Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 352556 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2007, 09:42:03 am »
I'm watching Jim Gaffigan do stand-up comedy. He's one of the funniest stand-up comics I know of. Him, and Mitch Hedberg (r.i.p.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2007, 11:10:35 am »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
I'm watching Jim Gaffigan do stand-up comedy. He's one of the funniest stand-up comics I know of. Him, and Mitch Hedberg (r.i.p.)

Eve, You should go to the library and see if they've got DVDs of Eddie Izzard and Bill Hicks for some great stand-up.  Also, David Cross.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #252 on: June 22, 2007, 12:25:16 pm »
Ah, thanks for the suggestions. David Cross is another person who I totally spaced on, but think is really funny.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2007, 03:51:25 pm »
Currently watching Fate/Stay/Night. Just finished Speed Grapher, which wasn't too bad, but not truly memorable either. Watched the Highlander, which I guess as it has a Japanese director, and Japanese staff, could be considered anime. Of these Fate Stay Night is the best.
Have Fun

Jay

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2007, 04:38:41 pm »
Quote from: "jaybug"
Currently watching Fate/Stay/Night. Just finished Speed Grapher, which wasn't too bad, but not truly memorable either. Watched the Highlander, which I guess as it has a Japanese director, and Japanese staff, could be considered anime. Of these Fate Stay Night is the best.

I heard somewhere that F/S/N was originally an H-Game before it got made into an anime?  Any truth to this?

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
What are you watching?
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2007, 05:48:10 pm »
Currently watching Gintama.  I love how how the main character is always reading Shonen Jump and referencing bleach.  Like his comment "Hmmm I could use that Bankai."

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:41 pm »
I just got done watching the last ep of Death Note...gah!  :cry:

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
What are you watching?
« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2007, 11:13:45 pm »
Watching House after everyone talking about it
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
What are you watching?
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2007, 08:37:51 am »
I just started watching the old 90s X-Men cartoon again. Good stuff.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #259 on: July 05, 2007, 05:51:28 pm »
Pi; F/S/N was a game, but what kind, I don't know. As you watch the anime, it does play as if it could be again, then you find out it was a game first, and it explains the why they do what they do to tell the story.

Watching Kannazuki No Hiko now, and it took a few episodes for me to begin to enjoy it. The first two episodes were so similar, I couldn't understand why they had two episodes. This is the second series I have been exposed to Orochi, the 8 necked evil god, but this time he comes back as 8 separate mechas! Oh Boy! I'd give it a C. Average.
Have Fun

Jay

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »
I'm watching the 2007 series of Doctor Who.  When I'm done with this, I'll have to wait another six months for the Christmas special!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2007, 09:12:26 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Mustash"
Quote from: "laurifer"
I just got done watching the last ep of Death Note...gah!  :cry:

The ending was sooooo sad!

Shhh! >w< Don't wanna spoil for others ~

Anyway, I recently watched TransAmerica... X3

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
What are you watching?
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2007, 09:13:17 pm »
I've watched a couple of eps of Girl's Bravo. Kind of odd, not sure if it's good yet...

That and tons of house, good times.
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2007, 10:32:20 pm »
Currently watching "Downtown no gaki no tsukai ya arahende!!"!! You don't really need to know Japanese (it'll help) but it's hilarious!!! I showed some clips to my parents and they were cracking up so bad lol

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2007, 03:39:20 pm »
I just recently bought a copy of Cutey Honey, the live action movie.  I also got 3x3 Eyes.  I forgot how bloody that was.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2007, 05:14:38 pm »
Checked out Edward Scissorhands from the library - going to watch it with my little brother. XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2007, 10:44:22 pm »
Quote from: "totemo_oishii"
Checked out Edward Scissorhands from the library - going to watch it with my little brother. XD

Have you never seen it before? *potential gasp*

Hope you dig it, I do!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2007, 11:00:41 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
Quote from: "totemo_oishii"

Have you never seen it before? *potential gasp*

Hope you dig it, I do!

Little Totemo is probably not even as old as the film!

On topic, I watched the first ten episodes of Galaxy Angel tonight (they're short episodes).  It's kinda meh.  I think the sequels are supposed to be much better.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #268 on: July 08, 2007, 07:03:10 am »
So lately I have been bitten by the nostalgia bug, for I have been watching stuff I grew up with, such as Kenan & Kel, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Freakazoid and The Adventures of Pete & Pete. Great stuff, great wave of nostalgia, and more to come. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2007, 07:23:36 am »
I've only seen the very end of it on TV. >w<

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2007, 07:35:39 am »
I've only seen the very end of it on TV. >w<

Oooh, well yeah. If you're a Johnny Depp or Tim Burton fan, you'll love it. It is pretty much a modern fairytale. I can't think of a more suburb-meets-fantasy clash, and it works so well.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2007, 04:40:46 pm »
Let me hope to get the spelling correct; Utawarerumono, looks about right. Anyway, got to watch the first two discs of this series. I like this. A neat look at historical Japan, without people being too human, which might get in the way of a good story, you know? Some people have puppy dog tails, some have wings. And there is no Red Bull to get them either!

It's an exercise in Feudality! One for you Mustach!

I really like the story, and the animation is top notch. And the DVD disc isn't such a pain in the hind quarters to wade through.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2007, 05:41:49 pm »
Currently I'm watching Inukami

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2007, 09:19:52 pm »
I started watching Hellsing and so far I really like it.

And in the past few days I watched the first 4 episodes of Paranoia Agent, Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Howl's Moving Castle. I am getting my anime-virgin roommate addicted. It's great to see them come along, haha.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Rukia School Uniform - Bleach
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline manekineko

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviant
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2007, 03:41:32 am »
I started watching Hellsing and so far I really like it.

And in the past few days I watched the first 4 episodes of Paranoia Agent, Akira, Ninja Scroll, and Howl's Moving Castle. I am getting my anime-virgin roommate addicted. It's great to see them come along, haha.

Excelent... bringing more people to the Dark Side... *evil laugh*

Yes. She liked Paranoia Agent so much that she is going to buy the next one because she wants to know what happens. It's great.
Absolute '07 Cosplay
Rukia School Uniform - Bleach
Android 18 - DBZ
Kairi - KH2
I think, haha...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #275 on: July 10, 2007, 08:44:46 pm »
Got The second disc of Haruhi Suzumiya yesterday in the mail. That show has me more engaged now, then after the first disc.

On another note, to me, the end song did something to me emotionally. It made me feel good for having watched the show. I think that it really adds to the whole experience of watching the show.

The opening song to Azumanga Daioh does the same thing for me, plus it's a catchier tune to me. lu la lu
Have Fun

Jay

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #276 on: July 10, 2007, 08:46:55 pm »
la lu
2008 Facilities Liaison

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2007, 12:21:46 pm »
I can't think of a more suburb-meets-fantasy clash, and it works so well.

I read in an interview with Burton many years ago, that the suburbs in the film represent Valencia, CA, and the castle on the hill is a stand in for Cal Arts, which towers above the town on a plateau. 

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2007, 05:25:01 pm »
I can't think of a more suburb-meets-fantasy clash, and it works so well.

I read in an interview with Burton many years ago, that the suburbs in the film represent Valencia, CA, and the castle on the hill is a stand in for Cal Arts, which towers above the town on a plateau. 

Interesting. I can believe it, though I'd hope the movie's rendition was exaggerated. I'd hate to see a suburb that is so pastel-oriented in the real world.

Oh, and I'm currently watching a cutscene from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2007, 06:36:49 pm »
Watched Fate Stay Night disc 4 last night. I ate it up.

Going to start watching Galaxy Railways tonight.

I got a Wedding Peach disc 1, when I bought 009-1 from ADV. 009 was ok, but it wasn't for me. Is Wedding Peach worth viewing to you?
Have Fun

Jay

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:15 am »
Ok, I did some homework and found out, via wikipedia that Fate Stay Night did indeed begin life as an eroge, or erotic game.  It was basically a choose-your-own-adventure interactive dating sim. 

