Author Topic: Cosplay misshaps, oh my!  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:47:03 pm »
I haven't cosplayed many times, but I'm sure, for anyone who has, you have had difficulties with either making, wearing, or getting on the costume.

Two years ago at Kumoricon, I dressed as an injured Shinsengumi solider.
The costume itself wasn't that elaborate, but since I was "injured," I had to have many fake bloody bandages wrapped all around me.
A few hours into the con, I had to use the restroom.
I got in, and realized....

Holy crap. I can't pee. I CA'T EVEN GET OUT OF THE BANDAGES! o___o;

It took me about an hour to use the bathroom. D:

So, anyone have any stories?

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:20:15 pm »
Oh man, that reminds me of my fuu costume. It took 3 people including myself to get my Fuu costume on. I wore a pair of shorts underneath as well as a tanktop for any odd situation that might come up.

I kept hydrated and it turned out I had to pee twice as much as I usually do. It was so aggrivating. I'd spend 2 hrs at an event and then rush to the bathroom.

But that wasn't the whole thing. I figured out WHY they have squatty floor toilets in Japan.

Because you can't just UNWRAP yourself and then wrap yourself up again! I longed for a squatty floor toilet. Luckily I shimmied the kimono up and my shorts down. It was an awful pain in a tiny stall, but I got around my dilema without too much hassle.
It's hard being pinq.

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 04:56:19 am »
I somewhat anticipate something of this nature happening this year.  One of my costumes this year will be requiring me to spirit gum a mask to my face, as well as were a bodysuit, giant robes and then "armor" pieces on my arms.  It's not as bad as some stuff I've done, but because of the annoying process with the mask I refuse to take it off and repeat it several times... so I guess I'll be having half my day's meals through a straw... or something.
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 06:55:54 am »
@pinqfuu

aiyaa. i'm wearing a yukata (that looks somewhat like fuu's) on the first day, and i've never really put using the bathroom in mind. it's already hard enough putting it on properly. >x<; oh my...
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 08:17:28 am »
note: pocky is about the same size as a straw
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Janice

• Cabbit
    • http://aleyed.deviantart.com
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 04:20:09 pm »
Well, nothing's happened yet, because I haven't worn this new costume.  But I anticipate something happening, though I'm hoping it doesn't!  

My costume this year is an Alchemist from Ragnarok and well...You can see my dilemna:

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/game/jobalchemist.asp

... I have to duct tape my boobs to my dress...and no bra.  

Not only that, but my dress is super-short and mobility is going to be tough.

Please don't pull my dress anyone!! XD

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 04:35:10 pm »
there is a much gentler skin product sold at beauty shops which is used for actresses who want to adhere cloth to their chest *blushes*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 04:50:31 pm »
This reminds me of my first Kumori-Con.

I was Sailor Star Maker, and the straps around my waist weren't secured very well, I was extremly tired when sewing them. But, during the middle of Cosplay, while on stage one of the straps snapped from my shorts. I was horrified, those straps held the shorts up. It was horrible. Luckily, the shorts stayed on during the performance and I fixed the problem when we got off stage.

It was still very embarassing.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Janice

• Cabbit
    • http://aleyed.deviantart.com
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 09:39:41 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
there is a much gentler skin product sold at beauty shops which is used for actresses who want to adhere cloth to their chest *blushes*

Hahaha, yeah well, I spent $7 on some stupid "hollywood tape" that apparently the stars use to keep up their ball gowns.  It was basically double-stick tape cut into little strips. And it didn't work at all. I was reeeeally mad that I had to pay that much for it.  

But duct tape is fine.  I'm sure I can rock it all night at the dance :D  I just won't bend over.  Hehee

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 09:58:32 pm »
Quote from: "Janice"

Hahaha, yeah well, I spent $7 on some stupid "hollywood tape" that apparently the stars use to keep up their ball gowns.  It was basically double-stick tape cut into little strips. And it didn't work at all. I was reeeeally mad that I had to pay that much for it.  

But duct tape is fine.  I'm sure I can rock it all night at the dance :D  I just won't bend over.  Hehee
No don't! My buddy Sarah had a very bad experience with duct tape and having the sticky side melting and adhering to the flesh when the body temperature rises and the body sweats.... :shock:  The horror!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 03:19:03 am »
Auch, don't use duct tape! Duct tape is nasty stuff, bad for extended skin contact. Tends to melt, too, as Lin said.

