Author Topic: EVA Foam/Prop Panel Question  (Read 1512 times)

Offline X[D_ubaga]

• Cabbit
EVA Foam/Prop Panel Question
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »
hello, i've been working on a mass effect predator pistol, i got the body done in time for the con but did not have time to paint it, being that i was not sure how to go about paint this particular material.
  its called EVA foam, sturdy and durable foam that, unlike Styrofoam will not be ruined by spray paint, but thats all i know and i dont feel confident enough yet to try and paint it. i attended a panel on prop making during the con but lost the pamphlet that they gave me with all their contact info and stuff. i really just need to know who they are and how to contact them, and any tips on this you guys have.

i believe the panel was called "Prop Weapons: Making, Materials, Methods, & Madness"

Any help is appreciated very much
“It's so much easier to see the world in black and white…. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray….”  -Garrus Vakarian

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: EVA Foam/Prop Panel Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:55:25 am »
I have never tried it myself. Do you have any small pices left of the eva foam and could try it on there? I think you may have to seal the foam first but I am not sure.

Are you on the Kumoricon facebook group? The guy that used the EVA foam that hosted the panel is on there and you could ask him. I've only ever worked with craft foam and I know you have to seal that.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:20:56 am »
I ran that panel and still have the handout on my computer.  If you message me your email address I will send it to you.  the best person to ask who was on the panel with me is Davence Young.  He does a lot of is props and armor with EVA.  His big suit of armor was made out of EVA almost entirely.

Here is what he said just now.
  "depends on the paint
if it is enamel it may (eat it)a bit
problem is eva foam is so absorbant u need ot coat it with somethign first
or it will just soak up the paint"

hope that helps:  PM me and I will get you the contact information on the handout.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:24:49 am by Drauska »

Offline ironavenger

• Sailor Scout
    • Assembled Impersonations
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »
Foam is a great material to make props from.