Author Topic: Hide a Birthmark?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Hide a Birthmark?
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:50:56 am »
So... I found a few odd threads about this on cosplay.com and none really answered my question..

I have a large brown birthmark on my upper calf - Like 3"x1". Maybe 4"... And it's solid.

My question is not just how to cover it- since normally I opt for boots or pants to cover it... But this costume will have mid-calf or knee high socks... Not sure which yet that will be white. So I'm guessing if I were to put foundation and powder on my leg and then ease a sock over it, as I walk and move throughout the day, the makeup will inevitably wear off (be rubbed off). And dirty the sock. I don't care so much about the sock, as the mark.

Would this be a mark that'd be okay to not cover, even though it is so large? I'd rather cover it.

But my thought right after the make-up coming off was some kind of acrylic paint that I've mixed the color to match my skintone. Since that won't rub off as easily, but because skin flexes, it probably would split/chip...

Please ignore the odd angle... I was balancing on one leg with my right leg up on the bed.. xD;
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Hide a Birthmark?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »
Get some panty hose to wear under the costume. That should help mask it and on top of that it will even out skin tone. If you are anything like me I have splotchy skin on my legs.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:36:06 pm »
^ Good point.

^^ Just my two cents, but I genuinely can't imagine someone having a issue with it.

It's really not noticeable... but even if someone does notice, why should one small patch of skin with a slightly different shade make a difference? Most of us aren't even close to the same ethnicity as the characters we cosplay, after all. (^_^) (And I'll fight anyone who says Chris Vance (aka Big Chris) isn't the best Gai-sensei ever, despite looking very little like him physically.)

What matters most is whether you can have fun with it. People will notice that, and the care you put into the costume, a lot more than they'll ever notice a birthmark.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:37:08 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:33 pm »
Well, it's up to you if you want to cover/hide it.

You could always try some makeup concealer and foundation, then some coverup that matches your skintone?
Just a thought.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »
If you do use makeup to hide it, you can use makeup sealant to keep the makeup from rubbing off. Everyone I've talked to says Ben Nye's Final Seal will pretty much lacquer the makeup down where you spray it, and it's pretty easy to find.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »
I second Nikkiolie's pantyhose idea, I have a huge red birthmark on my left calf that is impossible to cover with makeup, but I can usually make it look less noticeable when I wear some flesh-toned tights.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
I have a similar problem, but with a mark in a different spot. I have a birthmark on my neck that extends down a bit. Now, this normally isn't a problem with cosplay, but I want to make a Yuna FFX outfit someday, and this year I'm cosplay two characters with very short hair, and I don't know how to cover the thing up. Here's a pic:

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/169/6/2/sleepytime_fantasy_by_ChelseaHavoc.jpg

Could anyone help me out? It looks light in the pic, but that was due to lighting; it's actually a bruise/burn-like purple/red. =.=
KumoriCon 2012

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:00:04 pm »
Oh dude we have the same kind of birthmark! People always ask if I was burned in a fire or something.

For your neck I'd say you can probably use makeup to cover it. Thick foundation and lots of powder!
However, I think that because it's on your neck it isn't a big deal and people probably won't notice.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »
Yeah, they probably won't, but I'm mostly worried about Seychelles: It's very visible when I wear her. Thanks though; I need to get foundation and stuff for cosplay anyway, I'll just make sure to get a lot.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:12:36 am »
I would think concealer that's green tinted, then some foundation and powder and make up stay stuff should work for that one. I don't think it'll be rubbed on as much by the neck piece for Yuna's top.

I wouldn't mind the nude pantyhose but I just think it'd look funny in shorts + pantyhose + the socks oO; I should try it though. Get my hands on some cheap nude translucent pantyhose...

Does anyone know if that bra sticky stuff, I found some at Joanns, it's like tape for the skin and fabric... if that'd work to hold up a thin sock around that leg so I don't have to keep pulling it up as I walk?
Kumori'15

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:45:16 am »

I wouldn't mind the nude pantyhose but I just think it'd look funny in shorts + pantyhose + the socks oO;

It works really well btw

Im wearing pantyhose with socks and shorts in this photo :D

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
o.o Wow I'm impressed.
Though if you don't mind my pick-at, there's a dark spot above one of your knees. I didn't catch it at first, so that does mean the pantyhose does help. And I'm guessing that mark's darker than mine..

I'll have to head to Target or Freddies and take a look at their panyhose area to see if I can find something in my skintone. Any tips on what color titles to look for, since you can't try the dang things on or even pull a bit out to test @.@
Kumori'15

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 12:59:12 pm »
I would think concealer that's green tinted, then some foundation and powder and make up stay stuff should work for that one. I don't think it'll be rubbed on as much by the neck piece for Yuna's top.

I wouldn't mind the nude pantyhose but I just think it'd look funny in shorts + pantyhose + the socks oO; I should try it though. Get my hands on some cheap nude translucent pantyhose...

Does anyone know if that bra sticky stuff, I found some at Joanns, it's like tape for the skin and fabric... if that'd work to hold up a thin sock around that leg so I don't have to keep pulling it up as I walk?
They don't look weird at all. Actually a lot of cosplayers strongly recommend it because it evens out your skin tone and gives off an airbrush appearance.

I used the tannest ones I can find to give the appearance that I have tan legs for Taokaka and they works fantastic.

I am wearing them here and it doesn't look like I am. My legs don't appear to be really tan but if I wasn't wearing them they would be so white. PLUS they also help keep your legs a little warmer than without.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
In general if it's a dark birthmark a person could use tattoo coverage make up to cover it up (can be found at any tattoo shop I'm pretty sure). http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/tattoolist.htm

Or just heavy stage make up with sealant.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.