Have you tried normal double-sided tape to see if the adhesive is stronger? The adhesive may not be real great for you in that either but it's got to be better than duct tape. Maybe a water-soluable spirit gum that'll wash out? I have no experience with any of these options in this situation, being a guy, but I figured I'd at least try and give you alternatives, heh.

Anyway, not sure why this thread sucked me in, but good luck with your cosplay!

Offline {m}

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 02:48:28 pm »
Quote from: "Lin"

No don't! My buddy Sarah had a very bad experience with duct tape and having the sticky side melting and adhering to the flesh when the body temperature rises and the body sweats.... :shock:  The horror!

Oh god!
I ((almost)) remember that!
Is this Sarah P?
Emm.. the tall one? :roll:
Hmmm what to do next year?

Who saw the SnJ Kakashi?!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 09:55:02 pm »
Quote from: "{m}"
Quote from: "Lin"

Oh god!
I ((almost)) remember that!
Is this Sarah P?
Emm.. the tall one? :roll:

Hai it was Sarah. I think they had to take her to the hospital halfway through the dance. Not good!
Secrety secrets!

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 12:46:32 am »
My Chi ears last year were next to impossible!
I had to fix them constantly because they kept falling apart.

Then there was this weird thing going on where my right armpit was sweating really bad, but my left wasn't, so there was this huge sweat spot in my dress..
It was so gross! >.<

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 06:50:59 am »
......................Or sew machine just broke........... Right in the middle of sewing my dress......my sisters isnt done either, and we have no money for a new one, so... I might not be cosplaying.....T.T

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:28:23 am »
My costume this year is an Alchemist from Ragnarok and well...You can see my dilemna:
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/game/jobalchemist.asp
 ... I have to duct tape my boobs to my dress...and no bra.  

How much boning did you put in the dress? If you used the plastic boning, it will soften and bend from body heat. Run on over to B Sharp Fabrics on Lombard (by Fisk st --http://www.bsharpfabrics.com) with the dress and get enough metal boning to make it rigid enough to stay up. The owner can help you figure out how much boning and where to put it. I'm assuming you have laces on the back side so you can open it wide enough to get in then cinch it up once you're in it.... you'll need to lace it snugly to be sure it stays on. The compression from the boning will function as a bra since the top of that dress is basically a corset.  :)

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 08:29:02 am »
Quote from: "cupcake_abuser_zooshi"

Then there was this weird thing going on where my right armpit was sweating really bad, but my left wasn't, so there was this huge sweat spot in my dress..
It was so gross! >.<

Omg that's really weird. .______.

@ Kimski: Oh nooo!!! D:>>>

I'd let you borrow mine, but it's in Eugene. T_____T
[/size]

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 08:45:26 am »
My costuming disaster happened at a science fiction convention. I was dressed as Honor Harrington (from David Weber's Honor Harrington series) and I'd just finished making a Nimitz (her 6 legged treecat) to wear along with the costume the previous. Well, I must admit that I was finishing up Nimitz at the bar...while having a few Margaritas...and I managed to attach one pair of legs backwards (meaning the left front was on right front side and right leg on left front...so the feet pointed the wrong way).  I did manage to pop the legs off and switch them to the correct side, but after lugging Nimitz around all day, his head popped off and I had to hold the head on the body until I could get him back to the hotel room.

Lesson learned: alcohol and costuming don't mix well   :)

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 10:06:24 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
......................Or sew machine just broke........... Right in the middle of sewing my dress......my sisters isnt done either, and we have no money for a new one, so... I might not be cosplaying.....T.T

Oh no! How much have you finished? Are you able to do it by hand? I could bring my sewing machine, but it might be too late  :(
It's hard being pinq.

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 10:21:07 am »
Quote from: "PinqFuu"

Oh no! How much have you finished? Are you able to do it by hand? I could bring my sewing machine, but it might be too late  :(

I'm also bringing my machine along to the con if you need some help. I'll be there Friday night, so if you don't have a whole lot left(that cant' be done in one night) you could give me a hollar(am I still going to bring the moon jewels for you too?)

