Author Topic: Help On Getting In Shape For Con Tips? [wow, that made NO sense]  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
Ok, I'm sure this has happened to a few people, especially the bigger ones, but does anyone have any tips for getting in shape for the Con NEXT year?

I'm 13, and well over the weight reccommendation for my age, so anything willl help. I know diet and exercise and all that jazz, but does anyone have any specific things? I mean, I have the flu. So anything where I can actually breath?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:35:56 pm by Syd-chan »

Offline Nuclear Doll

• Oni
Re: Help On Getting In Shape For Con, Tips? [wow, that made NO sense]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 02:34:54 pm »
DDR.
It has a calorie counter. It has helped me alot! At first, you'll feel like you can't ever get the moves down, but after a couple days you'll get it! You'll notice results after 2 weeks of DDR everyday, start with only what you can handle. But eventually you won't be able to stop playing! It's too much fun!  ;D

Eat more fruit. Eat whatever else you usually eat, but add alot of fruit, believe it or not you'll start eating healthier after a week.

water water water.

This is what I have done, it's easy and it works! Have fun!  ;)

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
Re: Help On Getting In Shape For Con Tips? [wow, that made NO sense]
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:42:24 pm »
It's been a while since I was 13, but what I use to do was...playing outside. Wander and explored. Rode my bike...went swimming during the summer. About that time, I got my first pair of roller blades, so I would cruise around in the house or over at my friends. Chased down my friend's dog when she got loose....

I think if I would advise anything, is about the little things. If you just stay active even if it is taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walking to the park...it makes  a difference. But I am sure you have heard all of that before.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:47:12 pm »
Lay off the soda. Completely. It has tons of hidden calories that you may not realize. And walk or bike wherever you can. Especially if you have a long ways to go. No pain no gain, and you'll have to deal with a little heavy breathing to get back in shape.

If you want to be really hardcore, get yourself a job that has you outdoors lifting stuff, like construction. That will put you in shape like nobody's business.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:49:18 pm »
Eat small, healthy snacks through out the day. You can actually gain more weight by not eating for too long.

And work out. If you don't want to go to the gym, walk around your neighborhood...or play Wii sports...:3

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 03:23:10 pm »
One really basic thing you can do is eliminate all or most items from you diet which contain high fructose corn syrup. 

Next, meet with a personal trainer at the gym and set some goals.  They will help you figure out how to get there, by a combination of excersize routine and nutritional advice. 

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 04:09:23 pm »
Yeah, find something active that you actually enjoy doing.  When I was 13 I'd spend every afternoon on the skateboard. 

As for dieting, the easiest way is to find fruits and veggies you like, eat those instead of fried food.  However, don't completely cut yourself off from things you like, that's a recipe for failure. 
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 04:18:44 pm »
Oh yeah. And it's not con flu if you didn't catch it at a con :P
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 04:38:24 pm »

Gomen ne sai!!  :-[

Thanks, minna! I'll look into the DDR thing and start eating more veagtab;les and laying off the soda, and ect. Thanks so much!!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 05:08:22 pm »

Gomen ne sai!!  :-[

Thanks, minna! I'll look into the DDR thing and start eating more veagtab;les and laying off the soda, and ect. Thanks so much!!

i recoment both of these i was pretty chubby (in the 270-80 range) and i lost about 100 over a years time from ddr and not drinkng regular soda,
2 sub recomends, plan out you daily scedual so you can see when you can fit ddr into you sceadual with school and what not we all get busy
and find a diet drink you like i know soda isnt good for you but some times you gota have the fiz, i prefer diet pesi as it has a minumin diety after taste, and a guilt free snack, i recomend fat free cream chease and celary sticks have a nifty crunch

my down side is i gained like 20 back but that happens when you lose it pretty fast and i started some meds that weight gain is a side affect and i have been lazy
another thing your a great wonderful person just the way you are!!
but wanting to get healthy is a great thing too

from a mental stand point look back at you life and see what were factors to your weight gain, this will make it easyer to remedy it
(i startedgetting chubby when around 10-12 my older brother called me names like big-fat-ugly-pig all the time(in one breath) so i thought i was fat when i wasnt and if youbelive your somthing you become it
so belive you can lose weight and you will!

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:07 pm »
I was a little chubby as a kid and did not really care as i was  not into sports (And the PE Teachers mocked any one not on a team any way).  And because of my legs my parents spent to much time telling me I cant do stuff and insteade of telling them to F^&* off I belived them.  In JHS I was always like 4th in the mile not because i was fast but I had enderence.

When i was in my 20's I worked on my health.  I stoped eating soda and sweat snacks ate a few more veggies (and two giant meaty subs a day because the sandwhich girl had glasses) My job at the time i walked 10 to 15 miles a day and lifted losts of dead bodies.  The only exorcises I added were push ups and situps about 100 each a day and I would jump rope.  When my way fast 24,00 modem was downloading a text file I would do some weights or bench lift the couch.  I also played around the nunchucks and staffs for the flexiablity.

In that year I lost 50 pounds but then I added 20 to my chest and arms.  For a time I was in great shape I had a waist and looked like a light weight boxer I was pocket herclues.  Chicks were comming from every ware following me around work it was creapy,  I would have to pull a bucket of human brains out of the storage room to chaise them away.  Then I got a bad liver and had a stroke so my advice is dont get in shape.

Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 05:36:36 pm »
What if you don't have DDR, and are running a little low on cash? I mean, I'm running LOW.

I have Twister Dance, is that anything similar?

Yeah, superjaz, I know....I'm on the 210-220 age at 13 years old and it's absolutely embarressing when you weight more than your parents. And middle school isn't exactly a walk in the park. I'm sorry, I'm venting....Blah...My summer has been full of nothing of chickenpox.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:39:07 pm by Syd-chan »

Offline Nuclear Doll

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 06:51:37 pm »
What if you don't have DDR, and are running a little low on cash? I mean, I'm running LOW.

It's only like $40.00, right? $ave!
No really.

And why aren't you going to Kumoricon?  :(

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 07:37:26 pm »
0.0 $40............Oh, wow....

I can't go this year, because it's too short notice, and like I said, short on $. Also, because my mom wants me to go with friends, and I have to spend the year introducing my friend to anime. but I'll be going next year........Hopefully. If I get enough money.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:16 pm »
If you think you can or cannot, you're right.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:19:41 pm »
Um, snacks are only bad if you sitting infront of the tube and eating it. Having a small snack in the mid afternoon works great for me. Especially if you make sure it has a balance of protein and carbohydrates.  Peanut butter on whole wheat bread, peanut butter on a banana... some tuna on whole wheat crackers (no high fructose corn syrup!!)... apples and cheese....Yogart with some fruit. I especially love plain greek style yogart with a little honey to sweeten it. Having a small snack between meals will help you from being ravenous during lunch or dinner.

But a good point was made. Learn when you are hungry and when you are eating to fill a void (upset, happy or bored...)

Oh as for exercise, there are a gazillion things you can do, but walking is always free. ^^

As for getting a fiz fix...either limit to having an 8 oz drink of regular soda to once a week or start up drinking carbonated water. It's a little strange at first, but it is very refreshing and did it in for me. I do still drink normal soda on occation, but not like I use to. I found  diet soda makes me gag and it can be misleading. By thinking it is better for you...I have seen it...people drink more of it!  Multiple bottles (20oz)...and really at that point, it defeats any purpose it may have served. (I am stopped here as diet stuff is a pet peeve of mine)

But if you take any advance from this...learn to read labels. Understand what it means, what are good and bad saturated fats and sugars. Just because the box says it's good for you doesn't mean it does. Low fat does not = good for you. They take out the fat and then replace it with sugar, which is worse!

Once you learn the labels....suddenly the whole world will unravel and it might be a tad disturbing and frustrating.  Another rule of thumb...fresh is best, frozen is a good second and canned is third.

Part of that though is due to my philosphy with Quigong and Doaism.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 02:54:12 pm »
I almost hate to be the guy to say this but I was once in your shoes. I weighed 210 at age 14, and honestly it's very difficult to go away. I am currently 24 and I weigh 274, but my doctor says I am actually a health person because most it is muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Being a person that was once (and still is) in your  shoes remember these important things.

