Author Topic: Wig Styling Help  (Read 1577 times)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
Wig Styling Help
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:27:51 am »
Ok. So I've never styled a wig before, and I'm terrified to do so. o.o I'm planning on being Axel from Kingdom Hearts 2, and I need major help with a wig. >.>' I barely have any money, so it has to be pretty cheap. So I was wondering if I get a wig, someone could maybe help me style? >.> Like....idk. Hang out at my house and style away? lol

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Re: Wig Styling Help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 10:22:54 am »
I'm gonna give some advice here, since I'm good at that bit.

You need a base wig, a good base wig. Cheap base wigs do not make good wigs!

You'll need to get a wig longer than what your style is. So you can style it properly. My suggestion for color, never go for completely accurate, get what looks good on you.

Now for Axel.... I suggest this wig, http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_punky_xl.html

Supplies...
Comb, reference pictures, hairspray (I use Aquanet, cheap and good hold!), really, really strong hair glue, and a wig head.

Seriously, styling a wig on a wig head makes life so much easier than not.

You don't have to spend copious amounts of money on a base wig, but doing it right the first time is much better than restyling it over and over.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Hashi

• Bunnygirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »
I agree with the person above, but also, when I did my Sora wig, I actually stuck skewers in the base of the wig head and duct taped it to the wall, Gravity helps a lot when making huge spikes!

Aquanet is god, and...dont rush it. if the base of the wig isnt teased already, tease it where you want bigger spikes, and then put other hair around it so it looks smooth.

hair glue the tips of the spikes,if the hair at the top will stay together, the rest of the spike has a better chance of staying together.
Kumoricon:
Jet [atla]
Jet [MAoH]
Man-delaide [HINABN]
Mephisto [AnE]

カヲルはあなたの罪のために死んだ!
"Wanna be a Freedom Fighter?"

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:10 pm »
Like was said on the KHII topic, check out the forums of various cosplay sites, like cosplay.com and amphigory.com (I think they have a forum >>). They usually have tutorials on wig styling, especially for spiky hair.

I agree with the_wind_the_sea Hashi with all they said. But If you're going to fill a wig with gel and hairspray anyway, I don't think it's really necessary to buy a good quality wig. I always look for wigs with the right length and color I want, and then the cheapest one of those. : P If it's going to end up a solid mess of spikes, fiber quality isn't as important me thinks. Just my opinion. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman