Author Topic: Help with making my cosplay please~  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Figgles

• Chibi
    • Figgles Deviant Page
Help with making my cosplay please~
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:50 pm »
I'm planning to attend con this year as one of my OC's. I've gotten a lot of encouragement to put this together and take it to con, but he's a bit complex and I could use some help on figuring out how to make some of the stuff~ :D

My character's name is Royal Durnin, a Chimera. He looks(mostly) like this: http://xfigglesx.tumblr.com/image/41687216697 (This isn't his actual look since I made him a Digimon for an rp, but he still looks mostly the same. :) I only have this online to show and it has what I need for help so that's why it'll work for now. lol)

Anyways, as you can see he's got some...interesting hands going on there. My question to those reading is if anyone has any good ideas on how to make this possible. Also, the clothing I'll be wearing with this will cover my entire arm so i just need something to cover up my hands like his. The claws remind me of the manga Ultimo and how their hands are. I've seen some people pull those off in cosplays, but I'm not sure how they do it exactly. So any help on how to make these claws work would be amazing~

Secondly, I could use some help figuring out how to hook the horns onto my forehead. I have ideas on how to make the horns and make them very light weight, but no clue as to how I could hook them onto my head and not worry about them slipping down all day. (Since with the claws It'll be kinda hard to fix them. :)

Any help on figuring this out would be amazing~ I really want to pull this off! :D
Cosplay '14: Elliot Nightray(Pandora Hearts), Aoba Seragaki(DMMd), Karkat(Homestuck), Aelita(Code Lyoko), and Oz Vessalius(Pandora Hearts)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
Re: Help with making my cosplay please~
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »
if you like help I can help you if you need it by kcon I make cosplay myself  if you like :3

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:16:03 pm »
For the horns something as simple as light weight air dry modeling clay over some light weight base. My Rarity horn is a cone made out of paper that was covered in plastic wrap and then covered with modeling clay. The plastic is needed because the clay would stick to the paper. Then a coat of glue to smooth it out and then paint to your liking. To attach them to your forehead you could try spirit gum. They might be too big though. If you do use spirit gum make sure you have something to remove it with! Rubbing Alcohol works all right
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Figgles

• Chibi
    • Figgles Deviant Page
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:40:02 am »
Titus: I really could use the help, but I wanna try and see if I can make it myself~ I wanna get better at making this kind of stuff. :) If you have any advice on what would be good material to use or suggestions on how to put it together, that would be amazing! I could use all the help I can get on this since this will be my first time putting together something like this. I've done large  props in the past before, but this is a bit different. :)

Wrath: I never thought about using spirit gum. I'll have to give that a try~ I plan to make the horns as light weight as possible so that I don't have to worry about a weight issue when hooking them to my forehead. Still looking around for the best way to do that. :)
Cosplay '14: Elliot Nightray(Pandora Hearts), Aoba Seragaki(DMMd), Karkat(Homestuck), Aelita(Code Lyoko), and Oz Vessalius(Pandora Hearts)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
yeah i can show you some stuff and help you out if you want to skype me its quiet_black_nights

Offline Figgles

• Chibi
    • Figgles Deviant Page
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »
Awesome~ I found a tutorial the other day on how to make the claws possibly~ I'll add you and show you the tutorial I found and see how well it would work before I try and thing. :) My skype is rand.eye.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:44:33 am »
mmk

Offline wildlavender

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART account! :D
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
For my horns, I used Polyurethane Expanding Foam. A.k.a Seal n' Fill, which you can find at Home Depot, or any similar store. Just spray it on a sheet of wax paper (do NOT get this on your skin or clothes), let it dry for a day or so, and then carve it with a serrated knife into whatever shape you want. Sturdy, yet light and very easy to carve. Then just cover it in tin foil, burnish said foil, then use air-dry clay. Never oven-bake, the foam is flammable like you wouldn't believe. Use water to smooth out any odd seams while working with the clay. Leave it alone for a day to dry, then come back and paint it and ta-da! You have a pair of horns! This is where I found the tutorial to make mine: http://yaexrae.tumblr.com/post/11997998469/semi-realistic-troll-horn-tutorial

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplays:
Matryoshka! Gumi (Vocaloid): (100%)
Tiger (Monster Rancher 4): (90%)
Nuregami (Okami): (100%)
Kululu (Sgt. Frog): (95%)