1) Change doesn't happen over night. If you are serious about getting into shape (and not just for one con) you have to make changes. I play tennis, airsoft, and hike for fun I don't do it to lose weight. I eat carrots because I like them, and most importantly, I workout because I want to improve myself. So find activities that you like. Join a youth soccer or football league, buy a frisbee and play catch with family or a friend, bike riding and walking are great but can be boring so invite someone along.

2) What you eat is very important. I know that diets suck! I have hated them for years. So here's what I do. Good breakfast (cereal and fruit) a good lunch (sandwich and some veggies, no chips) and then have a nice dinner, usually whatever my family is having. Keep baby carrots, apples and bananas for snacks. A good Idea is to talk to your mom or dad, and try to get some healthy simple cookbooks. This way they know what your goals are, and I'm sure you can learn to cook a few for yourself. Heck they will probably start eating some of them with you, which is always a plus.

3) Make your changes as you are ready. I tried that crash course dieting and similar techniques. Not a fan... However to help myself get into shape I stopped drinking soda and started drinking juice, then eventually water. I got soda out, and then I started on replacing candies, with carrot sticks. Eventually I got rid of most of the worst items for you. I current project is to omit fast food, but I'm not much of a cooking person.

4) If you have a craving kill it.  This is actually the hardest part, but prove very effective. If you have a desire, either don't think about it, or control it. Example, the other day I had a craving for chocolate I ignored it but it wouldn't go away. So I bought one of those 100 calorie packs of oeros, craving gone, and I put the rest away. It's difficult but once you learn to control your cravings you are set.

focus on your goal and I'm sure you will get there.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:58:25 pm by Nroseseeer »
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:52:29 pm »
First of all, I'd suggest looking at labels and comparing them. Reduced fat doesn't always mean there is a small amount of fat. It simply means that there is less fat than the normal version. Keep in mind there are plenty of tricks advertisers will use to try and trick you. When comparing labels, make sure to look at the serving size. Some products look like their product is a lot better for you because they have small serving sizes and in reality the difference is pretty small. Another trick that is used is rounding. At the top of the label you can find the "calories from fat", etc. These are always nice round numbers. Wonder why that is? It is because the totals are often rounded up or down. Most companies are honest about this, but some aren't so learn the calorie conversion formulas and take a calculator with you when you go shopping. Also, you probably don't have to worry about this yet, but buying in bulk is not always better. It can be a great way to save money, but if you buy more food than you can use before it spoils you end up feeling guilty and eating more. Fat free or low fat isn't always better, but for fatty foods such as salad dressing and whole milk, it is a good idea to switch to lower fat versions. I'd recommend drinking no more than 1% milk though drinking skim is really better since you get enough fat from the other parts of your diet. Margarine is also better for you than butter.

Another tip I have is to eat slow. When you eat fast you will become full before your brain realizes it and you'll eat too much. Also, stop eating when you are full. The "eat up because kids are starving in Africa" argument doesn't make sense. Those kids aren't going to get the food whether or not you eat it. Eat a balanced diet. Don't eat just fruits and vegetables. Carbs and protein are also important to keep you healthy. If you do go vegetarian or vegan, make sure to eat nuts. Nuts have lots of protein, which provides the material to build up muscles. Don't cut your favorite unhealthy foods completely out of your diet. It will make you much more likely to give up. Instead, eat only small proportions every once in awhile, or fit them into healthier food. Popcorn can actually be a very healthy snack if you get an air popper (pops the popcorn with hot air instead of oil) and skip the gobs of butter and salt. (As I asked my friend Devyn when when we had popcorn, "Do you want some popcorn with that salt?") You could also add chocolate chips to pancakes or put sprinkles on yogurt. There are lots of ways to enjoy your favorite foods and still eat healthy. Be creative!

