Author Topic: Gender Bending 2013  (Read 8731 times)

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
Gender Bending 2013
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:08:41 pm »
I know there are those people who despise gender-bending. They think everyone should dress accurately, but what if we don't want to bind ourselves, or wear long wigs? This is for all of us who are intentionally going genderbent cuz' we feel like it. Here we can connect without people getting all annoyed or scornful of our different take. Cosplay is cosplay, whether its boy or girl, black or white, accurate or edited. Personally, I'm doing female Zoro, trying to keep up the aesthetic but with long hair, skinny jeans, and different, more feminine boots. Who are you going as? How are you doing it? Are you trying to keep the same aesthetic, or go totally different? Personally, I'm doing female Zoro, trying to keep up the aesthetic but with long hair, skinny jeans, and different, more feminine boots.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
Re: Gender Bending 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »
i do male vriska- mostly cause i identify as male, and prefer male character cosplays- but besides that i dont have the money to buy a wig for a side cosplay.
she already has a very tomboy-ish attire, so i really dont have change it at all. and because i only really wear it for casual costuming i dont see it as a big deal.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:08:10 pm »
i basically want to cosplay every black rock shooter character out there (not the game with the exception of white rock shooter)

thus i'm ok with genderbending-- i just wish girls who cosplay genderbent male characters dont slutify them.

there is a fine line between sexy and slut =A=
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:49 pm »
Back when I identifying female I did a female Walter Sullivan costume, actually because I run an Ask Female Walter blog on Tumblr and I had the makings for it. I used a curly blond wig a dark blue button up, jeans and heeled boots. I then added my Robbie doll and had a sign that said "looking for my Receiver"
It was fun.
Now I don't genderbend as much but I love seeing people's designs.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:52:19 pm »
i basically want to cosplay every black rock shooter character out there (not the game with the exception of white rock shooter)

thus i'm ok with genderbending-- i just wish girls who cosplay genderbent male characters dont slutify them.

there is a fine line between sexy and slut =A=

I completely agree. Genderbending should still match up mostly with the characters personality, thus, if the male character isn't a slut, the female version shouldn't be either.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
I fully agree with Zenneth. I personally don't like genderbending characters because I enjoy the challenge of trying to look as much as the character as possible which most of the time means changing my physical gender.

I think the main reason people don't like it, is because they think you're taking the easy way out of binding, or an excuse to be a popular male character and make it slutty by being female instead. What they don't understand is some people CAN'T bind for medical or other reasons. I also think people are just to strict in the cosplay community. Cosplaying is supposed to be a way to show off your fandom, either it being a series you love or the actual character.

Defiantly the main reason I dislike genderbending is the second statement I made above about making them slutty. If you're going to make the character the opposite gender, think of their personality and what they would actually wear. If Tony Stark was female, she might wear skimpier clothing while out at parties, but she defiantly wouldn't make/wear an Iron (wo)man suit that didn't cover all of her body to go out fighting people that are beating her up with rockets...She would wear something that looked exactly like the Iron Man suit, but more tailored to a female body.

Those are my two cents. I hope you all have fun~!
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:43 pm »
I fully agree with Zenneth. I personally don't like genderbending characters because I enjoy the challenge of trying to look as much as the character as possible which most of the time means changing my physical gender.

I think the main reason people don't like it, is because they think you're taking the easy way out of binding, or an excuse to be a popular male character and make it slutty by being female instead. What they don't understand is some people CAN'T bind for medical or other reasons. I also think people are just to strict in the cosplay community. Cosplaying is supposed to be a way to show off your fandom, either it being a series you love or the actual character.

Defiantly the main reason I dislike genderbending is the second statement I made above about making them slutty. If you're going to make the character the opposite gender, think of their personality and what they would actually wear. If Tony Stark was female, she might wear skimpier clothing while out at parties, but she defiantly wouldn't make/wear an Iron (wo)man suit that didn't cover all of her body to go out fighting people that are beating her up with rockets...She would wear something that looked exactly like the Iron Man suit, but more tailored to a female body.

Those are my two cents. I hope you all have fun~!

Thank you for stating your opinion in a nice way :). However, I do disagree on the part of "taking the easy way out", because good gender benders (which I am not since this is only my second year of cosplaying) often spend a lot of time designing their outfits and think a lot about what the character actually would wear as the opposite gender. I do see why you like to stay with the accurate depictions of characters, and that's totally cool, but personally, I like to mess with it a little bit sometimes.

