Author Topic: How do you learn how to make cosplay?  (Read 4804 times)

oslapedo

How do you learn how to make cosplay?
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:59:33 pm »
I am, a self-professed n00b at many things, and one of the most annoying aspects of my n00bliness is my ineptitude at Cosplay. Kumoricon will be my first anime con, and I'd love to blend in with my flamboyantly nerdy compadres ith an intense cosplay. I have a few issues though; I've never sewn in my life, and I refuse to buy costumes that other people have made. Such is my round robin of turmoil and nerdly angst. So I was wondering if any of the spiffy awesome cosplayers here could spread their wisdom, and maybe cure a few souls along the way  :D

I was thinking about doing Haruhi Suzumiya, but I don't know where to start at all. Any helpful hints, or general tips to an aspiring cosplayer?  ;)

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
Re: How do you learn how to make cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:06:49 pm »
My mommy helps me sew <3
*is hit*

More like she's teaching me.  It's her sewing machine, after all.

Anyway, when buying fabric and stuff, always have a reference with you.  That way, if you get completely lost and aren't afraid to ask anyone, the employees at the fabric store will try and point you in the right direction.  (Also good for color matching. :3)
Also, look through the pattern books.  Sometimes there are some out there that are exactly what you're looking for, or just need some slight alteration.

Get an experienced seamstress (Or just someone who sews in general) and have them help, too.  They probably know their way around patterns and sewing machines.

Er...I hope that helped.  I don't know what kind of access you have to references.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:13:32 pm by Kotoumi »
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Catmegan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »
You want to be Haruhi?

Ok so you're going to want to buy a pattern, specially if you haven't sewn anything before. A cheerleader pattern will most likely be your best bet. Make sure you know your own measurements, pattern sizes are different than the clothes you buy in a store. The Fuku is going to be a pain in the butt! But it's ok cause the bow will cover up the mistakes.  Please PLEASE get the skirt the right length. Most people make the skirt to long. Make sure you have someone who knows how to sew help you when you're starting out. otherwise you shall fail!

I personally would reconmend a simplier cosplay if you have NEVER sewn before.

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:07 pm »
eh i would say take a sewing class if you have a community school around, but you are pretty young for it, home ed class? You can get plenty of resources right from the internet, this is a good place to start if you have a how to anything! http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page  That way you have the basics or maybe even get some other links. Hope it helps =/
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline jupiter13_00

• Chibi
    • Fanarts
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:52:19 am »
There is no shame in making a costume by buying pieces either. For something like the pleated skirt which would be hard to sew... you could probably find a bottom of a cheerleader outfit *as mentioned above about patterns* at a costume store. And if you're lucky you can get one in white then just dye it the right color blue. Some of the best cosplays aren't all hand made. It's more about looking the part you want to be, not stressing over getting the costume done. Learning a good balance between making parts and buys parts is really the best way to go.
KumoriCon 2010

Did you see us? Me and my Boyfriend were the Eyesheild 21 cosplayers.

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:27:19 pm »
Well, my mother taught me how to sew back when I was a teenager and helped me to work on my cosplay back in the day.

You can always take a sewing class! Most Fabric stores have monthly sewing classes.  ;)
.empty movement.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
I don't like to sew much either, most of the things I sew end up like crap. One one best friend when it comes to making a costume is a hot glue gun. It works really well in holding things together and it can do almost anything sewing can. The costume on my avatar was put together with very little sewing (the shirt, which I was just altering a little not making from scratch, and the belt) the rest was done with a glue gun, even the hair extensions in the wig XD.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:06:18 pm »
I gotta say, starting cosplay is a lot of trial and error. My first cosplay was Dirge of Cerberus Yuffie, and I gotta say that I got better as I went along. It wasn't until about a week or so ago that I learned how to use my buttonhole foot, and I've had my sewing machine for just a little less than a year.

