Author Topic: Front Page of the Oregonian!  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
Front Page of the Oregonian!
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:48 pm »
Kind of late in the day now, but this was pretty amazing: The Slants made the front page of the Oregonian today, with international headlines and everything...here's the story if you want to read it: http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2011/03/portland_band_the_slants_and_t.html

Anyways, for those of who you have been following our story and telling people about it - thank you. Been catching the attention of some pretty major news sources and the story is spreading like wildfire!

For those of you who don't know: my band (The Slants) is fighting the US Trademark Office over the right to protect our name.

<3

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Front Page of the Oregonian!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »
Well, if N.W.A can get a trademark, it should be possible for you guys.  Please keep us posted on any more developments.  We believe in you guys!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »
Why won't they let you protect your name? ): That's lame.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:51:08 pm »
^ It's because the terms is "racially degrading" even though they're members of said race and the race in question seems to be okay with it, thus far...

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:29:08 pm »
It's called robbing everyone of a personal identity in this world. Don't worry, it'll happen to you too.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »
^ It's because the terms is "racially degrading" even though they're members of said race and the race in question seems to be okay with it, thus far...
When teachers (y'know, government workers) actually do anything about little kids using said degrading terms, I'd say the USTO can complain. Or have they stepped it up since I've been in elementary school?

Well, good luck Simon!
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:22:01 am »
I cannot comment without something going wrong.

So let's just say, I support the Slants, and that they can call themselves whatever they wish. As long as I can say the word too.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:11 am »
I support the Slants, and that they can call themselves whatever they wish. As long as I can say the word too.
This is perhaps the best that can be said.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
I support the Slants, and that they can call themselves whatever they wish. As long as I can say the word too.

Agreed!

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »

Agreed!

Of course - thank you so much for your support!

Word can and do change meaning over time. We wanted our name to be a rallying point to inject pride into this word and we're not alone - There's a major Asian film festival called "Slant," a TV show about Asian American culture called Slant-TV, and numerous other examples. I think it's great that there are positive associations with it and that it encourages discussion about racial identity and culture.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »
I'm of the belief that the best way to respond to derogatory, hateful comments is to do exactly what The Slants are doing: reclaim the terminology with pride.  A term's only hurtful and demeaning if you let it degrade you.  The USPTO needs to get over themselves and start listening to CREDIBLE sources...not urban dictionary and wikipedia.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:52:09 pm »
I bet those twits at the USPTO have hyphenated names. Can't decide on who they really are, so no one else should be able to label their band.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:50:30 pm »
I'm of the belief that the best way to respond to derogatory, hateful comments is to do exactly what The Slants are doing: reclaim the terminology with pride.  A term's only hurtful and demeaning if you let it degrade you.  The USPTO needs to get over themselves and start listening to CREDIBLE sources...not urban dictionary and wikipedia.

Totally agree with you on this one. As we, the many Asian American community leaders, and all of the Asian American media have said: our name celebrates Asian identity, it does not disparage it. It's all about context.

People re-appropriate terms all the time. Just like many anime/fandom fans call themselves "geeks" in a lighthearted, positive manner. It isn't insulting, it's a proud statement.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:15 am »

Totally agree with you on this one. As we, the many Asian American community leaders, and all of the Asian American media have said: our name celebrates Asian identity, it does not disparage it. It's all about context.

People re-appropriate terms all the time. Just like many anime/fandom fans call themselves "geeks" in a lighthearted, positive manner. It isn't insulting, it's a proud statement.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:08 pm »
Just an update - so far, over 60 websites, newspapers, magazines, and radio shows have talked about this issue over the last few weeks. It's continuing to make headway!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »
Nationally?

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 03:57:54 pm »
Nationally?

Yep, all around the States. The band has now been featured on over 1500 radio stations, magazines, tv shows, websites, and newspapers worldwide.

What's interesting is that 99% of the time, these articles/features all talk about The Slants with Asian culture. The Trademark Office just doesn't seem to understand that part of the deal.

Offline Simon Young

• Chibi
    • The Slants
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:49 pm »
Also, we're doing a live interview on KBOO (kboo.fm) 90.7fm Portland or 100.7 FM Corvallis tomorrow morning from 8am-9am!

(Aslo being interviewed on Mark & Dave show today- 1190KEX) and on the APA Compass radio show this Friday.