Author Topic: How many cosplays is too much? (for those with more than 3 costumes)  (Read 4598 times)

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
Okay, all you crazy folk out there who somehow arrived at the conclusion that one costume per day JUST WASN'T ENOUGH....
Who's doing more than 3 cosplays?
Who is doing the MOST cosplays?  (and are they all original to this con, or are you reprising any?)

For me, I'm trying to narrow it down to 3, but I think I may attempt 4, just because there are SO MANY I want to do, and this is the only con I'll probably go to all year.
 Then I'll randomly think of a character that'd be really cool to do and wouldn't be too expensive/time consuming to put together and want to do that one too!
But when will I even have time to wear them all?

how much is TOO much??

P.S.-  no matter how I word my subject line, it sounds weird to me... ^^; eheheh...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:16:13 am by misamisa »
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
Re: How many cosplays is too much? (for those with more than 3 costumes)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:21 am »
I have yet to do more than three cosplays for a con, or more than a single change in a day.  Admittedly, part of this is that I've got a lot of sewing to do to finish up things that are almost there -- once I'm past that, Toomuchtowearcon, here I come!  Part of it's also transport: I'm flying up for Kcon, and with airline restrictions on baggage, the less I bring the better.  (That said, I've planned for three and just maybe a fourth if I'm insane, and I'm already posting things up to my family to bring down because I can't bring them on the plane.)  Part of it's just laziness. :D

My baby sister tends to change two or even three times a day, most days.  I'm not sure how many she's got planned for Kcon, only that there are a LOT.  It never seems to bother her to do that.

I think, if the hotel's close enough (unlike AX this year, for example), that doing more than a single cosplay per day's not a problem, unless perhaps there are extensive makeup details or stuff like that.  Some cosplays you don't want to try to put on in a rush, and a lot of the time, changing seems to come with that.  It also depends on what con is for you, I think -- if it's about cosplay, then that's different from those who go for panels or gaming or whatever.

... and I have no idea if this answers any of what you were asking.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:45 am »
This is my first year at K-con but in past conventions I've done just a single costume.  This year though I'm bringing all the cosplay I have...I think it's seven(?)  See my sig.  But I have so much fun in them I can never decide who to be.  So i'm going to do one main one.  Then have a few just for photo shoots, one for the masquerade and then a few others I'll just change into when I get bored of the main one XD

Since I'm not doing the cosplay contests I don't have to worry too much if I don't wear one for too long or anything.  I just like getting pictures taken and doing events and that requires new outfits.  I went just as Tohru Honda for AOD '06 and though it was fun the first day and we got tons of pictures taken, the next day it was just all 'eh, seen it' kind of thing.  So it's fun for me if I spice it by changing costumes.  Plus, it throws people off and that's jsut funny to watch.  X3

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:43:20 am »
Same as Kori up there.
I just happen to come across anime's that i feel like cosplaying,
plus I want to go all out since this is my first Kumoricon [and possibly the last con I'll ever be attending....]
I'm going to be in a lot of events that require different cosplays.
Like the maid squad, host club, like 5 photo shoots, cosplay contest, and some other things I'm forgetting about...
To be honest I'll probably be so busy every time you see me I'll probably be in a different cosplay XD

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:48 am »
I'm only bringing four, but what those costumes lack in quantity they make up for in the sheer size of their props. Next Sakuracon I'll be hard-pressed to settle on three costumes, especially since I'm failing to resist the siren call of D.Gray-Man costumes.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »
... and I have no idea if this answers any of what you were asking.

Oh yeah, all of your comments help.  :D
I'm basically just looking for anyone's opinions on the matter or advice from those who've done it.  Or just random thoughts about the idea. 

I don't think I'll have a hotel room this year, so I'm thinking I'll stash all of my costume supplies in the trunk of my car, and on a day where I want to do a costume change, I'll grab my stuff and go change in a restroom.  None of my cosplays involve much makeup work, just outfit changes and wig changes.  I think it might be fun to change partway through the day.
I only had two cosplays last year, and on the last day I changed partway through and confused a few people.  ;D
I think I may go for 5 this year.  :D
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:29:50 pm »
I'm doing two this year. I've decided to spend more time on less cosplay, if that makes sense.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:32:53 pm »
  It also depends on what con is for you, I think -- if it's about cosplay, then that's different from those who go for panels or gaming or whatever.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me.  For me, the con is pretty much about cosplay.  There are really no guests that I'm particularly interested in, I'll probably check out at least a few panels, but most of my con enjoyment comes from going around admiring costumes, snapping & posing for pictures and just being someone else when I'm in costume.  Costumes also make me more outgoing and bizarre.  I will do things in costume I may not normally do.
Wandering into public in costume is tons of fun for me too.

Costumes make the con fun!

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:56 pm »
Yeah.  For me it's all about the cosplay.  I probably won't go to very many panels.  I'm doing photo shoots, the masquerade and then dance stuff.  The rest of the things I'm doing like the chess, fanfic contest and such is all before hand sign-up stuff.  The hotel I'm staying at is four blocks away though since the whole thing was booked full, but that's okay.  I'll run back and forth if I have to XD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:54:23 pm »
I've only ever done one but I did  dres up all three days. this year I'm doing two. my next con will be all three days maybe a few more for different events.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Invader spleen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:08 pm »
This is off-topic but I was looking at this and got up to grab the charger for my lap top and when I came back my cat was sitting on the lap top and he managed to bookmark this page. I just thought that was funny. And I can't imagine how people can fit more than one cosplay a day, unless it's just for photo shoots. XP

Offline katayamadono

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
This is the first year I'll have more than one! And I'm bringing Four!!!!! Maybe... One of which I'd only be able to wear for part of a day because it will be hot and my arms will be tied together...
But for S-con I plan to do at the least six.
I think I will never do more than 8 in one weekend.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 03:33:46 pm »
I am only doing two and it is hard for me to choose what day to do them. My friends are doing the other two out of the sand trio for all three days and they want me to do the same but I spent so much time on Albel and he is my favorite character of all time. I think what I settled on is going as Albel to pre-reg on Friday and the con on Saturday and then Temari Sunday and Monday.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:02 pm »
I am only doing two and it is hard for me to choose what day to do them. My friends are doing the other two out of the sand trio for all three days and they want me to do the same but I spent so much time on Albel and he is my favorite character of all time. I think what I settled on is going as Albel to pre-reg on Friday and the con on Saturday and then Temari Sunday and Monday.

Alebel is so hot.  XD  And you gotta love Crisspin Freeman for him.  Sorry, off topic I suppose.

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 06:40:25 pm »
Next Sakuracon I'll be hard-pressed to settle on three costumes, especially since I'm failing to resist the siren call of D.Gray-Man costumes.

Do it, do it, do it!

(C'mon, if I've gone over to the Bling Side, it's only fair some people cross back.  You know you want to.  :D )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:10 pm »

Alebel is so hot.  XD  And you gotta love Crisspin Freeman for him.  Sorry, off topic I suppose.

I know he is hot that is why I chose him. ^_^

oh and i so want to go as Allen Walker one day. I love him! He is so cute and I must find a plushie of him *goes off to look*
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:30:03 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:33:51 pm »
Next Sakuracon I'll be hard-pressed to settle on three costumes, especially since I'm failing to resist the siren call of D.Gray-Man costumes.

Do it, do it, do it!

(C'mon, if I've gone over to the Bling Side, it's only fair some people cross back.  You know you want to.  :D )

I am. I'm doing Lavi's first coat for Halloween. It's simple, and doesn't involve fabric paint and/or lots of fanangling. What is with his new pants, anyway? DX I would end up dreading them. GAH, I have to start working on Valclav soon too. I've got too many costumes!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:38 am »
You can NEVER have too many costumes..... well, maybe... I've sold about 30 of my costumes because I ran out of room and wanted to make more. Besides, after about 20+ years of use, some of those costume were getting pretty threadbare.  :D

I think the most costumes I ever actually wore at a 3-day convention was 12. Then either the conventions were at hotels where you HAVE to take the elevator to get up to the rooms (long lines, too much time to wait to go back up to room) or were at TALL hotels and I didn't feel like running up 8 flights of stairs so many times a day.... So now in general I bring anywhere from 4 - 6 costumes using 2-3 the first day, 1 or 2 the second, and usually only one on the 3rd day (mostly due to exhaustion and the fact that we're usually checked out of the hotel room so there's no place to leave the extra costueme)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:32 am »
You can NEVER have too many costumes..... well, maybe... I've sold about 30 of my costumes because I ran out of room and wanted to make more. Besides, after about 20+ years of use, some of those costume were getting pretty threadbare.  :D

