Author Topic: One word: COLLEGE  (Read 3298 times)

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
One word: COLLEGE
« on: October 07, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »
Still a little too early for me (3 years, ok maybe not too early), but I'm suppose to be thinking about it now so...

- Which college do YOU go to? (and what are you planning on doing with your life :3)
- Which one do you PLAN on going to?
- Ever heard of any? What did you hear about it?
- Are there any ones you RECOMMEND or DISLIKE?

Let's talk it up!
As for me I'm thinking of PCC or University of Portland, although I do wanna go abroad for a year :3
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
Re: One word: COLLEGE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »
Hey~ ^^ I just started college this month, so I'm not a guru or anything. XD Just thought I'd try to help as best as I can~

I go to CCC, and I plan on getting my transfer degree there. It's really great to get you pre-requisites out of the way for a lot cheaper than going to a 4 year (in my opinion). ^^ After that, I'll probably transfer to Portland State. They have a great Japanese program, and I plan on teaching English in Japan!

As far as 4 year colleges go, it somewhat depends on what you want to do. For example, wolfy wants to be a teacher, so she's going to Western.

It's partially why I suggest going to a community college first. It's a very good plan, and it's a lot cheaper. It also gives you more time to think over and consider what you'd really like to do. :3

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:22 pm »
- Which college do YOU go to? (and what are you planning on doing with your life :3)
Art Institute of Portland. Majoring in Media Arts and Animation right now it looks like I'm going to be focusing my major on Visual Effects and Motion Graphics. Got 2 more years, and I'll get my Bachelors, yeahhhh~
- Are there any ones you RECOMMEND or DISLIKE?
Don't go to the Art Institute if you are going for a major you can get at another school in state.

And as VampireFangs said, go to community college first. I wish I had, but I just wanted to get the hell out of my town. Just remember to make sure whatever college you're transferring accepts the credits you are planning on taking.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:43:05 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:52:03 pm »
I go to CCC, and I plan on getting my transfer degree there. It's really great to get you pre-requisites out of the way for a lot cheaper than going to a 4 year (in my opinion). ^^ After that, I'll probably transfer to Portland State. They have a great Japanese program, and I plan on teaching English in Japan!
If you've taken Japanese before, the program will really drive you insane. At least, I took it for a year at PSU after four years in high school, hearing that it was a good program... from the university. Ask the students though.
It's a totally different story. Hell, even a few of the instructors didn't like the teaching material.
It was just weird. Then again, I can't represent everyone. You might just want to look into it just to be sure it's what you want. I suggest looking at the textbooks too. Pacific University's program is REALLY good but it's so freaking expensive that I couldn't even consider it X__X
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:21 am »
I live in Olympia, WA so the schools in my area probably won't be much help to many people on here.

- Right now I'm going to the local Community College, I'll be graduating from there at the end of march with my Associates in Education. I'm going to be an elementary school teacher. =]

- After Winter quarter I'm planning on transferring to Saint Martins University (it's legitimately 10 minutes from my house) to pursue the Bachelors in Education and teaching program... I might wait to start until fall though and work full time for a few months to save cash.

- I know quite a few people who go to or have graduated from Evergreen State University. The grading system is pretty unorthodox (you don't get letter grades, you do an end of quarter review and decide whether you deserve to pass or fail.) If you are down with the 'greener' scene it's pretty cool, I really wanted to go there but sadly they only have a condensed Masters program for Education, and not only is it insanely competitive, but extremely time consuming, and an extra two years of school isn't too appealing right now.

- When it comes to schools different people need different things, if you take the time to really research schools you should be able to find something that fits you well.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:03:09 am »
I went to CCC for two years, then transferred to PSU, which is where I am now.  Portland Community College, Clackamas Community College, and Mount Hood Community College are all great places to get your freshman and sophomore years out of the way, and core credits transfer cleanly to any other public university in the pacific northwest, as well as many others.  It's a great way to save $5-$10 per year without compromising the quality of your education.

