Author Topic: CHAIRS!!!!!!!  (Read 18690 times)

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
CHAIRS!!!!!!!
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »
OK, So we all loved the Chairs.  They gave all they had today, epic performance.  The Stage Ninja's have been replaced by the lovable Chair.  They even out-did the Table.  WAY TO GO CHAIR!  In tribute to the Chair I give you a safe and unbiased place to show your appriciation of the Chair.  So show us your favorites...Folding Chairs, Rocking Chairs, Recliners, Loungers, Lawn Chairs, Rolling Chairs, Stools, BeanBag Chairs, Booster Seats, High Chairs, Electric Chairs, Toilets, and any in between.

Remember folks this is all in good fun!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:26:57 pm by Drauska »

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
Re: CHAIRS!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:48:31 pm »
I'm sorry Kumoricon, but there are just some things I don't understand about you. Was this a thing from last year or something? Honestly I did not find it amusing.

It was ok the first two or three times, but seriously, after that I thought it was just rude and annoying. How would you like it if you worked hard on a skit, and people were cheering 'CHAIRS CHAIRS CHAIRS' while they were announcing winners. Or if people clapped louder for 'the chairs' than they did for you. C'mon, you can't deny that it isn't rude. Oh and not to mention, every single one of you was sitting in a chair.

I don't mean to be a downer/bad tempered/crabby lady, but....c'mon guys, let's just try to stay a little bit more classy, mature, and have just more respect in general. Please?

Edit: Ok, maybe I'm being too uptight because I am currently exhausted, but something about it today just irked me and I needed to get that out of my system
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:58:05 pm by Spontaneous »
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:47:41 am »
HAH!! I just knew that a thread would appear for the Chair as soon as it all started.

As for it being annoying, really? It was all in good fun~ It's always like that every year, some joke crops up and jokes happen during main events, especially the cosplay contest~ Honestly if I was preforming and someone clapped louder for chairs after me, I wouldn't be offended or anything cause I know the audience is just making a joke and having fun. What fun honestly would it be to go to the cosplay contest, all of us sit there being "mature" not shouting out, joking around, etc, but instead sit there like good little boys and girls quietly, watch, clap and move on??? Not much... Like going to a movie midnight premiere and just sitting there in silence. You go to premieres to shout out and have an event of sorts. And when it came down to it everyone was quiet and watched all the skits anyway. As soon as a skit started, everyone started quieting down and stopping the joking.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:35:15 am »
I'm sorry Kumoricon, but there are just some things I don't understand about you. Was this a thing from last year or something? Honestly I did not find it amusing.

It was ok the first two or three times, but seriously, after that I thought it was just rude and annoying. How would you like it if you worked hard on a skit, and people were cheering 'CHAIRS CHAIRS CHAIRS' while they were announcing winners. Or if people clapped louder for 'the chairs' than they did for you. C'mon, you can't deny that it isn't rude. Oh and not to mention, every single one of you was sitting in a chair.

I don't mean to be a downer/bad tempered/crabby lady, but....c'mon guys, let's just try to stay a little bit more classy, mature, and have just more respect in general. Please?

Edit: Ok, maybe I'm being too uptight because I am currently exhausted, but something about it today just irked me and I needed to get that out of my system

I agree, I got sick of the chair nonsense REALLY fast, all it did was slow down the show. Maybe my tastes are too ~~sophisticated~~ for this con or something?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
chair was fun, there were a few people who took it a bit too far and they we pretty rude. but for the most part it was just a fun new kumoricon meme. Chair will be a joke now and forever, and I, for one, welcome our new Chair overlords.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
Once Chair held a panel at Kumoricon and the room only had space for 75 people.
300 people found seats at that panel. Such is the power and the glory of Chair.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »
I just want to mention that this is a cosplay competition. Which means contest. Which means that you will be judged and criticized to prove who is best. This should be expected.

People cheering for the chair was in no way inappropriate- they can cheer and vote for the chair as much as they please.

Also....hammana hammana hammana

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
It was a tad rude when everybody interrupted people on stage speaking, by yelling about the chair...

Offline Catt

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »
The random Rave chair started today at closing ceremonies was WAAAAY out of line :I

Yeah. There was a chair on stage.

and omg you were also probably sitting in one and there were hundreds in the room. We got it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:32:55 pm by Catt »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:03 pm »
I still think it was perfectly fine and all in fun at the cosplay contest.... closing ceremonies started to annoy me however because a few people DID start to shout over when people on stage were trying to talk. Yes, make your jokes and shout out loud during pauses or after someone on stage says something, but then STOP and let people actually TALK.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:50 pm »
It was a tad rude when everybody interrupted people on stage speaking, by yelling about the chair...

And dangerous! Both from the person and the convention
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:04 pm »
I didn't get where it started from, so it was fairly entertaining at the end, but it was rather rude (But I can't argue that the typical screaming isn't, so it's just something to take how you want to.)

However, I personally want to see a chair with an umbrella as 2013 mascot.

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:22:36 pm »
It started when the people who prepared the "Neptune" skit put out the chair with the radio on it, but then the person who was going to come out for the skit didn't come out very quickly, so people started chanting "Chair" since it was sitting there on stage...well, with a radio on it.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:26 pm »
Don't blame Chair for the wickedness in the hearts of attendees.

Some people just can't handle being in the presence of such majesty.
Ever seen footage of a Beatles concert, or The Who?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »
So you're saying that the attendee's saw through the powerful stealth magic the chair employed, and they began to give it the glory it truly deserved?  That chair is a freaking boss.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:58:13 pm »
So you're saying that the attendee's saw through the powerful stealth magic the chair employed, and they began to give it the glory it truly deserved?  That chair is a freaking boss.

Exactly.

Anyone that was at closing ceremonies would understand. When I called for the Chair to give a speech did it not speak?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:56:27 pm »
It started when the people who prepared the "Neptune" skit put out the chair with the radio on it, but then the person who was going to come out for the skit didn't come out very quickly, so people started chanting "Chair" since it was sitting there on stage...well, with a radio on it.
Poor radio, it was shunned completely.

The chair thing was all right but it was a bit much when people were shouting at the start of several skits.
I did like the chair rave during intermission though.

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »

Exactly.

Anyone that was at closing ceremonies would understand. When I called for the Chair to give a speech did it not speak?

Quite a powerful chair.  I shall eagerly await to see if it returns in 2012.

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:29 am »
i love chair, i shouted for chair when appropriate, i also yelled at the little 15 year olds to "Let her talk!" when they wouldn't just shut up already.

but hey, we all have friends who take funny things and ruin them, but we still love them at the end of the day.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 12:27:18 am »
I once disowned my brother for taking a meme too far.

Not really.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 12:52:02 am »
I found the chair thing to be funny exactly one time. it can be a little funny if Beau Gentry gets up on stage and is the cooler "Chair") I don't think an inanimate object would run the con as well as he would but whatever not the point.) ANY joke gets old when you have 1200 people screaming it repeatedly like some kind of Nazi chants. Nobody gives a damn about some stupid chair I came to see closing ceremonies. I COMPLETELY understand that some jokes are going to be funnier to others then they are to me. i know i make my fair chair..i mean share of stupid jokes, but sometimes you guys should please apply your filters. some things need to be a TAD more serious(Like ceremonies and stuff) and somethings are okay to let the turkey baster go wild(Who's line is it anyways)
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 11:35:17 am »
(partial credit to Vallie for inspiring this)

I dreamed one night I walked along a beach with clean white sand
As I walked I took great comfort for Chair was in my hand
As I looked back I saw that the beach it was my life
Each footstep representing times of joy and times of strife

I saw the prints of my two feet and two lines from dragging Chair
In times of greatest hardship there were no drag marks there
Four holes set in the sand at each point where life was hard
Then a gap before the drag marks once again followed onward

I said to chair "Why did you simply stand there when I needed you the most?
I had to struggle on alone when you stood still as a post."
Chair replied in his mighty voice, with a slight sarcastic tone
"Listen man I did my part, you weren't ever alone.

The times when I planted all four legs were not me giving up,
Those were the times that you sat down, it was me holding you up!
You couldn't move past your hardships and need a small break,
So I let you rest then threw you at the problems you could take."

So next time life has got you down and everything's unfair
Just rest a bit, collect your thoughts, and have a seat in Chair.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:51 am »
Told my friend about the Chair thing from the Closing Ceremonies, and since she was from California, she had that "Wow, it's gone full circle" moment, raised an eyebrow, and then explained that it apparently started in Fanime when the Closing Ceremonies were really delayed and a chair was left on stage. People then began chanting and cheering for the chair. That's how it started, I guess. Tom's right. This happened way, way back. Chair's been around for a long, long time.

