Author Topic: Hotel Complaints  (Read 13364 times)

Offline HeavenscloneX

• Chibi
    • Facebook
Hotel Complaints
« on: September 06, 2006, 02:25:03 am »
Now, the rooms at the Red Lion were very nice.  The only problem I had was with the space that was provide.  It seemed very cramped in that hotel.  I think it'd be nice if Kumoricon was held at a place that had more open areas to walk around.
~Yatta Dante
The Anime Hunters

Offline Anza

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/anza
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:14:58 am »
say for instance... the Portland Convention center?
Right on the MAX line with TONS of hotels nearby.... just an idea  7 7;;

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
hotel-ness
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
Actually, the good part of the chosen hotel was that it was Much less expensive than downtown hotels, which means it left us with more money to spend on other things like DVDs, posters and suchlike.

Other goodness about the hotel:
   * It was within walking distance of lots of inexpensive food choices.
   * FREE parking
   * sufficent parking available so that everyone could park reasonably near the hotel
   * In a reasonably safe location (so a girl could walk alone and not feel fear like what happens downtiown in which you have to bring along a bunch of yojimbo to defend you from scum...)

Offline Anza

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/anza
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 09:58:58 am »
Ah yeah I know it well (I live here afterall.) Though it was at a good location to get to food and such it was also tremendously cramped. Or so it felt to me. It also just was.. out there. Quiet a trip to get to on mass transit. Downtown hotels aren't THAT expensive. And to top it off you could stay at any one along the MAX line and be able to get to the center's from door for free.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:31:42 am »
the only real solution is for all the nerd cons in Portland to join together and buy the closed down Thunderbird Hotel next to the Red Lion.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:49:54 pm »
Yeah yeah! Abandoned hotel = coool. No room service tho.

Cons about the Red Lion Hotel:
- Narrow hallway outside vendor room and shallow lobby not good for photo taking / glomping.
- Long walk from one end to the other - and what is with the numbering system? If you were at room 145, you had to go upstairs, through the lobby and back down to get to #155 (or outside) - annoying.
- Took some time to figure out creation station = here, viewing = here, gaming and panel rooms = here. Once I got that streight, it was okay (still a long walk).
- Not knowing their own weapons / mask policy until the hotel was all booked and it was 2 days before the con
- Kicking us out of the main events room to set up a wedding.

Pros
- Beautiful setting right on the river - I even had vendors saying they loved to look out the windows of the vendor room. Very rare
- Close to lots of stuff.
- Felt safe walking around the area
- At another con, we were on the 12 floor and the elevators broke. So with the Red Lion, sure we had to walk miles from one end to the other, but at least if was only 4 stories tall.
- The bar / restaurant wasn't bad (went their twice w/o incident).
- I'm sooooo glad they had a coffee bar (tho the baristas were very slow)
- I think they really did try there best not to stare... too hard.
- Pool, dock and tennis court!

Three more things I think would have made it easier to move around:
1. I don't think anyone volunteered to be King / Queen of all Sinage, so next year, hopefully we will have bright directional signs that can't be erased would be good.
2. Every morning, we should have budget to print off a stack of the most recent daily schedule. That way, people could just walk past the info desk and pick up. At a larger con I went to, they did a day time / night time sheet for each day.
3. Full sized map on a loose sheet of paper in every con bag.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Rina-chan

• Cabbit
    • http://suzumiya-haruhi.net
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 09:42:46 pm »
I disliked the attitudes of a lot of the hotel staff members. They treated the attendees, or at least my group, as if we were nothing but a nuisance. One of the waitresses hit me in the head with a tray (accidentally) while talking to my friend in the hallway and rather than apologizing, she said, quite loudly rudely, "You shouldn't have been standing there. You need to move out of the way." Honestly I don't see what was so hard about just politely saying "Excuse me miss, could you please move so I can get through?" Ugh. >> Apparently one of the waitresses also barked at my friend to be quiet for calling across the lobby to one of his friends. In addition, the people at the front desk were pretty unfriendly when we politely asked them if we could speak to a health person because our friend was injured.

...At least the CONVENTION staff seemed pretty nice, and the free wireless internet was nice despite the lagging.
suzumiya-haruhi.net
Kumori-Con 06: Sakura (Naruto), Haruhi (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 10:22:14 pm »
Quote from: "Rina-chan"
...At least the CONVENTION staff seemed pretty nice, and the free wireless internet was nice despite the lagging.

Thank you! I do believe that most of the staff was quite good about being kind, but I even caught myself getting irritated at one point. (I went directly to bed after that.)

I think the best way is if the staff is nice to the attendees, and the attendees are nice to the staff....hmmm. It seems so simple....
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline CaoCao433

• Cabbit
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 11:02:52 pm »
i think the space of the hotel was reasonable.  what made it seem a little cramped was probably the groups of people just standing there and people walking by to get to other places.  i remember i was walking in the hallway outside the vendor's room and there was a group of people standing there and talking. i asked if i could get by and they ignored me. i squeeze by them and then they gave me this nasty look... - -'
anyways... i only spoke to one hotel staff member the entire time so i can't say anything about them. MAP! YES! that would definitely be waay better.  i got lost twice looking for my room and panels. - -

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 10:45:38 am »
"You shouldn't have been standing there. You need to move out of the way." Honestly I don't see what was so hard about just politely saying "Excuse me miss, could you please move so I can get through?"
Unfortunately it happens because you might of been the 1000 thousand person to get in their way. I sat down and actually watch the Con as a specator and the way the hotel staff was. Most of the times they were pushing long carts, carrying items and often saying, "EXCUSE ME, can you please move from the hallway".  Unfortunately no one moved. It was loud so no one has no idea who "Excuse me" is directed at, even if you shout "Hey you standing in the middle of the hallway".

There should of been sections roped off or paths cleared. When people picked up registerations, staff should of reminded people to not stand in the middle of the halls. Often people would walk one way, run into someone going the other way.. and then stop to talk. Thereby stopping all of traffic from going through.

After asking someone to move politely 500 times in less than a couple hours, I can see why some of them would be upset. As far as con-goers really care they believe they paid money, they are here so they can do what they want. People are friendly with each other, which is a good thing... unfortunately if it wasn't a convention, stopping in the middle of the hallway to talk to a friend doesn't block the path. But when every other person does it, there are 500 people trying to walk through the hall... then it becomes a serious issue.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:53:03 am »
We were given a map of the hotel during checkin..... it was a common xerox and we lost it within 15min. but it was helpful in finding the room... after that I was pretty much lost I missed alot of the panels and events I wanted to go to but I just blamed that on my con virgin~ness. Regardless I finally figured everything out.... on Monday at 1:15pm. Very sad. But also I admit that me and my group got involved in situations we couldn't handle. If anyone was awake at about 12:45am-2:00am at the second stairwell on the third floor on the right half of the hotel you know what I am talking about. -^-;;;
Secrety secrets!

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 11:30:41 am »
"You shouldn't have been standing there. You need to move out of the way."

I totally know that feeling. I was waiting as far off as I could in the Pre-Reg offshoot line (you know the one they put you in when you are *almost there*) Anyways a waitress comes by with a tray, and something fell off the tray and almost hit me and another guy in the head. I don't even remember really what it was because I was dodging so fast. The lady just snapped at us that we shouldn't be standing around there. ...Well, perhaps she didn't know we were in line and placed there.

There was a bunch of other incidents where we brushed with rude staff. My mom had lots of encounters with them. When she went down to the pool and someone had gotten some gunk in it, she went to ask a hotel staff what had happened. She got the reply, "It's those awful Kumori Con people." Later at check-out, my mom got a lot of rude behavior sent at her from the hotel staff.

I think Kumori Con could live with switching hotels somewhere else for 2007.
Sweet Times

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 03:22:59 pm »
i was at the oxford, they were pretty cool , the most we got was whats going on? from there gusets i did get the anyoed vibe from red lion when looking for my boyfriends glasses
but the free hot breakfast at oxford made up for the walk
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 08:26:34 pm »
You guys got free hot breakfast? Damn!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 08:31:57 pm »
Quote from: "guspasho"
You guys got free hot breakfast? Damn!

yup scrambled eggs bacon potatos jucie cereal milk juice doenuts muffens hhot coco
also in the evening from 5-730 pasta salad n veggies and cocktail weenies in bbq sauce and a free drink in the bar, (tho we got pop drinking n con bad)
anywho you one of forum peeps i havent met

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 08:42:46 pm »
*begins to cry like a little baby*

i re-iterate, the red lion ...sucks!
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 08:51:18 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
*begins to cry like a little baby*

i re-iterate, the red lion ...sucks!
Waaah! No don't cry!*hugs and gives a chocolate cupcake*
Secrety secrets!

Offline Druihd

• Founder
  • Cabbit
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »
We knew from the beginning that this was a horrible hotel.  But we were faced with the choice of having Kumoricon at the Red Lion, or not having one in 2006.  All of the organizers WANT to go back to the doubletree downtown.  There are circumstances outside our control.

After getting the final bill from the Red Lion, I can assure you as Treasurer, it will be a cold day in hell before we go back!

