Author Topic: Cosplay Help/Chat/Progress  (Read 24893 times)

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cosplay Help/Chat/Progress
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 03:10:55 pm »
White lettering on blue background is hard! How should I go about this, Help Thread?
Why is it hard? o.o

You could paint the sign blue, then paint white letters; or paint the sign white, then paint blue around outlined letters; or paint the sign blue and use white letter stickers.

Well, the hard part is making the letters neat and similar font to the Final Fantasy menu, you see! I don't want this to look too poorly-made...

Well, I will keep your idea in mind and try to brainstorm something awesome, but I have to say, that sounds like one of the coolest ideas I've heard. I'd be so excited to cross paths with you during the con (because I am all about the Final Fantasy cosplays, and am going to be Barret Wallace). And you must be there for the FF mock battle (if we do it this year, hopefully we will). Anyway, yeah, it sounds kinda tough, but it would be super awesome if you pulled it off. So I'll try to rack my brain and come back, heh. Best of luck, though!

Well you just made my day! Thank yoooouuu! =D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:12:32 pm by Winfred »

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 04:17:08 pm »
White lettering on blue background is hard! How should I go about this, Help Thread?
Why is it hard? o.o

You could paint the sign blue, then paint white letters; or paint the sign white, then paint blue around outlined letters; or paint the sign blue and use white letter stickers.

Well, the hard part is making the letters neat and similar font to the Final Fantasy menu, you see! I don't want this to look too poorly-made...

Well then the problem isn't the color, it's the letters. You have to make outlines of them if you don't want to use stickers. You can make a stencil-type thing to make them all look the same, or do it freehand. Or if you want to use stickers, find stickers that are in the right font, or get sticker paper and download a font to print the letters out in and make them outlined to cut them out.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 06:15:05 pm »
So! I'm planning on being a Final Fantasy Inventory, with a big Sack o' Items an' all that; it's gonna be pretty cool or pretty lame. HOWEVER, I have nooo idea how I would neatly make a cardboard sign that has the menu on it with inventory/items selected. White lettering on blue background is hard! How should I go about this, Help Thread?
They have blue poster board and occasionally blue cardboard for projects at craft stores. There are also these weird markers I was looking at yesterday... I think they were called wood markers and they were hella awesome. My guess is that would work nicely. I didn't try the white marker but I think that it will show up on blue poster board. Paint might also work too ^^
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:16:26 pm by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 07:14:55 pm »
So! I'm planning on being a Final Fantasy Inventory, with a big Sack o' Items an' all that; it's gonna be pretty cool or pretty lame. HOWEVER, I have nooo idea how I would neatly make a cardboard sign that has the menu on it with inventory/items selected. White lettering on blue background is hard! How should I go about this, Help Thread?

First of all, this is the most epic thing ever since the Kingdom Hearts in-game command menu guy. I will seriously give you Materia if I see you (and that's something, what since I'll be Yuffie)!

Second of all, make a stencil for each letter you'll use, but only make one stencil for each letter. Then just get a piece of whatever you'll make it out of, paint that the gradient blue starter background, then paint on the white letters. You can get them pretty exact by blowing them up on your computer and then printing them to make outlines with which to make your letters. After that you can just go and touch up whatever you see fit!

And you'll definitely have to come to the mock-battle... When is that, anyway? I wanna fight me some Turkies!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 07:20:10 pm »

First of all, this is the most epic thing ever since the Kingdom Hearts in-game command menu guy. I will seriously give you Materia if I see you (and that's something, what since I'll be Yuffie)!

Second of all, make a stencil for each letter you'll use, but only make one stencil for each letter. Then just get a piece of whatever you'll make it out of, paint that the gradient blue starter background, then paint on the white letters. You can get them pretty exact by blowing them up on your computer and then printing them to make outlines with which to make your letters. After that you can just go and touch up whatever you see fit!

And you'll definitely have to come to the mock-battle... When is that, anyway? I wanna fight me some Turkies!
That is the way that I was thinking as well. If you don't want to paint in the letters then you can just cut them out on a paper and glue them to the menu.

But I guess I can see where you were worried. The gradient would be rather difficult to pain. Not impossible just difficult.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 07:20:39 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 07:39:23 pm »
So let's see here! I think I'll start with blue poster board, add the gradient, then stencils of each letters separately. Then I'd tape pictures of random characters on the side and just forget their stats (bleh to extra work >_<). Theeen I'd have a big backpack and throw in bags of red feathers for phoenix downs, juice boxes for potions, ramune for elixers, a separate pocket for Hammer Space, and other toys or whatever for everything else. Yessss, I've got this planned out! =D I appreciate the help/words of love frooom...-drumroll- Cassiopeia, EveofAbyss, Makichan, LtCommanderRichie, aaaand Nikkiolie! Thanks, y'all. -thumbs up- Also, tell me when that mock-battle is; it sounds rad.