Finally, DON'T EXPECT TO LOSE MORE THAN A FEW POUNDS A WEEK. I know you've probably seen shows like biggest loser where people lose 10 pounds a week, but this doesn't happen for most people. Expecting it to happen for you is just setting yourself up for failure. Not to mention losing weight that quickly is really unhealthy. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't lose any weight one week or even gain a few pounds. There is always next week! Just look over what you did that week that wasn't good and decide to not do that next week. Who knows, maybe you are on track and you just gained some muscle. :3 Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline Wanganator

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart User name: AnimeDaisuki
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 03:12:21 pm »
Like said before in the previous post, DDR: the otaku's final bastian against obesity!
Anyways, The key is to be lazy, but with this kind of mentality: Watch TV - Too lazy to get up to get a snack, Elevator? too slow! race up the stairs, gets you up 3 stories faster than the elevator.
Ok enough with the riduculous comments. I've been going to the gym to pump some iron. before I never had the motivation to do it, cause after the first day I get sore, so I don't go the next day, because I go too hard too fast. so slow down. do light workouts then build your way up.
What I think works well is that when you go work out, concentrate on the workout, don't put your mind off somewhere else, really think about what you're trying to accomplish, that way you can make yourself more aware of what you're doing so you can set goals and the like. That is if going to the gym is your thing.
But during the school year I didn't have time to go to the gym (that is I didn't allocate any time). So to maintain a decent health standard, I rode my bike to school, on some days, it can be up to 3 times in a day (~1.5 miles). I saved myself from being fat and 48 bucks from buying a bus pass.

It's a cold fact that for some people, it's a genetic disposition that they have to try harder to stay healthy, but I don't believe that it cannot be overcome with determination.
Solo party deshou? deshou?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:45:04 am »
thing is to keep trying cuz it can be weeks before hard work shows off and untill then peeps tend to feel the changes havent made a differnce but it does

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 08:29:21 am »
One thing no one has mentioned here so far. Don't deprive yourself of everything (or was that said?) You can have chocolate, but perhaps instead of mlik chocolate, get a bag of the those small pieces of dark chocolate and makes a big difference (spend a little extra and get a high quality chocolate...it's smoother and nicer to suck on)

Also be aware that men  deal with weight differently then women, especially as you get older.  Everyone is an individual and one that worked for someone may not work for you. Your body  knows what it likes best, so pay attention to how it reacts to certain foods. I have to watch my breads...it's a trigger food for me. Another one is a certain cookie(pst milanos).

Offline Wanganator

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart User name: AnimeDaisuki
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
There's one thing that you should know as well. the body is very resillient, like the previous posts, it will take some time before you body adjusts to your eating style. Believe me a few months ago I was able to eat fast food normally. but now if I were to eat it, my body would begin to reject it just becasue I haven't eaten it in a long time and I've been eating high carb and protein to maintain my body for gym and what not. I've proved that 2 weeks ago, I don't think I'll ever eat fast food on a whim anymore.. That's my experience with diet and excersize, you are what you eat...
Solo party deshou? deshou?

Offline ryan

• Oni
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »
Only drink tea and water

Avoid high fructose corn syrup and sugar

smoke

Offline sup_voldemort

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 03:19:08 am »
THE DARK LORD THINKS GOING ORGANIC WORKS.

HIS BODY IS ABSOLUTELY TRIM AS OF LATE.

Offline sup_voldemort

• Oni
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:08 am »

MAKE CAT EARS FOR THIRTEEN YEARS STRAIGHT.

IT WORKED FOR THE DARK LORD.

Offline sup_voldemort

• Oni
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 03:23:00 am »
If you think you can or cannot, you're right.

THE LORD THINKS YOU ARE SO~ HELPFUL.

THE LORD NOW BELIEVES HE CAN FLY THANKS TO U.

Offline sup_voldemort

• Oni
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 03:24:53 am »
Only drink tea and water

Avoid high fructose corn syrup and sugar

smoke

THE DARK LORD AGREES.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 11:41:11 am »
you lordy^
this is called spam it has a place called spam threads why is the rum gone if you want to add to a post click on the link to the right that sez modify post yo

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 01:14:09 pm »
Listen to superjaz. She is very nice and makes cookies for everyone. Please don't derail or spam in other peoples' threads. It's not nice. We have a forum for that sort of thing if you want to have fun. Thanks.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline sup_voldemort

• Oni
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 08:47:40 pm »
you lordy^
this is called spam it has a place called spam threads why is the rum gone if you want to add to a post click on the link to the right that sez modify post yo

I AM GIVING ADVICE AND NOT SPAMMING. SPAM IS BAD AND WILL MAKE YOU FAT.  NEXT TIME I WILL GROUP ALL MY REPLIES TOGETHER SO EVERYONE CAN READ MY REPLIES AT ONCE. 

