Author Topic: I failed  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
I failed
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:34:17 am »
I'm feeling rather disappointed in myself at the moment. I failed my GED math test by one question. v.v

I also got a measily 470 on my Writing. Writing, of all my subjects. I'm good at writing, punctuation and grammar!

GED test scores : 410 - passing. 450 - average.
Sayda's SUPPOSED to be test scores : 540+.

I got a 400 on my math.

I'm not a very emotional person, and I've never been upset over my grades before. But this is rather degrading. ~.~;
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Re: I failed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:44:20 am »
Actually that reminds me of when I took the SAT's last... The math section on it was geared towards a first experience with calculus in college, so since I'd spent the last year of HS in AP Calc... I ended up needing to use calculus to try and figure out the volume of a cylinder, because I forgot the easy way to do it...

Or it could just be the absolutely horrible time and format they allow for the tests.  7am on a Saturday?  When students are supposed to be sleeping and recovering from the week?
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:31:46 am »
I was once THAT GUY who says 'Please STOP working. LAY your pencils down. CLOSE your examination books. Place your answer sheet in the front inside cover of your examination booklet with the notch in the upper right corner ... "

Please don't shoot me for it ...

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »
Actually that reminds me of when I took the SAT's last... The math section on it was geared towards a first experience with calculus in college, so since I'd spent the last year of HS in AP Calc... I ended up needing to use calculus to try and figure out the volume of a cylinder, because I forgot the easy way to do it...

Or it could just be the absolutely horrible time and format they allow for the tests.  7am on a Saturday?  When students are supposed to be sleeping and recovering from the week?

I am not a morning person. I sleep anywhere from 3 - 5 AM to 12 - 2 PM. My test began at noon, which wasn't as bad I suppose.
The first half of the test we were allowed to have calculators, and I think I did really well on that part. But once the calculator was taken away from me for the second half, I didn't do so well. I don't know how to multiply decimals, or reduce fractions, or any of that because I never learned it. Without a calculator I still count on my fingers and mess up easily.

The last math class I completed was back in 8th grade, throughout high school I refused to take math because I was so bad at it, and I didn't want to put up with the frustration. But, I guess now I'm paying for it.

I was once THAT GUY who says 'Please STOP working. LAY your pencils down. CLOSE your examination books. Place your answer sheet in the front inside cover of your examination booklet with the notch in the upper right corner ... "

Please don't shoot me for it ...

You were a GED instructor, or something else?
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 04:21:04 pm »
I think he's talking about SATs or a similar type of test... I was talking about standardized tests in general, the SAT in specific since it's the closest thing I've taken.

As far as decimal numbers; ignore the decimal, multiply like two larger normal numbers, then put the decimal in so that the total number (including any 0's you had to write) of digits to the right 'on top' are also on 'the bottom'.

Fractions... well there it pays to know a lot about factoring and primes (for reducing and for finding lowest common denominator).  However most things can be brute forced and then reduced later, you just work with larger address spaces.  Not really too much of an issue on normal paper, or for normally small, sane, numbers in more complex digital systems... however that's getting beyond your scope.  Oh, and usually for trivial things 'floating point' numbers are faster and easier to work with. (I say trivial, because they are always approximations, usually good enough that it doesn't matter, but it's easy to make mistakes with them that amplify the loss of precision.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 06:59:19 pm »
Can you retake the test?  If so, I'd be happy to offer any basic help with the Math free of charge.  I'm technically still in High School, but I'm currently finishing up Math 251 via PSU and have a history of exemplary scores in Mathematics. (got 73 on the Math part of the PSAT.  That's the equivalent of 730 on the SAT; I guess they think underclassmen can't handle 0's or something)

Just shoot me a PM informing me specifically of the areas you wish to improve and I can offer tips, advice, or whatever, or just ask it here and I'll answer next time I'm checking this thread.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline anime_rocker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:48:17 pm »
 okay so maybe i'm in jr. high, but i'm pretty good at reducing fractions so i might be able to help on that one. as for prime numbers... another reason i think the school board should go jump off a cliff, and be done with it.

but don't get discouraged! some things take a little more practice, that's all! i'm currently in pre- algebra and am still struggling a little bit. i'm sure if you go ask ur teacher for some pointers you'll do better! keep your chin up and stay focused! luvs~!
i wanna be a mongoose. can i be a mongoose dog?

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:14 am »
So... you can't do primes?  You don't get primes?  Or you don't see why they're useful?

Prime numbers are very useful in integer contexts (and pretty much useless elsewhere).  For example, if a frequency is based on a prime number, and has low convergence (very scarce prime density around it) it would be something good for applications that are harmed by resonance, but poor for something that is helped by it. (WARNING: I'm completely making that statement up based on my perception of how the world works and trying to arbitrarily apply something I think might be interesting to it... It sounds like it makes sense, but it could just be one more bad idea.)

Primes are also useful for making work, in the long run, easier by removing redundant information to make equivalent representations with smaller numbers.

The rules for primes are very easy to state, but progressively more difficult to apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number
In mathematics, a prime number (or a prime) is a natural number which has exactly two distinct natural number divisors: 1 and itself. An infinitude of prime numbers exists, as demonstrated by Euclid in about 300 BC. The first thirty prime numbers are:

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113
    (sequence A000040 in OEIS)

In your homework, you'll never use larger then those numbers* (*until after lower level college at least...), and by the time you will need to use larger, you'll generally have a computer doing it for you automatically, or will be working at a higher level with them and be beyond the scope of this pitiful explanation.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:48:03 pm »
That's why you take math at community college anyway. It will be better than most places. They have professors who actually want to teach the stuff, and tutors who want to get paid for actually helping you.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:52 pm »
So... you can't do primes?  You don't get primes?  Or you don't see why they're useful?

Prime numbers are very useful in integer contexts (and pretty much useless elsewhere).  For example, if a frequency is based on a prime number, and has low convergence (very scarce prime density around it) it would be something good for applications that are harmed by resonance, but poor for something that is helped by it. (WARNING: I'm completely making that statement up based on my perception of how the world works and trying to arbitrarily apply something I think might be interesting to it... It sounds like it makes sense, but it could just be one more bad idea.)

Primes are also useful for making work, in the long run, easier by removing redundant information to make equivalent representations with smaller numbers.

The rules for primes are very easy to state, but progressively more difficult to apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number
In mathematics, a prime number (or a prime) is a natural number which has exactly two distinct natural number divisors: 1 and itself. An infinitude of prime numbers exists, as demonstrated by Euclid in about 300 BC. The first thirty prime numbers are:

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101, 103, 107, 109, 113
    (sequence A000040 in OEIS)

In your homework, you'll never use larger then those numbers* (*until after lower level college at least...), and by the time you will need to use larger, you'll generally have a computer doing it for you automatically, or will be working at a higher level with them and be beyond the scope of this pitiful explanation.

I don't think I can do either. I understand primes to some point, though. Thank you for your explanation, I'm going to be working on fractions soon to boost my skill level.

okay so maybe i'm in jr. high, but i'm pretty good at reducing fractions so i might be able to help on that one. as for prime numbers... another reason i think the school board should go jump off a cliff, and be done with it.

but don't get discouraged! some things take a little more practice, that's all! i'm currently in pre- algebra and am still struggling a little bit. i'm sure if you go ask ur teacher for some pointers you'll do better! keep your chin up and stay focused! luvs~!

You're in a much higher level of math than me. Which is pathetic in my case, considering if I were still in High School I'd be considered a Senior. But thank you for your encouragement.  :)

Can you retake the test?  If so, I'd be happy to offer any basic help with the Math free of charge.  I'm technically still in High School, but I'm currently finishing up Math 251 via PSU and have a history of exemplary scores in Mathematics. (got 73 on the Math part of the PSAT.  That's the equivalent of 730 on the SAT; I guess they think underclassmen can't handle 0's or something)

Just shoot me a PM informing me specifically of the areas you wish to improve and I can offer tips, advice, or whatever, or just ask it here and I'll answer next time I'm checking this thread.

Yes, I can retake the test. My mother said she'd offer me help, but based on how well she does (because math easily frustrates me, and her assistance with it when I was younger only got me angry.) I might ask for your help. ~.~
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
Have you looked into taking classes at a community college for math? You may end up with a HS diploma though, I don't know if you want that.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 03:36:50 pm »
I looked into it yesterday. I'm going to take a GED class for math to help me, and after I complete my GED I'm going to attend a Community College to earn my credits before going into a University. It will be enthralling. ._.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 04:01:06 pm »
I hope you don't get your desired career side-tracked by the lack of math, like mine did. Or, the why I am an English major instead of something more lucrative.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »
e.e; That would be horrible. I am willing to work my hardest to pass the math I need in order to proceed into what I want to do. Being a police officer shouldn't require TOO much math.

I hope that you can somehow still become what you want to be.
AX :
- Debut Cosplay