Author Topic: them spendy school books  (Read 6714 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
them spendy school books
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:53:28 am »
school time and those o us in collage it means forkin over the dough for them school books
i got mine yesterday and as 2 of my classes are a japanese film and a japanese lit class, that means i need more books then god, well maybe not that bad but ca you tell me why you need 4 books for a film class?!?

total amount 'o' books = 10
4 for lit 4 for film and one for psy (i have another psy class but i already had that book yay!)
luckly most of the film and lit books were 20-30
grand total= $289.40, which is pretty cheap compared to what some peeps have to pay

this year tho i bought my books and knowing i have till the 5th of october to return, looked online to see if i could find cheaper and i did,
igot all but one cheaper makeing a savings of 92. $$ yay money money money ...moeny!
they come in da mail for free too,
this text book site had prety goo rating n prices (i no trust bad rating)

http://www.textbooks.com/HomeA.php?CSID=Q2K0CUT0CQM0COKCCTQOTUMKD

gomen to those with school specific books that you cant get better deals on :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:55:28 am by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Re: them spendy school books
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:29:43 pm »
ive spent that already two books, and I still need to buy two more T.T
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:49:35 pm »
ive spent that already two books, and I still need to buy two more T.T

belive me i know i lucked out, tho since a lot of them are japanese novals i wont be sellin them back,

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:56:04 pm »
Yeah, I am going to sell as much possible back! at least my tuition wasn't that bad.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:42:54 pm »
I only purchased my Japanese class books XD I'm not buying my other ones until the first day of class to see if I like it XD ahhh.

Are you attending PSU? Because if so I'll be seeing you around ♥ tee-hee
stupid bookstore ripped me off :[[[

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
Are you attending PSU? Because if so I'll be seeing you around ♥ tee-hee
stupid bookstore ripped me off :[[[

yup! yay school friendz!!, i will be volunteeri g mondays 9-1 this fall to, the really want to make the center a place where anyone can come and relax,you shpuld stop by some time

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:55:20 am »
Yeah, I bought what they had of my books yesterday. I found it ridiculous that a course pack cost 40 bucks, but oh well. I still have two things to get for astronomy, but they're small and cheap and not available yet. But UW does this thing where if you buy from the book store at the end of the year you can turn in all of your recipts from everything you've bought from the book store and then before school starts in the fall you get 8% back of what you spent. 8% doesn't sound like much, but I got about $65 back and that paid for my sociology books.

But there was one quarter last year, winter I think, where my books came to being less than $80. Everyone was pretty amazed.
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 11:18:24 am »
believe me, Ii know I lucked out, though since a lot of them are Japanese novels I won't be selling them back,

Is there any Murakami on the syllabus?

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:55:16 am »
believe me, Ii know I lucked out, though since a lot of them are Japanese novels I won't be selling them back,

Omg I hope so, since I have all this books except one XD tee-hee

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 12:23:15 pm »

the japanese lit class is a second section, seprated early and then mid 1800's to present, that class had Kitchen by banana and  Norwegian Wood by Murakami

but  in this class weget to read tals of the genji and a bunch of small novels like the makioka sisters, and snow countery, ho sone of those ight be for the japanese film class now that i think about it ...i did sepreate my books after i bought them 8 japanese books, one one court poetry!

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:21 pm »
wahhh superjaz you are then in my Japanese film&lit class then! Because I have to read the EXACT same books! :OOOO
Are you in the class being taken on Mondays late in the evening?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 11:24:41 pm »
wahhh superjaz you are then in my Japanese film&lit class then! Because I have to read the EXACT same books! :OOOO
Are you in the class being taken on Mondays late in the evening?
yup!!! i is in it you'll love the teacher he's kooky

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 11:53:22 pm »
You have to read "Kitchen"?!?!?!  I have to read that too! ^_^

I always find these stories about textbooks being expensive funny because I actually worked at a campus bookstore.  My favorite book-selling incident: 5 books, over 600 dollars.  They were possibly the most expensive books we had from different subjects and the kid happened to be taking all of them.  There were times where I almost felt like I should apologize.  I did nothing wrong but I almost felt like saying "Sorry."