Offline TheOffspring

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/Julievee
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 12:15:30 am »
SPAM IS BAD AND WILL MAKE YOU FAT.

But I like spam.   :-[

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 02:20:52 am »
Anyone got anything to do that doesn't involve a lot of leg movement? I have massive knee and ankle problems (remember, first Kcon I came on crutches since I'd thrown my knee out the week before), so DDR and its ilk are out.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 03:50:38 am »
Anywho so I have been reading what everybody has to say and most of it is really good but... I have lost 6lbs on the Jenny Craig diet which basically just teaches one how to eat better as a life style change instead of a DIET.

I am not promoting Jenny Craig or anything like that, but this is what I have learned so far. If you can eat Six Meals instead of Three Meals a day by eating roughly every 2-3 hours and you feel full through out the day, but that means 3 meals that are moderately portioned (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 3 snacks. Basically between every real meal you eat something small to help keep yourself from feeling like you are starving when you eat your larger meals. So after breakfast and before lunch try eating yogurt (preferably non or low fat) and a fruit, after lunch is usually a low fat string cheese and a piece of fruit or something like a 100 calorie pack is a small snack that can kick most any craving be it salty or sugary or chocolately. After dinner eat another piece of fruit and cheese or you can have some sort of small dessert like a small portion of cookies or cake. Here's the thing about snacks, if they are high in fat/calories/sugar eat them less but still occasionally have them... and if you have a pack of cookies after lunch then have the fruit after dinner. Balance it out...

As for your meals keep in mind portion sizes, because the American portion size is roughly 2- 2.5 times larger than it was 30 years ago. At breakfast have a cup of lowfat (1%) or non fat milk and a piece of fruit but be aware that alot of cereals are LOADED with sugar so look for cereal with higer fiber content but be careful of higher sugar content with higher fiber cereals cause lots of sugar can defeat the purpose of the high fiber.

At lunch have a nice healthy salad beside your meal or have that as your main course with grilled chicken on top not breaded. Your salad dressings are great if they are under 55 calories and 3 or less grams of fat for a 2 tablespoon serving. You would be suprised how little salad dressing you need sometimes to eat a salad. When you go out to eat and you don't have that much choice in salad dressings don't use the entire packet. BK salads are about 190 calories for a chicken ceaser salad but the croutons tack on an extra 60 calories and the full salad dressing packet is anoth 210 calories which is more than the salad itself. So don't use crutons, pull off the cheese its usually high fat cheese (sometimes salads come with it)watch how much dressing you use and all that salad will help because the higher fiber keeps you fuller longer and it also helps clean out your system.

As for dinner try to eat veggies with your dinner be it brocolli or something else non starchy (from time to time potatoes are ok but they dont have the same value to your body as greenbeans or other non startchy veggies). You can steam them, eat them raw and some other methods of cooking can be used but try to avoid fried veggies or cheese covered veggies cause it adds a ton of fat and calories that your body doesnt need. Raw... about a cup and a half is good its less than that after its been cooked but the veggies are a great source of minerals and vitamins just like the fruit.

Now with dinner its ok to have a tablespoon of butter but you can substitute that with nuts which are better for you because of the nutrients packed inside them about 4 large nuts or 10 smaller nuts is about what you should eat without over doing it because most nuts have alot of fat in them and are usually covered in salt.

Now I lost 6 pounds with only minimal increase to my activity level and by following their plan with a few minor slip ups by eating out. Sometimes you can't avoid eating out but I try to keep it to a minimum because the average person eats 300+ calories more when they eat out verses eating a home cooked meal.

I am going to increase my activity level by going to a gym soon so that I see results in my inches lost and my weight dropped because I will be perfectly honest I started at 305.4 pounds and I am 17 almost 18 years old. As of a few days ago I was at 299.4 pounds which is great because I completed a mini-goal by getting back under 300 pounds. My next goal is to lose 5% of my original body weight or 15 pounds.