As for where to go, it really depends on your major.  PSU is great for Math, Psychology, and lots of general subjects.  UofO is great for Music, Architecture, and Art.  OSU is great for Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, and other mathematical, technological majors.  UW seems to be a good choice for Computer Science and related subjects.  Beyond that I can't really make any recommendations, but there are services like OregonCIS and high school counselors and college fairs which can probably be a lot more informative than I can.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:11 am »
Oh my, so many good places ._.
I'm hoping to be a Nurse someday, so I'm paying really close attention in my biology and chemistry classes..
Any good college for nursing?
KUMORICON 2017

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:05:13 am »
I'm planning on going to U of O next year. I'm a senior in high school.
I mostly want to focus on English, specifically creative writing. But I also want to do anthropology, history, photography, and Japanese, and whatever sounds interesting.

Going to PCC first sounds interesting, but my mom refuses to let me go to community college. She also won't let me go to PSU because it's too close to home.
...damn my mom is controlling.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:24:11 pm »
For nursing, PCC has a joint program with OHSU that lets you work on getting certified as a nurse as an undergrad rather than a grad program. I don't know too many details, but that could be something for you to look into.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 07:26:44 pm »
Where you go really depends on what you wanna do, major/minor in etc...

I go to CCC, and have since I graduated in 2008
Last year I got my Associates of Art and Transfer Degree, this year I'm spending time just to work on my portfolio.

Currently I'm looking into Art schools in California and PNCA in Portland that would allow me to major in Illustration and Minor in Graphic Design.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »
UofO is great for Music, Architecture, and Art.  

Mm... U of O really isn't a good school for Art at all, not if you're an art major. They only offer a very generic art degree, otherwise I recommend an Art School which will give you more options like Photography, Sculpture, Model Design, Illustration, Animation, Game Design, Graphic Design, Craft and so on...

Depending on your seriousness of an Art Degree, Art School vs. a college with an Art department is very different. If you wanna do something like become an art teacher, then a school with an Art department is fine, but for something like majoring in art and wanting to say be part of the arts teams in movies or something, that's where you do art school.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:35:48 pm by kimiski »

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:57:24 pm »
I want to go to college but I'v got a full time job and no time or money for anything else.

If I had my pick I would go for a degree in Radiology.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:54:50 pm »
For nursing, PCC has a joint program with OHSU that lets you work on getting certified as a nurse as an undergrad rather than a grad program. I don't know too many details, but that could be something for you to look into.
Thanks! =D
KUMORICON 2017

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:37 am »
Thanks! =D
No problem. but try to look at other schools, too. Your interests might change a lot in the next couple years.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:52 am »
Community Colleges really are a great step

You get core classes out of the way for cheaper, added bonus for me is it also allows me to still live at home and save money for when I do move away to University.

Also, I got a couple extra years to figure out what exactly I want to major/minor in, in art. If I had gone right to University with an Art Program, I would have wasted a lot of money working towards something I no longer wanted

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 10:09:03 am »
I've been thinking about Seattle university, or University of Washington. I want to move  close to Seattle...But I also Kind of want to go to OSU so I'm not sure. I would like to go into fashion...maybe. So I would really like to go abroad to Japan and maybe France or Britain through the college I go to. My ultimate dream is to do fashion with hair styling on the side, or one of them after the other later on in life. but I don't know how realistic that is. Beauty school can get expensive, and I have no idea where to go for that.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
 It's a great way to save $5-$10 per year without compromising the quality of your education.

Thousand. In case anyone was confused.

This is my fourth year at PCC. Two years of GE, before switching to the vocational AMT program. I can't say I have a single complaint about PCC, while I've heard numerous complaints about PSU (tuition and financial aid complaints in particular). If you're paying for your own college, or wanting to be lighter on your parents' dime, community college is the way to go for your first two years. If not only to get your prereqs out of the way, then to discover what you really enjoy doing.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:01 pm »
It's a great way to save $5-$10 per year without compromising the quality of your education.

Right, that. XD
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

Right, that. XD

Ohhh, ok, i was like "$5-$10?? What?!" haha
KUMORICON 2017