 on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:59 pm »
^ Thanks for that, Saki!  It looks like both options weren't even close to what was actually said, so the ass thing would have been "better," depending on the thought process...  (BTW, Chan says "HI!" to you).

So, while I was watching this episode with my girlfriend next to me, she recommended that she and I go as Germany & Italy (though I doubt that she meant for KCon '11).  At first, I thought she meant that I'd be Italy, but he's not really my ideal character for cosplaying.  She clarified Germany because I'm more stern, and I though the timing of her comment was somewhat tactless...

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1982 on: June 09, 2011, 02:44:44 pm »
No problem. And yeah, they could've done a lot of things different with the dub. Also, i know some people will be all "but you don't have to watch it." and that's true. I'm just angry that all of the people who have never watched Hetalia before will more than likely watch the dub first and have to go through all of that. The APH haters have nearly doubled sense the dub came out last year...

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1983 on: June 09, 2011, 05:11:47 pm »
I referencing when the Allies are coming up with random theories, and France mentions that Germany is sending millions of Jews to death camps.

They all laugh and say it could never happen. Which is facepalm worthy. (first work camp was built when Hitler got into power, although they didn't start with the extermination camps until 1941, which was after France was taken over. Also, the allies were given plenty of intelligence on the death camps, although the dub does get one thing right- They didn't believe it, or said they didn't.)

Although that example works, too, though.

Also, Saki, if anyone else in the series said something about it I'd be pretty pissed, too. Germany isn't the only country to have committed genocide.  :-\

As for "don't like don't watch. ." Well, you don't have to watch it, but the fact that it tactlessly makes fun of genocide and horrors is rather. . Well, I tend to not have much respect for people who make those sorts of jokes and would actually like to break their kneecaps, how about that?

As for Israel, I see him wearing an IDF uniform and carrying around an Uzi. Not all Jews are Ashkenazim, after all.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1984 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »

Also, Saki, if anyone else in the series said something about it I'd be pretty pissed, too. Germany isn't the only country to have committed genocide.  :-\

I know, but considering the Holocaust is a better known example of that, i was only suggesting that it couldn't have been someone just using a weird figure of speech that came off the top of their head.

I guess i should've worded that differently ^^;

Offline Randonarnold

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1985 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:34 pm »
My Canada Cosplay is 100%.
Since this is my first cosplay ever, I decided to go simple. I bought the wig, a red sweatshirt that I'm going to sew a maple leaf patch to, wearing jeans and regular shoes and carrying Kumajirou. I'm soooooooooooo excited.

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
« Reply #1986 on: June 10, 2011, 02:38:53 am »
RPG: Whoo~ : D That's awesome. /person who's projects are half-done or not even started. At least I have almost all the wigs?

Hey Miria, how attached are you to doing Pirates?
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1987 on: June 10, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »
RPG: Whoo~ : D That's awesome. /person who's projects are half-done or not even started. At least I have almost all the wigs?

Not very. We can do it next year.

. . Succession is still happening, though, right?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Shi_no_Akuma

• Chibi
« Reply #1988 on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »

Not very. We can do it next year.

. . Succession is still happening, though, right?

All right~

Of course Succession's still happening~ I just started to realize how much I really did not want to sew the coats for Pirates on top of the three OTT ones Succession's demanding, along with the Nyotalia outfits.
Also, be very, very, very glad you're already in California. Guess who's girlyfriend is coming to town for the week. For bonus points, guess who he wants to meet her.
☆ Maggie Lacivi ☆

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #1989 on: June 10, 2011, 08:24:48 pm »

And looks up to Golda Meir
and Ben Gurion and Yitzchak Rabin

As for Israel, I see him wearing an IDF uniform and carrying around an Uzi. Not all Jews are Ashkenazim, after all.
Problems with this statement. :/
Most Jews in the world are Ashkenazi. In Israel they probably make up about half the population. Being Ashkenazi and serving in the IDF are not mutually exclusive things. You still have to serve in the military if you are an Israeli citizen unless you are Haredi or are an Arab that has opted out.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1990 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:14 pm »
Problems with this statement. :/
Most Jews in the world are Ashkenazi. In Israel they probably make up about half the population. Being Ashkenazi and serving in the IDF are not mutually exclusive things. You still have to serve in the military if you are an Israeli citizen unless you are Haredi or are an Arab that has opted out.
Half the Jewish population, actually; I looked it up before I posted. I was just stating that not all Jews are Ashkenazim.

As for the IDF uniforms, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling IDF uniforms aren't traditional Jewish garb, which is what Washougal was talking about. As for compulsory service, I'm perfectly aware of it. I never stated Ashkenazim don't serve in the Israeli military. I suppose I could have worded it better.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1991 on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:05 pm »

I love gogoanime.com
heres others as well o.o
http://www.anilinkz.com/
http://www.animecrazy.net/

if those help you guys as well <3 and i m not done watching hetalia I am working on it though the american one hurt my poor brain and i cant get japans and china english voice out of my head when i watch

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1992 on: June 10, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »

That could work, I suppose...

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1993 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:33 pm »

I love gogoanime.com
heres others as well o.o

if those help you guys as well <3 and i m not done watching hetalia I am working on it though the american one hurt my poor brain and i cant get japans and china english voice out of my head when i watch

You know, there's always the manga and webcomic as well >w>; The manga and webcomic have all of the jokes and memes that people bring up (including that Germany and Italy, are, in fact, a canon pairing in the series. And a lot of other stuff that they didn't bother putting into the anime for some god-knows-why reason.)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1994 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:50 pm »

I love gogoanime.com
heres others as well o.o

You know, there's always the manga and webcomic as well >w>; The manga and webcomic have all of the jokes and memes that people bring up (including that Germany and Italy, are, in fact, a canon pairing in the series. And a lot of other stuff that they didn't bother putting into the anime for some god-knows-why reason.)

oh oh yes those too -points -

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1995 on: June 11, 2011, 06:13:38 am »
Yeah, it's funny actually. Before i even got into the series people kept telling me to read the manga before i start to watch the anime. It goes without saying that i didn't listen to them at all and just decided to watch the anime first. Now i can say that i do wish i would've read the manga first, because it just has so much more to offer. Being caught up with all of the jokes and references from the start would've been really helpful when dealing with the fanart, videos, cosplays, and just about everything else it had to offer. The only reason really to watch the anime is to get to listen to the character's voices (at least in my opinion). Plus, Studio Deen kind of derped up with some of the character disigns (though, most anime does that).

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #1996 on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:32 am »
^And it bugs me how many tanned characters they just made completely white. Like Turkey and Egypt for instance. Also, where did Germania's side braid go? Would it have been that much more money/effort to add the braid in? Ha.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:56:57 am by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1997 on: June 11, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »
I know right? I actually thought Spain and the original drawings of Spain were two different people at first. It's bizzare on how unnaturally pale he is in the anime.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1998 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:07 pm »
Is Seychelles in the anime?

I noticed in Gakuen Hetalia, she was really. . White.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1999 on: June 11, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »
Yeah, she just got into the anime.

And yes, she's very white in the anime too. Again, i thought it was someone else at first before i saw her dress and pigtails...