Author Topic: Did YOUR power go out?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
Did YOUR power go out?
« on: December 03, 2007, 01:16:59 pm »
Mine did! Omg, it came on just now and I screamed out of joy.... -scared- A whole three hours without power...AAAAAAAA!

So, did yours go out? Share your stories! [Of past or current....]

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Did YOUR power go out?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »
Nope, I only had a slight flicker.  My computer stayed on, but I need to reset clocks. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:50:34 pm »
just a flicker here too, there was a hiccup in my internet
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline shadow_shrine

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:51:58 pm »
i wish something fun like that would happen where i live.... D: i like power outages :3
a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:53:57 pm »
MAN! I hate living so far away from all of you.....A flicker....Pffft.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 06:37:04 pm »
Well this is downright strange.  Yesterday my power went off too and it was only on my block.  I only went off for..... 45 minutes maybe.

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:07:44 pm »
yeah we had a flicker at work too. but iit caused a fault in the machine that we run so we had to reset it but thats not that big of a deal :D
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:17 pm »
So I just saw the National News on TV and saw the storm that's passing through the Northwest.

How bad is it for everyone?  They just showed Portland and some flooded streets.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:50 pm »
So I just saw the National News on TV and saw the storm that's passing through the Northwest.

How bad is it for everyone?  They just showed Portland and some flooded streets.

Well parts of I5 in Washington are closed and the areas around Johnson Creek and Foster are pretty bad...well Tillamook has it worse and all the areas around there

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:01:20 am »
I live in the Salem area and though it's been windy, thankfully the power hasn't gone out. But I don't know how I'm going to get out of the driveway tomarrow because there's now a lake at the bottom of my driveway where a stormdrain used to be :(.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 03:02:09 am »
My power's on just fine. But I can't get to the MAX station because the bridge I'd take to get there is currently underwater.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:15:22 am »
Wow, it really is bad over there right now.

I kinda feel bad because I think all of that storm weather came from my neck of the woods not that long ago.
(I know I don't control the weather but oh well)

Be safe and don't get washed away.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 12:03:15 pm »
its not that bad cuz atleast its warm
we had power but near us some peeps didnt we was lucky, tho some peeps at psu didnt have power and its finals week lots of peeps working on fial papers, luckly i did my papers last week
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 12:21:16 pm »
The end of the world was pretty okay. All we lost was Comcast service. No internet, or digital cable. But that's what DBZ comes in handy for.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:25:17 pm »
the areas around Johnson Creek and Foster are pretty bad
yeah an right their next to one the floods is my work XD the bus i take went through probley just before the road was blocked off  :D

although i had to walk 20 blocks today to get to work because they didn't open up the road even though the middle lanes where clear. as well as like 3/4 of the side walk... bounced back and forth to either side to by pass the flooded parts >.<
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 04:49:20 pm »
Not at home.

At work it went down for maybe 10 seconds, but the neat thing was all the computers and phones are hooked up so even if there's a blackout we still have our systems.

Oh and I work for a power company's customer service department so I dealt with almost 22 hours worth of listening to people talk about the power outage.  *headdeskheaddeskheaddesk*
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:51:13 pm by valliegirl »
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 05:07:09 pm »
Not at home.

At work it went down for maybe 10 seconds, but the neat thing was all the computers and phones are hooked up so even if there's a blackout we still have our systems.

Oh and I work for a power company's customer service department so I dealt with almost 22 hours worth of listening to people talk about the power outage.  *headdeskheaddeskheaddesk*

Wow- I'm sorry. That's got to be tough. *offers up sympathy cookie*

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 06:26:54 pm »
Well this is downright strange.  Yesterday my power went off too and it was only on my block.  I only went off for..... 45 minutes maybe.

Well, where I live it's the worst it's been in 11 years. Most buildings are completely flooded [i.e. Walmart..... -.- LOW PRICES WON'T SAVE YOU NOW!!! BWAHAHA!] and a chunk of I-5 has been shut down. We're pretty lucky, seeing as we're not in a shelter, but the Coast Guard had to come in a airlift some people.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »
[i.e. Walmart..... -.- LOW PRICES WON'T SAVE YOU NOW!!! BWAHAHA!]
The following ideas came to mind: ^_^
"Clean up on aisles 1-30."
"Attention customers, we are having a special on inflatable rafts."

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 10:42:09 pm »
I live at Silverlake, we had the power out for about six hours as far as I could tell.

I noticed it was off, because when I woke up, my computer was off.

We havn't had any problems, lately, though.

In fact, it was sunny out today, for awhile.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 03:04:36 am »

Well, where I live it's the worst it's been in 11 years. Most buildings are completely flooded [i.e. Walmart..... -.- LOW PRICES WON'T SAVE YOU NOW!!! BWAHAHA!] and a chunk of I-5 has been shut down. We're pretty lucky, seeing as we're not in a shelter, but the Coast Guard had to come in a airlift some people.

Ah, so you must live near that section of I-5 that is still underwater.  Honestly, if they insist on leaving it there and not building high and dry alternative routes CLOSE to it (A longer then 1 hour delay is unacceptable for a major transit corridor), they need to jack it up like that freeway section I drove over (Twice... on a long driving trip) north of Sacramento CA.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 03:12:28 am »
Oh, and the original topic...

We lost power for somewhere between 30-45 min that evening.  I was asleep until a little after it came back on.  The mythtv didn't have a properly configured default kernel and wouldn't boot... had to startup knoppix over the network (PXElinux to strap the kernel and initrd with arguments for the NFS share of a loopback mounted knoppix dvd iso...), read-only mount one of the root partition's mirrored drives to grab the mdadm.conf file, load it in to the virtual in memory filesystem knoppix uses, mount the boot partition (RW since it's md device was up now), fix it, and finally could load it again...  Everything else was easier as it just needed to be turned back on.

Though the rest of that night (I woke up around midnight) was slightly dodgy... and I decided to drive up to my parents later that day since I was having an odd sleepcycle weekend... Lucky thing too as I5 got flooded out and I Barely made it through the area before it was impossible to find an alternate route through the boonies (forcing detours over the mountains...), My room-mates were instrumental in acting like operators from the matrix to query google-maps for me...

- EDIT -

One additional note... Roadways on google-maps WITHOUT NAMES are usually gated/un-named roadways that you should not count on.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 11:43:02 am »
Well I have some possible bad news for you guys.  Recently a huge storm has been passing through the islands and they closed a lot of schools on the windward side of Oahu.  I'm not on the windward side so I'm fine.  Kauai got hit a little and Maui pretty much shut down.  There were some strong winds and lots of rain and lots of knocked down branches and trees even in my area.
I saw the weather report on the news and, if I had to take an educated guess, the storm is either going to loop back around to us or it might reach you guys in several days.
(I swear it's the weather curse that keeps following me)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 11:49:20 am »
The following ideas came to mind: ^_^
"Clean up on aisles 1-30."
"Attention customers, we are having a special on inflatable rafts."

heee hee  that funny!

i was watching the news and saw al the fooding makes me realize 2 things, we were really lucky we were missed cuz we have TONS of books that are pretty absorbent
and 2 hows my moms place she ives in a flood plain :( and my books are there!!!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:33 pm »
My power went out on friday and I had to postpone the DT600 release party.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>