Author Topic: Cosplay Gym?  (Read 10326 times)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: Cosplay Gym?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:44 pm »
I am wasted.  I played basketball, and the final game ended up going to 25-23 (we won, yay).  It was supposed to be first to 15, win by 2 .. but it was back and forth basically from the point it was tied at 11-11.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:16 pm »
.... Ren I think we're the same person.

I mean I had a gym membership briefly, but I had a hard time staying for very long when I went because I literally had no idea what i was doing and I just felt stupid next to all the "gym pros," there was also the fact that half the staff were guys that I had gone to high school with who liked to give me crap while I tried to work the machines... (my gym ended up going bankrupt and shutting down so it's not an issue anymore anywho.)

I try to go on a daily like hour power-walk (God I sound like an old woman) because I know I look like a baby giraffe when I run. lol. I've cut out my 5 coke a day habit and stopped eating buffet style meals 4 times a day and thats done a lot, but now I'm at the crossroads where I need to be more proactive if I'm ever actually going to be pleased with the way I look.

If you didn't live so fricken far away I would say we could go work out akwardly together... Power in numbers bro!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:57:28 pm by Dubaby »
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »
Sadly, I don't have a work out bddy.
D:

I wish I had a workout buddy... I had one lined up for awhile, but he didn't pan out. I'm really disappointed that I haven't taken up running like I said I would, but I just can't shake the feeling that I look stupid by myself. I mean somehow I've continued to lose weight so I'm down to about 35 pounds lost, but I know if I want to lose that last ten pounds or more and tone up, that just watching my food intake and keeping busy isn't going to be enough. Somebody set me straight! I'm ridiculous I just ate a fricken ice-cream cone, then again I barely ate today but still. Sorry I'm rambling, it's just the stress talking.... =/

It's okay, I just had some ice cream tonight, too, knowing it won't help me any. You gotta give yourself a break every now and then, and if these things are few and far between, your desires lessen and their effects aren't as accumulated and destructive.

But I know what you mean. Back before I injured my knees I tried running and it can feel kind of odd. Personally, I am just not a runner. I can burn just as much from walking at a brisk pace uphill or at varying inclines, so don't think running is your only option. A fast walk can be just as effective.

And you're definitely on the right track as far as diet. Most people who are struggling to get over that little hump of weight need both diet control and exercise, one alone won't get you where you want. That's what I've been learning lately. I have been working out a ton, but in order to shed the weight I want, I need to cut my intake. Just start with little things, try to eat more meals of lesser portions, cut the sugars and sweets and junk (yadda yadda yadda - you all know the gist). Eat healthy, drink water constantly! Can't stress that enough, water will fill you, keep your metabolism going and will make you want to eat less. Keep a couple water bottles in the fridge and just cycle through them. Try to get through 3 or 4 in a day, it'll do you really well.

Anyway, long post, sorry, but don't get discouraged, Dubaby! The hardest part is setting yourself to the task. Keeping it can be self-motivating, the rewards are there, it just takes a little initiative. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »
.... Ren I think we're the same person.

Haha, we just might be! All the places I've ever been like gyms and the like I've had to stop going because of money, unfortunately. Didn't mean that the ENTIRE time I was there I wasn't feeling like some freak because I couldn't bench a gorilla or run 5,000 laps in ten minutes.

And don't get me started on the red face! That's what I worry about the most. I'm freakin' Irish, right? So it gets above 75 degrees and my face turns red and people think I'm about to pass out. Imagine what I must look like when working out then! =(

I'm a little shallow. But only with myself.

Long distance work out buddies? Haha. Power in numbers, bro!
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 11:09:18 pm »
@Mei: I'd just encourage you with the thought that, despite the gym's obsession on physical fitness and appearance, almost nobody there actually notices anyone else. The truth is, everyone is self-conscious. Almost everyone there is there because they are unhappy with themselves in some way, and everyone has the same hangups about people looking at them and thinking about them. I know you're not at a gym now, but if you ever have a chance again, just remember: everyone is just as self-conscious as you. You're there to work out and work on yourself just like they are. Most people who work out are in their own little world, focusing on their own thing, anyway.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:32 pm »
And don't get me started on the red face! That's what I worry about the most. I'm freakin' Irish, right? So it gets above 75 degrees and my face turns red and people think I'm about to pass out. Imagine what I must look like when working out then! =(
EEEFFFFFFFFFFF..... seriously twins.