And Teasel, there's some sort of scooter shop on about 33rd and Division that miiight have what you want, though I've never been in there to be sure. Best of luck, though!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:15:24 pm by Winfred »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 07:45:29 pm »
I am planning on getting a phoenix down. I need to bring Gaara back to life XD.

I love the idea. It is very original and a lot of people will recognize it. I don't think anyone has done something like that. Can't wait to see you at the con ^_^

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:11 am »
So let's see here! I think I'll start with blue poster board, add the gradient, then stencils of each letters separately. Then I'd tape pictures of random characters on the side and just forget their stats. Theeen I'd like a big sack and throw in bags of red feathers for phoenix downs, juice boxes for potions, and other toys or whatever for everything else. Yessss, I've got this planned out! =D I appreciate the help/words of love frooom...-drumroll- Cassiopeia, EveofAbyss, Makichan, LtCommanderRichie, aaaand Nikkiolie! Thanks, y'all. -thumbs up- Also, tell me when that mock-battle is; it sounds rad.

And Teasel, there's some sort of scooter shop on about 33rd and Division that miiight have what you want, though I've never been in there to be sure. Best of luck, though!

Yay! Sounds killer, I'm glad you have a plan now. ^_^
And the mock-battle will be during the Final Fantasy photoshoot, if it is like last year's. The Final Fantasy photoshoot does not have a solid time yet, but it will be sometime on Sunday. So yeah, we must all be there! ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 09:24:10 am »
I am going to try to be there because I want to see those fights. I think they will be EPIC!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 09:26:30 am »
It certainly was last year, heh. It was like a random battle that kept expanding, sucking in more and more characters. Totally broke the three members to a fight rule, heh. We had pretty much the entire FFVII party fighting against the entire TURK team, heh. And then someone summoned Darth Vader....and it was all over, lol.

Well, then Cloud bribed Rude, and then it was all over, lol. It was awesome.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:55 am »
wow I can not miss that this year. I will keep and eye out for the photo shoot time.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:58 am »
Yeah, it was a blast. My only regret is that I got sucked into it before I gave my camera to someone to film it. I would have loved to have video footage of it, but alas...so I will remember this time, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:58 pm »
That sounds uber fun!
[Freaking out about what my mom is going to give me as a birthday present]
I really hope it's a camcorder XD
Then well make wonderful memories for our side meet ups and K-con on youtube XD

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:04 pm »
yes there needs to be a video on youtube. That would make it much more epic.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 10:56:56 pm »
i just started a new possible cosplay >_< someone tell me to stop starting new projects!!
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2008, 11:58:55 pm »
My wig is almost finished being colored ^^
Yaaaaay <3
It's coming along nicely so far!
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:30 am »
i just started a new possible cosplay >_< someone tell me to stop starting new projects!!
I have that same problem....It's starting to have me not spend enough time on my other cosplays....
Like this Sai one I'm doing....I just decided recently to start it...

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2008, 03:26:47 am »
PUT THE EXTRA COSPLAYS DOWN AND GET TO WORK ON THE ONES THAT ARE ALMOST DONE!

There. I said it, everyone else was thinkin' it.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 06:23:56 am »
Focus on getting the ones that you already had planed done. I just got my ouran patches for Sakuracon and since my others cosplays are done I can work on that one a little. ^_^ One reason why it doesn't hurt to start on them earlier.

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:22 am »
Focus on getting the ones that you already had planed done. I just got my ouran patches for Sakuracon and since my others cosplays are done I can work on that one a little. ^_^ One reason why it doesn't hurt to start on them earlier.
Hm....My patch is late....
My friend should've gotten it by now...[I had him order it for me XD]
I'll have my mom sew the patch on my ouran cosplay so that can be done in like....10 minutes XD
I'm supposed to be doing commissions but....>>
The two haven't contacted me yet 0_<

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:10 am »
well i'm at a dead end with the other cosplays because they require store help and that takes money. which i should have but isn't coming this month. :/
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 11:39:45 am »
well i'm at a dead end with the other cosplays because they require store help and that takes money. which i should have but isn't coming this month. :/

Do you mean you need professional aide (like sewing advice or something?), or you just have things you still need to buy?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2008, 12:45:26 pm »
Hmm....K I need help!
I'm making a Sai cosplay and currently I'm working on the inner shirt.
I'm gonna say it's sleeveless...
I donno how to make it XD

Ref: http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll129/Zaku01/Behind_His_Smile__SAI_by_nernech.jpg

I don't even know how to start XD Help?

