Author Topic: Midnight Premiers  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Midnight Premiers
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:45:39 pm »
What ones have you been to?
What do you enjoy about them?
Which ones do you plan to go to in the future?

Pretty much let's all talk about how awesome they are and how we wouldn't miss them for the world. ^^

If you hate MPs, don't attend them, or don't agree with what we do, please don't post.
This is a PRO-MP thread ONLY.
Please take MP bashing elsewhere.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Midnight Premiers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:57:29 am »
haha, fantastic!

I love midnight showings, but the movie has to be epic to warrant it. I haven't been to one lately, as the last two or three films I have gone to midnight showings of have not drawn much of a crowd. Some of my most memorable midnight premiers though have been The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring; Return of the King; Star Wars: Episodes II & III; 300; The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End; The Dark Knight; and Watchmen.

The common trait threading all of these events was the atmosphere. Each premier was alive with excitement and anticipation. From waiting in line to waiting in the theater through enjoying the movie, there was a pulse all through the night that just thrilled me. You can't be around so many passionate people and not be invigorated and excited. The comparison was made before and it's very fitting: midnight premiers are like mini-conventions. We all feel very strongly about these movies and when you got a ton of these passionate people together...it's like a powder keg of awesomeness and fandom.

The Lord of the Rings films, Star Wars, and The Dark Knight were probably the most memorable for me, as the draw for these movies was just monumental. Cosplay all over the theater, scene performances and re-enactments while waiting for the film to start. I'm pretty sure it was The Dark Knight (or maybe Watchmen) that I coincidentally ended up sitting about two rows in front of and behind a horde of Kumoriconsters (including Nikkiolie). This is what I mean. The people midnight showings attract make for such a party/family reunion/super awesome fun time...how could you not love this?

And of course staying up late builds the anticipation and just makes everything exponentially more exciting/lovely/fantastic. Kahlan made Watchmen cookies for the Watchmen premier, which we proceeded to share with a bunch of strangers, which is awesome! Where else do you get a chance to do this?

Midnight premiers are great. I love them, when the movie justifies it. Like I said, it needs to be epic, and the crowd has to be respectful (which fortunately with one exception they have been). Haven't been to a good midnight premier for a while, but I'd love to get back to a memorable one.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:08 am »
If it's a Marvel movie, I'll see it at midnight.
I'm most likely going to see Green Lantern at midnight, and of course Harry Potter 7 Part Deux.

The best part is always the crowd if you have a good one you'll have people cheering on the heroes, and mocking the terrible trailers, such as Sex in the City 2 before Iron Man 2, it's always an event going to one.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

If you hate MPs, don't attend them, or don't agree with what we do, please don't post.
This is a PRO-MP thread ONLY.
Please take MP bashing elsewhere.

HEY NOW! DON'T GET TESTY WITH ME YOUNG LADY!! Somehow I feel as though this comment was secretly meant for me. >.> I still love you though :P You know me sweetheart...I can't back down from this challenge you have set forth for me!

But to defend my "ANTI-MP" stance...I will share my logic for not going to them, even if it's a movie that I would just about die to see. 2 points to address here...

1) A good 99% of the time, they are always on a week night. Being as I wake up at 4am daily to get ready for work...that just isn't possible for me. I work 5 days a week & throughout most of the summer I work 6. Usually long hours too.

2) The rare occasion that a movie gets a MP on a weekend where I don't have to work the next day or I'm not too tired(you form a fairly regular sleep pattern working those kind of hours), I always talk myself out of it. Nothing upsets me more than paying $10+ dollars to wait in a long line to see a movie that I really want to see, only to barely enjoy the movie the way I should get to because there are so many loud & obnoxious people preventing me from doing so. I LOVE seeing movies in the theater...really, truly do...but the price inflation coupled with the very large chance that someone will ruin the movie for me makes me a rare attendee.

I have been to a ton of movies, plenty of premiers & a few midnight premiers. I would share my MP experiences with you guys but I honestly can't remember the few that I did attend as it has been some time now. There might come a day when I go to another one...but probably only for movies that I don't feel will garner too much popularity. My big issue is paying the rediculously inflated ticket prices to have people talk, scream, shout & make other non-movie friendly sounds. Those ads about silencing you cell phones that play before each movie...well they do no good if people are being just as loud, if not louder than a phone going off.

By all means though, keep enjoying all the MP's you guys can! It allows me to get feedback from my friends as to whether a movie is worth paying the ticket cost or not. If it was great even through all the rude noisy people, then it is worth me going on a quieter day to see it. Not to mention, it helps the movies sales out for people to do so & I am all for supporting a well made flick.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
Premiers have so much energy and good will of fans getting together is awesome.

Midnight ones tho, I tend to fall asleep at about 10 pm, so not something I do often
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids