Author Topic: Top 10 Reasons to Hate Your Cellphone  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
Top 10 Reasons to Hate Your Cellphone
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:23:44 am »
Ten Reasons To Throw Away Your Cellphone
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/07/ten-reasons-to-.html

Includes: It turns you into a public annoyance, It makes your life more complicated and It makes you perpetually available

And, for further reading:

10 Reasons To Hate Cellphone Carriers

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/10-reasons-to-h.html

"No free Tetris! Routing everything to the Spooks! They hate you! They suck!"

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline PhantmK

• Chibi
Re: Top 10 Reasons to Hate Your Cellphone
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:54:21 pm »
Now see I only use my phone for simple functions, for instance, Communication, Yes I may have to be in constant contact, but I do limit myself. Other than that some of the reasons mentioned have valid points. While others I just don't understand. Then again, this is your topic not mine.
Sometimes you just gotta pull out the stops give it your all and know that you will come out the other end alive, well, and ready for the next challenge. 
I'm still waiting for the next one.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:29:49 pm »
Hmm...I like my cellphone. It makes communicating with other people a lot easier when they don't always live the same area.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 08:42:35 am »
I've not read the links, but pretty much all phone service providers suck.  They'd be completely outdated if every place was a zero hassle low-bandwidth Wifi hotspot.  Just think of the benefit to the public responder infrastructure, as well as the minimisation of eyesores if there were a single, standardised, local pipe to backbone access with enough free minimal bandwidth to allow for everyone to use roaming VOIP handsets.  Zero cost for phone calls, zero cost for text messages.  If you happen to Require uninterrupted calls, you can even pay to upgrade your service.  I think a vast majority however would be fine with the free version.

As for how I use it now?  The two room-mates and I barely use the phones for more then a rare call to family, each other (free min all the time), stores (low use, sporadic), or talking to others we've met through the convention when everyone's on the go.  (Still rare so far on the last one too.)

We have the lowest family plan and still don't make a dent in our burnable min.

My personal phone... because of work concerns, I picked a non-camera one this time, is a 20 dollar POS, it's pretty much just a phone, unless you want to screw around with a crappy virtual/physical UI.  Now... a single standard that has free web access, and the option to buy a terminal roughly like an ultra-high efficiency PC from 5 years ago; with replaceable/upgradable primary storage media and ram, and 2d acceleration good enough to let it play h.264 / vc1 video, aac audio, and still get off a speex backed VOIP call over an encrypted wireless network (maybe even SSH tunnelling it), and you've got a winner.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:57:26 am »
LOLZ to everyone.
I have no cellphone!
I can disappear!
I shall take my moneys saved and buy chocolate to eat and nobody can have any!
Ha ha ha!

I shall smash the cellphones with my tiny french shoes and then drive my buggy into the sunset!
Gondor has no cellphone.
Gondor NEEDS no cellphone!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 02:50:09 pm »
A phone is just another thing that checks email, holds information and schedules events, and which has to be carefully kept in sync with all the other crud in your life that checks email, holds information and schedules events. The difference? This one likely has a 240 pixel-wide screen and a shabby interface spawned from the hellish loins of Windows CE.

Totally agreed...except I think that's a good thing!

The sync features of Windows Mobile have made my life so much easier. Why should I have to manually enter data in three places, and manually keep it up to date, when I can enter it in one, and then plug in a cable to automatically make the changes on the other devices?

I can enter an appointment right while I'm talking to somebody instead of waiting to get home to do it.

Or I can enter phone numbers and email addresses on my computer and have them all ready on my cell phone automatically.

The "has to be carefully kept in sync" completely drops the context of the fact that the whole arrangement is a net benefit.

Windows Mobile is full of bugs but on balance I'd rather have it than not. If you don't like the bugs, then I recommend the iPhone, which has much of the same benefits, but fewer features, but lacking the bugs!

It knows where you are
GPS is in every box, but you can't use it for much. The government loves to watch them without warrants or probable cause: if it's in your pocket, you are Robocop and The Man is Dick Jones.

Completely not true. The GPS is not running unless activated. It uses a huge amount of battery.

