Author Topic: Homestuck Cosplay 2012  (Read 146451 times)

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
Re: Homestuck Cosplay 2012
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2012, 06:27:41 am »
Persium: Shipping from Arda should be more than $10. I think I paid $8 on my last wig from them.

For wigs, you should be able to Google around for a bunch of wig wearing tutorials, but here are the basics:
Since your hair is so long, you should pin curl it up.
Then put a wig cap on over it. Wig caps are essentially panty hose for wearing wigs. They keep stray hairs from slipping out from under your wig and becoming visible.
Use hair pins (that's a specific kind of pin, not just any ol' pin that goes in your hair) to keep the wig on your head. Bobby pins right in front of your years, and at the front or back will keep it from slipping around. Whether or not you put them on in the front or back depends on where your wig is heaviest. If you've got a big bun or ponytail in back that wants it to pull the wig backwards off your head, you'd put bobby pins at the front to keep it from sliding back.

Also, not wig related, but you should really wear makeup! Even the very basics, like foundation and eyeliner, will make you look much nicer in pictures. It'll keep your skin looking even, and if you start to sweat (Kumoricon is still a summer con, after all) it'll keep your face from getting shiny from grease. I guess eyeliner could be optional since you're being Dave, but if you ever want to take your glasses off, it's important that your eyes don't disappear in all the other big, heavy and bright stuff you've got on.

omg all this good advice asfsdgsdh thank you!! still will look up tutorials though, video ones maybe...
by 'hair pin' do you mean these? not sure if I need something so gigantic, but I have some pretty big ones like that already.

yeah I was planning on dem makeups already, I'm working on getting good with that sort of thing now. I have relatively clean skin but ain't too even. I'm doing EVERYTHING perfectly if possible, totally aiming to be a really awesome chickdave yo. and if that means the really natural/expensive wigs in town, so be it.
I feel weird wearing eyeliner since I usually don't have to but I think it'd look better in the pictures too. not only trying to be cute like I usually try to be. trying to be more... hawt this time, lmao.
this is me w/o makeup, do you guys think pure black or a darker gray eyeliner would be better? o: I think I have brown liner too though. and white for a touch of brightness if needed.
twewy all day erry day.
2013: Day 0 - FemDirk (Homestuck) // Day 1 - Atarashi
Coco (TWEWY Live/Solo Remix) // Day 2 - Sho Minamimoto (TWEWY) // Day 3 - Raimu Bito (TWEWY)

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:18 am »
oh woops I totally mistyped on my last post. Shipping from Arda shouldn't be more than $10.

Hair pains are actually these. With bobby pins, you can only secure your wigs at the edges of the wig net (the thing all the wig fiber is sewn into) but with the hair pins you can secure it anywhere in the center, except through the skin top if your wig happens to have one.

/gently touches your face because you're adorable

I use brown for dude characters, 'cause they still need eyeliner, but it needs to be subtle so it doesnt look too femme. You could do a test each with dark grey and black and see which one you like better? You can also ask us what we think. Lord knows I like to have opinions on things.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »
oh okay good, cheaper shipping than I thought. ~

had to c/p link, but I'm basically looking for ones with the wigglies in the middle?

I used to have blonde hair, and black looked far better with that than brown or grayish. dunno, maybe something about the contrast. but I want to have the wig before I testdrive the makeup too, make sure everything coordinates nicely etc.

lol thanks! I get that sometimes. makes me feel good. : D
as well as the "why aren't you in school" when I'm 20... ahaha.
twewy all day erry day.
Coco (TWEWY Live/Solo Remix) // Day 2 - Sho Minamimoto (TWEWY) // Day 3 - Raimu Bito (TWEWY)

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »
Yeah, they're the kinds that you twist in to keep them still.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline stencilSparkler

• Cabbit
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
my rose wig arrived today  ;D  ;D  ;D
also, on sunday we went and bought the skirt fabric
kcon 2012: trickster rose lalonde (homestuck)

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »
I justhave a little weight to loose and I'll be ready for Mindfang.
One of my friends is making her for me.

Offline FluffySora

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2012, 09:08:37 am »
Possibly be going as Sollux, God Tier Jake and God tier John. :3
K-con 2012
I dunno if I'm going. ;n;'
Sollux Captor, God Tier John, God Tier Jake and Peter Pan

Lumanous on tumblr - http://lumanous.tumblr.com/

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:05 pm »
iiiii just finished my jane crocker costume! i'm wearing her as-is for wonder northwest, and then before kumoricon i wanna make a lil sebastian prop for her.

plus i got model magic to finish up my disciple horns with.

(i really need to revamp my signature)

Offline zeekaice

• Oni
    • My blog
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »
Hi! This is going to be my first Kumoricon experience and my third convention altogether (first one was Anime Banzai, the second was Anime Salt Lake; I'm going to be moving to Washington in June (GOOD RIDDANCE, UTAH)), and I'm really excited :D I'll be attending this con as Slick. I'm 90% done with the cosplay, I just need the zentai suit, to make the face on the zentai suit, and the right shoes. The rest of it was found at home, so this is a fairly easy cosplay for me. Next time I'll have to try something more challenging. (I'm never doing a troll again, though, my Terezi cosplay was HORRID.)

I'm excited to see you all at the convention!!

Oh yeah, and my sister is either going to be Gamzee or Vriska. She's nervous about Gamzee, though, because explaining Gamzee to family is kind of strange. I really hope she goes with Gamzee, though.

Hey! You're going to be Slick? Yes! Maybe I will throw together a Snowman costume. If no, I'm definitely going as Bec Noir and we can just be alternates of each other. =D I'm excited.
Late response but that would be really cool! I would love to have someone Slick associates with there (with an exception of the Stabdad AU which I love a lot but that's beside the point).

Day 0 - Spades Slick
Day 1 - Nervous Broad
Day 2 - Spades Slick
Day 3 - Nervous Broad

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #309 on: May 05, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
just got my Jane wig styled with Promstuck! Gonna be a prom!Jane-ing it up with my Roxy, and it's gonna so uguu.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
So I can't guarantee who all is coming with me, but me and my group this year are bringing... A special version of a lot of ancestors, and we should have most of the exiles coming. Yeaaaah~
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
!! Exiles yaaaay!

Have a picture of my and my Roxy, 'cause I am seriously lacking in shame like a normal person.

Dollar Tree cotton candy is amazingly gross.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:12 pm »
aw man, you guys were super cute! now i'm impatient to cotton candy it up with my roxy at wonder northwest.

Offline saki-sempai

• Chibi
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »
Dear lord, could you be more cute?!

Yeah. We're gonna sit somewhere and draw out can town~
K-con 2015-
Lamento: Asato
KnB: Aomine Daiki
TnC: Gunji
Possibilities-
Something from persona, something from SNK, possibly DmmD?

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »
Nero: Thanks! Were you there? and if so, what were you cosplaying? O:

Do it! Cotton candy is the best.

Saki: Haha, I'm glad our doofiness works for you.

A-adorable. I hope I can get pictures.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:47:38 pm by Malaria »
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #315 on: May 10, 2012, 05:17:53 pm »
I've been looking qt pictures of Mindfang and Vriska, and it looks like they both have the same hair and horns.
This is correct right? I want to make double sure I'm viewing the pictures wrong.

Offline CosplayGeek4

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #316 on: May 10, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »
I've been looking qt pictures of Mindfang and Vriska, and it looks like they both have the same hair and horns.
This is correct right? I want to make double sure I'm viewing the pictures wrong.
well, Mindfang would have much longer horns but im not sure about her hair.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
Nero: Thanks! Were you there? and if so, what were you cosplaying? O:

Do it! Cotton candy is the best.

i was the rose in the knee-length purple dress! i don't think i talked to you much but i was there from 3 until 10.

my roxy and i had actually the same idea, we're gonna get some cotton candy before wnw and run around eating it. i'm getting really excited for our alpha kids group, jake and i are done with our costumes and roxy's nearly there. now i just need to kick dirk into working on stuff (read: take her wig/glasses supplies shopping, since she won't remember to do it on her own)

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:14 pm »
well, Mindfang would have much longer horns but im not sure about her hair.

Okay, thank you~

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »
My fiance (who will be my husband by that time) and I will be attending as Mom Lalonde and Dad Egbert/Crocker.  Tea parties may or may not be involved.  Be very afraid.  ;D

(From the print-club machine at AOD 2012.)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2012, 01:03:11 am »
^ YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE!!!

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2012, 03:43:28 pm »
Sunnary got my check today, so Mindfang is complete:)

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #322 on: May 16, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »
That's great.
Cant wait to see it 'w'

//sorry double post
'16 Cosplay

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2012, 03:20:16 pm »
That's great.
Cant wait to see it 'w'

//sorry double post

Thats fine :3

Do we have any idea when we wanna do the photoshoot?
I recammend Day 2.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #325 on: May 17, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »
Day 2 is good. It should be at 4:13 because duh.

Last year there were so many Homestucks at all hours that there were shoots be default pretty much every day.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #326 on: May 17, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
Day two is the day I'm cosplaying Mindfang and Vriska with my group.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »
I think a shoot each day would be fun again.
That way we don't leave anyone out. But It'd be good to come up with a main meetup.
'16 Cosplay

Offline TsunderePrussian

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »
That way we don't leave anyone out. But It'd be good to come up with a main meetup.

