Author Topic: Gun prop question. x__x  (Read 1993 times)

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:11:50 am »
I feel ridiculous for asking this simple question but does the con allow rubber gun props? I am cosplaying as Aya Brea and she, of course, wields a gun as her weapon. Due to me having no skills or experience of making a gun, I found this rubber gun on Ebay that I might purchase. It does not shoot anything at all and it is a gun replica. I know I have to go through the weapon peace bond with the staffs, but before I purchase it, will they allow me to bring it? This is what it looks like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rubber-Gun-Self-Defense-HapKiDo-Karate-Krav-Maga-/290582028930?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D982857475041628349#ht_500wt_922

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Gun prop question. x__x
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:19:18 am »
That should be fine. They mainly wont allow stuff that fires

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:22:31 am »
They are allowed but be warned that exact replicas are very dangerous, rubber or not.
If you have such a realistic weapon the tip MUST be orange which allows any enforcement officer to judge the situation.
Because the gun is so lifelike, you will have to be careful where you take it and if an officer feels the need, he may show his own fire arm until he feels safe.

I know this sounds silly but it is true and any exact replica weapon can be very dangerous, especially if it does not have safety colors that are easily seen.
Not too many years ago a boy was shot by an officer (at night) while playing laser tag with his friends in his neighborhood because the officer only saw a red dot pointed at his chest.

So again, while rubber weapons are allowed at con, you must be extremely careful in public (for photoshoots and walking around) when they are lifelike. And you must NEVER take them into a mall or any government area...fake, lifelike, or not. It's too dangerous.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »
Wow, never knew it was that scary. Of course I will leave the orange tip at all times and also let the staff check it as well. That kid was stupid for pointing the laser at the police. Plus I will be following the rules and will not be pointing at anyone.

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »
my friend brought a fake gun for her cosplay last year, and it got us kicked outta a lot of places. moral of this story; don't plan on going anywhere outside of the con with it. :)
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 06:31:19 pm »
Unless they post before you see this,
I recommend e-mailing your question and link to operations department, which yoji is under,
operations@kumoricon.org

That way if you need to make the tip more orange or something, you can do it ahead of time

I  think it should be fine, but you never know.  If nothing else they will put a zip tie some where on it aka peace bond, but they do that with any weapon-y thing, it mean you are aware of the weapons policy and agree to follow the rules.

here is more info
http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=44
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline OokamiYami

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:08:03 am »
Unless they post before you see this,
I recommend e-mailing your question and link to operations department, which yoji is under,
operations@kumoricon.org

That way if you need to make the tip more orange or something, you can do it ahead of time

I  think it should be fine, but you never know.  If nothing else they will put a zip tie some where on it aka peace bond, but they do that with any weapon-y thing, it mean you are aware of the weapons policy and agree to follow the rules.

here is more info
http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=44

Thank you so much for the email. I am definitely going to contact them first before purchasing this gun. :)