It's a red herring, too. The cell phone providers know where you are just because of the towers. They don't need GPS. So this is a valid privacy point, but that's the tradeoff that people have to decide.

It encourages stupid people to become a public menace
It turns you into a public annoyance
Hell is other people's ringtones.

Perhaps true on the first, but give me credit on the second for keeping my phone speaker off all the time.

It makes you perpetually available
If it's on, they can get you. If it's off, they wonder why they can't get you. It's a lose-lose situation for your Zen.

This is the one that annoys me the most. I want to be perpetually available, on my terms. If I have a business or personal relationship with somebody, I want to be reachable. Unless, of course, I hate my friends, and my job. Which speaks to a deeper problem that has nothing to do with the cell phone. (I am not implying that the stated reason is why anybody would not want email on their phone. That's just how I personally see the tradeoff.)

The big point is you can choose not to answer the phone, or respond to an email you get on it. When it comes in, at least you have the choice--and the other party doesn't know whether you've read it and are putting them off, or just are unavailable! Also, there's an understanding, for people who have email on their phone, that they will make their own judgments on how they structure their time throughout the day and waiting to respond to an email doesn't mean it's being ignored.

There's a meme in our society, which no doubt dates from before we had voice mail and email, that you unquestioningly have an obligation to answer a ringing phone, regardless of what you are doing at the time. I, on the other hand, by default, don't answer a phone if I am having an in-person conversation with somebody. The in-person conversation takes priority.

If you don't use a phone, then you don't even have the option of knowing whether somebody is trying to contact you, even if you would otherwise think the issue was important!

As for the issue of cell providers sucking, agreed on most points. I think this problem will eventually take care of itself. Already, operating systems that have been written by the software industry, such as Windows Mobile, the iPhone software, and likely Google's upcoming phone software, are radically shifting the balance of control to the users directly and away from the carriers. On nearly all Windows Mobile phones you can install whatever software you want without the carrier even knowing. This has the effect that it no longer matters what carrier you use--the "experience" is the same on all of them, even if you switch phones. There will be a sudden turning point, and I don't know when it will happen but it will happen, in the next 2-10 years, where enough phones use Voice over IP over unlimited data plans instead of metered "minutes", have Wi-Fi and function equally whether they are on the cell network or not, and when all communications traffic is encrypted by the handset and cannot be examined by the carrier, when the carriers suddenly realize they are irrelevant.

Experienced computer users can already do this today. You can use a Windows Mobile handset with encrypted email and Skype for Windows Mobile so you have "unlimited minutes" by using the data connection, and Wi-Fi so it doesn't matter whether you're on the cell network or not. The options will only continue to increase.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 05:19:54 pm »
Actually, there is one key feature missing from the existing phone system, that I'm not aware of having been added to other systems yet.

For a numeric only dumb (as in little brains/cpu/identity) phone system I want the Default thing a caller reaches to be a phone menu.  They would have the option of going right to voice mail, or if they know a secret code, using that to log in and actually cause my voice terminal to ring.

The next highest step is having that happen automatically based on establishing who is trying to contact me, and making such an authentication transparent.  Cryptographic software is a good step in that direction, so this is something I'd more likely expect from IM software... but I've not seen ANY such capability.

It's surprising when I think about it.

The next highest step after that is assigning groups and levels within those groups... (For example, Friends, and a friend priority level, as well as work/etc and the same).  Then depending on what busy level you set your self, the authentication happens automatically at different levels.  This way if you have an ubur-priority friend they can interrupt you.  They might also be given the status of using a special group... such as 'death of a friend/in your family/in their family' to escalate privilege temporarily for special circumstances.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:28:12 pm »
Actually, there is one key feature missing from the existing phone system, that I'm not aware of having been added to other systems yet.

For a numeric only dumb (as in little brains/cpu/identity) phone system I want the Default thing a caller reaches to be a phone menu.  They would have the option of going right to voice mail, or if they know a secret code, using that to log in and actually cause my voice terminal to ring.

The next highest step is having that happen automatically based on establishing who is trying to contact me, and making such an authentication transparent.  Cryptographic software is a good step in that direction, so this is something I'd more likely expect from IM software... but I've not seen ANY such capability.

