Author Topic: COSPLAY PROGRESS thread 2008  (Read 139267 times)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Re: COSPLAY PROGRESS thread 2008
« Reply #450 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:10 pm »
I'm so excitied, I just ordered my new Matt wig! >w< Now I'll just have to dye it when it gets here. It shouldn't hurt my head like my old one did. ^^b

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #451 on: August 04, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
sweet having your head hurt must suck. I remember my first con my boots hurt my feet, they got all blistered 
so I wrapped them. seeing as how I was rock lee I just took some of my extra arm wrap stuff and used it on my feet, it worked out fine.
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #452 on: August 04, 2008, 08:54:15 pm »
Tell me about it. Last year my head was hurting so bad it was giving me a stomach ache. Then in '05 I was cosplaying as Shadow, and my boots were hurting like hell. >< Oh the sacrifices for cosplay!

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #453 on: August 04, 2008, 09:00:42 pm »
Got rid of the scuff marks using this scuff liquid. Now if I can get this damn tin of polish to open. Thing's a mother to rip off ><

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #454 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:36 pm »
Got a blond wig at part city for $15 I have to style it.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #455 on: August 04, 2008, 09:18:04 pm »
Risotto, try hot water and banging against the floor/counter? Or pry it open with a fork?

;3 Good luck styling Sugarlat!

x_x My wigs at most sort of cut off the "heat escapes from your head" a lot so I'd get dizzy if I stood too long. Thus important to eat lots of solid foods and drink water.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #456 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:40 pm »
x_x My wigs at most sort of cut off the "heat escapes from your head" a lot so I'd get dizzy if I stood too long. Thus important to eat lots of solid foods and drink water.

Very true. Water is very important, especially last year with the heat. >< You have no idea how much the little water stations/a cheap fan I bought in the dealer's room helped me in my Matt costume. If it weren't for them I would have no doubt passed out. ;^; I'll have to be more careful this year. But hopefully my new wig will help.

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:42 pm »
I need to eat this year. I never wanted to leave and there wasn't much food within the hotel.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2008, 01:13:18 am »

Very true. Water is very important, especially last year with the heat. >< You have no idea how much the little water stations/a cheap fan I bought in the dealer's room helped me in my Matt costume. If it weren't for them I would have no doubt passed out. ;^; I'll have to be more careful this year. But hopefully my new wig will help.

Good point. I didn't even think of that aspect of wearing a wig. I really hope I can deal with it, because I have horrible heat coping mechanisms already. I have zero tolerance for any sort of warmth, so the slightest heat increase will make me drenched with sweat. Hopefully the wig will breath somewhat well.  :-\

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2008, 01:53:02 am »
Wear your wigs for about 10 hours during a day at home well before the con and in the kind of stuffy heat you think you might have to endure at the convention - from waiting in line to hot rooms, to cool rooms.

And wash your hair. I can't stress this enough. I didn't wash my hair once at a convention and the second day wearing the wig it itched my hair from the oils made and the sweat and I felt like fainting. I had to go back to the hotel room during the day and miss the fun so I could take another shower and wash my hair, then get the wig back on without anyone to help me.

Comfy shoes = comfy knees, hips, and lower back. I stress this a lot because I have bad knees and bad shoes make me for a grumpy person.
Most of the heat in your body escapes through your head and your feet- all covered up in a costume no matter what the temperature of the room you're in- is going to keep you VERY warm.

Get those big store bought waterbottles and carry that with you. It's what I do. And carry a bag of pretzels or crackers (nothing to make you really thirsty) for food on hand. You'll find yourself eating and snacking to rebuild your energ.y
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:05 am »
Very good tips!
I've never worn a wig so I'm surprised it concerns so much!
I'll be switching wigs a couple of times so yeah ^_^
I donno how I'll manage but I'll make sure to take a shower everyday when I get home!
Shoes I donno, for Simca I'll be in skates or boots.
I just hope i don't have to stay in them to long...Boots hurt my feet!
I'm still waiting on my other wigs to arrive from hong kong and what not so I'm excited!

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2008, 05:14:36 am »
Hey, it's Awesome Matt!!  Hi, Awesome Matt!!  I'm sad to know that your awesome wig hurt your head, but I'm glad to know that you are getting a new one! 
You know, it was hot last year.  Furry vest= not exactly warm weather clothing, huh?   :-\
Oh the sacrifices we make to look awesome.
I personally hope the weather's more mild this year, because my costumes tend to be heavier.

And for the folks talking about trouble finding time/opportunity to eat, I carry Clif bars to satisfy my need for fuel on the go.  I sound like I'm writing an ad for them, huh?   :-X  Granola/energy bars that have pretty decent nutritional content and taste good are sooo convenient and help you stay energized.
I really recommend getting at least one decent meal a day though.  My roomies kept PB&J, bread and other dry foodstuffs in our room.  Or dash away somewhere for a sandwich.
Water is essential.
If you have a hotel room, buy like, a 24-pack of bottled water and stash it in there.  My roomies are lucky because I always keep them hydrated!
If you have a car close by, stash it in the trunk.  Luckily water is okay at room temp, and still very nourishing.

Anyway, here's my cosplay progress:
Takano:  Got skirt, corset, top, cape, beret.  Need to remove the rest of the embroidery from the beret.  Need to add details to the corset.  If I find a similar blouse in a smaller size, I'm gonna snatch it up, because the one I have is a bit baggy.  Need to assess cape to decide if what I want to do with it will work.  Need to hit up Joann's for material for scarf/cape clasp thing.
Ordered what looks like the perfect wig from Amphigory.  I'm so psyched!!

Kyoko
:  Found top and apron, removed pockets from apron.  Need to dye apron and modify string.  Have yellow dye.  Need to make "PIYO PIYO" design.  Need to figure out what I want to do for pants/shoes.  Need hair ribbon.  Need to hit up JoAnn!  Ordered an amazing looking wig from Amphigory.  Eager to modify it!!  NEED PROPER BROOM.
Need to get my manga back from my friend so I have reference materials close by!!  Damn me for pushing my favorite manga onto my friend like, "READ THIS!" and then going, "oh wait, I need that!!"  XD

Tohma:  I...I LOVE this look I have assembled so far.  I just think I'm going to feel entirely pimp in this outfit.  Need to modify jacket and add big fluffy pimpin' furry trim.  Need to make gloves to match top.  Do I want shiny pants?  Ordered wig from Amphigory, got a sweet deal on it.  NEED HAT.

And I practiced a bunch of deranged/pimpin'/demure looks in the mirror.  I need to have poses for photos, dangit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:17:05 am by misamisa »
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2008, 07:23:54 am »
my progress...
Rikku: i found shoes last night and i neeed to take off a tag thats on the outside><who putts tags on the ouside grr! but i also went to joanns and got evry thing i need for the shoes. i found the fabric i need for rikku's shirt...but it was expensive so i have to wait till i get payed (no im not old i just work with my best friend at her parents building). i also found an awsome belt that works perfect except my yellow doesnt fit on it so i need to buy more yellow

Misha: i finished the design around the bottom, cut out the pattern for the pj pants, and bought felt for the wings. all i have to do is make the wings, sew them on, make a tail, sew it on, buy a wig and buy some kind of shoes.

Tsukasa: i am pretty much in the same spot except i found a shirt that i can modify and i got extra blue for the sleeve cuffs. i still need to finish the skirt and shirt, finish the scool bag, buy socks, shoes, and a wig

other: i actually jogged a mile this morning like i said i would =D, and i have $7.00 saved up for spending at kumoricon in quarters nickles and dimes :D...(no thats not all i also have spending money in the bank)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:40:27 am by nyahaha »
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2008, 07:30:08 am »
Well no Arpegius this year, just been too busy with other things. I think I might try to have it for AUSA if I go to that or Sakura-con at the latest.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:37 am »
I have the majority of my stuff done if I do anything else it is either because I want to go the extra step or what I have I don't like

Temari: The costume itself is done and ready to go. I would like to remake the shoes because they wont stay on my feet when I walk. I am also going to get my hair dyed one more time

Albel: For Albel I need to make the shoulder armor and style the wig just a little more. And it looks like Saturday I might be going to a flea market with Sayda to get contacts (yay!)

So my list is nice and short. Thats one of the good things about getting your costumes done early. You can focus on what needs to be improved and what could be added. So my tip of the day: Start your costumes as soon as you can. I started Temari like two weeks before kcon lite and it was ready to wear there (even though I didn't) and I started Albel around the last week of school and maybe two or three days into summer break I finished it.

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:13 am »
I almost had a major set back today. I woke up, and felt my lip ring was gone. I pried open the couch(I was sleeping there) and found my eyebrow ring instead. and then I was concerned. somehow while I was sleeping both my lip and eyebrow ring had fallen out while I was sleeping. so I took my eyebrow ring, ran upstairs to the bathroom, sanitized it, and luckily it went back in without pain. then I realized that my lip had probably healed up and that I needed to get it open again. so I put my eyebrow ring through my lip and it hurt more than getting it pierced in the first place. from there I went back to the couch, pulled off all the cushions,  slowly unraveled my blanket, searched through everything, but I find nothing. so im crawling on my hands and knees looking on my living room carpet and I see it under my couch. I grabbed it, ran back up to the bathroom, sanitize it, pushed it through my lip, and it hurt more than the eyebrow ring >:(  all and all my cosplay piercings are still a go. but now im sick AND my face hurts
If I had've known that people would call me my forum name at the con, I wouldn't of picked something so dumb.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #466 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:33 am »
wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I had to put my friends upper ear piercing back in and I almost puked/fainted. The skin healed over so I had to make a new hole through it. It was horrible.

I'm glad that you got them back in though. I hope you feel better soon.

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #467 on: August 05, 2008, 09:47:48 am »
omg o.o that would suck! Thank goodness you found them ^-^

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #468 on: August 05, 2008, 09:48:06 am »
I took my cold meds, but they were my last 2. I have another 5 hours of happiness. and I just realized I have to shave for con. I love my beard :( right before school I'll be beardless; not the way I wanted to start the new year. oh well.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #469 on: August 05, 2008, 09:49:17 am »
i hope you feel better, no getting sick for the con! good thing you found the piercings tho :D

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #470 on: August 05, 2008, 09:50:29 am »
lol, thats just totally made me think of something, can you imagine if something like that happens to a pien cosplayer and they had all of piens real piercings??? O_O ouch...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #471 on: August 05, 2008, 09:52:30 am »
That's brutal, man. Eesh... What kind of rings do you wear in your piercings? Maybe you should switch to Captive Bead Rings, they tend to stay in well.

But I'm glad to hear you still have your holes intact, heh.

As for me, today should be a day of great progress. If all goes according to plan, I will get my wood cut for my cannon, I will go to a wig shop and buy a wig or either end up ordering a wig online, I will start working on cutting and sewing the top and/or pants for my Azul. So yes, I have a lot to do today, but it will be great to get some stuff actually accomplished.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:54:24 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #472 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:07 am »
I have surgical steel ring and a barbell.  I've never had that problem before I dunno why it happened now hopefully it wont happen at con.

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #473 on: August 05, 2008, 09:58:34 am »
So who are you going as? :3

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #474 on: August 05, 2008, 09:59:33 am »
me or him? im going as Bob Makihara.

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #475 on: August 05, 2008, 10:07:30 am »
Oh thats cool ^^

I was asking anyone :3

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #476 on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:12 am »
im going as misha, tsukasa and maybe rikku

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #477 on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:30 am »
Ah, I'll be going as Barret Wallace (FFVII:AC) and Azul the Cerulean (FFVII:DoC).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #478 on: August 05, 2008, 10:09:35 am »
I'm glad you are getting stuff done Eve. You really don't have a lot of time left and that costume isn't the easiest thing in the world. I hope you don't run into any problems. If you do end up ordering any wigs on line I know a great store on ebay. I love the wig I got there and everyone is asking if its my real hair ^_^

Offline Bob

• Chibi
« Reply #479 on: August 05, 2008, 10:11:43 am »
im tired, I was up until 4 last night, this is wayyyyy to early for me right now. hopefully I'll see you guys at the forum meet up panel?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #480 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:43 am »
I may show up for a little bit

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #481 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:48 am »
Yeah, time is really going by quickly now. I'm happy that Kumoricon will be here so soon, but also...you know, I've got lots to do. But clothing-wise the costume isn't too hard, the complexity is mostly in his weapon. I'm sure I will be able to get it done though. ^_^ I can do it!

And I have a wig that seems perfect bookmarked on Amphigory, but we'll see what I find at this wig shop. I might check out that store you mentioned though; sounds pretty nice.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #482 on: August 05, 2008, 10:14:25 am »
sure! ill try!^-^

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2008, 10:15:47 am »
As long as the Forum Meet-Up Panel isn't at the same time as the FF PHotoshoot, I'll probably be there.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2008, 10:19:52 am »
Ah, those are great. That last one actually looks really really good! Saa....now I have to decide which one to go with. Those wigs really are fantastic. Thanks for showing those to me. Price-wise and everything, those seem to be the best choice. I still am going to go to that wig shop to get my head measured properly, but I think I may be going with that second one. It is perfect. ^_^ My only problem is I know nothing about styling or cutting or any of that, but I know I can figure that out with Kahlan's help, I'm sure.

Ah, that wig is amazing! Thanks again, lol. *happy dance*

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:05 am »
I love their wigs. They have so many different choices. And some of the sales last a short period of time but you ca always check and maybe you could find the same wig a little cheaper. As for styling the back to get that kind of hair style all you need to do is hold the wig upside down and spray it with hair spray and let it dry upside down. (I did this last night and it got the same results, though the wig I was using is much shorter) As for cutting I am not the one to ask. I am bad at cutting wigs and because of that I haven't even thought about cutting my new one.
I'm glad that I could help ^_^

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2008, 10:25:25 am »
do you know how to staighten wigs? i read a few "taking care of wig" things but they all say dont use hot stuff. is there another way?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:31 am »
I would say lay the wig down and pull the it so that it is straight and laying like it normally would then put some books over the ends and spray it with hair spray, but I don't really know. The thing that I would be afraid of is that it wouldn't move and it might not look natural.

You could also put it on someone or if you have a wig head put it on that. Spray it with hair spray and use a hair dryer (On the cool setting, most of them have a button that you can hold down for cold air) and pull it straight as you go.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:30:03 am by nikkiolie »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:43 am »
I love their wigs. They have so many different choices. And some of the sales last a short period of time but you ca always check and maybe you could find the same wig a little cheaper. As for styling the back to get that kind of hair style all you need to do is hold the wig upside down and spray it with hair spray and let it dry upside down. (I did this last night and it got the same results, though the wig I was using is much shorter) As for cutting I am not the one to ask. I am bad at cutting wigs and because of that I haven't even thought about cutting my new one.
I'm glad that I could help ^_^

Ah, great idea. Thanks for that and yeah, you're an awesome help. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #490 on: August 05, 2008, 10:31:11 am »
yay! I did good. I am trying to get the Albel wig to be kinda piecy and spiked a little in the back but when I tried it like that it was way too spiked and it looked like Sasuke's hair x.x

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:12 am »
thank you for the help! :D

Offline HatakeGirlX

• Catgirl
« Reply #492 on: August 05, 2008, 10:34:46 am »
-gasp!-

No not the duck butt hair! :O

lol

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #493 on: August 05, 2008, 10:35:36 am »
XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #494 on: August 05, 2008, 10:36:21 am »
yay! I did good. I am trying to get the Albel wig to be kinda piecy and spiked a little in the back but when I tried it like that it was way too spiked and it looked like Sasuke's hair x.x

haha, duck butt hair indeed. Well good luck getting that sorted. I don't know about styling so I can't suggest anything, but good luck allthesame. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #495 on: August 05, 2008, 10:40:11 am »
I have gotten it to mostly what I want it. I'll post a picture just a sec.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:41 am »
here we go

I wanted the more natural looking spikes instead of copying exactly the way it looks in pictures.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:43:56 am by nikkiolie »

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #497 on: August 05, 2008, 10:45:34 am »
CRUD!!!!!!!! i lost the ENGLISH instructions to my skirt pattern!;^; i still have the instructions in another language...but i cant tell wut language cuz i cant read it! :'( *sniffle*  btw the wig looks good :D

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #498 on: August 05, 2008, 10:46:44 am »
nevermind...they were in my room under a pile of junk :D

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #499 on: August 05, 2008, 10:50:11 am »
Thanks. I am working on getting that one little area to do the same.....it's giving me problems though >_< But I love this wig. This is the one that I got of the store that I showed you Eve (It didn't have the blond on it though I added that ^_^)

I'm glad you found your instructions, now get to work on that skirt!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:50:32 am by nikkiolie »