Author Topic: Automatic vs Manual Transmission?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Automatic vs Manual Transmission?
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:34 am »
Can someone who knows/has experience give me some information, more on Manual Transmission?

I had a bad experience with someone who drove Manual Transmission, and from then, plus knowing you have to multi-task a lot, makes me really hate and think Manual Transmission is unsafe. Now my boyfriend went out and got his first car, which is a Manual Transmission and I'm worried to death. I keep thinking of a scenario where he can't react fast enough to a car about to collide with him or something like a sharp turn because of all he has to mess with.

I've looked online for information but can't really find much but really bias opinions or instructional videos.

Anyone wanna try to reassure me? =/

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
Re: Automatic vs Manual Transmission?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »
Never driven a manual, but one of our cars is a manual transmission (and I actually want to learn to drive it, because it'd be a good skill to learn). It's perfectly safe, even if you're multitasking- Just don't be doing anything that would be unsafe while driving an automatic, like texting, eating, or using your phone without a hands-free device.

It's understandable to be worried, but keep in mind that people avoided collisions and safely took sharp turns before they invented automatic transmissions.

Here's an article on how to drive a manual. I hope this helped!
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
A manual transmission has nothing to do with THE BRAKES! lol

Just let him practice a lot before you get in the car with him.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »
Manual Transmission can be a lot more safe than Automatic Transmission for a couple reasons.  People drive a lot safer when they have to put more attention into driving, and manual transmission takes more attention.  Even the most simple brain is capable of handling several separate motor activities simultaneously.  If your boyfriend can play video games or ride a bicycle, he probably won't have any issue with the minute amount of multi-tasking that goes into operating a manual transmission vehicle.  The motions will quickly become second-nature; from the wikipedia article on manual transmission: "Learning to use the clutch efficiently requires the development of muscle memory and a level of coordination analogous to that required to learn a musical instrument or to play a sport."  That degree of coordination is not particularly difficult to accomplish, especially when practicing daily.  Automatic Transmission also gives you less control of your gearing and is less fuel efficient (if you're not putting in the energy to control something, the car is, and the car gets its energy from your wallet).  This can make it safer in hazardous road conditions such as rain, ice, and on winding, hilly roads.

The downside of manual transmission isn't that it's less safe; it just takes more work to operate.  That said, it still takes less work and attention to operate a manual transmission vehicle than to operate a basic 10-speed bicycle, where you have to physically propel yourself, change gears manually with no clutch (the clutch on a manual transmission allows the gears to be shifted with considerably less stress on the shifters, thus less effort for the operator and less strain on the vehicle), and you have to steer, signal, and brake manually while not enjoying the luxury of rear-view mirrors.  Automatic transmission is nice if there are a lot of stop signs or otherwise a lot of stop-and-go traffic during your typical commute and you don't want to have to do have to clutch, shift down, brake & stop, ease off clutch, accelerate, clutch, shift up, and release clutch every time you hit a stop sign.  It's not safer or more reliable than manual transmission, just more convenient. 
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »
And with manual transmissions, the cigarette lighter always pops ready when you need to shift into second gear. That really grinds my gears.

And now! At least Honda does this, makes it so you can't push start your car, even though it is a manual. That just really sucks when your battery is dead.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »
I hate manuals!  They are evil and for most uses, impractical!!!  Automatic is simple, not annoying, practical, easier to maintain, not as noisy, and nowhere near as EVIL!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »
Lololol, if he's new to driving manual, the only thing he has to worry about is ruining the clutch and the embarrassment of not being able to get it into 1st properly.

That aside, if the extra task of manually shifting is keeping him from avoiding collisions and making proper turns, I'm a say he shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Team Koga

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:06:18 pm »
Are you planning to move to San Francisco any time soon? OR the Portland West Hills? Bad choices for manual transmission rookies.

Or maybe we should merge this thread with the You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?

Have Fun

Jay

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:48:46 am »
Are you planning to move to San Francisco any time soon? OR the Portland West Hills? Bad choices for manual transmission rookies.

Or maybe we should merge this thread with the You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?
I see what you did there. :D
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »
I lol'd.

I love manual transmission.  Doesn't even bother me to drive around in Portland during rush hour traffic.  About the only nuisance is when I'm on a steep hell at a stop light / stop sign and someone is wayyyy too close to my rear end.  No matter how quick you are, when you release the brake and push on the gas you're going to drift back a little bit.  At least in my experience.

When I first started driving, I was scared to death of shifting into first gear on even the slightest incline.  Now it's no big whoop.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:11:43 pm »
I lol'd.

I love manual transmission.  Doesn't even bother me to drive around in Portland during rush hour traffic.  About the only nuisance is when I'm on a steep hell at a stop light / stop sign and someone is wayyyy too close to my rear end.  No matter how quick you are, when you release the brake and push on the gas you're going to drift back a little bit.  At least in my experience.

When I first started driving, I was scared to death of shifting into first gear on even the slightest incline.  Now it's no big whoop.

My hat's off to those who drive manual transmissions; I should but I'm a lazy bum. That, and/or you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  ;)

I can't imagine someone stopping close to your tail end on a steep incline... it only took a couple of times noticing people having that problem on mild inclines for me to realize the trouble they were having and learn to stay back. I don't like dealing with that even having an automatic, let alone if I didn't have a foot free to keep on the brake until I'm giving it enough gas that I won't roll back.

(I know you're not supposed to do that, but to me the risk of forgetting I'm using both feet for a few seconds is the lesser danger in that situation.)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:24 pm »
Don't you have to fiddle with the gears and clutch before you break though? So if he has to break suddenly because someone pulls out in front of him he's not going to have time ot shift down gently or whatever before breaking.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 07:14:09 pm »
Not to brake, no. Only if you're going from one range of speed to another.

If he's going 60mph, for example, and someone pulls out in front of him, he's not gonna be able to suddenly be able to come to a full stop in time even with an automatic, if that's what you mean.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:43:37 pm »
If you do not depress the clutch when braking, you may kill the engine. But engine braking also helps to slow the car. So don't worry about that. Just re-start the car after the emergency is over.

Wait until the advanced class where we talk about double clutching. Pretty much only racers use that anymore. Syncro-mesh made things so much easier than it was in my granpa's day.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 11:43:37 am »
I lol'd.

I love manual transmission.  Doesn't even bother me to drive around in Portland during rush hour traffic.  About the only nuisance is when I'm on a steep hell at a stop light / stop sign and someone is wayyyy too close to my rear end.  No matter how quick you are, when you release the brake and push on the gas you're going to drift back a little bit.  At least in my experience.

When I first started driving, I was scared to death of shifting into first gear on even the slightest incline.  Now it's no big whoop.

I learned on a 5-speed Porsche 914 2.0L in the 1970s.

The most important aspect of manuals is that (a) you can see a patch of ice or a hill ahead, and downshift ahead of time - an automatic cannot 'know' what's coming and cannot prepare for the new condition. It can only react once you have arrived at the new condition. Granted most modern computer-assisted automatics can be very good, especially in highly engineered cars like Mercedes - their 6- and 7-speed automatics do brilliantly and I get about 46mpg (diesel) in my used 2005.

(b) you can jump-start a vehicle with a dead battery, busted starter, etc. Just get a hill, coast down with the clutch disengaged and the tranny in 1 or 2, and when you have a good bunch of momentum, release the clutch. As long as your alternator is still good, the rolling wheels will turn over the engine and the alternator will ignite the spark plugs, and cough-cough-chuf-POW!-pop-pop VROOM your engine is running! It's a bumpy ride starting an engine this way but you can now drive home or drive to a garage and get you starter or battery fixed.

(c) All automatic transmissions allow at least a little slip between then engine and the wheels, even in overdrive. That slip wastes fuel, but in a manual you make a direct, mechanical, no-slack connection from the engine to the wheels. It gains you a couple extra mpgs on the highway.

To reppy's point about derp-a-zoids who pull right up to your bumper when you're on a hill stopped at a light, the trick is the two-feet-operate-three-pedals method:
1. Right foot is on fuel pedal, slightly above idle (watch your tach.) Maybe 1700 or 2000 depending on the car.
2. Left foot is turned out horizontal so your heel is on the brake (depressed enough to hold the car on the hill,) and you point your toe on the clutch pedal to keep the clutch disengaged.
3. Light turns yellow the other way, so un-point your toe and the clutch begins to engage. Your car will lurch forward a bit but it is being held back at by the brakes.
This is like the moment during a rocket launch that the rocket motor is ignited and generating thrust but still clamped down to the launch pad.
4. Green Light! Apply full throttle with the right foot, (you always floor it at the green light, right?) Twist your left heel off the brake and pull off your toe to engage the clutch fully. You will rocket into the intersection smartly and with an engine roar which (Boston driving) is good for intimidating pedestrians, bicycles and other retarded Steven-Hawking-mobiles in the crosswalks, and (Boston again) they will scatter like cockroaches before you.

YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY!! (Boston drivers don't share the road, we clear the road.)

Now if you REALLY want to have fun, try double-clutching an older tractor-trailer (thru the 1980s) - those trannys did NOT have synchronizing rings!
Jaybug (above) also seems to know about this. It's a b_tch to learn but actually really cool once you discover the knack.