The few times I tried the actual exercise classes at my gym I'd do good at keeping up, but the teachers would almost always stop at some point and tell me to move to low-impact or make a scene over the fact that I was about to pass out where I'm like "No, I just get hot easily and my face gets red in two seconds..." but they never bought it.

Now everytime I work out I'm just thinking "People must think I'm a total louse if I look this winded from such little work.. ughhh"
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:46 pm »
Oh man, I get pretty red in the face, too.  Sometimes a slight hint of purple if I'm playing a really intense game of basketball that is requiring me to run around a lot.

Had a guy at school once ask me if I was okay.

"What do you mean?"

"Your face is all red."

"Oh. I worked out .. a few hours ago."

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 12:04:49 am »
And you're definitely on the right track as far as diet. Most people who are struggling to get over that little hump of weight need both diet control and exercise, one alone won't get you where you want. That's what I've been learning lately. I have been working out a ton, but in order to shed the weight I want, I need to cut my intake. Just start with little things, try to eat more meals of lesser portions, cut the sugars and sweets and junk (yadda yadda yadda - you all know the gist). Eat healthy, drink water constantly! Can't stress that enough, water will fill you, keep your metabolism going and will make you want to eat less. Keep a couple water bottles in the fridge and just cycle through them. Try to get through 3 or 4 in a day, it'll do you really well.
This.

If some of us are serious about wanting to work out I think we should up the involvement.  Those of  you who are looking for someone to work out with might want to tell the general area you live in, how far you can go to meet up, and the activities you want to do.  This may be gym work, walking, runing, cycling, sport like stuff, anything really.  Tell us what you are trying to accomplish and what kind of pace or how hard you want to work on yourself.  What kind of time do you have to work out?  Do you like mornings, evenings, lunch breaks?  I know some of us can do everything on our own, but even those people might be willing to group up.  It may even increase their performance.  If you have never done this with anyone, it might feel weird, but we are all trying to get close to the same thing and no one should be judging one another.  We are all doing our best and everyone should see that.

Example of ^above comment.

Can you travel to work out:
     Yes
How far from home/work:
     10-15miles, (I bike everywhere, but I'll bike to wherever I want to train if it is worth it.  Biking is not vary tiring for me anymore, easier to bike when I have a reason to go somewhere)
Time available: 
     Almost any time.
How much exercise are you looking for: 
     6+ hours,  (I have a lot of free time and really want to get in better shape.  I know most people don't have that kind of time.  I'm good with 1 hour activities at a time)
What are you looking for: 
     Cardio mostly, I have a few pounds around the tummy I want to see GONE!, muscle strengthening is nice but cant afford a gym.
What is your current fitness level:
     Not overweight, can run 5+ miles.    (I don't know a better scale)
Activities interested in: 
     I love to do sports as my cardio, ones like soccer or tennis or frisbee and anything that I'm moving a lot as a group.  Having a group goal makes it fun, and makes me forget I'm working out.  I dislike running by myself but it is a little better with another person.  I'd work out on wights with a partner if anyone had a home gym and knew more lifts then me :D  I like to bike, and would be interested in long bike rides.  Once a month rides to cool places I've not been to much would be nice, could even do some touring around oregon.  A weekend or more would be awesome. 

If anyone likes the above idea but does not like posting on the forums, maybe someone can make another site for it or have a private phone tree or something..  I'm just throw'n this out there for anyone who is vary interested in getting in shape but doesn't know anywhere to start.  Also, there are a lot of groups on the internet that do this vary thing.  You might enjoy just staying with the cosplay community, but you will also find more people wanting to work out if you look elsewhere.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 07:08:07 am »
That's a great idea, Camname21. That kind of system will be great for getting everyone on the same page and getting a sort of directory of exercise going. There is also the Community section of Craigslist for reaching the general public outside of the congoer community, but even this is a great start.

As for me, I'm not really looking for anyone to work out with, but I can make myself available if others want to join me.