So make mini goals for yourself because making a giant goal becomes extremely depressing and so hard to achieve that it will cause you to give up. Make small achievable goals that still challenge you so they aren't too hard, but aren't too easy. Walk an extra 10 minutes and do little things like suggested before. It really helps.

To be honest though it comes down to this... avoiding over processed foods loaded with corn syrup, sugar, unnessesary fat and bleached flour. (Fat is not bad in small ammounts mind you) And if you eat foods that are less healthy boost your activity level. Food IN = calories you need to burn with activity. So you can eat alot of things in moderate portions but you need to be active to burn the calories because unused calories becomes stored energy (aka fat). So you can eat what you want if you want to move more to maintain or lose weight.

Now my diet may not be the one for you but Think positive, stick to a healthier eating shedual, Increase your activity level little by little and when you can, and be patient because like others have said you may not see results right away but eventually it will show. Also... make sure you tell yourself why you are doing this..make this about you.. how you feel.. how you see yourself... because hun its all about you when it comes to wanting to be healthy. If you dont want to do this its less likely to work... don't let anyone force you to do this if you dont want to... do it for you... because trust me when the weight starts coming off alittle bit at a time it will feel good (half a pound to 3 pounds per week is AWSOME but dont expect 10 pounds a week). Don't feel guilty if you slip alittle just keep your head up and make it a family thing because you want all your family to be happy and healthy and when you start giving your body the nutrients you need you become happier and more energetic which will help all the way around.

<3 Keep trying.. feel good about your small achievements and if you need someone to talk to you have a whole community right here that is willing to listen and cheer you on.

<3 BabySugarBear28 ~Rachael~

As for Blackjack try swimming... in a pool your body seems like it weighs less and though it might not be a great thing to be in a bathing suit but it puts less pressure on your joints so your knees and ankles can strengthen without hurting them and it gives you a pretty full body work out. Speaking of pools go take a dip while you are at the con it helps take pressure off your body and the hot tub works like a massager on your feet which feels soooo incredibly good and it relieves stress from running around all day from event to event.

<3 Good luck people ^_^ I will be checking in on you all...

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 09:26:42 am »
I am glad to hear Jenny Craig is working for you....but I have watched my mom yo-yo from one system to another: Jcraig, nutrasystem, weight watchers, LA weightwatch... the only problem half the time is when you stop using their food completely or stop using the system, you end up gaining the weight back some or all of it. Perhaps that has changed. But diets have never been that affective in my family...especially among the women.

One was so miserable, she stated flat out that she didn't want to spend her life like that. So personally I don't always think cutting calories and portion sizes is the absolute answer. Each person is different, and so are genetics. I know I will be fighting my weight for the rest of my life and I eat good. At the same time I am not going to deprive myself of this things I love to save a few calories. For all I know if I go back to what my ancestors ate and worked the way they did, things would straighten out.

There was one study with a Native American group who was horribly obese and riddled with diabetes. They decided that they needed to go back to eat the foods their ancestors use to eat and ditch the fast food and other processed foods they had been eating. Their situation went into reverse and after a time, they were healthier and happier. So there is a great deal we still don't understand....the options and answers are endless.

"Now with dinner its ok to have a tablespoon of butter but you can substitute that with nuts which are better for you"

Love nuts, but they don't spray well over broccoli or over toast...unless it is nut butter. ;) For your heart, real butter is better then artificial butter/margarine. That is what at least my father's cardiologist stated.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 08:37:34 pm »
What I did was cut out all the junk food. It's SO hard, but worth it in the end. I used to be 160 the beginning of this year, but now I'm down to 122, and my goal weight is 155. It takes a while but it's definately worth the outcome.
Well I lie, I do eat some junk food once in a while, but I don't splurge, unless I know I'm working out the next day.

I can suggest to get off the computer once in a while, which is SO hard for me. And just do whatever you can to get your heartbeats up to it's target rate. I know that doesn't make sense. But just go out and do something you love to make your heart race to an extent. I play hours and hours of DDR, if that helps, and you can tell your parents it is a workout. Because it is, hence WORKOUT MODE.

Drink lots of water, eat your veggies and fruits. The saddest part of this is cut carbs. Which means the delicious god sent potatoes. :[[[[

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007, 11:27:42 pm »
I recently came across some old pictures of me when I weighed .. well, close to 200lbs. I know I reached 205, 208lbs before.. but this was back in 2001, and I dunno if I had reached that plateau yet. They make me cringe. I'd love to show people a before/after picture for motivation.. but I really, really hate the pictures.

I weigh 155lbs now. I've recently started working out again to get some nice lean, toned muscle going on. It's going pretty good so far. ^_^  (I don't want to get /too/ buff and bulky.. it wouldn't be very Chi-like!)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 07:05:03 am »
I've read all the replied of everyone here, and many of em have put in some good advice, so I figure a little more won't hurt. when i had to lose weight to enlist in the navy, they gave me some very useful tips.

First: Eat only when you are truely hungry(having an appetite does not constitute hunger)
Second: when you eat, don't eat more than what can fit into the palm of your hand at a sitting.
Third: Drink lots of water. by lots i don't mean a few glasses, i mean a few Liters(about 4 a day) a day.
Fourth: for every 3 Litres of water, drink 1 glass of Gatorade.
Fifth: When exercising keep the workouts consistent. for weight loss, stick with cardio.
Sixth: work out for no less than 45 min a day. this excludes all warm up and cool down exercises.

some of these tips may seem a bit extreme, but they work.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 12:36:07 pm »
last nigh at dinner chris put waaay too much butter on his bread, i took it and took a lot off and it still was quite smeard enought and then he took the knife and ate the butter  >:(
i was making nosies like "neeeeeuuu!!!! dib biba!!!!!" and his parents who didnt notice the butter eatting, were like "hey kids knock it off or we'll seprate you too" and i was like i did nothing wrong your sons eatting butter!!! its bad for him!!!!
not to mention we were at a restarant!!!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 10:07:44 pm »
Anyone got anything to do that doesn't involve a lot of leg movement? I have massive knee and ankle problems (remember, first Kcon I came on crutches since I'd thrown my knee out the week before), so DDR and its ilk are out.

Para Para ;D arm's instead of feet

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:33 pm »
I'd say the biggest problem for me is STARBUCKS. I didn't know how bad those frapps were for you until I saw the nutrition content online...it  was like at least 600 calories for a tall or grande. So here's my little guide for coffee and snazzy drinks:

1. At Starbucks, always ask for nonfat milk or soy. I think they automatically put in whole milk if you don't say anything (which contains lots more fat!)
2. Stay away from frapps and other blended drinks! I prefer iced coffee now since it's usually just coffee, milk, ice, and some syrup.
3. Ask for no whipped cream...that's a killer right there.
4. Never go for a big sized drink! Who cares if it's a good deal? Your body will thank you later.

And some other tips:

1. When you feel hungry, fill up on fruit; they fill you up pretty well and it's good for you
2. If you NEED to drink juice, dilute it with a little water. It still tastes the same, but it's healthier.
3. Always drink WATER. Get in the habit of carrying a water bottle with you and fill it up as much as possible during the day.
4. Eat good carbs! (Wheat pasta, no white bread, brown rice, etc)

Ohhh and some tips when you're eating out:

1. Order off the kid's menu! Think smaller portions!
2. If you order off the regular menu, share it with a friend. Restaurant servings are usually double or triple the recommended amount, anyway.
3. If you don't have a friend with you, ask for a to-go box and shove half of your dish in the box before you eat so you're not tempted to eat more than you need to.
4. If you order a salad, ask for dressing on the side. Then, dip the tines of your fork into the dressing before you spear some greens!

Uhhmm yeah that's a lot a tips but I hope these help! I've used pretty much all of these tips and trust me they help a lot!

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 08:32:48 am »

Swiming is aerobic and easy on the joints
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:22 pm »

Swiming is aerobic and easy on the joints

Also get some one pound weights and do some arm curls while watching tv or reading. I found a great work out for the legs with knee problems is too simply lift and lower your leg while you sit. you work the muscle (lightly) with out over working your ankle or knee, add one pound weights if you want a better workout.
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager