Author Topic: Hunger Games  (Read 10612 times)

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
Hunger Games
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:39 pm »
I'm not sure if any of you know about it, but I genuinely hate it. With a passion.
I found dozens of similarities between it and my favorite movie/novel/manga Battle Royale.
I am able to say that I think it is a sincere knock-off, and not a very good one at that.
Any other opinions?

Save Caprica!!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
Re: Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »
Ummmm...Im guessing Hunger Games is a book, right?

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:03 pm »
Yes. For some reason, a lot of otaku are into it, and there is plenty of obnoxious pictures of it on deviantart. But it's also being adapted into a movie. My friends and I are planning to stand outside of the theater with protest signs.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Vexenification

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
Okay, first off, Hunger Games does have some simaliarties with Battle Royale, but you can't stand outside the movie theatre with protest signs; it's the same thing with Twilight. (Did I just say that? *shudder*)
Sure, some ideas are the same, some are different, and you can hate it all you want, it's not going to change anything.
And people have different tastes in books, movies, anime, and ice cream.
Fem!Eleven, Vexen, Animal Crossing
#Richard Brooks was Real

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:59:11 pm »
I agree with you.
But the problem is that there are definitely more than a few similarities. If you've read the BR manga and the hunger games, it gets pretty obvious that it's more than just coincedence.
And I was partly kidding about the movie, though I could totally do it if I wanted to XD

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:57:52 pm »
Okay, what are all the similarities? I haven't read Battle Royale because I generally don't read manga, but I've read Hunger Games and I actually enjoyed it a lot. Also I'd just like to point out that there is no such thing as an original story anymore-- every is stolen, copied, borrowed, et cetera. There are a lot of stories that, if you compared them, are really similar, even if on the surface they don't seem anything alike. It's a fact of life.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »
I do understand that all media will have similarities with other ones, but what I've found between them is striking.
And I respect that everyone will have opinions, different or not.
But I'm just saying that not only is the main plot idea the same, but there are even more details that are SUPER similar. For example, a male and a female character are the two protagonists, a player from an old game returns, in both of them there is major rebellion against the government, both are in some way televised, two characters both escape the games, and many more.

Save Caprica!!

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 09:08:51 pm »
I'd also like to point out how horrible it is that Stephen King would lend his review to the back of the book, though Battle Royale clearly makes references to The Running Man as inspiration.

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 09:28:22 pm »
Ehhh... Even then, those aren't huge things in common. Having male/female representation isn't exactly unheard of, and having a mentor (AKA, someone who'd been through the experience before) isn't unusual either. Rebellion against the government is a VERY popular theme in works from all different times in history, from all different countries and cultures.

Actually, Hunger Games reminded me a LOT of The Most Dangerous Game and 1984, with a touch of Wizard of Oz. If all three of those books, like, had a literary lovechild.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »
Okay, first off, Hunger Games does have some simaliarties with Battle Royale, but you can't stand outside the movie theatre with protest signs; it's the same thing with Twilight. (Did I just say that? *shudder*)
Technically, they can. But as one of my favorite sayings goes, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." If someone protests every single movie or book that's ripped off from someone else (including much more blatant copies than this one), they'll be very very busy. Imagine how many Lion King (Kimba the White Lion) musicals and Disney stores you'd have to picket, just for a start.

Sure, some ideas are the same, some are different, and you can hate it all you want, it's not going to change anything.
This. There are lots of things that you can change if you put a lot of effort into it, but this isn't one of them.

Ehhh... Even then, those aren't huge things in common. Having male/female representation isn't exactly unheard of, and having a mentor (AKA, someone who'd been through the experience before) isn't unusual either. Rebellion against the government is a VERY popular theme in works from all different times in history, from all different countries and cultures.
This too.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »
But what makes it so similar is that it's all of those as well as the central idea of young people being forced to kill each other are all there.
And maybe you should have just quoted her entire post, LOL.