Ps: What type of fabric do you think this cosplay is made of?
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/kotoko1223/_Sai__by_seraphim_cry.jpg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:55:21 pm by Sugarlat »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2008, 12:53:22 pm »
Wait, so the top in the picture, is there two separate parts? It looks like it is just a one-piece jacket with seams sewn on. If that is the case, it should be pretty easy, but if there are two parts, that could be just as easy, but you'd have to do stuff differently. So it all depends on what it is.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2008, 12:58:55 pm »
Yeah It's two pieces.
I have an Idea, but I just don't know how to start XD
Also I modified it. There's a cosplay picture and I was wondering what type of fabric it looks like.
I have a stretchy cotton like black fabric but I don't think it's the right kind...
I'll probably have to go buy the fabric when I get out of work to go to fubon ^_^
I just need to know what works best, hence what type of fabric do you think is used in the picture?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 01:04:19 pm »
It looks like cotton to me, but I'm no expert.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »
Not a lot of people can tell XD
My mom can't tell either >> And she's a professional seamstress ><
I think I'll just try the stretchy cotton I have on hand and if it doesn't work i can just go buy whatever fabric looks closest XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 01:09:43 pm »
Yeah, a good amount of cosplay is guess n check. Good luck!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 01:17:20 pm »
So true!
Thanks! I'll get back with my progress every now and then XD
Hopefully I won't fail miserably!

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 01:46:42 pm »
Looks like a heavier-weight knit to me -- most likely cotton as it doesn't have a lot of sheen to it, though it could work as easily with a polycotton or polyester.  I think the key is to get something on the heavier side, though, so that your knit doesn't have too much stretch.

Just my two belated cents.  Good luck!

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 02:01:33 pm »
Thanks!
I'm adding the zipper on now but when i used the marrow machine i think i made one to short o_o
Well see how this works out XD

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:24 pm »

Do you mean you need professional aide (like sewing advice or something?), or you just have things you still need to buy?
its a need for fabric paint (black). and supersculpey or a hair thing shaped the way i need it.and to paint it and the cross yellow
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2008, 02:43:27 pm »
Ooh, that is a pretty tricky collection of needs. You could always try donating blood or plasma for some quick money; I'm actually considering that more and more as the con draws closer, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »
Do your parents give you money for work that you do? I powerwashed the drive way to get some money. I'm not sure if your parents are like that......you could wash peoples cars.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
That's a good idea, too. I just need someone in a bikini with a sign to lure cars in to get washed, lol. I don't think I could pull it off.  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2008, 08:12:15 pm »
I think you could get some customers.........and it would be really funny to see ^_^ I would give you money just to stand around in a bikini XD

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2008, 08:14:41 pm »
lol....ahh, I'm giving myself nightmares just thinking about it. But hey....anything for money, haha (just kidding, of course).

I'll add the idea to my "Last Ditch" list, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2008, 08:17:51 pm »
I know I would do anything for money if I really needed it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2008, 08:20:09 pm »
Well yeah, within reason heh. I'd never want to end up on the Howard Stern show or anything lol. I really am considering donating blood, plasma....whatever I can give that I can go without or regenerate eventually. Oooh, I could donate a part of my tongue, too! lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2008, 08:28:30 pm »
I would donate blood.....but i have low iron so it makes me really dizzy and I can't walk. I gave blood once and ......well I was stuck in the chair for two hours x.x

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2008, 08:31:35 pm »
ahh, that's no good. I have never donated blood, though I have had blood drawn. I actually like it, it is very relaxing for me. I remember in high school they were doing a blood drive and I went to donate, but ended up just sitting there for two hours or so and I never even got a chance to give blood or get screened. L8me. I wonder what else there is that you can get paid for giving?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2008, 08:33:42 pm »
.....welll you can give your man juice o.O XD. I mean if you need money that bad......

Offline khaosvanity

• Sailor Scout
    • Cosplay.com
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:17 pm »
I would donate blood.....but i have low iron so it makes me really dizzy and I can't walk. I gave blood once and ......well I was stuck in the chair for two hours x.x

Gah, I do too. That's why I don't/can't give blood. :'(
.empty movement.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2008, 08:36:51 pm »
lol, yeeah, forgot about that one. *scratches chin* I'm not that desperate yet, haha, good to know of, though.

I think I'll stick to the blood and plasma. I think if I remember right you can donate twice a week and get paid like 40 bucks per visit, so I should be able to make a nice cosplay fund from a couple weeks of visits.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »
wow that isn't that bad. I just got a job and I am making up for not working for the past of the month. I am working three or four eight hours shifts a week. Normally I wouldn't mind but if you are working for eight hours in retail it is really hard. My feet kill me after I am done. But I'll get enough money for the con to get my hair done one more time and extra money for school ^_^

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:19 pm »
Well, at least you're making money. I worked part time retail and it was enough to put me out. It was Hot Topic, so it was pretty crammed most of my shifts, but at least it was interesting, sometimes.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2008, 08:57:45 pm »
I work at K-mart. For the past two days I have been marking prices for eight hours x.x I wont even get to touch a register for another week. The one day they are doing register training I have a class.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2008, 08:58:52 pm »
Oh, that sounds painfully monotonous. I hope it doesn't drive you coconuts.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »
At the end of today the four of us had a system down. Two would take clothes on and off the rack while two would tag them. We did a wall in about 30 minutes. We were joking around a lot too. They were throwing the clothes at me x.x

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
Well that is helpful. I know when I had to do inventory, having friends or working in teams helped a great deal.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!