Author Topic: Shep Cosplay~Interstella 5555  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Shep Cosplay~Interstella 5555
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:17:31 pm »
Im going to be doing a Shep cosplay this year. If you dont know the name, he is the hero character from Interstella 5555.
Im still really new to this so Im going to post my ideas and you guys let me know what you think.
Here are some pictures:
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208311
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208171
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208184

So far Ive been thinking about using a purple spandex body suit and sewing the red parts on from a red spandex body suit. But what would you guys think about using a sweater material instead?

My chief areas of concern are the zippers which appear to go from just above the belly button all the way up the neck, and from the groin up the right side to the arm pit. seen here:
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208062
I think I should do a lapped zipper to maintain the color all the way up, but Im not familiar with working with zippers. Are they easy to use with spandex or sweater material?

Next up are the boots. Examples are seen here:
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208258
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208062
I was thinking the best way to do these would be to either to put boots inside of the full body suit and add color appropriately or find a pair of boots that look similar and glue the fabric/design to them. I was thinking rain boots. Ideas?

And Lastly I foresee a problem making the collar as its rather large and needs to be able to hold itself up.
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208117
http://www.animegalleries.net/img/208184
I was thinking making it a separate item, sewing two sides together and stuffing it with some sort of cotton or cardboard kind of thing. And then sewing the separate item into the rest of the costume. Any other Ideas for this are greatly appreciated.

I dont expect to have much problem with the shoulder rings but I would appreciate any suggestions, as well as any ideas for how to make his cuffs, they dont appear to be gloves. However perhaps it would be easier to just get gloves and sew the fabric in or paint them. Or is it worth it to make gloves?

Dont worry if I go with the spandex option I'll wear underwear two sizes too small to keep the package from scaring people.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:04:23 pm by Daxe »

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
Re: Shep Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:23:56 pm »
I'm no expert in sewing, but I hear interfacing works wonders for collars that need to stand up...cos I was researching it (originally planning to do an Akatsuki cosplay so yeah)

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
Re: Shep Cosplay
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:20:26 am »
YAY~ Shep cosplay! *dances* Totally awesome! X3

Anywho, I can't help you much with the collar or zippers, but I bet any Akatsuki or Organization XIII cosplayers can help you with that. ^^ I do think for the boots that rain boots would work as long as they had a heel. Unless you don't care so much about that detail. : P But I would totally go with just putting fabric over them.

And... I guess that's all I can help with. Sorry. >.o But look around at the Akatsuki cosplays and see how they did their collars. Good luck! ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
Re: Shep Cosplay~Interstella 5555
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:41 pm »
All I can say is "One More Time." 8)

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:06 pm »
Oh my god! Shep!!!! *tackleglomps* That is what I will do to you at the con! But not so aggressive! ;D I can't sew worth crud, but good luck!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 11:04:13 pm »
shameless bump

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:21:52 pm »
all i can say is this would be totally one of the most awesome things if you pulled it off. ive entertained doing the band a couple of times but always kinda fall short in the ethnic friends department when looking for someone to be the keyboardplayer/lead singer.

as far as fabric choice is concerned id think about the whole space aspect of the piece. its got a very retro feel about it, so maybe going and taking a look at the costumes in some old sci fi movies (im talking 1940s-60s) would be some good inspiration.  Also consider the fact that the anime is an artistic representation of the costume, and not necessarily "accurate"  when concerning real life fabrics.  you might have some success in using non elastic fabrics, like a twill for example (well ok a stretch twill but thats nothing like spandex, think han solo, hes got tight pants and they aren't spandex hes in space...yeah).  part of the reason i say this is spandex is very tricky to work with and putting zippers in it is no cake walk.

anyway thats all i have to say right now.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 10:35:59 pm »
stretch twill? Ill have to go to joanne fabrics and see if they have something like that.
Thanks.

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:07 am »
I can't help much with sewing tips, but if you venture to Fabric Depot(122nd & Stark), you can probably find everything you need and then some for a better price than at JoAnn.
Also, I know someone who will quite be swooning over this cosplay. She's a very big fan. XD

Offline Ouka-chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 09:41:24 am »
*is already swooning* I LOVE the Interstella 5555 videos. And there can ALWAYS be more cosplays of it! <3 I will definitely be on the lookout to take a picture. ^^
;D 08': My first Kumoricon EVAR
~Secret Cosplay~
Shiki: The World Ends With You [Subarashiki Kono Sekai]
Haha lazy...more like fickle!

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:21:01 pm »
always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always
...........*Breath*..............
go to fabric depot. once a month, generally the first weekend of the month (sometimes friday saturday, sometimes friday sunday) they have a 40% off sale, which is wholesale price. and...damn 40% is a big discount.

HOWEVER, if! you are buying a large amount of the same fabric for something (i think depending on the brand of fabric 5-9 yards depending, and for buttons its 6 cards) you can just take it back to the wholesale counter and get the discount anytime.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:10 am »
I approve of this cosplay idea and was also thinking of doing the blue version of Arpegius, possibly complete with guitar. This gives me some incentive! ^-^
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Ouka-chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:00:00 am »
I approve of this cosplay idea and was also thinking of doing the blue version of Arpegius, possibly complete with guitar. This gives me some incentive! ^-^
OMG BLUE ARPEGIUS?! ;D! This con might just easily be a fulfilling of my crazy fangirl-ness. lols.... XD
I'll be watching out for you, you I5555 cosplayers~
~Secret Cosplay~

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 07:16:48 pm »

DO IT. plz?

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:16:26 am »
Haha well I will see what I can do. The outfit itself doesn't look like it woukd be too terribly difficult. Once I'm done with fanime I'll start working on it :p
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:05 am »
*____*

Offline Ouka-chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:27 pm »
~Secret Cosplay~

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »
Ahhhh, Shep is my favorite <3 <3 <3
*swoons*
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »
This may be the first time in all of anime adoration that I might actually get a nosebleed.... Must pack hanky! :D
Secrety secrets!