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:35 pm »
Does anybody else see gender bending and imagine a bender (like ATLA or LOK), except they totally just confuse their enemy by changing their (the enemy's) gender instead of fighting with an element? That seems to be an interesting premise for a story...

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:51:38 pm »
I am actually helping my friends do genderbent versions of My Little Pony characters. We're hoping to get at least the main 6. But I may do male Luna.

Also my friends and I did a photoshoot where we were genderbent Harry Potter characters and it was fun. I did Ronda (Ron) and we got rained out, so we'll be doing that again and I may work on a more complicated character like Dumbledore ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »
in a way i agree with the binding thing. it drives me crazy when someone sits there and whines about 'i cant do this character because i dont want to bind' and then i suggest doing a gender bent version and then they freak out more

i go out of my way to bind because its more comfortable for me, i get uncomfortable not binding. but if im having a day where i'm sore i end up having to not.

but i dont see why people have such harsh opinions agenst genderbending/binding but have the same opinion agenst the other. especially if they're going to complain about it. if they're not going to do anything about it, they should just find a different character. sometimes i feel like people think cosplay JUST HAPPENS MAGICALLY and i dont like that, cause you /have/ to put work into it.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 06:42:01 pm »
Okay I need to say this or I will freak out.
The term "slut" for me is based off of one's actions not how they dress. How a person dress doesn't describe their sexual actions.
If someone is proud of their body it's okay for them to show it. I admit if the character is not the type to flaunt their body it is weird for their rule 63 version showing it off.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 06:46:42 pm »
Okay I need to say this or I will freak out.
The term "slut" for me is based off of one's actions not how they dress. How a person dress doesn't describe their sexual actions.
If someone is proud of their body it's okay for them to show it. I admit if the character is not the type to flaunt their body it is weird for their rule 63 version showing it off.

True, but keep in mind that clothes often reflect the person's personality, who they want to be, or popular styles (being much of the "slutty" girls I know). "Dressing slutty" is fine when you're confident in yourself, it has nothing to do with my life, so I don't really care, but yes, if it doesn't match the personality, (or if I can literally see more than I would see at the pool) then it bugs me.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 09:06:40 pm »
ok let's go with this,

--just wanna tell you guys that the post below is just my opinion and is my opinion alone--

black rock shooter-- genderbent-- black rock kaito,

black rock kaito and black rock shooter has the same outfit only, he's male and has pants.... basically exactly what BRS would wear if she's a guy...

now MLP,

rarity, people cosplay gijinka rarity with a classy type of outfit to match her role and personality, if someone would genderbend gijinka rarity, they'd have to cosplay him as a guy with class or maybe even has a KPOP ish kinda feel to match the fashionista personality of rarity...

now let's go to a generic wrong things of what people did over the internets...

kakashi genderbend-- bikini
http://sadpanda.us/images/48568-FXJ4GL4.jpg

would a ninja really be going out like that? ok nvm, it's an anime, and chances are there might be ninjas that will go like that
but im saying to match his role and personality, they can go for a genderbend like this

http://sadpanda.us/images/48568-FXJ4GL4.jpg

it still has an appeal but kinda matches.
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline kappa roll

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
so. i just wanna throw out my own two cents on this topic.

cosplay is supposed to be fun. whatever costume, genderbent or not, revealing or (arguably) true to character, it doesn't matter what you did, as long as you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, are proud of the work you've done on it, and most importantly are having a good time.

it seems really unfair for any cosplayer to diss another one for any reason, especially for things like characterization and personal style choices.

plus, getting into really heated debates about this kind of cosplay issue is pretty silly. like, it's fine to have opinions (obviously i have mine) but there are times when everyone needs to look back and remember, we're all just a bunch of nerds in costumes.

okay i'm done.

| roxy lalonde (100%) | kh2 sora (0%) | akira agarkar yamada (25%) | judal (100%) | fem!trickster!god tier! john (100%) |

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 08:23:35 pm »

cosplay is supposed to be fun. whatever costume, genderbent or not, revealing or (arguably) true to character, it doesn't matter what you did, as long as you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, are proud of the work you've done on it, and most importantly are having a good time.

it seems really unfair for any cosplayer to diss another one for any reason, especially for things like characterization and personal style choices.

plus, getting into really heated debates about this kind of cosplay issue is pretty silly. like, it's fine to have opinions (obviously i have mine) but there are times when everyone needs to look back and remember, we're all just a bunch of nerds in costumes.

okay i'm done.

you do have a point.

but i also have a point-- but my point is just another opinion out there =w= and in all honesty i dont really get offended by them if they go bare cosplay, i'm straight so eye-cany for me XDDD-- it's just my preference.