Day 2 would probably be best for the main meetup. But I agree a photoshoot each day would be very helpful. (Especially for me. xD I have 6 or 7 homestuck cosplays to do. ;;; )

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »

Day 2 would probably be best for the main meetup. But I agree a photoshoot each day would be very helpful. (Especially for me. xD I have 6 or 7 homestuck cosplays to do. ;;; )

If it's too much for you to do, I have your friend my Tavros, since you said you both are.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:50 am »
I was planning on wearing God Tier Rose on day 1 but I'd be fine with changing quickly and going to the photoshoot. Hopefully it won't be at the same time as the My Little Pony one though.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
I agree that a shoot every day at 4:13 would be excellent.   ;D

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline TsunderePrussian

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2012, 11:26:45 pm »

If it's too much for you to do, I have your friend my Tavros, since you said you both are.

If it becomes too much, I'll let you know. xD;; It may seem like a lot, but I always have a lot of cosplays to do at conventions.
I actually need to update my list soon, since I made a few changes and the newish list will be set in stone for the most part.
It's ridiculous, but last year I actually did seven different versions of one character alone and then four other people as well. xD;;
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:27:55 pm by TsunderePrussian »

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #333 on: May 21, 2012, 09:02:45 am »
:) impressive.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:56 am »
As a word of warning, I probably will not be attending the official photoshoot.
I'm just here to run the thread. (even though I do a pretty lame of job of doing so) Is there anyone that would like to run the shoot? D:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:56:33 am by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline TsunderePrussian

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »
:) impressive.

Thanks. xD When I get worried about my cosplays it seems like a lot, but then once I get to the convention it's just fine and doesn't seem like a lot at all. xD

As a word of warning, I probably will not be attending the official photoshoot.
I'm just here to run the thread. (even though I do a pretty lame of job of doing so) Is there anyone that would like to run the shoot? D:

Oh really? :o Well, for one I'd suggest it being two people running it together then, because based on the photoshoot at Sakuracon's size it can be stressful. And even at the photoshoot I was running at Sakuracon I was doing alone and, though I don't like admitting it, was a tad bit stressful alone because of size, trying to get people to listen, and having people ask you questions constantly as you're trying to get the pictures or countdown done. It helps to have at least one other person running it with you. c: Becaus then if you're both cosplaying, you both can get in pictures sometimes. :3
So I guess if by the time it gets closer and nobody else is going to, I can at least help run it with someone else or do it alone I-I suppose if that doesn't bother people. ^^;;

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2012, 07:52:31 am »

oh... you might be doing doing male jade, says your sig? o: //cling
I'm ordering the wig from arda today to become chick!dave, now that I have the money and can order with my card... can we grab some pics at some point if you finish?
I ship davejade (especially genderflipped) pretty hard lmao, though I don't really care if the photos get shippy or not.

on another note, should I get red contacts? I don't want to have shades on in every photo, though I'd just use the contacts during shoots and that's probably it. dunno where in Eugene I could find colored contacts, since I'd rather get some IRL and get some advice on wearing/having them first...
twewy all day erry day.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »
Pers: If you have an eye doctor, you could order contacts from them. It's illegal to buy contacts in the US/from US-based websites without a prescription anyway.

Re: shoot. I would talk to the Portlandstuck people about running a shoot, especially Marishka, 'cause she's got the yelling voice to do it right. I'm really comfortable doing a lot of yelling, but with a shoot as big as Homestuck's, it'd be good to pre-organize it with someone.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2012, 10:17:42 pm »
talking to portlandstuck/mariska in particular about helping with the shoot is definitely a good idea, she's good at organizing stuff.

i dunno if i posted about this already, but my jane cosplay is 100% done (i wore it all of wonder northwest) and my john cosplay is getting there. i'm aiming to have that done by the big june portlandstuck meetup, although i'm not starting on the wrinkle****er until summer so that part'll just be for kumoricon.

Offline TsunderePrussian

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #339 on: May 28, 2012, 03:59:46 am »

oh... you might be doing doing male jade, says your sig? o: //cling
I'm ordering the wig from arda today to become chick!dave, now that I have the money and can order with my card... can we grab some pics at some point if you finish?
I ship davejade (especially genderflipped) pretty hard lmao, though I don't really care if the photos get shippy or not.

on another note, should I get red contacts? I don't want to have shades on in every photo, though I'd just use the contacts during shoots and that's probably it. dunno where in Eugene I could find colored contacts, since I'd rather get some IRL and get some advice on wearing/having them first...

Yeah that sounds wonderful actually! I have the outfit completely done too. xD
And don't worry I ship them as well. :3 (Pfft I ship everything but I ship them a lot.)
I actually need to update the sig picture.....IT'S QUITE DIFFERENT NOW. xD;;

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #340 on: May 28, 2012, 04:15:08 pm »
Pers: If you have an eye doctor, you could order contacts from them. It's illegal to buy contacts in the US/from US-based websites without a prescription anyway.

I don't have an eye doctor at all, the only glasses I have are hipster ones and shades... though my mom does have an eye doctor, I guess I should try that? or would there be much point? :/

Yeah that sounds wonderful actually! I have the outfit completely done too. xD
And don't worry I ship them as well. :3 (Pfft I ship everything but I ship them a lot.)
I actually need to update the sig picture.....IT'S QUITE DIFFERENT NOW. xD;;

awesome /o/ I'll have to meet you at some point then!
I used to not care too much, but then the ship just grew on me like the most intense plant ever. can't say I regret letting it, either ~
twewy all day erry day.

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2012, 06:01:35 pm »
I'm going to goodwill this weekend to try and find Vriska's shirt and Pants. I'm waiting to buy the jacket. just incase I loose or  gain weight.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #342 on: May 28, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »
Pers: You should think pretty seriously about cost. If you really wanna get contacts the legal way in the US, you have to go pay to see the doctor twice, (once to figure out your prescription, once to get the contacts and learn to put them in) and then the contacts themselves.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline persium

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • deviantART
« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2012, 07:29:16 am »
Pers: You should think pretty seriously about cost. If you really wanna get contacts the legal way in the US, you have to go pay to see the doctor twice, (once to figure out your prescription, once to get the contacts and learn to put them in) and then the contacts themselves.

ahaha I just heard about that... I think I'll just photoshop things. thanks for warning me. x:
//still rather a noob at cosplay
twewy all day erry day.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #344 on: May 31, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
My best friend and I are throwing around the idea of adding Meenah and Aranea to our cosplay line up XD like we dont already have enough matching homestuck cosplays this year. If we do add them, I'll end up being Rose, Roxy, and Meenah and she'd end up being Jade, Jane, and Aranea.

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #345 on: June 10, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »
So last night, instead of sleeping or studying for my finals, I decided to fuss with my Karkat makeup. Sorry the pictures are terrible. : (

I've had no luck getting aquacolor onto my water line. It gets washed right off 'cause it's water-based. This time I put some creme Ben Nye red on the water line, then did my normal pencil black eyeliner around it so my eyes wouldn't get lost in the flat grey.

I kind of like it, but I think it would work better if I had one of the other troll colors. With the red, it just looks extra human, so I either need a red that goes on stronger or just give up and apply black or grey creme to the water line instead. I also blended in a tiny bit of black creme along my natural under eye lines for tiredness, but the way I did it, I think I look more sad than sleep deprived.

I also did the colored knuckles trick!

This is red creme under grey aquacolor. I'm not perfectly happy with it, but I need to mess around with it more.
Trying to apply red to the knuckles on my right hand with my left took so freaking long. I am such a dominant righty and I need to fix that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:19:55 pm by Malaria »
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #346 on: June 10, 2012, 09:16:38 pm »
my john cosplay is pretty much finished; i need to fix up the shoes a little because after their first real wearing the yellow on the rims is starting to come off and i'm still trawling goodwill for a better overshirt than the one i have, which is really too olive green and also has extra pockets. i did start making a pogog hammer today though. i'm just trying to figure out how to make the flat disks on the ends.

and i got fabric for god tier jane today! or at least the shirt. there was nothing of the right weight and color, so i got some white fabric and rit dye. i'm going to dye it tomorrow; hopefully if that goes well, i can start sewing soon.

and i really need to finalize my lineup fghjsakhjl;

Offline Capriocus

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #347 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »
I will be going as Gamzee and God Tier Jade! I don't have a third one yet. My cousin plans on going as Eridan the whole time, I'm trying to get him to go as other characters.
Aoi Asahina: 90% Complete
Rise Kujikawa: 70% complete
Makoto Tachibana: 100% complete
Nico Robin: 70% complete
Tooru Mutsuki: 10% complete

Offline sandrobotticelli

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #348 on: June 12, 2012, 12:21:51 am »
Sorry I keep changin' on y'all, but this one is a final for sure.  I shall be ballgown dreamer!Dirk.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyxgfqUmng1qij4gjo1_1280.png
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:22:21 am by sandrobotticelli »
Kumoricon 2013:
Neophyte Redglare- Homestuck
Madame de Pompadour- Le Chevalier D'Eon

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #349 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33:39 am »
goddamnit I thought you were going to be in a straight up dress. I'm disappointed, dude.

Who are you doing this with?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:34:01 am by Malaria »
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man