It just furthers my theory that cons are like Frozen time bubble sponges. Time freezes keeping memes there but also has the unique ability to absorb new memes. That's why Carmeldansen stopped hitting the big culture in '08 yet still pops up in '11 to as much enthusiasm as it ever did. Same with "The Game" except now it seemed a lot more people went "Seriously?"
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »
I quite enjoyed the Chair, but I only saw the cosplay contest part.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 01:50:10 pm »
Chair-Desu, cousin of Chair

Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
For Audience Choice in Cosplay contest, 732 people wrote "Chair" on their ballots.  So it "won".   I blame Zach for suggesting to people that they write Chair instead of the name of their fave skit.

We DID make an award for Chair since it won audience choice.

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
Runa, what got "2nd" (really first) for audience choice?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:33 pm »

The Final Fatasy Ball Z skit.
Which is awesome because the group met the day before and wrote the skit at con! That's how you do it!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:21 pm »

The Final Fatasy Ball Z skit.
Which is awesome because the group met the day before and wrote the skit at con! That's how you do it!

Good, that's who I voted for.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 12:05:49 am »
  I think I'm the only person who does not get this. I never heard about it until this thread.

It sounds like a stupid meme but hey, what do you expect from a group of people who play Marco polo while standing around? Or who STILL yell " I lost he game!"?
It seems people at conventions must always be yelling something inane and  childish.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:24 am »
It seems people at conventions must always be yelling something inane and  childish.

Well it's either yell stuff or complain about it. Not a tough choice really, I know which one is more fun!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Chromophobic

• Catgirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 12:15:57 am »
It seems that everyone has a different taste for the chair, which is great!

Me, I think the chair was awesome. Sure, there were some people who took it to far and interrupted things and became rude, but don't blame the chair for it's awesomeness!~
To me, the chair is just another good memory of Kumoricon. Makes more stories to tell to people who didn't go to the convention. And this convention is pretty family-friendly that's ment for having fun and being yourself. ^_^

Offline Hopeless Incubus

• Oni
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 01:00:22 am »
those who are complaing about the chair....im sorry but this is a CON....and an anime one at that. random humor is without question, and i thought it was hilarious, mostly because im staff and was severly sleep deprived, but still. if 2013 sees a chair for K-Con mascot, i can die laughing. and yes, there are other pro chair staff.

i nominate John Bressler and Chair for 2012 presidency!
THE RULE OF JIM.
if you do not know a persons name, or deem it not important, THE RULE OF JIM applies. it matters not gender....everyone and anyone at anytime may be called JIM.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 01:52:14 am »
I'm going to go on deviant art and commission 13 different Chair-tans and enter them all in the mascot contest!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 05:07:49 am »
 I think I'm the only person who does not get this. I never heard about it until this thread.

It sounds like a stupid meme but hey, what do you expect from a group of people who play Marco polo while standing around? Or who STILL yell " I lost he game!"?
It seems people at conventions must always be yelling something inane and  childish.

It's called... Having. Fun.

Sorry, but that's one of my favorite parts of con. Not panels. Not dances. It's the fun from the con attendee's themselves. We're dressed up like cartoon characters, how is that not already insane and childish? Might as well stay home and just catch some anime on the internet if you don't like the culture of cons.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:09:32 am by kimiski »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 10:05:52 am »
Sorry, but that's one of my favorite parts of con. Not panels. Not dances. It's the fun from the con attendee's themselves. We're dressed up like cartoon characters, how is that not already insane and childish? Might as well stay home and just catch some anime on the internet if you don't like the culture of cons.

Culture is such an appropriate word! It's infectious, but some people are still immune.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 10:42:27 am »
Have you all been taking seats to observe Chaturday?

http://lovelylisting.icanhascheezburger.com/?s=chair
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Zerozap

• Oni
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:38 am »

Wheelchair beats Chair. Just sayin'.
Lelouch: Code Geass. Nick: Left4Dead2. Dr. Horrible: Dr. Horrible's sing-along-blog.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:24 pm »

Wheelchair beats Chair. Just sayin'.

TRUFAX.

People fight all their life to escape Wheelchair and few succeed.
People get up and leave Chair all the time.

It beats Chair, but that's cause it's a bully.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Chandra Nalaar

• Sailor Scout
    • My Pictures
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »
So how many people are going to cosplay Chair in 2012?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:09 pm »
Honestly, I found the entire thing to be dull quickly, and somewhat offensive on a personal level.  Here's why:

1) I was one of the people who really wanted to see the skits judged by the audience, too.  What did they pick?  A piece of furniture!  I talked with the Cosplay Skit Coordinator about it and told her that I think the right should be stripped away.

2) My skit was the first one that involved a chair.  I admit, it was somewhat funny to hear the crowd cheering for the chair before my skit even started.  However, I can see others who busted their butts off coming up with something to entertain the crowd getting jipped by A PIECE OF FURNITURE!  Whether I won something or not, I didn't really care.  I mainly wanted to see the event have more submissions, and therefore, more entertainment.  Others were wanting to win, though.  I hope they're upset by this, not to the point to where they're not going to try again next year, but enough to where they'd feel like voicing their concern.

3) Who gets the award?  The chair isn't even alive!  Personally, I think that the #2 should have gotten the award, since furniture can't appreciate an award like this.  Since this isn't the case, then perhaps the Hilton should have received it, since they own the chair.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »
Chill Washy Chan. If you were paying attention you would know that the award actually went to Final Fantasyball Z.

They made a plaque for the Chair as a joke.

I think the audience should still have the right to vote because that's one more prize being awarded to a participant.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 09:10:54 pm »

It seems people at conventions must always be yelling something inane and  childish.

Nah, I don't like to sit and just watch anime. I like dressing up, doing photo shoots with friends and playing games.  But the things that are yelled all the time have nothing to do with anime/Japanese culture or ...anything at all. So I don't get it. it's just unnecessary noise to me.

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »
I'm going to go on deviant art and commission 13 different Chair-tans and enter them all in the mascot contest!
I'm trying to grasp... how you can make a Chair-tan...  I originally was just going for a chair with an umbrella... but now I'm going to have to think about how you can actually create a Chair-tan...

Nah, I don't like to sit and just watch anime. I like dressing up, doing photo shoots with friends and playing games.  But the things that are yelled all the time have nothing to do with anime/Japanese culture or ...anything at all. So I don't get it. it's just unnecessary noise to me.

I think comparatively you can at times even call speaking unnecessary noise, but it's how society interacts.  The "culture of cons" is social based, you can't really change it.  But surely you'd prefer to see a lively convention as opposed to a quiet crowd, where no one would express themselves, you know?  I'd think it'd be agreeable a lively crowd is better than a dead one.
Sorry if this drifted a bit too far off-topic.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »
I'm trying to grasp... how you can make a Chair-tan...  I originally was just going for a chair with an umbrella... but now I'm going to have to think about how you can actually create a Chair-tan...

I could draw you a picture of how it would work, words would make it sound even weirder.

However, just remember that anything can be a "tan".
Just like everything is susceptible to rule 34.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Okitaru

• Oni
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:28 am »
I could draw you a picture of how it would work, words would make it sound even weirder.

However, just remember that anything can be a "tan".
Just like everything is susceptible to rule 34.

I'm not overly familiar with "tan" but it usually needs something to denote what it is.  But I suppose it can be as small as a hairclip of said object at times even.  I suppose I can think up theories as to be more than the simple hairclip idea, but sure, I would like to see a picture of how it would work.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 01:22:42 am »
OK, I've sketched out a horrible draft with my embarrassing art skills. My original idea is even harder to draw than I thought, the second idea is easier to explain.

Chair tan has a poofy hat with a chair back on it, her black hair is tied in four long braids about two fingers wide that resemble legs.

The original idea I had was two chair legs hanging from the back of her waist so that if she sat down her lap would become the seat of a chair. This version would have two long black braids or ribbons along each side and a curved black hat with a flat front.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:16 am »

Nah, I don't like to sit and just watch anime. I like dressing up, doing photo shoots with friends and playing games.  But the things that are yelled all the time have nothing to do with anime/Japanese culture or ...anything at all. So I don't get it. it's just unnecessary noise to me.

Ok so we can't do anything unless it's related to anime then?

