Author Topic: Need some good names for RPG characters  (Read 2801 times)

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Need some good names for RPG characters
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:58 pm »
I want to follow a theme of simple, representative animal names. So for example, the tank character would be called "Bear". I need a name for a knight-like character, a sort of jack-of-all-trades character (I was thinking Wolf but I think I can do better), a sorceror (maybe Raven?), and a healer. Any recommendations? Preferably ones with some vague connection to the class type?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:58:46 pm by guspasho »
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Zetsu4200

• Cabbit
Re: Need some good names for RPG characters
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:13 pm »
the knight could "Lion" or something that represents bravery
If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:03:07 pm »
the knight could "Lion" or something that represents bravery

I was thinking of that. It should exhibit bravery but also a sort of chivalric selfless protective quality. If that's too specific, Lion would do.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:13:56 pm »
Steed for the Knight (Especially if you know of the Brit TV Avengers)
Raccoon, Coatimundi (nickname would be good here), Opossum (tool pouch, good for jack of all trades types) 'Roo (same reason)
Raven, Jay, lol, Owl (maybe owl species? Snowy, Great Horned, not Screech),
Swan for Healer, soinet pronounced swan-yay, is French for care, as in nursing.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:16:56 pm »
Knight: Lion, Falcon, Cougar, Wolf (seems pretty fitting of a knight, as wolves are very protective of their own, and definitely a courageous creature)

Jack-of-all-trades: Crow, Badger

Sorceror: Adder (or Serpent)

Healer: Dove, Swan, Phoenix

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 08:43:39 pm »
Some great ideas. Especially Swan. Thanks. For the record, the game is Etrian Odyssey and here's a list of the classes I'm choosing from.

Meg tells me I'm thinking of a Harry Potter-like device, so if that helps, go with it.

Landsknecht: "Powerhouse who can deal damage when you need it most, landsknechts aren't afraid to rush into any situation, no matter how dangerous, and get their hands dirty.  Their physical strength comes at the cost of defense, and if you're willing to take a gamble, certain of their skills can tilt the balance even further toward raw power by abandoning defense entirely.  A few elemental skills make sure that they can pitch in even in fights against magical enemies."

"Masters of sword and axe, Landsknechts can bear a wide range of weapons and armor in close combat. Balanced warriors for the front line."

* Strengths: High attack power, capable of multiple attacks
* Weaknesses: Low defense, few non-physical attacks

This is the tank class I was thinking of calling Bear. Wolf might work here too. But I'd prefer something more distinctive.

Survivalist: "Crafty dungeon explorers whose knowledge of the Labyrinth gives them an advantage over their foes.  They can blend into shadows, making them harder to hit, and raise the entire party's speed, turning the tide of battle in your favor before the fight even starts.  Their bows allow them to attack from either line with no damage penalty, and a few skills let them attack multiple enemies at once."

"Flee-footed and wise in the ways of the forest, their bos skills make them desirable allies. Fast-acting fighters useful in either line."

* Strengths: Effective status enhancements, useful woodland skills
* Weaknesses: Low attack power, no elemental attacks

This was what I was thinking of calling Wolf, but it might better apply to the first class. This one might be a good "Badger".

Protector: "Holy knights who specialize in defending both themselves and the rest of the party.  Their versatile defenses can be applied to themselves, a particular line, or the entire party, guarding those who need it most.  Not limited to physical defense, the protectors can also guard against elemental attacks. Their skill with a weapon is also formidable, and a few basic healing skills round out their arsenal."

"Holy defenders of the weak. A Protector's sword and shield are invaluable tools when in the dungeon. Best used as front-line warriors."

* Strengths: Excellent defense, high attack power, healing abilities
* Weaknesses: Specific defenses are a gamble, no elemental attacks

A knight from Final Fantasy I or a paladin from Diablo II, basically. "Lion" is close but doesn't feel quite right.

Dark Hunter: "Masters of inflicting status ailments, the dark hunters can bind their enemies before moving in for the kill.  Their proficiency with whips allows them to totally immobilize an enemy before draining the last of its life, and when equipped with a sword, they can deliver pinpoint strikes to paralyze, confuse, or petrify a monster.  Even their own party members aren't safe from their deadly games, since they can use their own comrades as bait for a trap."

"Pinpoint lashes of their whip can weaken opponents.  Use their skills wisely to turn the tide of battles. Their skills are best used in the front."

* Strengths: Can inflict most status ailments
*Weaknesses: Low attack and defense under normal circumstances

I don't know. I wasn't going to take this class right away anyway.

Medic: "All-purpose healers for the party, a medic can undo any damage dealt. Their skills range from healing status ailments, to curing wounds, even to resurrecting dead party members.  They can also confer beneficial status effects, such as HP regeneration and elemental resistance.  In addition, though their low defense makes it a risky proposition, putting them on the front lines gives the surprisingly strong medics a chance to show off what kind of damage they can do."

"Unskilled in battle, their healing arts allow experienced warriors to survive difficult battles. Use their healing gifts from the back."

* Strengths: Versatile range of healing skills, good attack power
* Weaknesses: Low defense and HP

The toughest one I think. Swan, I guess, though that invokes an amount of grace and calm and peacefulness that I didn't think would be quite right. I didn't want to go with mythical animals and kind of wanted to avoid Phoenix for that reason.

Alchemist: "These accomplished magic-users can exploit an enemy's elemental weaknesses to the fullest, with their powerful magical formulas.  In addition to their repertoire of Fire, Ice, and Voltage spells, they can also poison enemies, and have useful field skills such as determining the location of FOEs and warping to safety at a nearby Geomagnetic Field.

"Those who study the control of nature.  The power of fire, ice, and lightning is at their command. Elementalists who prefer the back."

* Strengths: Second-to-none elemental spells
* Weaknesses: Low attack power, defense, and HP

Your black mage class. I was thinking Raven. Not sure if I want the snake connotation, too devious.

Troubadour: "Those who can't... sing!  Though the troubadour class is weak in both attack and defense, their songs can boost the rest of the party to even greater heights.  Various songs can increase the rest of the group's HP, recover their HP and TP, lend elemental properties to their weapons, and even give them more experience after a successful battle.  They can also help debilitate the enemy, cancel[l]ing any status benefits the monsters may have, and lowering their resistance to elemental magic.

"Lively dancers and singers who inspire the party.  Their support is always welcome in combat. Supporters able to work on either line."

* Strengths: Can increase the party's effectiveness
* Weaknesses: Not very effective in battle themselves

Meh. I always hated bards anyway.

Ronin: "Warriors from a foreign land whose skill in combat surpasses even the landsknecht's.  These swordsmen can adopt three stances in battle, each strengthening the ronion in different ways, and allowing them to use different skills.  From the Overhead stance, they can attack with burning blades; from the Seigan stance, they can deflect enemy attacks; and from the Iai stance, they can deliver strikes so blindingly fast as to destroy a monster in one hit."

"Foreign masters of all forms of combat. Considering honorable death a virtue, their defense is lacking. Proud soldiers who demand the front."

* Strengths: Unmatched physical attacks, versatile skills
* Weaknesses: Changing stances eats up turns in battle

I can only unlock this later in the game and it will be a while before I get one.

Hexer: "Like the dark hunter, the hexer is adept at crippling enemies with status ailments, but the hexer has an even deadlier power over monsters.  Once an opponent falls victim to their Evil Eye curse, they cannot help but obey the hexer's order to destroy their comrades or even themselves.  In addition to the standard status ailments, a hexer can also weaken an enemy's attack and defensive strength, as well as its speed."

"Their hexes dictate whether an enemy lives or dies. Their innate gifts are rarely seen. Tormentors used to the back line."

* Strengths: Can reduce an enemy's power to nothing
* Weaknesses: Low defense, few direct attack abilities

I can only unlock this later in the game and it will be a while before I get one.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Greyman

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 09:26:04 pm »
Well, I was going to put in my two cents, but jaybug basically quoted everything I was thinking XD
'My complete disbelief in this reality is the one thing keeping me from going insane' - old motto

'My old motto has failed me! Reality intrudes! Prepare for insanity!' -new motto

Offline kurosakiichigo666

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:33:28 pm »
Platypus for "jack of all trades" character. Think about it, part otter part duck part snake part beaver part shark. It's like a real life Chimaera! It's like 5 animals in one! If that's not a perfect name for a character like that I don't know what is  :P
Co-Founder and VP of Parasol Corp. Cosplay. And you just lost the game...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 04:47:06 pm »
no dinobots? :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »
Landsknecht

Like the above people; Bear and Lion work good, but also Bull.

Survivalist

Badger goes for the survivalist but Foxes are the craftiest.

Protector

How about Eagle since Lion didn't sound right?

Dark Hunter

Viper is good, but if you want to stay away from snakes you could go with Jackal or Lynx

Medic

Swan is a good one, but you could also go with Dove.

Alchemist

Raven is perfect because of the Norse implications. Anything better would have to be mythical.

Troubadour

Bards....yeah, you kinda have to stick with birds like Nightingale or Meadowlark. Owls work too, or Rabbit if you want to be a little self depricating.

Ronin

You'd want something exotic for this of course, I'd go with Tiger.

Hexer

Another snake comes to mind, Adder sounds good.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Blayde

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:36 pm »
Do you have to stick with american names? if not you could alway's use an animal name in japanese like

Okami (wolf)
Yagi (goat)
Tiger (tora)
rat-mouse (nezumi)

If you wanted to be verry creative you could even use other names from nature, though this probably isen't much help.
Beware the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train.

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:44:40 pm »
I was always fond of calling my mage characters Bakahatsu (explosion) in japanese....

but right now I have a Priest who I named Judhas The Priest.... but eh...
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:13 am »
Thanks guys, but I'm already around level 10. I'll try to remember this thread when I start another game. Damn them for only giving me one save slot!
2008 Facilities Liaison