Offline ambergen87

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 01:42:16 pm »
I tried looking for a pattern for a duster with a collar on it for Izumi. I couldn't and I'm so tall that I found one without a collar. Everyone said I looked like Izumi, so it worked out ok.
Randomness is good for the soul.

The swag lady.

Cosplay for Kumoricon 2011:
Saturday: Lolita
Sunday: Seychelles
Monday: Catgirl Schoolgirl

Friday: Random yukata girl
Sat: Don't know
Sun: Don't know
Mon: Raine from Final Fantasy VIII

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 06:32:52 pm »
8)
*dances*
My aunt JUST bought a new machine today, lol.
So we pounced on her and begged her if we could use it, and she agreed.

Thanks for your concerns! :P

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 11:29:56 pm »
8)
*dances*
My aunt JUST bought a new machine today, lol.
So we pounced on her and begged her if we could use it, and she agreed.

Thanks for your concerns! :P

wow what a coincidence 0_o
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 11:45:36 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
My costuming disaster happened at a science fiction convention. I was dressed as Honor Harrington (from David Weber's Honor Harrington series) and I'd just finished making a Nimitz (her 6 legged treecat) to wear along with the costume the previous. Well, I must admit that I was finishing up Nimitz at the bar...while having a few Margaritas...and I managed to attach one pair of legs backwards (meaning the left front was on right front side and right leg on left front...so the feet pointed the wrong way).  I did manage to pop the legs off and switch them to the correct side, but after lugging Nimitz around all day, his head popped off and I had to hold the head on the body until I could get him back to the hotel room.

...Wow. Just...wow. XD

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 06:05:56 pm »
@Runa: You cosplayed Honor Harrington? You have just earned yourself about 1000 coolness points with me.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 10:52:25 am »
Quote from: "Runa"

Okay - sorry, have to repost this (from the thread General Discussion  » "its that magical time of year when you main your self")     

A Cosplay Haiku:

Thimble full of blood
I've ripped all my seams out twice
Never sew while drunk.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline mightycrouton

• Sailor Scout
    • http://myspace.com/jolivet
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 10:46:45 pm »
Sakuracon '06.

I was dressed as Baiken for the first time. One guy actually stopped in his tracks with his friends, stared at the wall and said 'Baiken. I want you to know that I enjoyed your breasts all convention long.'

I was almost as pink as my wig after that. All I could say was 'Thank you' and all I wanted to do was smack him off the back of the head.

Offline MHHornfreak

• Oni
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 10:51:35 pm »
My pants split on my Midvalley Costume <.<
I walked all the way to Michaels to pick up a sewing kit wasting my sunday morning.

Offline kairi

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 11:31:54 pm »
oh man this year being sephiroth had to be the worst experience that i will ever have. The costume was supposed to be for the skit but i figured hey y dont i just wear it all day to make things easier....wrong i dea the thing was made out of pleather for goodness sakes and not to mention it was like 80 degress out side plus the sloider pads. All and all by the start of the skit my costume had a rip in the arm so we had to duck tape it lol so yea htta was a fun first experience maybe for sakuracon i can make something that is more breathable
Chibiroth

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 12:37:55 pm »
I haven't had any major cosplaying disasters yet, but I also haven't cosplayed all that much.  I know that when I'm in my Snow White Dress, using the bathroom is more or less not an option.  I have to be really careful to keep myself hydrated, but not drink more water than I could burn off while walking around.  I somehow managed it at Sakuracon 05.

This year, I was wearing my Ami Mizuki outfit, but I had a serious lack of hair pins for my wig.  During the costume contest, I was laughing at one of the skits, and my wig just fell off behind me.  Thankfully I wasn't on stage or anything, and there wasn't anyone sitting directly behind me, and it was dark...but I felt really silly XD  The moral of the story: always bring extra bobby pins, and make sure your wig cap and wig are tightly attatched to your head.  Or face the consiquences.

Offline x HatakeKakashi x

• Sailor Scout
    • Myspace
Cosplay misshaps, oh my!
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 01:25:32 pm »
Quote from: "cupcake_abuser_zooshi"

It was so gross! >.<

And I watched the whole thing...
That was actually pretty funny. I ended up waiting for you to re-deoderize outside of the bathroom and you were like "Stay in this general area" So I said "Kay," And ran off.
Then I got yelled at :3
nyappy. C: