Author Topic: Lots of non-posters  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:51:18 am »
I was roaming around the memberlist & found something interesting, in a bad way.

We have 880 members on these forums who have never made a post!  That's about 46% of our members!  Some have been around since May, & maybe even earlier than that!

Does anyone else care, or do I sound like the crazy man?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:02:05 pm »
I care, a great deal. Most of them are banned spammers. Almost all the 0 posts are. I look at the new registrations every time I log in and determine which ones are spammers, and ban any I find. I ban them instead of delete them because otherwise I have no way to track trends, and I don't have a way to hide banned members from the memberlist.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 04:14:53 pm »
I wish we could upgrade to SMF with the built in auto update blacklist.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »
And just so you know Wash... you are a crazy man...but we <3 our crazies... yay crazies!!!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:48:32 pm »
Quote from: "kylite"
I wish we could upgrade to SMF with the built in auto update blacklist.

I'm working on it! Updating permissions is a huge pain.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:39 pm »
phpBB needs to get some better anti-spam OCRs or something. It's ridiculous. I constantly have to remove bots from my forum. 90% of them never post. They just sign up for an account and have a link in their profile, thus building up their back links for search engine relevance.

Not only that, but I've tried banning based on e-mails before. Banned all of .ru. Doesn't work. Actually, it works, but only if you use a web browser to try and sign up. For some reason whatever automated scripts the bots use bypass it completely.

Best method to get past that is to set an invisible variable in the registration page. If it doesn't get passed to the next page, then it's because the page was never viewed. Most bots just POST their data with no regard to what the actual registration page says.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:52:32 am »
Real users don't have the option to input anything in their website and signature fields when they sign up. Sufficiently dumb bots won't realize the registration form has been altered to prevent it, and when they try to submit that data their registration just gets ignored. Since the mod that implemented this has no way to track how many registrations have been stopped by this I don't know how effective this has been.

As far as I can tell it's impossible to ban a whole TLD like .ru, though I would love to ban all of .ru and all of .info, phpBB won't accept *@*.ru or simply *.ru as a valid argument for banning by email address.

I have a few other tricks in place, but it's getting to the point where the bots are catching on and I don't have the resources to be adding more and more anti-spam mods every couple of months (or even weeks!) to keep up. Hopefully some of the changes with the upcoming new forums will help (a new URL, and a new board type, SMF, which comes with better user management, for example.)
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:36:01 am »
Quote from: "babysugarbear28"
And just so you know Wash... you are a crazy man...but we <3 our crazies... yay crazies!!!

Thanks, 28! :)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 11:37:17 am »
Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually a spambot.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Lots of non-posters
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:40:02 pm »
i dont like spam but it wasthe longest time before i saw it on k forums and i been on here since they started
and the meat sucks
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids