Author Topic: Not sleeping  (Read 3292 times)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Not sleeping
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:56:28 am »
I think I have officially gotten the least amount of sleep this week that I have in my entire life. I think I've slept a total of 11 hours in the past 5 days and I'm starting to FREAK OUT HARD AND STFF.
How long have you stayed up straight? Or gone with very little amounts of sleep?
Lets have a discussion on not sleeping and what you do to stay up.

This thread is what is going to keep me going for the next 6 hours, so talk and stuff. If some of this didn't make sense I apologize in advanced.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Not sleeping
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:24 am »
I don't think I've made any long stretches of sleeplessness lately, but I have been averaging about 3 hours of sleep a night this week. Terrible quality of sleep + few hours = an exhausted me. I'm always tired, but never really sleeping. But, that's the life of a sleep apnea'd insomniac.

Are you staying up due to school work?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 07:32:22 am »
Ah sleep problems, don't they just bite?

When in high school we moved to Ontario oregon  I developed really bad tmj.  It was a slightly higher evelation.  I would wake up with the worst head aches and I would read to get away from the pain.  I would end up staying home from school the next day.  It really didn't get better till we moved back to portland and I got me some flexeril muscel relaxers which are a life saver when my jaw locks up.

In my last year of collage I started not sleeping,yet I was too exhausted to do anything constuctive besides lay in bed and try to sleep.  I remeber trying to take a test and having double vision.  I honestly don't remeber how that one wrapped up.

Right now I seem to have lost my ability to sleep past 6am, but I know why this time. Partly because I need to get up early once a week for work, my body doesn't seem to realize it CAN sleep in other days. It does make it hard for the days I work from 7 am to 10 pm. once it gets to be 9:30pm I start nodding off.  
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:15:02 am »
I don't think I've made any long stretches of sleeplessness lately, but I have been averaging about 3 hours of sleep a night this week. Terrible quality of sleep + few hours = an exhausted me. I'm always tired, but never really sleeping. But, that's the life of a sleep apnea'd insomniac.

Are you staying up due to school work?

Ffffff- that's intense man, I commend your ability to still function.

And yeah, I've got a lot to do in such a short amount of time I can't afford to sleep, hahaha.

Ah sleep problems, don't they just bite?

When in high school we moved to Ontario oregon  I developed really bad tmj.  It was a slightly higher evelation.  I would wake up with the worst head aches and I would read to get away from the pain.  I would end up staying home from school the next day.  It really didn't get better till we moved back to portland and I got me some flexeril muscel relaxers which are a life saver when my jaw locks up.

In my last year of collage I started not sleeping,yet I was too exhausted to do anything constuctive besides lay in bed and try to sleep.  I remeber trying to take a test and having double vision.  I honestly don't remeber how that one wrapped up.

Right now I seem to have lost my ability to sleep past 6am, but I know why this time. Partly because I need to get up early once a week for work, my body doesn't seem to realize it CAN sleep in other days. It does make it hard for the days I work from 7 am to 10 pm. once it gets to be 9:30pm I start nodding off.  

Dang on the headaches D: I get super bad migraines but only when I stress out real bad. Getting them every morning would be terrible. Good thing you got some pills for that and got better!

And my body does the "can't sleep past a certain time" thing too but it's 10 am for me. About the only times I can sleep past that time is if I'm super worn out from doing something extremely active the previous day. Do you take naps at all during the day? When I can usually taking power naps make me feel a whole lot better and I can stay up longer without nodding off.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:16:29 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:47 am »
On my days off some times I get up for a couple of hours and then go back to sleep for an hour or so.  I am hesitant to take a mid-day nap because I am afraid I would get used to it, its happened before at work where its like *nappy nappy ...zz....* problem with the long work days.

I still think 38 hours in 3 days is nuts.  Looks like I wont have that problem as they are cutting staff and while I would have the option for the new shift, 8 hours to sleep at work between two 16 and one 8 hour shifts and not get paid for it, as well as having no off time for 3 days, laid off here I come.

I just was thinking tho I wonder if my not sleeping in has anything to do with caffine.  About 3 weeks ago I stopped drinking caffinated pop, well most pop really. Only exception is about 1-3 cans a week of sprite or gingerale which is for upset stomach.  Could be why I can't stay up past 10 with out its help.  Maybe I just need more time for the caffine build up to get out of my system.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:12:01 pm »
Luckily for me, the nature of my work makes it so if my mind doesn't want to sleep, my body will anyway.

I can remember in the slothy times of high school, as I lay in bed, realizing that for the past 20 minutes, I had not shut my eyes - not even to blink.

Anything that wears you out physically will make you sleep better, in my experience.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:24:17 pm »
I think I have officially gotten the least amount of sleep this week that I have in my entire life. I think I've slept a total of 11 hours in the past 5 days and I'm starting to FREAK OUT HARD AND STFF.
Me too. Weeeeeee!
How long have you stayed up straight? Or gone with very little amounts of sleep?
The longest I've been up during a week is 132 hours(first job). The longest consecutive uptime I've had is 76 hours(high school). The longest time I have ever slept in a day is 18 hours(middle school).