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »
It's mostly just the concept of people being forced to kill each other; the fact of the matter is that sex sells, young people are sexier, therefore younger characters are chosen more frequently so that the reader/viewer cares more. There's also the symbolism that comes with young people being forced to die of something being killed in its prime, which resonates more than older people being killed who will have already lived much of their lives. For instance, in Hunger Games, the character Rue (spoilers ahead for anyone who hasn't read the books and wants to, obviously) is fairly brutally killed by a spear through the stomach, and she's twelve. This was pretty shocking to a lot of people, and understandably upsetting. However in Catching Fire (Hunger Games' sequel) the character Mags, who is an old woman (her age was never specified except in that she was old enough that another character carried her around, since she was so fragile) gave her life by walking into nerve gas to give her companions time to escape. Mags' death was not nearly as upsetting as Rue's. Why? Because Rue was a kid. And BECAUSE it was more upsetting, people cared more, which made them want to read more. That's just basic psychology that gets things sold.

tl;dr: I'd be a little more impressed if Hunger Games and Battle Royale had focused on senior citizens as the main characters. Youth is very popular, government rebellion is very popular, killing and death is very popular. So... I don't really see what the big deal is here.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:50:17 am »
As I've previously stated, it's because there is more than just the general concept that makes them so similar.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:00 am »
Yes. For some reason, a lot of otaku are into it, and there is plenty of obnoxious pictures of it on deviantart. But it's also being adapted into a movie. My friends and I are planning to stand outside of the theater with protest signs.

I felt the same way with Scott Pilgrim, to be honest.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:18 am »
There is definitely an excess of Scot Pilgrim stuff, LOL.
Though I actually really enjoyed the movie, mainly for the soundtrack.

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:32:40 pm »
Well then what is it that makes them so similar? I started reading BR last night just to see what it was like, and other than the central idea of a bunch of kids fighting each other to the death on TV, they were completely different. The way the tributes are chosen is different, the age ranges are different, and really the whole world itself is different. In Battle Royale it seemed like as long as you weren't chosen, your life was mostly unaffected and you could live a pretty normal, modern life. In Hunger Games your whole life is spent in poverty (depending on which District you live in-- Districts 1, 2 and arguably 4 are very rich and fashionable and consider being chosen for the Games to be an honor, with kids training their whole lives so that they can enter the Games and win and bring glory to their District; in many other Districts, primarily 8, 11, and 12, people are starving to death and being murdered by the Peacekeepers/police for anything even slightly against the law, like going into the woods surrounding the Districts to try and hunt for food to provide for your family, and the kids there are generally very thin and malnourished and not very able to defend themselves) and servitude to the Capitol, and the Hunger Games were made to remind people that the government controls all of them absolutely (there used to be 13 Districts, but 13 rebelled and was basically wiped off the map, which is what prompted the Games to begin). There's a drawing of names in each District for one girl and one boy, and your chances are different depending on how old you are, and whether or not you want to submit your name more times to get some rations of grain and oil to help your family (the kids in the poorer Districts are almost always doing this). Then, once you're chosen, you're brought to the Capitol and treated like a celebrity, getting makeovers and fabulous food and clothes and personal training to help you last longer. Then all of the Tributes are given interviews to make the populace love them and want to sponsor them (sponsors help Tributes last longer by sending them gifts while they're in the arena). From what I read of Battle Royale (which admittedly wasn't a whole lot comparitively, and definitely correct me if I'm wrong), I didn't see any of this.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »
Heres some things from your list that I did actually see in BR.
The main concept of the choosing in very much the same, sort of like a lottery.
There is a chapter in the novel that does explain that a lot of the Greater East Republic of Asia, (here's another similarity is that both the settings are the "remains" of what was once a greater country) is very poor and people are treated terribly, and laws are super strict.
Another thing is that the reason for The Hunger Games being played and the Battle Royale being played are both about the government reminding citizens that they are under their complete control, much like you pointed out.
And yes, the whole trainer and fabulous life is different from BR, but something similar is that there are profiles of each Battle Royale contestant and the public places bets on them.
So yes, there are many similarities and not-so-similarities between them. Someone who read and loved The Hunger Games is more likely to point out differences, while someone who didn't like the book so much would point out the similarities. I for one read The Hunger Games before Battle Royale and thought it was a really overrated book, and I really wasn't one for the writing style.
That's just my opinion and a lot of my friends at school as well.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »
There is definitely an excess of Scot Pilgrim stuff, LOL.
Though I actually really enjoyed the movie, mainly for the soundtrack.

I'm kind of surprised that you agree with me.  I feel better about my post now.  (I'd probably give the soundtrack a shot...).

As for the main topic, I don't think I've even heard of this Hunger Games.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
Hahaha. Well I think I'm going to get through more Battle Royale (because I'm like four chapters in but it's pretty cool so I think I'll read more) so I can make a better judgment. And I mean yeah, they are fairly similar, I don't want to try and argue that they're not-- just that they're not word-for-word the same or anything. And I feel like the things they have in common are fewer than the things that are different. That's all I wanted to say. Sorry if I came across as argumentative, I feel like I did :|

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »
Same here, hahaha. Sorry if I was argumentative.
I think the main difference is how much more violent and sexual BR is.
I realllllly had to flip a few pages in the manga during some scenes. Not pretty.
But in the novel and movie it's not as bad.

Save Caprica!!

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »
Duuuuuuuuude, tell me about it! Like, I'm enjoying it and I think it's pretty awesome, but oh snap. Dat violence. I kind of want to see the movie now... Just to see how much it's toned down. I'm guessing a lot. xD

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »
Yeah, pretty much a lot  :D

Save Caprica!!

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
And in BR some advantages ( as well as hunger games from the sound of ot) relatively depend on how affluent a family is. You will in essence not do as well coming from a rich family becaus te idea of thriving seems unheard of. What, survival? You mean that thing money does for me? Hunger games did this, just flipped affluence to be a positive edge in the "Games". Ps whoever mentioned the most dangerous game, your awesome. Read that in Cw a while ago. Lol.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:37:32 pm »
HUNGER GAMES SUCKS AND BATTLE ROYAL IS BETTER.

( I was payed by Cloud 9 to say that.)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 09:44:20 pm »
I do understand that all media will have similarities with other ones, but what I've found between them is striking.
But I'm just saying that not only is the main plot idea the same, but there are even more details that are SUPER similar. For example, a male and a female character are the two protagonists, a player from an old game returns, in both of them there is major rebellion against the government, both are in some way televised, two characters both escape the games, and many more.

Are we talking about Tron: Legacy?
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 10:17:10 pm »

Are we talking about Tron: Legacy?

laughingelfman.jpg

Out of curiosity, how does Battle Royale end? I finished the third book in the Hunger Games trilogy last night and I want to compare them... If no one minds spoilers, that is :x

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 03:36:35 pm »
Well, the movie ends with the two friends getting out of the game.
The second movie ends with the former BR contestants defeating the government.

Save Caprica!!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 06:36:23 pm »
Yup.  Sounds like Tron.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 08:32:12 pm »
Be aware that both of these books came out first XD

Save Caprica!!

Offline Fachion-pari

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 12:52:13 pm »
I actually really liked the Hunger Games. I felt that the third book was pretty anti-climatic, yes, but overall the series was good. By the way, I highly doubt that Suzane Collins read Battle Royale, if it is a manga. You can't exactly blame her for having similar ideas when she probably never read it and then continue to say she stole the ideas from Battle Royale.
To be honest, having to compare manga and anime to any books or movie you see out there just ruins the series, and makes you look like a weaboo for having to constantly compare the two. (Not saying this pertains to you but I thought I'd mention it.)
And to Washougal_Otaku, if you come into a thread talking about a totally different topic, then why bother posting if you're worried you'll be shot down? And if you know nothing about the main topic, seriously, why bother?
Kumoricon 2012!
Midori - Devil Survivor
Lal Mirch- Khr (possibly)
Masako - Mawaru Penguindrum

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:54 pm »
Yeah, Battle Royale was also one of the highest rated Japanese films of all time, and a Japanese best seller... so...