Thank you everyone, for putting up with a crappy hotel.  Negociations are almost complete for our next hotel.  I'm excited by its posibilities.
2003 Art Show Director
2004 Art Show Co-Director/Hotel Liason
2004-2007 Altonimbus/Kumoricon Treasurer
2008 Assistant-Treasurer

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 08:05:32 pm »
Quote from: "Anza"

No convention centers.
Lots of people said it at the con and I agree, we like Kumoricon at hotels casuse its more of a homey feeling.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Raccon-Faced_Keruri

• Sailor Scout
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 08:43:33 am »
I'd like the staff to communicate more about rules and stuff before the convention itself, and be absolutely positive that everyone is on the same ground.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 04:02:52 pm »
Quote from: "Raccon-Faced_Keruri"
I'd like the staff to communicate more about rules and stuff before the convention itself, and be absolutely positive that everyone is on the same ground.

Are you refering to the "no masks, no metal, no etc." rule?  That was pretty much dropped on all of us by the hotel almost a week before the convention.  From the responses I saw, it even took staff by surprise.

Offline anime_lover

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 05:47:44 pm »
Quote from: "kimiski"

No convention centers.
Lots of people said it at the con and I agree, we like Kumoricon at hotels casuse its more of a homey feeling.

Yea I agree having it in a hotel puts everyone there and it feels good to be surrounded with all of your type of people. I love having it in a hotel. I would hate it if they took it away.

Offline anime_lover

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 05:51:38 pm »
i really liked the doubletree. You didnt have to do too much walking cause it was built up and down meaning you could just take an elevator. I liked the mariott too except we didnt have very much room. The gameroom was also bigger then too. This year the game room was soooo tiny. It stinked really bad of sweat. I think we need more room for those.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 06:46:04 pm »
Quote from: "anime_lover"
i really liked the doubletree. You didnt have to do too much walking cause it was built up and down meaning you could just take an elevator. I liked the mariott too except we didnt have very much room. The gameroom was also bigger then too. This year the game room was soooo tiny. It stinked really bad of sweat. I think we need more room for those.

I don't think that had anything to do with the size. :DDD

It was said that the Doubbletree was already booked for next year. I liked it also, although, I don't remember it having lots and lots of panel rooms (Maybe I am wrong?)

Offline anime_lover

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 06:55:23 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"

It was said that the Doubbletree was already booked for next year. I liked it also, although, I don't remember it having lots and lots of panel rooms (Maybe I am wrong?)

True it will always smell of sweat but the last 2 years I didnt think were too bad...this year I couldnt even go into the gameroom for very long..

Offline ambergen87

• Sailor Scout
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 05:53:18 pm »
I felt that everything was scatterd. I didn't even know where gaming was until the near end of Saturday. *in a thoughtful posititon* "That's why I missed a lot of the panels," I thought.

I agree that the Hotel staff were rude. *catches herself* Actually, let me rephrase that *thinks for a bit* they gave off a bad vibe.
Randomness is good for the soul.

The swag lady.

Cosplay for Kumoricon 2011:
Saturday: Lolita
Sunday: Seychelles
Monday: Catgirl Schoolgirl

Friday: Random yukata girl
Sat: Don't know
Sun: Don't know
Mon: Raine from Final Fantasy VIII

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 11:32:46 pm »
I had a 75% success rate when dealing with the hotel staff. The problems I had with them were all second hand, when I spoke to them I had very good luck. I was able to get plenty of copies for Pocky Club, we ended up getting about 60 delivery forms from the people at the front desk and they never asked for a dime! Even when it broke one of their machines!

In fact the only time that the video rooms in my hall (near Programming) got locked up on time was when I went up to ask them about it. Every other time they got shut about 2 or 3 hours late!

I think we can all agree that the other hotel GUESTS were worse than the hotel staff.

As far as navigation, I wish that I'd thought to make more copies of my Pocky club map. Each year I make a map of the hotel for personal reference and this year I even had it color coded. Hopefully by next year I'll have my website refined enough to actually show it to everybody before the con starts.

Now, about the convention center. Sure there'd be plenty of room and the hotels are nearby but that's TWO contracts to negotiate instead of one. We saw the problems that can arrise because of contracts this year (the wedding) and I'd rather see less of them rather than more. Also we don't have enough people to afford the convention center right now. If I recall the numbers correctly we'll need about 1500 more attendees before the convention center becomes a real option. This will happen eventually, but we'll likely have to wait a two or three years. Until then it's hotels.

On a personal note, a convention outside of a hotel loses a bit of charm. The Comic-con International and the Star Wars Celebrations both used convention centers with a couple of shuttle buses for the affiliated hotels. Having to commute is a bother that causes hassles for attendees (imagine  missing a panel, not because of registration, but because of TRAFFIC!) as well as staff! Though there are hotels with direct access (tunnels or skybridges) to their convention centers I don't think we're one of them.
There's a greater likelyhood of other things being booked there or being booked at the hotels since we wouldn't be taking up the entire space. Finally, working with the convention centers means that about 30% more staff need to be involved since the operations centers are either going to be inaccessible when the con shuts down, or they're going to be off site. It does cut down on security needs though! The entire con space just gets locked up every night.

It'll be a bittersweet victory when the con grows to that level of success, for me at least. I have a funny feeling that we'll be moving from hotel to hotel until we're big enough to warrant the convention center.

Mmmmm...... woudln't it be awesome to have a few Jrock concerts over at the collesium, scheduled in tandem with the convention at the Center? That'd be yummy, and very hard to coordinate with the Japanese record labels.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 03:56:23 pm »

the shriners had it booked over a year inadavance
darn you shriners!!
ooo jrock plkz gackt sama

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 01:35:51 am »

No convention centers.

As lovely as that sounds, I doubt that's the basis for the staff keeping Kumori at hotels.
Sakura Con's first year at a con center was this year, and as much as I (and many of my friends) loved the Hilton it had been at the past several years, the time comes when cons outgrow hotels.

So I really believe right now, it's a matter of the convention center being too huge and costing too much money for a small con, and the hotels being more reasonable.

Though I absolutely prefer a convention at a hotel. I love small cons, too.

--Time for me to post my complaint about the hotel. I know I said it in another thread, so you'll have to excuse me:
My brother and I were starving Sunday night, around 5:30, and we decided to go to Shenanagins. They weren't busy, which looked good for us, so we went and stood by the podium. There was no host; he had just helped a couple before us. But we stood there about 5 minutes, and plenty of waitstaff walked by--no one said a word to us. It was agitating, and it really felt like poor customer service. Needless to say, we left and had dinner with friends at Taco Bell.
I say this coming from a foodservice background, where we don't make ANY customer wait for service, and if there's some durastic reason that we have to, we at least communicate this to the customer.
It was rude. x_x

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 07:19:06 am »
Quote from: "SephiChan"

No convention centers.

As lovely as that sounds, I doubt that's the basis for the staff keeping Kumori at hotels.
Sakura Con's first year at a con center was this year, and as much as I (and many of my friends) loved the Hilton it had been at the past several years, the time comes when cons outgrow hotels.

So I really believe right now, it's a matter of the convention center being too huge and costing too much money for a small con, and the hotels being more reasonable.

Though I absolutely prefer a convention at a hotel. I love small cons, too.

--Time for me to post my complaint about the hotel. I know I said it in another thread, so you'll have to excuse me:
My brother and I were starving Sunday night, around 5:30, and we decided to go to Shenanagins. They weren't busy, which looked good for us, so we went and stood by the podium. There was no host; he had just helped a couple before us. But we stood there about 5 minutes, and plenty of waitstaff walked by--no one said a word to us. It was agitating, and it really felt like poor customer service. Needless to say, we left and had dinner with friends at Taco Bell.
I say this coming from a foodservice background, where we don't make ANY customer wait for service, and if there's some durastic reason that we have to, we at least communicate this to the customer.
It was rude. x_x

Where you in costume?
That might be the basis of their ignoring you, if you were. Ruki/Princess, Jade and this kid that we had bought for 10 bucks and I all went to the resurant in non-cosplay (but a little weird, you know, "normal") clothing and we got a table. :( They had really good creamy potato soup and I'm sorry you couldn't get a table. Maybe you should have asked one of the wait staff if there were any tables open to hint that you wanted to be seated.

Offline SephiChan

• Sailor Scout
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 09:50:03 pm »

Where you in costume?
That might be the basis of their ignoring you, if you were. Ruki/Princess, Jade and this kid that we had bought for 10 bucks and I all went to the resurant in non-cosplay (but a little weird, you know, "normal") clothing and we got a table. :( They had really good creamy potato soup and I'm sorry you couldn't get a table. Maybe you should have asked one of the wait staff if there were any tables open to hint that you wanted to be seated.

Yeah, I was in costume, my brother wasn't. I had a feeling that was the reason they ignored us, but I didn't think they'd be that shallow. And, the only reason I didn't say anything was because I thought that was their job, and I didn't want to feel like I should have to ask -them- to seat -me- when I'm the one paying. x-x Just an iffy experience.

Offline SunneyTehBunney

• Sailor Scout
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2007, 03:52:06 pm »
*random complaint*

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the fact that this hotel is so expensive?

Well HARDY HAR! Just one block down the street is a motel that is 75$ a night, just letting you all know. That's where I'll be staying :3

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2007, 08:29:40 pm »
Hotels with enough space for a convention (especially one our size...) are always going to be expensive to stay in. That is just how things work with conventions. Yes you can stay at a hotel further away, but the way I see it..you then have to travel to the convention, no matter how far it isl That's about the only thing I dislike about Sakura-con..and that's barely any travel (from hotel to convention center) at all <.<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2007, 08:54:56 am »
Quote from: "SunneyTehBunney"
*random complaint*

Well HARDY HAR! Just one block down the street is a motel that is 75$ a night, just letting you all know. That's where I'll be staying :3

Have you TRIED their beds?! It's so worth it X3
It's hard being pinq.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 10:06:52 am »
Quote from: "SunneyTehBunney"
*random complaint*

Please let us know if you think we should hold Kumoricon at this motel. But in my experience a motel doesn't have space for holding events of any kind.

There are very few hotels in Oregon that are capable of hosting an event of our size (estimated attendance of 3000+ people in 2007) and we've been to all of them. (If you can think of any others by all means let me know.) 2004 - Downtown Mariott, 2005 - DoubleTree Lloyd Center, 2006 - Red Lion Jantzen Beach, 2007 - Hilton at the Vancouver Convention Center. We have to consider more than simply room rates, and there are few enough options available that can meet all our needs as it is.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:22 am »
the only real solution is for K con and other nerd cons to get together and buy the closed Thunderbird Hotel on Jantzen Beach.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 11:42:07 am »
question!!! question!!!!

whats the differnce between a motel and a hotel? or a inn for that matter? i know a b& b you get food an they spendy

oh i would like to vote we have next k-con at inn  of the last home or the golden saucer..oo or the over look!!!!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2007, 08:48:30 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
question!!! question!!!!
whats the differnce between a motel and a hotel? or a inn for that matter? i know a b& b you get food an they spendy
oh i would like to vote we have next k-con at inn  of the last home or the golden saucer..oo or the over look!!!!

Motels (or "motor hotels" as they were originally called) are places to stay that have all the doors facing out to the parking lot. Typically they are the least expensive, have very few amenities (and they count "color TV" and "air conditioning" as amenities!), and are meant for use by the traveller who just wants a bed for the night. Part of the cheapness of the motels is that they don't bother to keep them particularly clean and occasionally (especially in seedier parts of a city) there are additional 6-legged "guests" (bugs!) in the room with you. Motels are looked upon as one step better than camping

A hotel has more amenities - pool, business center, exercise room, restaurants, meeting rooms - and is often classier than a motel. Yes, it's more expensive, but part of what you're paying for is the luxury. Hotels are expected to be nicer than home... Yes, some hotels are icky, but typically hotels that are big enough to host a convention are rather nice. For some people the hotel room may be one of the nicest places they've visited...hotels often belong to large chains (ie: Hilton) owned by stockholders.

Inns originally always had places to leave your horse (in fact, that was part of the definition...however, since few people regularly use horses for transportation, the inns today now only have to ensure there's a parking space for your car). Inns typically are family owned, and rarely belong to any kind of chain. They tend to cost a little more than low end hotels  (but less than high-end hotels), but are somewhat nicer than the low-end hotels as it feels more like you're staying over with your cousins rather than in a hotel / motel. Meals may or may not be included, and more than likely the bathroom is in a room up the hall rather than in your room...

B&Bs are also typically family run and it usually means you get a bed to sleep in and breakfast in the morning. sometimes they do offer dinner, but not always. B&Bs sometimes are even just simply a room for rent in someone's house...prices vary depending upon where they are.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2007, 09:29:27 am »
Wow. Thanks, Runa.

The more you know...
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 02:17:15 pm »
Quote from: "Vondan"
the only real solution is for K con and other nerd cons to get together and buy the closed Thunderbird Hotel on Jantzen Beach.

And then we start rumors that it's haunted.

And THEN we invite the guys from Ghost Hunters over for the haunted convention....

Best idea ever.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Hotel Complaints
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:20 pm »
Quote from: "valliegirl"
Quote from: "Vondan"

And then we start rumors that it's haunted.

And THEN we invite the guys from Ghost Hunters over for the haunted convention....

Best idea ever.

Yeah I bet those ghost hunters are nerdy (for plumbers) maybe we can get them to cosplay as Mario and Luigi and the rest of us can cosplay from Ghost Busters (the movie and the unrelated TV Show) and Gost in the shell.
Field Marshall Von Dan