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2007, 11:46:51 am »
The first episode of Higurashi no naku koro ni kai came out Friday! I've been watching it a lot >.> Over and over and over....
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #282 on: July 12, 2007, 03:37:24 pm »
The first episode of Higurashi no naku koro ni kai came out Friday! I've been watching it a lot >.> Over and over and over....

Came out on DVD?  I downloaded the whole series over a month ago but I just haven't gotten around to watching it.  I'm glad to hear it's good.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #283 on: July 12, 2007, 04:32:52 pm »

Came out on DVD?  I downloaded the whole series over a month ago but I just haven't gotten around to watching it.  I'm glad to hear it's good.

It's the second season because the first part didn't cover all of it. It's awesome though! You'll probably like it since you're into psychological kinds of anime :3
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #284 on: July 13, 2007, 11:26:48 pm »

It's the second season because the first part didn't cover all of it. It's awesome though! You'll probably like it since you're into psychological kinds of anime :3
Ooooh, you know me well boogiepop! 

Meanwhile, I watched the first four eps of Kamichu this week, and I was ready to pre-order it after one.  My copy of the complete collection is on order, though it won't ship for some time.  It's rare that I'll order something without seeing the whole series first, but this one is nothing short of spectacular.  Of course, if you don't like slow moving slice-of-life shows, you may not agree. 

Anime News Network's review described as being "Spirited Away, the TV" and that's pretty much spot-on.  Yurie, the main character, reminds me a lot of Chihiro.  The show also pays remarkable attention to detail in the art and scenery.  I was amazed at the accuracy of the architecture of the shrines and homes.  They are not just generic buildings, but obviously very carefully observed from actual locations, such that the astute viewer could identify the exact age of the shrine in the show, give or take a hundred years! (It looks a bit like this one, or this one)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2007, 12:41:08 pm »
I've been watching a lot of Sailor Moon and Super Gals season 1. Girly? Can't get much more girly than that, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2007, 04:35:14 pm »
Watched The Galaxy Railways this weekend. Ok, at first I thought after an episode or two, "oh no, not another Gundam" but than it got better, much better. Aside from not having major continuity flaws as does Gundam, it actually builds to something. Something that makes sense. Now, while most people have a time imagining a railway in space, especially one that uses the old steam locomotives, after a bit, I started imagining that somehow they were using that power, I dunno, it started seeming not quite so ridiculously impossible, until someone opened the window on the train in outer space.

I liked the one extra they included in a couple of the discs, they had video of the original VA's (voice actors for Mr. Mustach!) as they were recording the anime. It was certainly more interesting than what they do here in America alone in a box.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #287 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:02 am »
I'm watching! nothing....cause my free cable exploded :c ???

it is sad time for Lily U_U
Someday...I'll get around to you.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #288 on: July 19, 2007, 10:57:58 am »
I've now watched 3/4 of Kamichu.  I'm glad to report that the level of writing and production values haven't declined since disk one.  It looks like my boxed set will ship from Amazon in late September. 

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #289 on: July 19, 2007, 06:32:10 pm »
I am watching Desert Punk now. This is not what makes me an anime fan. It has too much a a large breast fixation, and centers around this dirt bag whose only saving grace is that he is the best at desert combat.
It does have its' moments, but they are not close enough together to stitch this series up well.
If you are a "gun nut" you will appreciate how the creators did their best to demonstrate the capabilities of the weapons used accurately. If you are anti-gun, you will be outraged. "Guns are tools."
The stories are episodic in nature, they do not follow a story arc. Which in this instance is a good thing.
Have Fun

Jay

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #290 on: July 19, 2007, 06:38:31 pm »
Guns don't kill people.  Bullets do.

Or, as Chris Rock puts it...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2007, 08:36:35 pm »
Finished Desert Punk. Whew!

