Author Topic: Genderbend Cosplays  (Read 19070 times)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
Genderbend Cosplays
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:33 am »
People rag on us, talk down to us, and even sometimes make us feel like crap.
But here we can all be together and enjoy our genderbends! ^^
Share how you came up with your outfit (if it changes) or why you changed the gender. Maybe get advice on how to GB a character you are looking into cosplaying.
Above all else...NO BASHING! I cannot express this enough!
If you don't like someone's genderbend, shut up and don't post. Keep it to yourself.

As for my genderbend, I do female Sasuke from Naruto Shippuden.
BEFORE you guys get all "ugh" about it, I don't change the outfit. I cosplay in his actual Shippuden outfit with a strapless black bra and longer hair.
I ripped my shoes last year so I need to remake those and I'm going to remake the pants and make them longer so I don't look as short.
I did this because I enjoy his character but my boobs are too big to cosplay as his guy form. I also cannot safely strap down my chest (I cannot even use a binder because I have poor breathing/air flow and any pressure on my chest decreases my air). Thus, I simply added boobs and longer hair so I could still cosplay him.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Re: Genderbend Cosplays
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:09:58 pm »
Be courteous to other users. Keep discussion friendly and civil, and keep discussion focused on the issue rather than the person. No personal attacks or speculating about another person's motives. Minimize discussion of off-forum personal disputes.
The forums are always free for anyone to post, regardless of opinion, as long as it's unquestionably* constructive. But we take a very dim view of someone coming to a thread just to bash or piss people off, and would appreciate a heads-up if that occurs.

* I.e. if you have any doubt about whether the mods would agree, then it's probably not.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:10 pm »
I find it strange people bash genderbending, I find really fun!

I want to cosplay a genderbent version of Travis from SHO, which is basically long hair and a skirt. My friend wants to join me as a genderbent version of Lisa from that game as well which will be lots of fun

Does anyone cosplay the male version of girls outside of the VOCALOID Genderbends?
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »
I don't look down on it at all I just have a problem a lot with it because usually people don't try hard with their gender bends and I want to see some good ones like the league of ex's, I want to see good ones, what I don't want to see is someone not binding and calling it a gender bend and not giving the gender bend any work at all.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:15 pm »
Seto Kaiba. Sakura-con 2010. I loved wearing it so much, even if the jacket was crap. But I always have plans for genderbent. Genderbent has always made me immensely happy for so many years.

I have some other plans in the future but they're mostly secret right now. >:3
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline electrodude102

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:19:59 am »
what is the difference between a cross-play and a gender-bend.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:13 am »
what is the difference between a cross-play and a gender-bend.
Crossplay is when you cosplay a character of the opposite gender. Genderbend is when you do a fem! or male! version of a character.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:57:27 am »
i wanna do- or make a team of gender bended black rock shooter characters!!

designs can be easy- since they're just basic clothings.

i also prolly wanna cosplay blaire in soul eater in his awesome gender bended version in the manga.
but i dont think i have the sexual appeal to cosplay him hahah

crossplay i dont mind doing too- was forced to crossplay 2 years ago and it wasnt that bad... other than the glaring eyes XDDD

@wrath- i wanna do a megurine luke cosplay one day... or a mikuo...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:58:58 am by zenneth »
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:08:59 pm »
Genderbend - (Female Sasuke) http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/251/3/e/ship_sasuke_naruto_and_sakura_by_camname21-d2ybe6i.jpg
Crossplay - (Man Chii) http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v338/30/46/501115882/n501115882_1782938_1980.jpg

Just a friendly reminder to keep this Genderbend and not crossplay since they are different things. ^^

Looking at that picture of me...I really need to redo that bottom half of her. DX I need to get my butt in gear.
And I need a better black base wig. I want to get one I can do some semi-spiking on for the ends to give it a more Sasuke feel.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »
I have decided to Genderbend Nicolas D. Wolfwood from Trigun.  So many of the kick A** characters that I love are male.  So why not cosplay Nichole D. Wolfwood?

Cause no matter what I still don't like binding the girls down.  Tried it at home and hated it.

It should be fun, I got my first wig that is black with long clip on ponytails gonna give it white ribbons for that holy look, black dress jacket, leggings with black skirt, and S***kicker boots.  Plus added to it the deadly red lipstick.

The Vash coat is so big and bulky that I don't need to bind.  Just get a good sports bra.   :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:40:29 pm by Drauska »

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »
i also prolly wanna cosplay blaire in soul eater in his awesome gender bended version in the manga.

crossplay i dont mind doing too- was forced to crossplay 2 years ago and it wasnt that bad... other than the glaring eyes XDDD

I love seeing people do vocaloid genderbents, it never happens enough(except with Mikuo)

Also Blair would be amazing!
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »

I love seeing people do vocaloid genderbents, it never happens enough(except with Mikuo)

Also Blair would be amazing!

I KNOW RIGHT~!!!
but his sexual appeal is just too high for me to reach so... boohoo for me
oh well, there's still the BRK
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Clearasabell

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 02:29:57 am »
I would LOVE to cosplay as a female Doctor Horrible. If I can manage to make that work, I'll be a happy camper and a half! I'd play it pretty close to the original, not much with the skimpy. But definitely a little more fitted and lady-shaped. And some manner of longer hair. I'm already blonde, so no need for a wig. Doesn't look like it would be too expensive, either. The more I think about it, the more likely it becomes. :D

Honestly I don't see what's so bad about genderbent cosplay... I'm a bit new to the whole cosplay scene, given, but it seems like a perfectly legitimate form of creativity. Hearing about people glaring and talking badly about it definitely isn't very encouraging.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:29 am »
I know for some people the reason for opposing crossplay is due to a certain religious belief or family upbringing.  As for gender bending, I honestly can't recall ever hearing anyone bashing the concept in general, only questioning the character choice.  Personally, I find gender bending to be creative at times, especially when you see characters that aren't often cosplayed in general, let alone bent.  A friend of mine & I were thinking about possibly doing a gender bender Ryoga & Ukyo (and no, neither one of us support this romantic pairing).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:23 am »
Just my two cents, but genderbent may be suffering from "guilt by association" more than it does from like or dislike on its own merits. There were a few years of "Sexy no Jutsu Nantoka" characters from Naruto, which might be why any genderbent will be (unfairly) viewed with suspicion. (There were definitely some SnJ's that were funny, well-done, and/or creative... but there were a lot of cases where it was just used as a license to wear something revealing in a vaguely-similar color scheme. Even some already-female characters, like Tenten or Sakura. =/) This trend migrated into "swimsuit versions" after a while, but the association may have stuck.

As to whether it's fair or unfair... consider how we're viewed as a whole by the "normal" world. For better or for worse, people tend to associate all cosplayers with the most flamboyant ones they've ever seen. Likewise, people tend to associate all anime and manga with the most notorious examples they've ever seen. IMO, it's not "fair" or "unfair"... it's just how people are.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 11:40:10 am »
gender bend cosplays are ok- so long as you put equal effort as pulling off a normal cosplay

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
For the rave, I'm doing a Genderbend Deidara x3

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »
When you say "genderbend" a lot of people assume you're gonna be taking a male character and stripping off as much clothing as possible. Which some people do, but they're missing out on all the fun.

Genderbending also makes for a great thought exercise. If you've got a character living in a contemporary American setting, for example, you can consider how their lives might be different if they'd been born as the opposite sex and/or gender, or what changes their personality might have to have for them to achieve the same things, then incorporate that into the clothes you wear and the poses/faces you make.

It sounds like a few of you have genderbent cosplays. Y'all should share.

To start us off, this is me and Jaqua as genderbent Hanna's Not A Boy's Name characters.

We kept the character's color schemes, clothing styles, and personality, but noodled them around so they'd look like women. We also changed their names, because why the hell not.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

oslapedo

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:38 pm »
hnnnnnng you guys look fabulous.

I was genderbend Kyle for Nikki's evil ex group, along with Dubaby, Jaqua, Cassie, Leena, Evan, and of course boogiepop herself. Kelsey sure gets around with those genderbends... ~

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »
i wanna do a male taokaka soon XD

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 01:50:59 am »
thank you bb.

