Author Topic: Where to buy wigs?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Leonal Guardinal

• Oni
Where to buy wigs?
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:29:52 pm »
This will be my first year cosplaying as characters that'll require me to wear a wig, two in fact (D: Amazing I could last this long, considering my hair color, really...), and I was wondering where people buy wigs from, and what, if anything, I should know while buying it. You should also post something in the other wig thread that's up~

I also have a sort of related question! Should I buy two wigs (which I'd rather not do) or cut and dye my hair to match one chatracter and buy a wig for the other? If it helps, I'm going as Fransizka van Karma (Phoenix Wright) and Vexen (Kingdom Hearts).

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Re: Where to buy wigs?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:47:05 pm »
I buy my wigs from one place.

http://www.amphigory.com

I love that place. Prices are fair, nice wig and color choices. Yep.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:02:59 pm »
You can also get wigs from Cosworx.com. Those seem to be the most popular places that I've heard of.

When buying a wig, always buy a wig longer than you need if you plan on styling (maybe not as important for Vexen, but better safe than sorry : P ). Then look at color and price. You really just need to shop around until you find the best combination of those three things. Then look through the cosplay.com forums for various styling tutorials to help you figure out what all you'll need to do to get your wig how you want it.

As for your hair, it all depends on if you want either or those characters' hair. ^^ If you don't mind dying and styling your own hair, and if it ends up being cheaper than buying a wig, then it's worth considering. If you don't think you can style or dye your own hair, and therefore would need to pay someone to do it, I'd choose whichever is the cheaper option.
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:38 pm »
Do you live anywhere in the Portland-Metro area? There's a great little vintage store called "Ray Ragtime" in downtown Portland that sells wigs. And their prices a pretty fair.

There are actually a bunch of neat little vintage and 2nd-hand clothing shops in Portland- and they sell wigs!