Author Topic: To Max Line Users: Be Careful  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
To Max Line Users: Be Careful
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:18 am »
Just wanted to give a shout out to any Kumoricon goers who use the MAX- be careful.
I recently saw this new article online.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Man-stabbed-on-Eastside-MAX-train-platform-118715429.html

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
Re: To Max Line Users: Be Careful
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:35:42 am »
A little shocking and several things come to mind about this:

1. Portland is home to some real weirdos. My first visit there wasn't too bad during NYE but I did see a few people on the MAX that looked like they would have started something with me if I were dressed normal. Since I was dressed in war fatigues, people left me the hell alone.

2. There is still no such thing as security in this world. Deal with it. Every one of you is an opportunity waiting to happen. Either learn to avoid the problem or make yourself look like a very unfavorable target like I do.

3. I'm starting to see why some Portlanders are in costume when they take the train. It's weird and it makes people form a bubble away from weird looking cosplayers. It seems like a good idea but I know it has backfired for one girl and three guys really really badly. A change is necessary.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:39:51 am »
That's really scary. D: I don't live in Portland, but still, that's really scary. D:

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:49:44 am »
I'd be willing to bet $1000 it was gang-related.  Not the first time I've heard of assaults like this in that area.  Here's what I see: they picked up on the fact that he was carrying something worth taking, followed him long enough to get a clean shot at him, and took it, leaving him with a nasty but not life-threatening belly wound to let him know they were serious and that telling the police about it would be a very bad idea.  

The lesson to be learned here is that you shouldn't make it known that you're carrying anything worth more than $100 with you when you're in Gresham or Hollywood District alone at 1am.  People take the fact that Portland's a startlingly friendly city for granted.  They think they can waltz around alone at night with expensive gadgets and gizmos, and the gangs and tweakers will magically leave them alone.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:21:25 am »
Wait, those light rails run at 1AM? Wat? o_o

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:26:50 am »
This type of thing is why many Clark County residents DON'T want a MAX line coming into Vancouver.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:32:49 am »
The story said the police were called at 1pm. No the max lines do not run at 1am.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »
http://trimet.org/schedules/w/t1100_0.htm

yes they do; the last full-route max of the day hits Hollywood TC [which is probably where this happened] at 12:57am Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 1:49am Friday, 1:52am Saturday, and 11:54pm Sunday.  The only day that there isn't a full-route max at Hollywood TC around 1am is Sunday.  Even then, there is an abbreviated service there at 1:10am.

The max isn't the cause of the crime.  Gang activity in Gresham and Hollywood far predate the Max Line.  If anything it decreases crime by increasing commutership.  People don't commit crimes when other people are around.  Criminals don't like witnesses.  20 hours out of the day, there's enough people on the max anywhere on the max line that you're simply not going to get mugged because there are too many people around.  It's the other 4 hours you need to be careful.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »
People don't commit crimes when other people are around.
This is so wrong that it makes me want to find a new home in Portland. You have never met the kind of dumbasses that try and rob people blind regardless of it being in broad daylight, under a big vapor light or in a large crowd of people and I hope you never have to deal with that kind of noise. You make it pretty clear that Portland is home to a different breed of criminal than I'm used to seeing here in the twin cities and to me it's kind of like visiting England(they have proper crime there). ;)
20 hours out of the day, there's enough people on the max anywhere on the max line that you're simply not going to get mugged because there are too many people around.  It's the other 4 hours you need to be careful.
Still sounds like I have nothing to worry about no matter when I'm there. :/

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »
Portland's like Japan or China.  If you rob/mug someone in broad daylight, you'll probably get a bike thrown at you. ;)

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »
Eheheheheeh. In communist China, bike steals you... :)

If the world had more heroes that acted like this guy, I wouldn't be so hateful and bored all the time. That's enough. I'm getting my life back. Right now.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »
Was it from a street elf, with an 18" blade strapped to his back? I saw a couple of those one of the last times I was in P-town.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 11:25:12 am »
Portland's like Japan or China.  If you rob/mug someone in broad daylight, you'll probably get a bike thrown at you. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  I REMEMBER THAT!!!  THAT GUY DESERVES HIS OWN COMIC BOOK SERIES!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »
I live in Portland. Right on Division. I walk home from school. Nothing has ever happened. Stay safe and stay inside.. common sense will tell you to stay away from scary people.

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:20 am »
I live downtown, four blocks from the yellow/green line. I've lived downtown or nearby pretty much my whole life. I've honestly never felt in danger on any sort of public transit unless I leave downtown itself, but it seems like every time I do I'm automatically in creep central... And my friends don't understand why I hate suburbs. THAT'S WHERE THE CREEPERS CREEP, MAN. IT'S WHERE THEY STAY.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »
Yeah it's easier for us er for them to hide..

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »
Weird, my friend and I got lost over there only a few days before it happened and we both said that it would be a great place for someone to get stabbed.

Crazy stuff like that happens everywhere. I think that it just gets hyped up more because most of Portland's suburbs have a lower crime rate. I also agree with Tofu that it was some sort of gang action or at least the guy did something to anger/ intice the stabber.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »
They're just different creeps than you're used to :P

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »
They're just different creeps than you're used to :P
I've seen large groups of people that try to rob me in broad daylight. One succeeded but the other times ended badly for most of them. There has also been the random brave old man that threatens to kick my ass because he wants a dime. I've had stalkers of all kinds of levels and the most recent problem was just last week when a guy took a swing at me just because he didn't like the color of my shirt. Others have targeted me because of a book bag, MP3 player, shoes, food...You wouldn't believe the levels of stupid-crazy around here but you just made me realize that they are all indeed creepy.

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife...>.>'

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:45:12 pm »
Shut the Max line
Lock and Latch it
Here comes Lizzy with a brand new hatchet!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »
I take the MAX part of the way home every day, but I never feel nervous about it (unless there are hobos trying to talk to me, but that only happens rarely). I guess it's because I take one through the middle of downtown in the afternoon, so there usually aren't many suspicious characters about.

I'm usually more anxious on buses (I have to take a MAX from my school to a bus stop, and then a bus home, so I ride them regularly too). I've actually seen gang-fights break out on buses, with people punch the living daylights out of each other. The driver couldn't really do anything to stop it besides stop the bus, order everyone else off, and shout at them to stop. Scary stuff. :/