I have so many passionate loves for your guys' genderbent Scoot Pilgrim stuff. I heard you guys are wearing them again at Akicon? frsrs this is like her third one that I know of
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »
I have never done a genderbend but I plan to do some, I don't see why it's so "wrong" I think its creative and fun! :D I want to do a genderbent couple of tuxedo mask and sailor moon! maybe kira and lacus from gundam seed :D
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:58 pm »
I was just coming here to post about the SP genderbends and I see O-Slap beat me to the punch.

I think genderbends are pretty cool, as long as you keep it in character and don't use it as an excuse to slut up a character.

@Malaria- We are, and we have genderbend Scott Ramona, Kim, Envy, Knives, Wallace, and possibly a Lynette and Stephan hahaha.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:29 pm »
I'm a fan of genderbend cosplays if they're done well. I remember there was a Kakashi genderbend on the Maid Squad last year and she was AMAZING.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:00:48 am by Tanuki19 »

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 11:59:11 pm »
I agree with all the people here who said that genderbending is fine as long as you put equal effort into it. I'm cosplaying as fem!Medic from TF2 this year, and I'm basing it on a few fanart redesigns - so I'm keeping a lot of the elements the same, but making it more feminine. I'm mostly basing it off this.

The main reason I'm doing fem version is that my friend wanted to cosplay as a Heavy but she didn't want to have to shave her head. :P But we're not just wearing the original costumes with boobs.

I can't help going HNNNG every time I see those genderbent Scott Pilgrim cosplay pictures, they're amazing.

Offline jianna

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 11:02:41 am »
I love a well done genderbend!  As has been said before, they do get a bad reputation for lots of lazy executions, but I think it can be done well.  I'll be doing a female version of Kaiji which is really almost exactly the same as regular Kaiji, just with girlier cut shirts and pants and slightly more ladylike hair, but only slightly because if it's too well styled and put together it won't look like Kaiji anymore.

I don't know much about TF2, SP (outside of watching the movie) or HinaBN but I like those designs!

Current Planned Cosplays: Stomp The Enemy, Chinchirorin Kaiji, Kyrie Ushiromiya, Lat Miku

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 10:18:10 pm »
I'm thinking about doing a genderbend Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) instead of just doing it normally, because it's easier.  The only problem is that the only designs I've seen for it just make the outerwear shorter and no other real changes.  If anyone has any advice for doing genderbending, I'd really apriciate it.
Original

Genderbent
Done:
Garterbelt (Panty & Stocking)
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline The L.Avator

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »
I also agree with putting in equal effort for genderbends as you would for regular cosplay, crossplays etc. :D
I myself am making a genderbend Germany from Hetalia. I'm doing my own design for genderbend. It just started one day when I was at the store and I saw a deep green coat and  though "this could be used for a genderbend germany" and i built my outfit from there.
I know there's the "Nyotalia" fem designs but in all honesty I was not fan of the Nyotalia stlye of germany and also the Nyotalia charactors were made to be different from their male counter parts personality and physically wise. So, I wanted to do a direct genderbend instead of Nyotalia. My outfit looks something like this fan art, I found this picture after I created my cosplay outfit for genderbend Germany. The differences being I added a hat and the ponytail is longer and thicker. Im using my own hair so i dont have to worry about a wig. Its all dont I'm jut waiting for the corss in the mail but it should be here very soon and maybe if you guys are interested I'll post a pic :D

Offline Tobias

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »
I'm thinking about doing a genderbend Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) instead of just doing it normally, because it's easier.  The only problem is that the only designs I've seen for it just make the outerwear shorter and no other real changes.  If anyone has any advice for doing genderbending, I'd really apriciate it.
Original

Genderbent

Lawl, so i decided that I'm going to attempt a fem!Demoman cosplay. I'm on the hunt for red leggings.
Done:
Garterbelt (Panty & Stocking)
Fem!Demoman (TF2)

2013:
Attack on titan uniform

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »
saw a stocking genderbent cosplay in the net-- chooo awechum~!