Lastly, If you are cruzzin' along and a thimble-brained numb-nut [TM] cuts in front of you, disengage the clutch as you brake. Once you need to apply power again, check your speed, as you might have decelerated below the speed range of the current gear. Select a lower gear if you need, then release the clutch and build back to your original speed.
Optional: Flip the numb-nut a birdie as you blow his doors off. (I had a buddy back East who kept loose pennies in his center console and he'd huck a penny at the guy's window glass... Don't do this nowadays...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:49:40 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Juliannna

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:31 am »
Don't be worried, I used to feel the exact same way.  In January I was car hunting with my brothers and they insisted I get a stick shift because of the benefits of it.  I was worried about, like you, not being able to stop in time, accidentally accelerating and etc.  It's really nothing like that.  If someone DID need to slam on the breaks, they would just push the clutch then the break.  But this is such second nature it wouldn't require any more thought then slamming on the brake pedal alone in an automatic.  Even if you *didn't* push the clutch, slamming on the break pedal alone would kill the car  ;D

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:03:18 pm »
Easy solution: If you like driving, manual. If you don't like driving, auto.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 08:49:00 pm »
I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Don't need no phone at all
We've got a thing that's called Radar Love
We've got a wave in the air, Radar Love
The radio is playing some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
The road has got me hypnotized
And I'm speedin' into a new sunrise
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sents her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a light in the sky
(Instrumental break)
No more speed, I'm almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go
And the line of cars drove down real slow
And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee's comin' on strong
And the newsman sang his same song
Oh one more radar lover gone
When I get lonely and I'm sure I've had enough
She sents her comfort comin' in from above
We don't need no letter at all
We've got a light in the sky
Have Fun

Jay

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 06:17:53 pm »
If only I was THIS good.

Someday.. Someday...
Team Koga

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:42 pm »
I have been driving manual since the 80's.  I used to deliver newspapers on a motor route, constant stop and go, get in get out driving.  No biggie.  I personally believe that manual is a lot more fun.  When I drive an automatic I feel like I'm not doing anything, I also tend to get bored and sleepy on long drives.  I much prefer feeling like I am doing something.  Shifting up and down on windy coast roads can be exhilarating! I have all sorts of tricks I picked up driving a manual.  Engine braking is the most common.  Most people in an automatic don't bother shifting down to slow down.  It takes a lot of stress of of your brakes, and reduces your momentum.  Also most people in an automatic never bother using the low gear settings on a hill.  They just stick it in D and leave it there.  Really hard on the engine.  Think of someone who only rides their 10 speed bike in 10th gear trying to climb a steep hill.  Also, can you "burn rubber" in an automatic?  Accelerating so fast it pushes you into the seat, is one of the joys of having a manual in a sports car.

Basics of driving a manual:
1. Your left foot controls the clutch.
2. Your right foot controls either the gas or the brake (you don't want to be doing both at the same time).
3. When stopped on an incline you find the "sweet spot" where the clutch is engaged just enough to keep the car in position, but not enough to move forward, and the gas is depressed enough to keep the car from stalling.  I recommend practicing on a hill in a residential area with little or no traffic.
4. Memorize the shift pattern (it is different for some foreign cars like VW's), and practice shifting without looking down.  After an hour of constantly shifting gears, you will not even have to think about it.  Sort of like the buttons on game controllers.
5. When parking the car, leave it in gear.  I use 1st gear when parked facing uphill and reverse when parked on the flat or facing downhill.  If your car brakes give out your car won't roll.  Also makes it a pain to tow away.  ;D
6. Shift down when going down a steep incline and use the engine to brake the car. (Also a good idea if your brakes fail, along with turning off the ignition).
7. Shift down when going up a steep incline.  It puts less stress on the engine, and allows you to accelerate uphill.
8. When passing shift down and "PUNCH IT".  You will barrel past the car in front of you.  This is also a good practice for passing lanes.  You can do 65 in 3rd gear, it isn't very fuel efficient, but boy do you accelerate quickly.

That is about it for the basics of driving a "stick".

Other driving tips:
1. See that lever on the left side of the steering wheel?  It is called a turn signal.  USE IT!
2. When tail lights of the car ahead of you go on, SLOW DOWN!
3. When driving on ice and snow in a front wheel drive vehicle (Just about all cars a re FWD) the emergency/parking brake is your friend.  The parking brake only stops the rear wheels.  When driving downhill and you realize that your back-end has started to drift to one side and the car is attempting to spin, pull the parking brake (keep the button pressed or handle turned) and push the gas.  It will straighten the car right away.

If I think of anything else I'll post it later.
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »
Look, if you seriously want to experience the joys of a manual transmission, go ride a motorcycle! Nothing else is like thread the twisties of mountain roads on one.
Have Fun

Jay