Author Topic: Dollfies?  (Read 7324 times)

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
Dollfies?
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:03:08 pm »
BJD.. Balljoint doll... Dollfie..
I've seen one of these dolls at the kumoricon last year (it was so pretty..)
Would anyone know any place I could buy one of those dolls without online shopping?
... Besides Japan? :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:21:41 pm by Vassa »

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
Re: Dollfies?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:42:56 pm »
Um... I think they make some cheerleader Barbie dolls with joints...

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:58 pm »
No, no barbie. >.<

These dolls are just below 2 feet and you can change their hair and eyes.
They look anime-ish.
Very neat, but very expensive...

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »
I highly doubt you can purchase them off line, unless you know someone personally that makes/sells them in the area.

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:29:10 pm »
Ehhh, I was afraid of that...
D:

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:54:18 am »
Are these the kind of dolls ... *skims through Japan Ai*... VOLKS has?

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 01:26:35 am »
Yes, I do believe so. *is scared that he somehow knows this*
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:02:53 am »
Yes, I do believe so. *is scared that he somehow knows this*
I've been through Japan and remember seeing the dolls a few times but the only way I know the name is from the manga "Japan Ai" by Aimee Major Steinberger.

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:11:39 pm »
Yes, those dolls. :3

Offline Neku

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 06:27:51 pm »
I believe that Volks has a US store in Cali somewhere, but anywhere near here, I don't remember there being a place that sells them.  I've been looking at getting one too, but I was going to go through Lutts, until they no longer carried the minifee, (mini dollfie), now I have to go through dollfairyland.com for her.  But for anyone selling them here, I don't believe there is a place, but i could be wrong.

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 08:14:55 pm »
Agh!
Maybe I could ask my friends to get me one while they're in Japan...
>.>

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 12:24:22 am »
The only place I know of in the area, is Dolls and Friends in Bellevue, WA. 

http://www.dollsandfriends.com

I've been there once, it's a really neat store. :D  Hope this helps you a bit.

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:58 am »
The only place I know of in the area, is Dolls and Friends in Bellevue, WA. 

http://www.dollsandfriends.com

I've been there once, it's a really neat store. :D  Hope this helps you a bit.
Wow, I'm definitely checking this out.
Thanks a bunch! <3

Offline Rainfeather

• Sailor Scout
    • Firebead
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 04:19:09 am »
One really good site where I got my doll is the forums on http://denofangels.com :3

Most of them are pretty nice, and I suggest getting to know people a little, you can find out a lot of interesting things. Also, you have to post a certain number of times so you can actually look at the stuff for sale, due to the people who kept scamming. Good luck finding what you need! If you have any questions, you're free to pm me. :3
Red Mage at heart.

Offline Rai180990648

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 07:23:31 pm »
I have one of them  ;)  I might bring him to Kumoricon this year.
The only Dollfie places I know of where you don't have to shop online for them is the shops in Japan, and the Volks store in California.
Sorry that I wasn't much help  :P

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 05:49:28 pm »
ERaine: Its a very neat store. Thank you for the link!

Rai: You do? Please bring it if you can! I love seeing them around the con.

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:43 am »
The big ones are super expensive, but yes, there is a store in LA that sells them called Tenshi-no-Sumika. 

Me and my friends all got the smaller sized Dollfie Plus.  They're a foot or so high, you can still change out the eyes and hair, and you can still afford to pay rent afterwards.  :)  I don't know if that's an issue for you, but it was for us.  The Dollfie Plus runs about 30 bucks, and eyes and hair 6-20 bucks, depending if you get knockoff or name brand.

They're smaller, but you can easily afford 3 or 4 of them.  They're addictive.  :3

Hope this is helpful?

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 04:54:44 pm »
Only 30 dollars? Wow, thats cheap!
Then the smalles ones would be the only I could afford right now. xD
I'll have to look for that store next time I go t LA.

Thanks very much!

Offline 2otaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:51 pm »
Is there a dollfie gathering at Kumoricon? There was at Sakura. I'll be bringing a crew with me, 3 maybe 4 if Dollmore gets moving in the next 2 days, dang it! All mine are the 40-45cm size that actually go anywhere with me. I don't like draging the 60cm's around.

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »
I'm running a panel on Asian Resin Ball-Jointed dolls on Monday morning at 9:00.  ^_^  I go over a lot of the basics there.  People will probably bring their dolls, too, which is what happened at Sakura-Con.
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:28 pm »
Yeah, over on DoA people were talking about having meetups, but noone has come up with a time as far as I know. I'm just going with the flow of whatever time they choose. XD I'll have my two boys with me this year. <3

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:21 am »
Noooooo..... TT_TT They're trying to kill me in my sleep.

I can totally understand the obsession with them, they're cool as a concept.
but in real life they just creep me out way too much. It's like they're from a Japanese Twilight Zone episode.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline lit by twilight

• Cabbit
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 01:16:39 pm »
There was a woman with a little doll shop in Beaverton for a while that had a couple (that were absolutely gorgeous), but her shop closed down and she had to sell everything.. unfortunately her hours weren't very convenient and I could never make it there in time to search for them, but there's a possibility that there might be another little hole-in-the-wall doll shop that would have them. Keep in mind, they run $250~$300 when imported like she had them. D:

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 06:24:47 pm »
Aw that's too bad! I wish there were a doll shop around here! So far I've ordered all of my stuff online. Sometimes at conventions you'll be able to buy certain dolls, depending on whether there's a doll shop in the dealers room or not. I know I've seen them at cons before, but I forget if I've ever seen one at Kcon or not. XD

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 09:07:31 pm »
I don't have any real ones because they're too expensive T_T

I have a Mini Mercu, and 2 mini Blythe dolls.  All of my Balljointed dolls are Dollikins from the 1970's and they aren't Japanese.  I am still hoping to make one or two cute outfits so I can bring themz.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline kuri_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:39 am »
lol. I recently got into the ball joint dolls a while back. And that little hole in the wall doll shop in Beaverton was where I got my mana just before she closed down. Her web site is still active though. you can order through her. I think her web page is stella's doll house or something. Also, here is a link to a page of most of the doll sites. At least you cna shop around a bit.

Yes the dolls are expensive. I think some people are being shy, but that won't help you. Volk's dolls specifically can hit the 3000 (at least that was the price for their suigintou doll). However I'v seen them as low as 100. Keep in mind that the price ranges change for the sizes of the dolls.

there are the larger doll's ranging from 60cm to 80(that was the highest I've heard).
the medium dolls which are around 40 cm.
and the tinies which have the broadest catagory. I have a puki who's no taller than my pinky. (not kidding)

so depending on the size is the price you'll end up with.

Oh and most sizes are in cm. So, if you're like most Americans (myself included) and didn't learn the conversions (me again) you might want a measuring tape for like sewing or something to measure out the size. photo's are very misleading. VERY.

I hope this helps a bit. I know I could have used some explaining like that before I bought my puki.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 10:31:56 am »
Haha I've been so interested in getting a tiny, but I'm almost scared of them. Like....so many tiny parts to lose. D: Pukis are so cute though that I can hardly resist!! Meanwhile I'm also drooling over the 80cm dolls, but I'm afraid that they'll suck to carry around since they seem so heavy and tall. XD

Offline kuri_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 01:26:14 pm »
Haha I've been so interested in getting a tiny, but I'm almost scared of them. Like....so many tiny parts to lose. D: Pukis are so cute though that I can hardly resist!! Meanwhile I'm also drooling over the 80cm dolls, but I'm afraid that they'll suck to carry around since they seem so heavy and tall. XD

well you can see mine when you get to the con. Actually it's not all that easy to lose their parts thanks to the magnet. I just use another magnet to find them if I drop one.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 03:47:28 pm »
Oh yayyy~ I'd love to see it! Lol, that's awesome about the magnets. They're just so cute. n.n

Offline 2otaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 12:57:15 am »

well you can see mine when you get to the con. Actually it's not all that easy to lose their parts thanks to the magnet. I just use another magnet to find them if I drop one.

Too funny. I understand to Fairyland MiniFee's have the magnets on the hands now too. I haven't gotten any of those, I'm afraid I'd loose them. I like to get dolls not everyone else gets. I bought the Dollshe Moon just before they stopped selling her. My daughter fell in love with Mushi so she's hers now. I don't have the huge ones just because they are so freakn' heavy! My advice is to start with the 40-45cm size.

I'll check over on DoA for con info, thanks.

Offline Cornstarch

• Cabbit
    • ANGLCon.com
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 01:44:22 pm »
I may have one of my dolls on display in the dealers room, though I will not be selling dolls, I may have some clothing for sale. However there is a dollfie panel at some point during con. I know people were having a hard time deciding a time. but we all discussed it over at Den of Angels forums.

I would suggest reading the DoA FAQ's about dollfies if you want to buy one - it has great resources.