So...

no Thriller at the rave, no numa numa, no caramelldansen, no rave music in general... hmm.... Guess the Anime Hunters should be banned for playing Rock Paper Scissors at their panel...or the people on the piano singing disney songs... they should be banned too...  Seriously, what fun would a con be without the randomness and energy from the guests? I'd be bored out of my mind and if I went to a con where no one made their own fun I'd rather catch anime online. Yeah a few people took the joke too far, but by far the Chair made this con funny. Just like last year I remember waiting in line for an event and the Bowser cosplayer I think it was walked down the entire line shouting, "Caress the grenade for good luck!" and people had fun for no silly random reason, getting out of line real quick to touch his prop and get pictures with it. Another year when the line to something was super bad... this plate of weird looking gel type food was being passed down the line. People were just yelling, "Pass it down!!" It was pointless and random but was amusing, gave us something to do, and was a topic of interest because everyone was saying, "WTF!!??"

Your right, I'd much rather attend a sophisticated anime convention where everyone just sat patiently in their own little bubbles, made no jokes, interacted with no one, and didn't show they were thoroughly enjoying the experience.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:12:45 am by kimiski »

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 04:39:27 am »
She said "or anything at all" and while "Chair" could fall into the realm of meme, it really just doesn't count as anything. That's all it is, some stupid chair, that people like to scream about. for no good reason other then to scream chair. if I showed up at con and started screaming "BIKE OMG BIKEBIKEBIKEBIKE bike forever bike should win the cosplay contest because bike is the coolest." I'd get hated out of the lobby and not to mention possibly asked to simmer down by staff.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline Spontaneous

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:45 am »

Nah, I don't like to sit and just watch anime. I like dressing up, doing photo shoots with friends and playing games.  But the things that are yelled all the time have nothing to do with anime/Japanese culture or ...anything at all. So I don't get it. it's just unnecessary noise to me.

Ok so we can't do anything unless it's related to anime then?

So...

no Thriller at the rave, no numa numa, no caramelldansen, no rave music in general... hmm.... Guess the Anime Hunters should be banned for playing Rock Paper Scissors at their panel...or the people on the piano singing disney songs... they should be banned too...  Seriously, what fun would a con be without the randomness and energy from the guests? I'd be bored out of my mind and if I went to a con where no one made their own fun I'd rather catch anime online. Yeah a few people took the joke too far, but by far the Chair made this con funny. Just like last year I remember waiting in line for an event and the Bowser cosplayer I think it was walked down the entire line shouting, "Caress the grenade for good luck!" and people had fun for no silly random reason, getting out of line real quick to touch his prop and get pictures with it. Another year when the line to something was super bad... this plate of weird looking gel type food was being passed down the line. People were just yelling, "Pass it down!!" It was pointless and random but was amusing, gave us something to do, and was a topic of interest because everyone was saying, "WTF!!??"

Your right, I'd much rather attend a sophisticated anime convention where everyone just sat patiently in their own little bubbles, made no jokes, interacted with no one, and didn't show they were thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I'm not trying to argue or offend you, but I think you're looking at things in a manner that is too black and white. What it sounds like you're saying is that people can either be stuffy and boring or go all out crazy and and be wild. I disagree. Yes, all those events mentioned above did make the con a fun place to be, but they were not nearly as interrupting/annoying if you consider the time and environment wise. No one is trying to address an audience/watch/listen to something in line, but most of the time "Chair" was being shouted while the contestants/staff were trying to have a presence on stage and many people were trying to watch them. And when you are in a line and you are annoyed with people shouting, you could simply walk away or deal with it until whatever panel you are going into starts, and then they would stop (for the most part). Did the Anime Hunters interrupt anyone while playing rock paper scissors? No. Did they annoy anyone? Well, there is a possibility that someone found them annoying for playing rock paper scissors; but the thing is, they only did it for a limited amount of time, not constantly over and over again.

My point is, I just think it's important to know when something is appropriate or inappropriate to do. No one can stop you from shouting whatever you want, but when you do, you should know if you're running the risk of offending/annoying someone, especially if you're going to do it repeatedly.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:35:28 am by Spontaneous »
Day 1: Natalia Lanvaldear
Day 2: Mikasa Ackerman
Day 3: Maya Fey

tumblr
deviantart