Save Caprica!!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »
before this thread I never heard of hunger games, didn't see it on wiki.  I love battle royal  the part about them playing blues brothers about made me cry.  I can't say with out seeing it if its like battle royal or not.  But if they do have similarities then people are always going to accuse it of being a rip off or continually compared.      Heck look at true blood and twilight,  True blood has been accused of copying aspects of twilight but the books true blood are based on were out long before the book twiligh was out.  Its going to come down to people defending whichever they happen to prefer.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 10:23:25 pm »
( Okay, I havent read much about this thread.)

My friend says Battle Royal is better and that the author of Hunger games copied BR. I haven't read the books though I put some common sense into my come back and say that

"Even though BR came first, I don't think BR was famous enough in America that the author of HG  actually copied the ideas from BR. Plus, hey, It's a foreign book."

Uhhhh....What do you guys think?

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »
Yeah, I do have to agree with the fact that yes, it is foreign.
But it is published in America, TWICE. Another thing is that even magazines like Rolling Stone and websites such as Variety are huge fans of it. More yet, it ranks as Quintin Tarenteno's favorite movie. Stephan King even reviewed it for EW so it is well known.

Save Caprica!!

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »
I haven't read Hunger Games and I haven't read BR despite knowing the plot of it, but here's my $0.02:

There is nothing wrong with taking an idea from another piece of fiction and twisting it. Ever read Hamlet? There's more adaptions of it than anything else that Shakespeare wrote, and it's a copy of a story that Grammaticus put in one of his books. Romeo and Juliet is the same. Shakespeare just expanded on the idea.

Hunger Games takes the idea of kids fighting each other and twists it. All sorts of books and stories do this- In fact, when I was trying to come up with an idea for a short story, my Creative Writing teacher advised me to do this. Does that mean that we should boycott all these different forms of media that "copy" off of each other and stand outside and protest? No, that's just silly. There's nothing wrong with taking an idea and making it your own by adding things.

It really just sounds like you're overreacting. =\
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »
Im with Miria on this one.

Also, THE AUTHOR OF BR IS MAKING A NEW BOOK CALLED

"WHY HUNGER GAMES COPIED BATTLE ROYALE"

(I was payed to say that again.)

Offline Su Lu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 06:38:35 pm »
Susan Collins, the author of hunger games, said that she got many of the ideas from the greek myth of Theseus. Have you considered that the creator of battle royal might of gotten their ideas from somewhere like that too? have you ever heard the saying good writers copy, excellent writers steal? Honestly I think you can't judge whether or not it was copied unless you've read both with an open in mind.
Kumoricon 2014!
I'm just hoping I can even make it this year...

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:31:27 pm »
Yeah, I do have to agree with the fact that yes, it is foreign.
But it is published in America, TWICE. Another thing is that even magazines like Rolling Stone and websites such as Variety are huge fans of it. More yet, it ranks as Quintin Tarenteno's favorite movie. Stephan King even reviewed it for EW so it is well known.

"Well-known" doesn't necessarily mean everyone's read it, though. Just because it's fairly popular doesn't mean Suzanne Collins has ever even heard of it.

And it's been said (with good reason) that every good idea has been done at least once already. I haven't read Battle Royale, but from what you've said, it has several fairly common themes/plot points similar to The Hunger Games. This doesn't mean HG is a ripoff of BR. It's entirely possible to come up with what you think is an original idea, only to find out later that it's been done before. When I was in middle school I started drawing a comic and I thought the main character's backstory was really original. Then I read Tarot Cafe and found out that the main character of that had exactly the same backstory.

Plus, a lot of the 'specific' plot points you mention are actually pretty common - having a male and female protagonist, rebellion against the government, even the kind of tournament-style games.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »
I saw the Battle Royal movie a while ago. I liked it, it was really cool. Watching that movie makes me think that no way another book/movie with the same basis/ or similarities/ etc.. can be better.

But then again, there is endless possibilities. I look forward to seeing the Hunger Games movie. ^_^

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »
The movie is the love of my life.
Are you going to Sakura-Con, Nik?

Save Caprica!!