Poll

Day Light Saving time

Keep it the same forever
1 (16.7%)
Let congress mess with it
0 (0%)
Just pick one of the two times and keep it. (either one)
2 (33.3%)
Let's all just use one time worldwide.
3 (50%)
Other (Name it in a reply)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: DST - Love it, hate it?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
DST - Love it, hate it?
« on: November 01, 2007, 05:06:47 am »
I'm sick of DST.  It used to be OK, when nearly all my clocks did it automatically and got it right, and those that didn't I had to adjust only twice per year.  Now most of the ones that try to do it automatically FAIL since they were silly and designed with hardcoded DST start/end dates. (At the time they were made, no one knew things would be different in the future.)  I have to set those clocks 4 times per year now.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: DST - Love it, hate it?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:25 pm »
HAHA!!!  I clicked on the wrong option.  I think we should say FU to DST, since it really doesn't do what it's suppose to do, and it's just stupid.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:47:11 pm »
I've never understood the purpose of it. They say it's for farmers, but why don't the farmers just get up earlier?

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:37:53 pm »
 The way it was explained to me, makes a certain amount of sense ( to use daylight more efficiantly and supposedly take up less electricity) Its  hardley worth the headache to explain/understand but I will try:

Peoples schedules are the same wether its dark or light ( ex I go to bed at 12 and get up at 7) when it gets dark earlier, they change the clocks so that people will go to bed earlier ( shut off lights electricity earlier and  the ealier people go to bed teh earlier teh ycan get up, thus the efficiant use of that hour in the morning)

From what I understand it was far more useful when people didnt HAVE electricity and thus saved candle wax ect, but I guess 'they' figured its usefull still. *Shrug*

Yea, it had to be explained to m a few times but it sort of makes sense to me now.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:31:17 am »
Well, yes, that's the original intent.  However, how much sleep does the average person you know get?  Are they not awake both before dawn and after dusk every day anyway?  If that is the case, as I believe it is in most who consume the majority of power, then there is very little power Saved by messing with when things are light or not.  What it does cause however, are headaches in every area where a timer or schedule is concerned.

In fact, if the 'savings' is so great, why don't we just set it so the sun goes down even later then it does now.  Permanently.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:32:17 am »
HAHA!!!  I clicked on the wrong option.  I think we should say FU to DST, since it really doesn't do what it's suppose to do, and it's just stupid.
You can actually 'Remove Vote' I think the option was, and then re-cast your vote.  I happened to enable that option.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:40:37 pm »
I was on the phone until 1am last morning and when I was done, I didn't know If I'd been talking for 1 hour and 29 minutes or 2 hours and 29 minutes.  It was quite distressing.

But the phone call wasn't.  That was quite nice.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>