Author Topic: plotting  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
plotting
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:17:27 pm »
Hi all
I'm from Australia and I'm thinking of coming to Kumoricon this year (assuming work approves the leave I want). If all goes to plan, it would be my 12th US convention and possibly my 23rd overall. ^_^

At the moment, I’m planning out my major transport so that I can just sent it off and pay for stuff as soon as work approves my leave request. So I’m wondering what the best way to/from Portland would be.

At the moment, I'm planning to be in Seattle before Kumoricon. The last time I was in the area, I took an Amtrak thruway bus from Vancouver to Seattle to connect to the Amtrak Cascades, but that ended up cutting things a bit too close. So would people recommend bus (Greyhound), train (Amtrak), plane or car (finding a lift).

After Kumoricon, I'd have to get to Chicago-O'hare for my next flight on my Round the World ticket. (On the ticket I’d be getting, if I go to Otakon, I wouldn't be able to go back west past the Midwest/Texas and thus any flights back to the west coast will be extra 'off ticket' flights)
I can work out the flight details myself, but I’m wondering what transport from the convention/hotel to PDX is like and what PDX itself is like (security/check in wise).

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
Re: plotting
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »
Hmm.....As for reccommending......? I would suggest flying to Portland if you can, but Seattle is sweet too......But, then I would suggest Amtrak. They don't have a lot of delays and it's pretty cheap.

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:38:58 pm »
These are my current plans for North America:

August 5-7   New York
August 7-10   Baltimore (Otakon Aug 8-10)
August 10-14   Chicago area
August 14-17   Columbus (Anime Iowa Aug 15-17)
August 17-21   Denver ?
August 21-24   Vancouver (Anime Evolution Aug 22-24) ?
August 24-29   Seattle
August 29-September 1   Portland (Kumoricon Aug 30-Sep 1)
> flight to Madrid via Chicago, New York or Miami (Chicago is easier due to flight times and ticket restrictions)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
It is VERY easy to get from PDX to the 2008 convention hotel.

Portland's light rail train system, MAX, had a train that goes from the airport straight through downtown. There is a stop on the line just across the street from the hotel. All you have to do is go through the airport to the lower level (luggage pick up section) and find the south exit onto the train platform! Once you're on the train there should be signs detailing the route and if you need to, you can just write a note reminding yourself to get off at the "Lloyd Center" stop.

Lloyd Center is the biggest mall in Oregon so it is always clearly labeled on the route maps and signs.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:28:35 pm »
Is Lloyd Center in that downtown 'free' zone? I think I might have been there the last time I was in Portland (Aug 06).

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 07:56:44 pm »
Is Lloyd Center in that downtown 'free' zone? I think I might have been there the last time I was in Portland (Aug 06).

Yup it is! Here's a link to a downloadable PDF map of fareless square: http://trimet.org/fares/fareless.htm

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Himeno

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:43:01 pm »
:) That means I know where I'm going now and don't have to keep wondering where/when I need to get off.