Watched Starship Operators. I didn't really look to closely when I put this series in my queue, so it was a pleasant surprise when I started watching it. I think I ran through the discs straight through. I really enjoyed watching this series. But if you don't like war in any form, don't watch this. People die here.

Watching this series has given me a lot of hope for David Weber's Mutineer's Moon that ADV is working on with Production I.G. I can see this series of books, and Weber's Honor Harrington series, as Anime now, whereas before I was unsure.

I have now started watching Mermaid Forest. Once you get over the fact that mermaids don't exist, it doesn't take too long to almost believe that everywhere you turn mermaids are popping up all over the place. I wonder if one of the characters was lifted from Urasei Yatsura? She looks the same. The omnipresent mermaids aside, this is not a bad anime to watch.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2007, 10:19:44 pm »
I've been meaning to check Mermaid Forest out for quite some time now. Good to hear a positive recommendation for it. ^_^ Pretty interesting concept, mmm mermaid flesh....lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #293 on: July 24, 2007, 08:51:10 pm »
Geneon had a bunch of titles for sale, so I bought a bunch. One of the titles of a show I hadn't seen was Kyo Kara Maoh.

I started watching this last night. I was a little worried that it would be too "gay" as someone had said something to the effect. Ok, so it is a little gay, but it is a very good anime. I am enjoying watching this. I may even not wait until I have no movies from Netflix to watch more episodes.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2007, 05:12:08 pm »
I just watched "The Last Unicorn" today. 

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2007, 05:23:59 pm »
haha, I need to watch that again. I bought it for my sis for her birthday, but I should probably give it a spin.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2007, 10:10:36 pm »
Watched Starship Operators.
Watched & Enjoyed that as well. Unfortunately, if you read a lot of D. Weber especially Honor Harrington or Lt. Leary, you can predict the outcome (and the winner) of the Starship Operators battles so far in advance that much of the plot tension dissipated for me. However, I did like that the characters were college age and up, which for a starship, makes a little more sense than say, 'Nadesico' with Hoshino Ruri, the ship's ELEVEN-yr old four-striper.

Watching this series has given me a lot of hope for David Weber's Mutineer's Moon that ADV is working on with Production I.G. I can see this series of books, and Weber's Honor Harrington series, as Anime now, whereas before I was unsure.
Shameless and Obligatory AMV plug:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=15719

Recently finished 'Death Note,' 'Today in Class 5-2,' 'Souko no STRAIN,' and 'Zegapain.' I found 'Zegapain to be MUCH more engaging than '.hack//SIGN' - imagine real gaming action, plus the main character loses touch with which 'side' is reality - and which characters are controlling which. What if you had reason to believe that Mimiru, Bear, Suzuki, et al were REAL beings, who made you & your classmate get up and go to school ... ?

Now enjoying 'Seto no Hanayome' for its overdone Yakuza situations, as much cheezy-fun as those ancient Quinn-Martin detective shows in their own day. Busting a gut on 'Lucky Star,' and 'Master of Epic: The Animation Age.'
Trudging through 'Bleach,' 'Sakugan no Shana,' and 'Red Garden.'

Oh well, back to making the Contest OP!

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2007, 03:08:09 am »
I've been trying to finish watching My Hime but sadly the disk i got is trying to crash my comp everytime i use it :(

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2007, 09:22:50 am »
(((Sugarbear)))  Hugs!  I haven't seen you in quite a while!

O/T, I finished Kamichu! last night.  There's nothing not to like about this show, unless you hate romance and slice-of-life stories.  In conclusion, the best description of the series is that it's what you'd get if you blended elements of Spirited Away with Whisper of the Heart, and made a 16 episode series out of it.  I can't wait till my box set arrives in September. 

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #299 on: August 01, 2007, 03:58:48 pm »
Since my last post, I've started watching Stellvia of the Universe.  I really like this show, but at times the dialogue seems a bit tedious.  It might be better on the sub, but I really like the Geneon's cast of English VA's so I'm watching the dub.