Offline mesaverde

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »
I'm cosplaying Fem Italy for the third day, but I'm using the official design. I cosplay both fem and regular Italy, the reason I'm doing fem for Kumoricon is because my Italy cosplay is a very thick wool coat, long pants, and a shirt underneath the coat, plus a tie, and binding underneath all that. It's fine for winter, but in the summer it would be immensely uncomfortable. Day 2 as Viper will be my uncomfortably hot day for Kumoricon.
Kumoricon 2014 tentative lineup:
Day 1: Yumichika Ayasegawa (Bleach)
Day 2: Flamenco Jolteon (Pokemon)
Day 3: Fujisake Yuusuke/Bossun (Sket Dance)
Day 4: Superbi Squalo (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 05:17:09 pm »
I like a lot of genderbent cosplays.

Except you know, that awkward moment when you think a girl dressed up like Ash Ketchum is hot.  :o ;D

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:54 pm »

okay i'm done.
Ditto
Thank you for posting this

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:35 pm »
Oh yeah, I've done the whole gender bending thing.  I did fem Leon Orcot from Pet Shop of Horrors actually.  No one knew who I was because no one seems to know Pet Shop of Horrors but oh well.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109302261682098900094/albums/5770097554441561553?authkey=CMqdioXf9YS3hAE

http://anaehs-aelias.deviantart.com/gallery/41369450

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
Last year, I did a male Pinkie Pie, and I plan to do it again this year, as well as some female roles as females (at least one of them, anyways).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:11 am »
I'm doing a female Ash Ketchum this year because one I really like the original character and two because my doctor informed me I'm not allowed to bind all 3 days this year because its causing to much stress on my ribs and crushing my heart which already has problems. And so heres my Fem Ash Ketchum Design https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437621986287650&set=a.132142550168930.22611.100001195566362&type=3&theater

I personally love Gender benders but like you guys, I really only like them if they follow the characters personality and don't go all super Slutty on the character.  I know cosplay is meant to be fun but showing off your body isn't going to make you more popular, its more dangerous then anything in my eyes. but that's just my opinion.

Offline Shingami_lover

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:35 am »
Also in Naruto there is a little thing called SnJ aka Sexy No Jutsu .... Naruto characters are fun to see as since it is 'Jutsu'

BUT Cosplaying is to be FUN and not to be 'Nick n Pick' at so Gender bending is COOL and Awesome!!

BTW SnJ Sasuke will probably making a view this year again
~2016~
Sasuke Uchiha, Kanda Yuu
Touka, Michiru,
and Haha

~Panels~
Anime Court 16, 14, 13 - Chess Master 2014

DicePanda Cosplay, Cosplayers of Oregon, Brothers United Productions

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 04:36:39 pm »
I personally Genederbend rather than Crossplay just because I don't want to look like a man, or dress like a man.
Then again I don't genderbend much. XD
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline PaigeLoe

• Cabbit
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:37 pm »
I'm not sure this really counts, but I thought I would add how much I enjoy "gender-ambiguous" characters in anime. My first cosplay ever was Haruhi Fukioka, who looks pretty as both a guy AND a girl! I'm going to be Crona Gorgon this year, and I won't be binding my chest to any extreme to play up on how genderless the character is. I believe that cosplaying to your likeness is essential; Do what you like, that's my policy. I like people guessing and then ending up not caring about gender because if it's a good cosplay, it's a GOOD COSPLAY ;D
PS~ I was Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2 who is clearly a guy in the anime/manga, but I tend to have a more "boyish" look to me when I crossplay (oh well). I can't pull of manly-men, so I won't even bother wanting try XD
Second Year-KCon13 Confirmed Cosplay: Crona Gorgon ,Kotoko AND Arrietty. Newcon12: Raven. Summer Cospaly: Ikki.

First Year-KCon12 : Haruhi Fujioka, Ryoga Hibiki