Author Topic: Happy Hanukkah to all !!!  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Happy Hanukkah to all !!!
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:55 am »
I am not Jewish, but I would like to thank and honor those spiritual descendants of a successful uprising against Macedonean state forces, presenting a shining example of re-asserting the right to free practice of the religion of ones choice, without interference from the State.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Happy Hanukkah to all !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »
Thank you!
My cousins' Moshav is actually on   Macabee land, as authenticated by the Department of Antiquities,  and is an annual pilgrimage site for many Jews & Christians.
If anyone is interested, my cousin, a Chassidic Rabbi, has written about Chanukah from a mystical perspective, & I could email you some of his work off-list.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:55:14 pm »
Awesome.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 07:01:21 am »
Here's a joke I'm working on. What hairstyle do Jews wear in Jamaica this time of year? Dredl-locks!

Could that get any worse?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:29:49 am »
@Ellen - Thanks.  I found it on Yahoo!

@Jay - I kinda liked that...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »
Here's a joke I'm working on. What hairstyle do Jews wear in Jamaica this time of year? Dredl-locks!

Could that get any worse?
I dredyl to think how much worse Chanukah puns could get.
 They could get a latke worse.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »
^ lol

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:58 pm »
Be careful, there's Menorah where that came from.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:52 am »
^

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »
Hey, the whole event was a little Waco, after all...

(obscure, crass pun; unlike Janet Reno's assault on the Branch Davidians compound in Waco TX, the Maccebeans KICKED ASS against the State...)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »
^ Meh, that one was okay...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
Heh. There are some funny little Chanukah gimmicks out there. There are now dreydels that, instead of the traditional hand-painted wood, are plastic, and when you spin them, they play "The dreydel song". Oh, I heard folks back east just set a new Guinness Book record for the greatest # of folks spinning dreydels at the same time.

Ever wonder what that is that is written on the Jewish spinning top used at Chanukah?

There are 4 Hebrew letters painted on a dreydel. They are nun, gimmel, hay, and shin. This stands for "Nesh Gadol Haya Sham", i.e., "A great miracle happened there."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »
Yup!  It's a great game with a great story behind it; the dreidel is one of the main reasons why Hanukkah is my favorite Jewish holiday.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »
I loved it as a kid because so many of our holidays (e.g., Yom Ha-Shoah, Pesach, Tisha B'Av) are about dire tragedies & being the underdogs, & here's a chance to celebrate a victory.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »
Purim is like that, too.  (I once wrote a Purim play for my Synagogue, like 7 years ago, or so).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »
Purim is like that, too.  (I once wrote a Purim play for my Synagogue, like 7 years ago, or so).
Huhwha? I had no idea you are Jewish? Wow neato! Hag Sameach!
I would love to read your Purim play.
For folks who don't know, Purim is like our Halloween, in that kids dress up & get treats. It's a very festive celebration, though, and is about evading genocide through garnering the favor of a king.

One of my favorite childhood memories / relics is a photo of me and a couple kids in my nursery school in our Purim finery. I was dressed as Queen Esther, supposedly, but really, I was wearing my red Raggedy Ann nightgown. And my "crown" was an inside-out one from Burger King.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »
Huhwha? I had no idea you are Jewish? Wow neato! Hag Sameach!
I would love to read your Purim play.
For folks who don't know, Purim is like our Halloween, in that kids dress up & get treats. It's a very festive celebration, though, and is about evading genocide through garnering the favor of a king.

One of my favorite childhood memories / relics is a photo of me and a couple kids in my nursery school in our Purim finery. I was dressed as Queen Esther, supposedly, but really, I was wearing my red Raggedy Ann nightgown. And my "crown" was an inside-out one from Burger King.

Hag Sameach!

I'm not actually Jewish, but the church I go to is a Messianic synagogue, so I call it either that or a church; I try to keep it as a synagogue though when I'm thinking about it first.

As for the play, I think there's a copy of the script somewhere in one of our boxes... I'm not sure where, though...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:15 pm »
That's awesome. I love archives of childhood relics!
And neat, are you referring to what others call "Jews for Jesus"? Not all Jews count such churches or synagogues as Jewish, but I personally do; the same is true for other branches of Messianic Judiasm such as the Lubavitcher Chabadniks.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 04:57:30 pm »
I loved it as a kid because so many of our holidays (e.g., Yom Ha-Shoah, Pesach, Tisha B'Av) are about dire tragedies & being the underdogs, & here's a chance to celebrate a victory.

You kidding? "They tried to kill us, we won, let's eat!" Is pretty much the defining phrase of most Jewish holidays.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline ainekatt

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:57 pm »
Fun fact: the dreydels in Israel have different letters, because they stand for "A great miracle happened HERE".

@Charly THAT SONG. OH MY GOD THAT SONG.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:05:56 pm by ainekatt »

Currently working on: Toni Ipres - Hanna is Not a Boy's Name

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »
^ Yup!  (It was already mentioned on the last page, but the more people know, the better!)

That's awesome. I love archives of childhood relics!
And neat, are you referring to what others call "Jews for Jesus"? Not all Jews count such churches or synagogues as Jewish, but I personally do; the same is true for other branches of Messianic Judiasm such as the Lubavitcher Chabadniks.

Jews for Jesus is an organization that has lots of Messianics involved, but pretty much you're right.  It's also for (such as with my case) Christians who want to get more in touch with the Jewish heritage of Christianity.

You kidding? "They tried to kill us, we won, let's eat!" Is pretty much the defining phrase of most Jewish holidays.

I wouldn't say it quite like that, but many of them do have ties to feats of survival.  Sukkot, for example, began when the Hebrews were still wandering the desert towards the Promised Land.  Hanukkah is more about a miracle that happened after the Jews fought off the Greeks than it is about the war itself.  Yom Kippur is about atonement and repentance.  Rosh Hashanah = Jewish New Year.