I think the most costumes I ever actually wore at a 3-day convention was 12. Then either the conventions were at hotels where you HAVE to take the elevator to get up to the rooms (long lines, too much time to wait to go back up to room) or were at TALL hotels and I didn't feel like running up 8 flights of stairs so many times a day.... So now in general I bring anywhere from 4 - 6 costumes using 2-3 the first day, 1 or 2 the second, and usually only one on the 3rd day (mostly due to exhaustion and the fact that we're usually checked out of the hotel room so there's no place to leave the extra costueme)

12?! to me that's a lot. in only three days too. how did you ever pull it off?
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 08:31:14 am »
wow....I ......just wow. I could never imagine trying to fit 12 costumes in three days. I guess thats because at the moment I have a total of three completed ;D 

I am working on my fourth but I am not sure if I am going to wear it to kumoricon or not (it was planed for Sakuracon). I want to do more that just one for Sakuracon but I can't think of anything that I would like to do.....well thats not true. There is lots I would like to do just a lot of work to them. I think I am going to try to go as Jakotsu for Sakuracon as well as Hikaru Hitachiin.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 08:53:41 am »
For the past two years I have only done one costume per weekend, but this year I am actually doing two! Yeah, that's a lot for me. I can't see myself ever doing more than two per weekend, mainly because I like to focus a lot on the one or two characters that I want to do, and not spread myself too thin. But I don't think there is a reasonable limit to number of costumes anyone could or should do. As long as you don't give quantity more priority than quality, then it is all good and you could do a hundred even! lol Well, I dunno about that....heh

But yeah, I'm only doing two, probably will never do more than that for one weekend.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 08:55:45 am »

I think the most costumes I ever actually wore at a 3-day convention was 12. Then either the conventions were at hotels where you HAVE to take the elevator to get up to the rooms (long lines, too much time to wait to go back up to room) or were at TALL hotels and I didn't feel like running up 8 flights of stairs so many times a day.... So now in general I bring anywhere from 4 - 6 costumes using 2-3 the first day, 1 or 2 the second, and usually only one on the 3rd day (mostly due to exhaustion and the fact that we're usually checked out of the hotel room so there's no place to leave the extra costume)

12?! to me that's a lot. in only three days too. how did you ever pull it off?

Very easily....First of all, since I've been doing costuming 22+ years I have a lot of costumes (I average about 2 - 5 new costumes a year) and I reuse older ones for several conventions before finally retiring or selling them.  The convention that I wore 12 costumes to I had a first floor room right next to the main con space that year, so I just popped into the room every 2-3 hours and switched out to a different costume. I ordered the costumes in a way such that I didn't have to restyle my hair much or wash off makeup (I did add some makeup or pull on a wig or two). The trick was to show up to the convention hotel the night prior to the start of the convention and have everything organized so all you had to do is go into the room, strip and pull the next costume on. Quite simple.  :D   I mean you have gone to a store and tried on a bunch of clothes, right? It doesn't take all that long to switch clothing... it's just organization that makes it work. Besides, some of my costumes - like the Katamari and Sesshoumaru - are ones that I really can only tolerate wearing for a short time because of the weight of the costume so I have to switch out often

I think this year I'm only going to bring 5 costumes... well, maybe 6... depends on whether I have the additional one ready.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:01:29 am by Runa »

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:08:12 pm »
I've always made a wicked attempt to do ONE the entire con. o_o But my friends always wrap me up in some other project, and I wind up with two. XD Aurg. <3 I love them, and when I promise to do costumes, I sure as hell will.
Meep, keeping my table clean for SakuraCon, though. I wanna do Miku, from Vocaloid. c:
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 10:12:09 pm »

You, lady, are a hero to the people.   :D
Well, I realized the idea of a fourth costume was driving me nuts, and once I got really motivated and decided on my main three, I made amazing progress and I love my costumes to death.  At this point I don't think a fourth will happen, unless I finish super-early, start feeling antsy and find something awesome that I can do quickly.  But I think now I just want a lot of people to see the costumes I've been working on.  I'm proud of them. :D

oslapedo

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »
I personally want to cosplay a ton of characters, but since this is my first con I'll probably only have 3, maybe 4. Maybe I'll pull a superman, and intensely change cosplay in a telephone booth  :D

Btw, Crispin Freeman is a god! I <3 him!