Can You Travel:
Probably not. I'm pretty dependent on my gym, Anytime Fitness.
Time Available:
Pretty much anytime during the week.
What Are You Looking For:
I do a lot of weight training, but I'm also looking to do more cardio.
What is Your Current Fitness Level:
Overweight, a lot of muscle hidden by pudge. I want to tone up the muscle underneath and burn the fat on top. I have bad knees, so running and super-active sports are out for me, but I can go on walks, or slow jogs.
Activities Interested In:
I enjoy lifting weights and exploring the ways to stimulate different muscle groups. I tend to do about 45-70 mins of weight training every day, working different areas, and there's a lot of lifts I would be glad to share with others if asked.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 08:11:22 am »
One thing that has helped my husband and I drink more water is getting one of those brita water pitchers .  cheaper and better for the environment, ame it makes my tap water taste better then most bottled water
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 08:15:18 am »
One thing that has helped my husband and I drink more water is getting one of those brita water pitchers .  cheaper and better for the environment, ame it makes my tap water taste better then most bottled water

Cool! I need to get something like that. At this point, my wife and I both just reuse plastic juice bottles, but I've been told recently that that isn't very good, because the chemicals in the plastic can contaminate the water, or something. So, we're out to good some quality, durable water bottles, just haven't done it yet.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 02:27:57 pm »
Awesome eve, I would recommend swimming if you have knee problems.  It is suppose to be one of the best cardio workouts if you have access to a pool.  Biking, outside or stationary, are also better on the knees then running.  I find it less boring then running.

To anyone with knee problems, make sure you do proper stretching.  I don't know all the problems happening to knees outside of just aging and reduced cartilage/lubrication in that area, but you may have pain in the knees because you do not take care of that area.  I know when I started biking a lot and doing more intense workouts my knees would sometimes be acing afterwords.  As soon as it started to actually bother my I looked into it just a tad and realized I was almost completely missing the areas just above and below the knee.  The stretches I was doing ether hit the wrong part of the muscle/tendons or didn't hit some of the smaller ones at all.  Easiest fix to a body ache ever, just stretch the right area!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, Camname! Yeah, I should have been taking advantage of my apartment's pool this Summer, but I just let it pass by. I'll have to be sure to take up swimming next year, though.

The issues I have with my knees are from injuries. I'm only 23 and I've got the knees of a 40 year old runningback. I tore the ligaments and cartilage in both my knees when I was about 13, had surgery on one knee, but the other was less severe so I haven't ever taken care of it. Even with the surgery though, my knees are just not the strongest joints in my body. But swimming has helped in the past, so I'm definitely just gonna get back into that. Thanks  :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »
Mind the double post-bump.

So, after another uneventful weekend due to work, I got back to the gym today and had a good, strong workout. I guess my weekend wasn't entirely uneventful - I probably am sweating off ten pounds a weekend, lol (seriously, so hot where I work).

But yeah, today was good. Did my crunches, did some nice lifts and presses, been eating decently. Now I'm just capping the night off with the premiere of Biggest Loser's new season, always a great way of motivating me to take better care of myself.

Everyone have a good weekend?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2010, 07:33:08 pm »
Was sick, was bad weekend. :(

Offline stardustninja

• Cabbit
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »
I want a work out buddy, I really do want to lose wait but its so hard because I start a diet it goes for a weak and then me and my mom g to the store and we forget about our diet I diet with my mom but shes not really a work out buddy that I can talk to really.....
I also need to lose some wait because of physiological problems because I have close to no confidence in myself and I think I look really ugly even when my friends tell me I'm not so if I can lose some wait it might boast my ego making me think a little higher of myself : D
Its going to be hard for me to work out because got moved out of PE to a study skills class because I'm stupid but I'll start riding my bike around town maybe.... I live nowhere close to a gym and even if i did I probably wouldn't be able to go, damn me only being 14 so I still live with my cheap mom!
*sighs* help.....
Cosplays 2011
Black-Pokemon black and white(the male trainer)
Poland- Hetalia

I'll do couple pictures for cash, its like prostituting myself but not.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2010, 10:19:57 pm »
There are actually a lot of very good body weight only or dumbbell exercises you could do.  Look up Tabata workouts on YouTube. ^^

Offline stardustninja

• Cabbit
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »
oh ok thank you :D
is special K is a good diet food, it's good but is it healthy?
Cosplays 2011
Black-Pokemon black and white(the male trainer)
Poland- Hetalia

I'll do couple pictures for cash, its like prostituting myself but not.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 01:18:46 am »
Cereal is just sugar, if you want a real diet try eating things you know what they are composed of to start.  Eggs and 'real' bread, fresh squeezed orange juice, stuff like that.