Right now I'm tipping 90 hours and finally slowing down because that's what my week is like. It starts hard and stays that way for 3 straight days then gives me peace for the rest of the week. I'm wearing mediocre protective gear, needlessly wearing myself out with bad footwear and then flash healing across 3 hours each morning just to get up and go again. I've been needlessly putting myself through hell and 6 of my bosses seem worried about me despite nothing going wrong. I guess I just have a higher tolerance for pain. They wonder how I'm able to do so much when I'm obviously uncomfortable. I should probably start taking better care of myself at this point.
I still think 38 hours in 3 days is nuts.
DO want! <3
I wonder if my not sleeping in has anything to do with caffine.
Obviously not or you'd know how to spell it. Some people reach the point where they memorize the molecular structure and worship it because that's all that keeps them going. Caffeine got me through testing phases so much faster and accurate than everyone else during school but it's to be treated as a supplement, not a cure. Also, Sprite doesn't have caffeine. That's why it's called Sprite. Amp, Bawls, dnL and Jolt(2X) have it but I'm rarely on enough of those to notice a significant difference in my abilities. More than anything, solid food seems to determine the outcome and my recent diet has been proof of this.

I start the day with a simple cola and a chicken sandwich(yay high blood pressure!). Then I'll overdose on B, move to half a protein bar and continue to slam myself with a high ratio of calories from solid food and very little liquid sugar the rest of the night. You might want to try this strategy if you're very physical and like me, have the constitution of an iron wall but still in constant need of energy. The protein will make you pee neon yellow like you just turned into a nuclear plant and you'll run perfectly fine on just 4 hours of sleep but you'll feel better, be a LOT more focused and won't waste so much time worrying about everything.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:00 pm »
Quote from: DaemonForce link=topic=14958.msg692792#msg692792 date=1299795857
DO want! <3
[quote author=superjaz link=topic=14958.msg692768#msg692768 date=1299779867
I wonder if my not sleeping in has anything to do with caffine.
Obviously not or you'd know how to spell it.
[/quote]

You can have it. I said I think its nuts.

Yes I misspelled a word. I have been known to do that sometimes.  Although I don’t see how misspelling a word can change how a stimulant affects me?  If you want to make fun of me go right ahead.  It seems like you're mad at me about something, if so that’s what PMs are for.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »
You can have it. I said I think its nuts.
Yes. Yes it is. :)
Yes I misspelled a word. I have been known to do that sometimes.  Although I don’t see how misspelling a word can change how a stimulant affects me?  If you want to make fun of me go right ahead.  It seems like you're mad at me about something, if so that’s what PMs are for.

I was being silly. :/

<3?
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »
I get about 6.5-6 hours of sleep a night.

About a year and a half ago I was sleeping <4 hours a night. I'd suggest melatonin. My stepfather has chronic insomnia that's even worse than mine and he swears it's possible to force yourself to sleep; it's just hard to. I've tried, and it didn't work, but there were also other factors in play there that time.

I still have insomnia and sometimes melatonin just doesn't work, but most of the time I fall asleep within half an hour now.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
@DaemonForce
Peace.

when do you get those hours?  Last time I talked to my doctor about it, she said the sleep people get before midnight is really good for you.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »
I'm just a natural night owl. They've done studies that those born at certain times just are more awake that time. Curse my mom for having me at 4:11am >>; lol!

But nah. I love sleep. I get like 10-14 hours when I do sleep. It's weird if I get like 6. Just depends on how much I need. After that I could be up for a full day to just 10 hours *shrugs* If I'm doing something that has my mind active then I'm awake for a long time. Writing, reading, drawing, coloring, sewing, video games... Or watching an anime I haven't seen in a while or haven't ever seen- that'll keep me up usually until I finish it.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »
@DaemonForce
Peace.

when do you get those hours?  Last time I talked to my doctor about it, she said the sleep people get before midnight is really good for you.
~11:30-6. I go to bed at 11, but it takes some time for me to fall asleep. And oh god, really? On weekends I rarely go to bed before 12.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Time of day is pretty arbitrary when it comes to sleep quality.  Noise, light, and other sensory disturbances are all detrimental to sleep quality, so trying to sleep in a loud or bright environment is going to be less productive than in a dark, quiet environment, but that doesn't mean that the sleep you get from 11-12 is going to be any better or worse than what you get from 12-1.  What's far more important is that you sleep when you're tired and wake up consistently at the same time each day.  Having a sporadic sleep schedule has been shown to cause people to develop insomnia and less frequently narcolepsy and other sleep disorders.

Anyway, my stats:
longest without sleep: 138 hours (spring break 5 years ago; I just sat up browsin' the 'net and playing Diablo II for literally five and a half days straight)
least sleep I've gotten over the course of a full week: 13 hours
sleep I need to function: 4 hours
sleep I need to be happy: 10 hours
longest time spent sleeping (without waking up): 34.5 hours

For a while I actually switched to a 48-hour sleep schedule.  Might start doing that again.  34 hours awake, then 14 hours asleep.  You spend less time sleeping than with a 24-hour sleep schedule (sleeping 8 hours) but wake up feeling relaxed and refreshed and it's a great way to deal with insomnia.  Only downside: finding 14 consecutive hours when your roommates aren't being too loud for you to actually get any sleep. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>