It's surprising when I think about it.

The next highest step after that is assigning groups and levels within those groups... (For example, Friends, and a friend priority level, as well as work/etc and the same).  Then depending on what busy level you set your self, the authentication happens automatically at different levels.  This way if you have an ubur-priority friend they can interrupt you.  They might also be given the status of using a special group... such as 'death of a friend/in your family/in their family' to escalate privilege temporarily for special circumstances.

The idea is good but the effort is misplaced.

Once we move to VoIP (which is sooner than some may think) you won't "leave" voice mail messages by calling an interactive system; they will be "sent" by your client. Perhaps just as emails with audio attachments.

Then the user will set up preferences in their software on how they want to be disturbed or not. I already do this with email, where I have a list of email addresses that cause my phone to alert me (vibrate). However, when I explicitly check email on my phone, I get most of my mail, including messages which do not "alert" me. Only messages from a different list (which is mostly high-volume mailing lists) are excluded.

I do this with a bunch of procmail filters and regular expressions. Unfortunately, only a hacker can set this up; to my knowledge, there's no available system that gives even remotely this level of versatility, that is any easier to use.

A big plus of this is that the procmail filters sort messages into various IMAP folders, which I can access by multiple email clients. None of the clients need to have any awareness of the system; I just set my phone's mail client to use IMAP IDLE on the folder which is my "alert" folder, and alert me for any new mail.

I get notified of new mail in 10-60 seconds. Blackberry takes 20 minutes, because it's stuck in polling land unless you install a big, bloated, probably expensive Blackberry extension to your "corporate" mail server. I'm glad a different big company (Apple) got it so right, by using IMAP IDLE in the iPhone, so that journalists will stop upholding Blackberry as the ideal, when it's actually quite inferior to other options.

And I don't pay a monthly fee to anyone to get push email, other than just to get the email service itself, and the data plan on the phone, which is basically just standard Internet access. It's all free, and based on plugging together readily available componentized parts.

The next step...again, which I can do today (but haven't bothered yet)...is get a voice mail forwarding service which forwards voice mails as audio attachments to emails. They will then open using the media player on my phone, or the computer. Voila! I now have rolled my own "visual voicemail", without needing anything from AT&T or Apple.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 05:42:35 am »
Sort of yes.  Your authentication is implicit, but weak.  It's like asking whoever's dialing in to send their name via a small printed note.  A strong method would involve some type of cryptographic quality proof.  Most likely public key/private key, if you're some normal individual who doesn't believe there's a gov out to get you (and who also doesn't think quantum computing will be remotely commodity within a few years/now); or one time pad (very annoying to do right) otherwise.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 07:48:07 am »
i've seen the i-phones they is pretty neat, but technolgy don't like me much i press a button on the simplest electronical devices and buttons pop off and sparks fly out , I AM NOT KIDDING
that said yay i understood jeffs post
tell ya one thing cell phones dont like!
being dropped into the toilet
it was funny cuz in a stone soup comic the mom did the same, and i was saying so to chris and he was like "SO thats what happend to your old phone"
i was like uhh didnt i mention that?
he said noothe water part yes the other detail no
its so easy to skip the small details...
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 01:52:54 am »
DRAMA!
PROPAGANDA!
FREE ECONOMY!
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:11:52 am »
I have a cell phone and carry it with me almost all the time but 90% of the time I use it to make and receive phone calls.  The other 9% is the Alarm clock option and the 1% is other.

I try to be the least bit annoying when it comes to using my cell phone.  If I'm on a bus, I tell the person where I am and I need to make the call short.  If I'm in the car, there's no guarantee I will answer it unless I know there's something urgent going on.  In public places, I try to go outside or to a quiet spot where no one else is around.

At work there were a number of times when my customer would come to the register while talking on the phone.  Most of them aplogized for it but there were some who were totally oblivious about it.  I think they were also the people who would use a credit card for a 15 cent item.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 11:26:35 am »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »
One thing I forgot to point out in my informative prior post:

My first cell phone had 8 days of battery life.  My next had 5.  Current had 10 new, but it's down to 2 from being thrown across a parking lot twice and falling out of a tree.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>