Stardust - where do you live and what kind of workout do you want to be doing?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:20:55 am by camname21 »

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »
Oh my gosh guys! i feel so bad for forgetting to keep track of this thread! I'm so happy to be reading about all you're progress! you guys rock! i've been keeping track of the facebook gym and have posted a challenge there (in case you guys didn't see it). I've been trying to get to the gym as much as possible myself. I work retail (as I'm sure a lot of you out there do as well), and it's getting to our favorite time of the year. So its been hectic, my hours keep varying so much that i sometime struggle with trying to find time to go to the gym.
I hope you all are having a fab weekend though!! Thanks for keeping this going while I was being an airhead  ;D
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »
Cool! I need to get something like that. At this point, my wife and I both just reuse plastic juice bottles, but I've been told recently that that isn't very good, because the chemicals in the plastic can contaminate the water, or something. So, we're out to good some quality, durable water bottles, just haven't done it yet.

just keep an eye on the number inside the recycle symbol, a 1 is best for least likly to leach anything
I had just thought the number meant the # of times its been recycled but its a code for types of plastice
1 is best here is a link
http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-identify-plastic-and-their-codes-a138297

from what I have read on the subject its heat changes that does the bad cem leaching like hot water in a plastic water bottle not a good idea or leaving water in a car during the summer
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackLaceAndPearl

• Catgirl
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »
I don't have a facebook, but I would like to join in spirit.  ;)
Next year, I have plans for cosplay that might be kinda skimpy, and even if I wear a nude leotard underneath everything, I still just wanna kinda get in shape and make sure I look okay in that cosplay in case I don't wear the leotard.  ;)
Kumoricon 2011

Elizabeth Middleford - Kuroshitsuji
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2010, 02:34:25 pm »

I really like my Kleen Kanteen water bottles.  Made from stainless steel. They're around $20 or so, though.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »
So, I've been trying to get motivated to work on toning my stomach but it's still not working out very well. DX

I am doing the Fitness Center at my college for credit which gives me full access to the school work out center any time I want to use it.
But yeah...I feel stupid working out alone...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2010, 09:16:38 pm »
gryff you shouldn't have much problem.  If you go a few times when you would regularly like to go, look at the people there and pick a girl you see there often at that time.  Walk up and ask if she is going to keep coming at that time and if she would like someone to work out with :)

Offline BlackLaceAndPearl

• Catgirl
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »
I need motivation to work out too. And I'm too young to go to a gym on my own. I'm pretty much reduced to anything I can do at home, plus walking the dog, and dance.  :P
Kumoricon 2011

Elizabeth Middleford - Kuroshitsuji
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 07:52:31 am »
That may seem all nice and easy, cam, but it isnt. I dont go to the gym at a set time because it depends on my other classes and my motivation. Plus, not a lot of people take the open gym class cause it is $50 more.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
I'm currently having a lot of trouble with my fitness because I'm sitting in a class/lab/library half the day, walk home, and then need to sit and do homework. And when that's all done I'm so tired I just want to sleep.

What do you guys do to stay healthy during the school year? I used to take classes that gave me access to gyms that I could never afford in my wildest dreams but my class schedule is purely devoted to the program I'm in now.
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 01:05:25 am »
You get someone who wants to go running with you at a ridiculously late hour, or whenever you are usually finished with homework but to tired to make yourself do something.  Buddy system is win.  I went running at like 1am the other night, its pretty peaceful with no one around.  Just a bit hard to see if you don't bring a flashlight, and most people might want to bring some sort of reflector/blinking light.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:03 pm »
Well, I am doing Grimmjow this year, and I do want to make or buy or whatever some sort of buff shirt.
So I have to work out like crazy >.< I joined!

Save Caprica!!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
You mean don't, right?  You really just need the abs.  He's not really buff looking, but anything extra would help. 

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:26 pm »
Haha sorry, I did mean don't.  ;D
But abbs are still difficult... especially when you're 14.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2010, 08:36:51 pm »
hey guys! just wanted to let u know that the facebook group is still there! sometimes i hear the wind whistling when i log onto it. No posts :( don't forget us!
Hope everyone is having fun at the gym! especially since this is the hardest time of year. not only do we have all those holidays (and holiday food!) but we have the flu, which makes us all sick and reallllly not willing to go to the gym.
Good luck!!
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2010, 02:50:19 am »
Haha sorry, I did mean don't.  ;D
But abbs are still difficult... especially when you're 14.
aww I feel for you, 14 is a bit tough but still doable.  I remember seeing a few other guys with nice abs at that age.  Just remember abs are mostly about body fat, but don't neglect them entirely.

Sui Fong, if I ever logged into facebook I would probably look, but I don't use that stuff much. 

If anyone in the milwaukie-to-oregon city area needs someone to run with send me a msg.  So hard to find anyone in here for this kind of thing.  Most people don't look at the fitness threads, and the ones that do don't say anything or are already doing good :/