But my favorite personal book-buying incident would have to be Spring term of my senior year.  I didn't have to buy a single new book that term.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 10:21:29 am »
You have to read "Kitchen"?!?!?!  I have to read that too! ^_^

At portland state, japanese lit class is split in to 2 classes to cover, well not everything, but still quite a lot,
the one in the fall is easlyest era to mid 18th, and one in the winter is mid 18th to modern, i took it last year and we read kitchen (which i liked theres a charater that makes me think of haruhi's father ranka from host club), i liked it better then norweigin wood which i found sad and chotto depresing desu ne...

portland state is really lucky to hae komitz sensei, he knows all this stuff so well hes got a doctorate in it, and he looks like mr monk

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 08:28:13 am »
4 books, $500.  *cries*  I thought community colleges were supposed to be better about that sort of thing.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 11:32:43 am »

portland state is really lucky to hae komitz sensei, he knows all this stuff so well hes got a doctorate in it, and he looks like mr monk

omg doesn't he?!  That's the first thing I tell people about him...." I had a teacher who looked like Monk!"  lol, I haven't -actually- taken a class from him yet, but I helped out in the group project some of my friends were doing for one of his classes.  It was blast, and I can't wait to really take something from him!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:50 pm »
I can't wait to really take something from him!

the only thing i dont like about his classes is the times i mean 6:40 to 9:20?!?!? at nigh jaz is ascared of zee dark 0.o

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 08:26:56 pm »
Gah I paid $280 today for 6 books, not really a bad deal but they're only that much becuase I couldn't get some of them used.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 01:14:27 pm »
My chemistry book is $200 by itself. You can't buy a used copy because its a 1st edition, its specially pressed for PSU as it alters its chapter content, and all homeworks and exams are administered through the publisher's website. I'm a sad boy these days, and am thrilled this is my last term.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 11:05:43 pm »
I spent around $150 on a book and supplies this term at PSU
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 11:49:03 am »
My chemistry book is $200 by itself. You can't buy a used copy because its a 1st edition, its specially pressed for PSU as it alters its chapter content, and all homeworks and exams are administered through the publisher's website. I'm a sad boy these days, and am thrilled this is my last term.
Let me guess, did the chem. book come with a CD or a chemistry set?

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 08:53:50 pm »
Gah I paid $280 today for 6 books, not really a bad deal but they're only that much becuase I couldn't get some of them used.
and add a $30 drafting kit to that.

Offline kissarmy

• Chibi
    • Kisswars
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 08:57:42 pm »
my stuff was free :3

thank you redmond high school for considering me a student for one more year and for paying for my tuition, books, knives, uniform, and whatever else i needed.

i and the rest of the expanded options program thank you
www.myspace.com/parasolcosplay         
Kumoricon 08
~LEEROY JENKINS - World of Warcraft
~EPIC SECRET COSPLAY

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 09:56:03 pm »

ugh. the sciences really kill the budget. My friend spent around $560 on her organic chem and physics books. so harbl!
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline LittleCodfish

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 02:24:22 pm »
...I got my books for free
*runs away very fast*

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 11:43:10 pm »
*runs away very fast*
How did you do that? O.o
I can think of only two ways that could happen and one of them isn't legal.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 07:20:45 am »
Let me guess, did the chem. book come with a CD or a chemistry set?

Neither. It included a key so you can access the mentioned website. Buy the book used? Thats nice, you can't access the website because the access code is locked in to a different used. Thats okay though! You can just go buy another copy new!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 10:01:49 am »
Neither. It included a key so you can access the mentioned website. Buy the book used? Thats nice, you can't access the website because the access code is locked in to a different used. Thats okay though! You can just go buy another copy new!

In practice, it's exactly that which makes for so many wrongs to everyone but the publisher.  The instructors can't in good conscience reference or use material from the site.  The students get less of a book/way diminished resale value.  Landfills eventually get more paper.  Forests are sacrificed for a single print-run for each year's edition... (and the flavour I saw with those books was something that approached a good handful or so of editions a decade, or at least it seemed that way.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline LittleCodfish

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 01:15:43 pm »
*runs away very fast*
How did you do that? O.o
The program that I'm going through pays for that stuff.
It's kind of like Running Start, except you take your classes exclusively at the community college.
I guess the district pays for all your books.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 03:06:06 pm »
*runs away very fast*
How did you do that? O.o
The program that I'm going through pays for that stuff.
It's kind of like Running Start, except you take your classes exclusively at the community college.
I guess the district pays for all your books.

That sounds exactly like running start XD There are two options, full time and part time at the community college. I had friends who did both.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 03:44:34 pm »
yay i got my books!
and they are in really good condishion for being used too, yay money saved

they were trapped for a while at the apartment managers tho, when we went to get them (we werent home whn they were deliverd so they gave them to the apartment office) the office was closed urasia!!!