Start by getting some really cheap fabric at Wal-Mart and trying stuff on that. When you feel pretty confident... Then try an easy cosplay. Haruhi is right up there with friggin' Sailor Moon.

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:31:18 pm »
Wow, this all helps a lot , so gold stars for everyone :)
My mommy helps me sew <3
*is hit*

More like she's teaching me.  It's her sewing machine, after all.

Anyway, when buying fabric and stuff, always have a reference with you.  That way, if you get completely lost and aren't afraid to ask anyone, the employees at the fabric store will try and point you in the right direction.  (Also good for color matching. :3)
Also, look through the pattern books.  Sometimes there are some out there that are exactly what you're looking for, or just need some slight alteration.

Get an experienced seamstress (Or just someone who sews in general) and have them help, too.  They probably know their way around patterns and sewing machines.

Er...I hope that helped.  I don't know what kind of access you have to references.
I wish my mom knew how to sew *hits self from jealous rage* ;) By references do you mean like pictures and whatnot? Because those are easily accesible to me on the internetz.

You want to be Haruhi?

Ok so you're going to want to buy a pattern, specially if you haven't sewn anything before. A cheerleader pattern will most likely be your best bet. Make sure you know your own measurements, pattern sizes are different than the clothes you buy in a store. The Fuku is going to be a pain in the butt! But it's ok cause the bow will cover up the mistakes.  Please PLEASE get the skirt the right length. Most people make the skirt to long. Make sure you have someone who knows how to sew help you when you're starting out. otherwise you shall fail!

I personally would reconmend a simplier cosplay if you have NEVER sewn before.
Yeah I want to be Haruhi, is that who you're going as? I've actually been thinking about all the Haruhi's that are potentially going, so I might pull a Kyonko, but the costume would be essentially the same  :D

Haruhi is right up there with friggin' Sailor Moon.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?  :D

Once again, thanks everybody. I'll hopefully get to go to a fabrics store tommorrow ;D Oh and also, I was wondering how long it usually takes people to make cosplay. I hope I don't run out of time or anything  :D

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 07:41:38 pm »
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Sailor fuku collars are the devil's work and should only be attempted by trained professionals and those crazy Sera Myu cosplayers. But then again, if you know what you're doing then go for it.

But yeah. If you don't know what you're doing, then any cosplay can look bad. My first Yuffie looked terrible because I didn't know what I was doing.

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:51:51 pm »
Wow, this all helps a lot , so gold stars for everyone :)
*snip*
I wish my mom knew how to sew *hits self from jealous rage* ;) By references do you mean like pictures and whatnot? Because those are easily accesible to me on the internetz.
*snip*
Once again, thanks everybody. I'll hopefully get to go to a fabrics store tommorrow ;D Oh and also, I was wondering how long it usually takes people to make cosplay. I hope I don't run out of time or anything  :D
=]

Yep, pictures.  Lots of them, and try for a couple different angles.  Usually a backview, frontview, and side is good enough, but go with however many you think will help.  (I've gotten two characters on one sheet before, but one was really simple and the other not so much)

As for time, once I really get into it it takes about a week or two to make something like the Ouran girls' uniform or a kimono from a pattern (with alterations), but that's working at it about 3 hours 5 out of 7 days.
That was confusing, wasn't it?  Heheh...But it adds up to about 15 hours a week.  (Another but, this is coming from this year, and I'm trying to work on two things at once.)

Oh yeah, another bit of advice - if you go for patterns, do not get the ones from Vogue as a beginner.  My friend did that and my mom wanted to throw the machine my friend out the window.  xD  They're complicated, to say the least.  I don't think I'll ever get near one again, even with more experience.  x_X;

PS - Pleated skirts aren't all that hard, in my opinion, with the right pattern.  I can't say about the top, though.

KumoriCon 2014

oslapedo

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:15:38 pm »
Sailor fuku collars are the devil's work and should only be attempted by trained professionals and those crazy Sera Myu cosplayers. But then again, if you know what you're doing then go for it.

But yeah. If you don't know what you're doing, then any cosplay can look bad. My first Yuffie looked terrible because I didn't know what I was doing.
Hahaha, I don't know at all what I'm doing  :D I'm going to try and get assistance from some random person at some random fabrics store. I'm determined to have an awesome first cosplay :)

=]

Yep, pictures.  Lots of them, and try for a couple different angles.  Usually a backview, frontview, and side is good enough, but go with however many you think will help.  (I've gotten two characters on one sheet before, but one was really simple and the other not so much)

As for time, once I really get into it it takes about a week or two to make something like the Ouran girls' uniform or a kimono from a pattern (with alterations), but that's working at it about 3 hours 5 out of 7 days.
That was confusing, wasn't it?  Heheh...But it adds up to about 15 hours a week.  (Another but, this is coming from this year, and I'm trying to work on two things at once.)

Oh yeah, another bit of advice - if you go for patterns, do not get the ones from Vogue as a beginner.  My friend did that and my mom wanted to throw the machine my friend out the window.  xD  They're complicated, to say the least.  I don't think I'll ever get near one again, even with more experience.  x_X;

PS - Pleated skirts aren't all that hard, in my opinion, with the right pattern.  I can't say about the top, though.

That wasn't very confusing at all :) And I don't eve know what Vogue is, so I guess that's good too  :D

OT- Did you really do an Ouran girl uniform? That is so cool! There's too many Ouran men traipsing about  :D

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:23:43 pm »
Pattern and fashion company, that's all you really need to know other than the hard part.  x]

OT - Yep 8D  I've been one of the minority at the con for the past two years.  In '06 I was half of them, and last year I saw two others that didn't come to the tea party.  I want that to happen again!  xD

Anyway, if you ever need more help, keep asking.  It's fun. 8D

KumoriCon 2014

oslapedo

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 08:19:39 am »
Thank you so much kotoumi! I'm sure I'll have billions of questions once I get the fabric and attempt to start  :D

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 03:59:16 pm »
I found a pattern online for the collar and I have made two and they both turned out great. They are really easy to make and the instructions, though hand drawn, are really easy to follow. I'll look for the link if you are interested.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 04:33:47 pm »
Alright, so I hit Joann fabrics and they have a basic 2 1/2 hr. class (1 session only) for 25 dollars. It's described as sewing 101 aka something that would be hella useful for beginners out there. I might look into it if I have the extra money. It's definitely worth looking into though ^^
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 12:26:56 pm »
It's actually very easy if you have a processed mind like I do, I basicallly make everything on my cosplay without a pattern.
Don't forget you can always half ass a cosplay like mine.
My TMoHS cosplay, the skirt was bought at forever 21 for only 10 dollars and it matches to the fabric i used to make the sailor fuku collar,
Which is the only thing I used a pattern for, and the arms. I used a seperate lighter blue for the inside and i just used a regular white short sleeved t-shirt and added everything on here ^_^
Oh and as I said, I'd be willing to make one for you, check the TMoHS forum.

oslapedo

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 06:32:44 pm »
I found a pattern online for the collar and I have made two and they both turned out great. They are really easy to make and the instructions, though hand drawn, are really easy to follow. I'll look for the link if you are interested.
Really? That's amazing! I would love me some online patterns! The more aid I get the better  :D I've got some potential golden cyber stars up for grabs...  ;)

Alright, so I hit Joann fabrics and they have a basic 2 1/2 hr. class (1 session only) for 25 dollars. It's described as sewing 101 aka something that would be hella useful for beginners out there. I might look into it if I have the extra money. It's definitely worth looking into though ^^
Cool beans! I hope they have a Joanns fabrics in Roseburg that would make my heart very happy, almost as happy your great advice made it! :)

It's actually very easy if you have a processed mind like I do, I basicallly make everything on my cosplay without a pattern.
Don't forget you can always half ass a cosplay like mine.
My TMoHS cosplay, the skirt was bought at forever 21 for only 10 dollars and it matches to the fabric i used to make the sailor fuku collar,
Which is the only thing I used a pattern for, and the arms. I used a seperate lighter blue for the inside and i just used a regular white short sleeved t-shirt and added everything on here ^_^
Oh and as I said, I'd be willing to make one for you, check the TMoHS forum.
*checked TMoHS forum* ;)
Half ass? Lulz  :D I bet it looks uber awesome. I'm really curious to see how your cosplay turned out sugarlat. Do you have any pics?  ;D

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 01:12:44 am »
o.o oh yeah
I'll post them in my cosplay critique soon.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:51 am »
o.o oh yeah
I wanna see!  :D

oslapedo

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 06:42:16 pm »
o.o oh yeah
I wanna see!  :D
Ich auch! I bet your pictures could get my cosplay making juices pumpin  ;D

Offline Kexita

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 09:32:19 pm »
Let me tell you what ive done for my cosplays that ive been doing since k con 05. I myself have basic sewing skills, but I never have the patience to make things from scratch. What I do is shop at thrift stores and pick up pieces that are similar to the outfit I need. Then, using my basic sewing skills, I modify the pieces to make them perfect. For instance, I was Kabuto one year, yeah? The dark blue top and bottoms were both from the thrift store, and the sash was just a brown scarf. The wig was from party city, as were the glasses, and the shoes were also bought and modified from the thrift store.

that having been said, Im sure it doesnt sound very impressive. but it can actually yield some pretty fantastic results.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Kyumi/Kumori_Con_2006_cosplay_Kabuto_by_K.jpg
not the best picture in the world, but you can get the general idea. (the fangirls wouldn't leave me alone...aiyee! everyone thought i was a boy! xD)

This year for shion, my top is just a white sweater, and im going to remove the sleeves. bam! perfect.

After having sifted through the thread, It seems like everyone has already pointed you in the right direction for your haruhi costume. But for future costumes, you can keep these ideas in mind.  :) happy cosplaying!
2005-Cat girl
2006-Kabuto, Anti Sora, sai
2007-Beauty Queen Etna
2008-Sonozaki Shion (Or am i mion? hee hee<3)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Kyumi/Picture005.jpg
Have you seen me? Im on the right and i went missing during k-con 2007! Please

oslapedo

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 11:23:11 am »
Oh wow, that's a great cosplay! I personally hate Kabuto, but you make him smexy!  ;D

I'm kind of in a rut, for making my cosplay though. I asked my step-mom, and we have a sewing machine, but it hasn't been in use for a decade. I checked it out and it's beyond repair  :'( For my Raito cosplay I was just going to assemble assorted articles of clothing together anyways, but I think I might have to do that for my Kyonko too now, or else I'll have to buy a MoHS uniform  :-\

So thank you for the valuable advice! Saddeningly sewing is looking less and less like a viable option, so I might have to go with what you detailed Kexita  :)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 01:21:10 pm »
Well, I think you should try it. You might find it easier than you expect it.
All you have to do is think...It might hurt to think but nothing good comes without pain xD

Offline tori-chama

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 06:54:20 pm »
Get your mommy.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 08:42:23 pm »
^ Getting your mom works as well ^
[referring to the post above]

oslapedo

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:34 pm »
I don't mind thinking or anything, but I might have to buy the uniform from the internetz  :'( I took a trip up to Eugene with my friend last weekend and we couldn't find any good cosplay material. There was one great skirt, but it's only color was hot pink  :D

Buying the uniform is the only way I'll be able to cosplay from TMoHS but I feel really bad about it, since everyone gave me such wonderful advice. Some day I'll get a sewing machine and I'll make all of you proud!  ;D

If anyone one else is having issues with starting up their cosplays, then feel free to post your woes, since my problem has been so kindly attended to  :)