Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 359780 times)

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 11:13:31 pm »
I just finished ep 4 of Kokoro Library, and the jury's still out on this one.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:10 pm »
I finished watching Ouran a couple days ago.  On the whole, the show was quite satisfying and entertaining, but ultimately somewhat forgetable.  The character of Haruhi lacked dynamism, and was almost totally bereft of a sense of humor.  I did find the visual style really appealing, with Azumanga Daioh style character art superimposed over Utena backgrounds (seriously, a pink clocktower? WTF!?).  On the whole, a good show, but it really doesn't compare well to shows like Azumanga and Furuba.

Offline Cherry

• Sailor Scout
    • DeviantART
What are you watching?
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 12:58:17 pm »
I agree with a definate lack of development with Haruhi's character, i mean i felt that you got to see other sides of her, but i felt that if the series had continued that there could have been so much MORE to her, and some of the others too. Oh Ouran why did you end D:

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »
The manga of Ouran High School Host Club actually goes farther than the anime, which might be why it feels the anime stopped abruptly. :/ That's just a guess.
I also think Haruhi's character is like that because the host club is so over the top. XD (in a good way of course)

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2007, 11:46:42 pm »
Host Club was good, but not good enough to re-watch.  I just don't think it has the shelf life of something like Azumanga Daioh.  Seriously, Haruhi has no personality.  It's hard to cheer for a character that's always irritated.

Tohru Honda may not have been all that bright, but at least she was capable of showing more than one emotion, and had a sense of humor.  I'm beginning to notice that original screenplays are (with some exceptions) generally far more watchable and have better, more concise plot arcs compared to anime which are based on pre-existing manga. This is clearly a problem which plagued Host Club.

Offline Disco Pete

• Cabbit
What are you watching?
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2007, 12:02:46 am »
I'm not watching much at the moment.  Borrowing Kino's Journey from a friend, but haven't had time to finish it yet (I'm as far as the episode where she meets Hermes).  I'm also watching Eureka 7 on the Adult Swim, because I got a thing for robots that surf in the sky.

I was watching the show with the other Haruhi, but not anymore.  Waiting for the DVDs.  Better be in broadcast order.

Been spending most my time reading some of my older manga, actually.
~Disco Pete~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 03:38:32 am »
I've accumulated the first couple volumes of Saiyuki lately (finally), so I have been working my way through those. But, I'll say that most of my viewing time has been spent on The Boondocks. Dag-yo, I love this show! It's really one of the most outstanding anime I have watched in a long long time. Mainly because it is soooooo very different in almost every way from typical anime (plot, character, setting wise, etc.). Yeah, I have watched through it at least six or seven times in the past week. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2007, 12:44:27 pm »
I loved the Trial of R Kelly episode.  "I woulda just moved outta the way"

Offline Daidouji

• Sailor Scout
What are you watching?
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2007, 08:04:01 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
I've accumulated the first couple volumes of Saiyuki lately (finally), so I have been working my way through those. But, I'll say that most of my viewing time has been spent on The Boondocks. Dag-yo, I love this show! It's really one of the most outstanding anime I have watched in a long long time. Mainly because it is soooooo very different in almost every way from typical anime (plot, character, setting wise, etc.). Yeah, I have watched through it at least six or seven times in the past week. ^_^

ahaha! yes yes, I agree this is a great series. ^^
Kumoricon 07- Rena *Higurashi no Naku Koro ni*
Sakuracon 07-Kaoru *Ouran High School Host Club*
Kumoricon 08-Sakura *Cardcaptor Sakura*
Sakuracon 08- Haruhi Suzumiya

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »
heh, great. I'm glad other people like it too. I just watched "The Itis" a little while ago.

"A beef patty wrapped in cheese, covered in onions, topped with five strips of bacon and sandwiched between two donuts!"

"Granpa, you can't serve this to people! It'll cause........death."

^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Daidouji

• Sailor Scout
What are you watching?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2007, 10:10:07 pm »
OMGeez! You're getting me in the mood to watch those dvd's. I'm glad i bought those when i had the chance. ^^ *goes off and watches the boondocks*
Kumoricon 07- Rena *Higurashi no Naku Koro ni*
Sakuracon 07-Kaoru *Ouran High School Host Club*
Kumoricon 08-Sakura *Cardcaptor Sakura*
Sakuracon 08- Haruhi Suzumiya

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007, 08:29:17 am »
haha, yesss!!

Goal accomplished.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007, 12:33:42 pm »
Recently I've started watching some Trigun for ol' times sake.

Also I have one more Full Metal Alchemist DVD to go before I'm done with the series. ^^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
fruits basket!!!, it was kb and i anaversery this weekend and he bought me the whole series!!! he so sweet!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2007, 01:36:19 pm »
I've recently been watching Bleach. I'm on episode 40-something. Yeah, I like it so far. The fight scenes are awesome and so is the humor. Kon wa totemo omoshiroi to kawaii. ^^ I'm slowly becoming a Bleach fan.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2007, 05:35:26 pm »
i watched 'puni puni poemy' ... again. i can't get over how bizarre it is. *__*

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
What are you watching?
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2007, 07:14:39 pm »
Nothing at the moment.
Though I'm trying to catch up on Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
I started on it, then somehow forgot about it and watched something else.
I really want to finish it.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
What are you watching?
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2007, 01:35:52 pm »
I use to love zoids!!!, atm there is a soap opera on in the background, I am dying inside.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline cupcake_abuser_zooshi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DA
What are you watching?
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2007, 06:04:12 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Mustash"
I just finished watching the first episode of Azumanga Daioh. It is really kinda random... guess i'll just have to watch more!
I, personally, think the manga is much better, but the anime's alright.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007, 06:36:59 pm »
The manga is on my list of stuff to get to reading, but I absolutely love the anime. Yes, it is random and a bit weird, but it is those quirky characters that make the show, in my opinion. By the end, I am sad to have to leave the characters, they are all just so cute and lovable!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2007, 07:40:14 pm »
has anyone read yotsuba&? it's by the same creator of azumanga daioh, and it's ultra cute. i love it to pieces. ♥

speaking of, i cosplayed tomo last year!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 08:06:20 pm »
Quote from: "totemo_oishii"

Offline CardCaptorConnor-EX

• Sailor Scout
What are you watching?
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17:19 am »
has anyone read yotsuba&? it's by the same creator of azumanga daioh, and it's ultra cute. i love it to pieces. ♥

'Waves hand in the air' I have!!!  And I love it to pieces too.  I'm mad at ADV though...they aren't releasing Vol. 4 until spring this year.  Why does that suck?  Because it's about a year and a half after it came out in Japan.  Sigh.  But I guess ADV couldn't help it, they were having extreme manga trouble.  
But then my Japanese teacher lent it to me! ^_^  And it's easy to understand because Yotsuba talks really simply! ^_^
Watashi wa iroppoi wo motekuru.

But you probably already knew that.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2007, 07:44:32 pm »
i bought that manga for my half sister for christmas, i havent seen her since she was a baby and she's 11 now so i hope if i buy her manga then we'll have somthing in commen and can have a relationship..
think it will work, i hope so...

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2007, 12:53:15 pm »
at the moment, i'm watching "the end of evangelion".

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:28 pm »
at the moment, i'm watching "the end of evangelion".

E of E is good, I really liked it.  If you're interested in further extrapolation of the story, check out Evangelion R.  It's a massive, sprawling fanfic, mostly well-written (by fanfic standards - most of 'em are crap).   This one also seems to be endorsed by Tiffany Grant which is an indication of its quality.

Last night, I watched My Beautiful Girl Mari.  It was visually amazing, and had a storyline somewhere between Place Promised in Our Early Years, and Whisper of the Heart.  Mari has a visual style like nothing I've seen before, and I really like it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 05:26:03 pm »
Among everything else I'm working my way through, I just added "Boogiepop Phantom" to my collection, so I'm watching that, and it is crazy, really crazy....whew, madness, yo.

But I really like it, it is the only real horror/creepy anime I have seen, besides the earlier mentioned "Requiem from the Darkness", which is also crazy. Anyone like horror, I suggest these titles.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2007, 05:26:48 pm »
I Just watched "The Place Promised in our Early Years" a few days ago. I was amazed by the story line and the visuals. They were quite stunning!

Yeah, I loved it too.  It made me all weepy.  It's predecessor, Voices of a Distant Star, was very similar, but with all that intensity packed into a mere 30 minutes.

Also, I just finished reading chapters 1 & 2 of Kaoru Mori's moé maid manga, Shirly Madison.  Does anybody know if the series is going to be continued?  I really like it.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
What are you watching?
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2007, 09:17:40 am »
Well, I'm not watching Death Note since it got licensed. I'm downloading Emma now and watching Heroes on TV since the show is back.

I will also be watching Dr. Who as soon as it starts back up. I'm trying to schedule one show a night for my apartment.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:44 am »
Tom, we're on the same schedule, it seems.  I just watched the first three episodes of the new Doctor Who, and OMG is it awesome!  It still has the same feel as the Dr. Who I grew up watching in the early 80's, even though it uses CG instead of Styrofoam for the effects.  Yay BBC! Best network evar!

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
What are you watching?
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38:28 am »
The Price is Right - Need I say more? Bob Barker is nothing less than a demi-god. It'll be a sad, cold, lonely and dark day when he leave the show... But apparently he's going to this year ;_;
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2007, 04:18:32 pm »
If any of you want to watch a good, one-episode OVA, i recommend Pale Cocoon. Its only 30min but its really good, and packed full of symbolism.

Wow, the ANN entry makes it look pretty compelling.  I'll add it to my cue.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2007, 04:27:05 pm »
i watched 'an inconvenient truth' in class today. hmmm.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2007, 04:36:59 pm »
Well, what did you think?  It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but still, it was a very good presentation.  I wish I could be as optimistic as Al.  I don't foresee the kind of action we need being taken with sufficient speed to prevent irreparable harm from being done.

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2007, 05:11:18 pm »
i agree, he presented it pretty well. honestly, i was a little alarmed that those things might happen in the next 50 years ...

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2007, 10:43:57 am »
The other day I saw the weirdest, most hilarious, and horrifying anime I have ever seen in my life.

The anime is called "Mind Game."

It was like someone took the writers from FLCL, got them drunk, spun them around for an hour, gave them a typewriter, and said "Come up with a story."  I could summarize the story but it would make even less sense then.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2007, 01:44:50 pm »
I recently finished re-watching Eva again.  I am now even more convinced that the last two episodes are perhaps the best and most important 44 minutes of anime ever made.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
What are you watching?
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2007, 03:34:44 pm »
I dunno about most important, or even best really. And Evangelion is th only anime I've managed to collect all of.

While the finale does go deep into the psyche and engage the viewer in a philosophy of inner truth of the societal self (and maybe consensual reality versus Truth), there's a lot of issues that it doesn't deal with and it really just shows one viewpoint on what they are addressing directly.

Plus you have to argue what is actually happening versus what Shinji thinks is happening.

I'm happy to be watching Heroes again! George Takei will do for Heroes what Walter Koenig did for Babylon 5! I know it!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2007, 03:58:51 pm »
i finished fruits basket and i can say i'm not happy with the ending as i've read the manga

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
What are you watching?
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:34 pm »
After putting it aside for a while, I finished Emma last night.  It was about as close to perfect as I've seen yet.  Still not as good as Haibane Renmei, but totally fantastic nonetheless!  I can't wait for season two to be fansubbed.  Unfortunately, it's still in production, and hasn't been broadcast in Japan.  suxx0rz!!!b

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2007, 10:17:59 am »
what watching now..
we have lodoss wars and record of, and (non anime) jack of all trade and a pile of movies that we will some day see all of.. if we stop buying movies to add to it

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
What are you watching?
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2007, 10:20:19 am »
Vallie and I are almost finished with the second box of Naruto. We'll be opening up Fruits Basket next.

I'm watching Kino no Tabe (thanks to some of my fellow cosplayers) and youtube. ^_^

Episode 1
1- http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pmF1xUlxjE
2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzyfkmwdjnE
3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStyz_UgsAE
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
What are you watching?
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2007, 10:52:29 pm »
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN!

yay end of fillers!

*runs*
-Mikae

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What are you watching?
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2007, 01:04:38 am »
My goil bought me Record of Lodoss War a couple weeks back, so I've been watching that lately, along with the usuals: Saiyuki, Boogiepop Phantom, Azumanga Daioh, etc.

I love RoLW, though. It's got that great, 80's anime feel to it that one usually only finds in mecha/robo shows. It's nice to see in a fantasy setting, especially one done so well.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline MyMaek

• Oni
What are you watching?
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2007, 03:17:53 am »
I just finished "Shuffle!", was terribly disappointed by the ending and realized how pointless most of the show was ^^;.  Oh well....

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
What are you watching?
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2007, 11:47:45 am »
Mushishi and the cut versions of Kite and Mezzo Forte
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2007, 06:08:16 pm »
I watched some "Boys Be...", and didn't like it very much. :0 Seems like it's based off a SIM love game (...I think it is actually...).

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
What are you watching?
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2007, 06:22:39 pm »
Somebody asked me what Fruits Basket was about before I ever saw it and I said "There's romantic tension and people accidentally falling onto each other, also people turn into animals."

I was very happy to see that I was right. However I've realized that lots of anime can be described like that.

"There's romantic tension and people accidentally falling onto each other, also the girls are from different planets"

"There's romantic tension and people accidentally falling onto each other, also there are supernatural creatures."

"There's romantic tension and people accidentally falling onto each other, also people are trying to get into college."

"There's romantic tension and people accidentally falling onto each other, also we all turn into chicken broth." (OK, maybe End of Evangelion doesn't fit....but you get the picture)

Is there a name for this genre?
I think that there should be, every type of manga has a name in Japan, it's up to us weak american otaku to find it!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
What are you watching?
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2007, 10:01:50 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Is there a name for this genre?
I think that there should be, every type of manga has a name in Japan, it's up to us weak american otaku to find it!

Hmmmmmm.....
Nothing's coming to mind.  I'm honestly not sure if there is a term for it or not. :?

I'll see if I can maybe piece something together....

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
What are you watching?
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2007, 12:08:08 am »
Fushigi Yugi

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012